TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Astro

Jake the Snake's opinion

Guest Nanks

I want to know what it is he does that warrants the employment of a Personal Assistant.

I miss Jake. :( Good points, but I doubt Vince will bother reading.

I went to see Jake the snake wrestle for wZw in Carlisle, England two months ago, and he is looking really good at the minute, he actually had a pretty good match with Phil Powers.

I bet if a young Jake Roberts debuted today fans and the 'net would hate him. Skinny, bad look, works slow, never runs, has a pet snake.

He'd get pissed, shit and spit on.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
I bet if a young Jake Roberts debuted today fans and the 'net would hate him. Skinny, bad look, works slow, never runs, has a pet snake.

He is a good interview. His "trust me" catchphrase was beyond compare.

Guest JMA
Maybe Jake doesn't like Jericho's strong born again beliefs.

Doubtful. If that were the case he would dislike Eddie as well.

I remember a Jake interview back a couple years when he said Jericho didn't protect his opposition's character enough. I think it was around the time when everyone and their mother was stealing each other's finishers in matches, late 2001 I think.

Guest JMA
I think he's saying things that make sense, but he is possibly the most incoherent person ever.

I think you're forgetting about someone...

wcwjanevents.jpg

I think he's saying things that make sense, but he is possibly the most incoherent person ever.

I think you're forgetting about someone...

wcwjanevents.jpg

Come on, there are others.

Savage, Sid, the current Piper anyone?

I remember a Jake interview back a couple years when he said Jericho didn't protect his opposition's character enough. I think it was around the time when everyone and their mother was stealing each other's finishers in matches, late 2001 I think.

He said that Jericho should not be lifting Rhyno around and suplexing him and stuff.

Maybe Jake doesn't like Jericho's strong born again beliefs.

Doubtful. If that were the case he would dislike Eddie as well.

He was kidding.

Guest Champ

HIRE THIS MAN AND PUT HIM AS THE HEAD OF CREATIVE, HE IS MAKING MORE SENSE THEN THE CURRENT WWE CREATIVE. I would put him in charge of creative in the Smackdown brand, since the brand is lacking in direction. It would be a breath of fresh air.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

wow wow wow. turn the caps OFF.

Let's put a crackhead in charge of Smackdown? Gee that's a great idea! Then let's get Charles Manson to do the Entrance Music and Ted Bundy to design sets.

Jake's a fool who burnt every bridge possible...twice. He doesn't deserve another chance.

There are some good thoughts in there but nothing that hasn't been said by dozens of other internet writers and in much clearer language too.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Jake excelled at working crowds with his face and heel antics, so I don't doubt him being able to get over these days.

Guest netslob
Let's put a crackhead in charge of Smackdown? Gee that's a great idea! Then let's get Charles Manson to do the Entrance Music and Ted Bundy to design sets.

whoa, how does a man who has a crack addiction, which doesn't hurt anyone but himself, somehow equate with a man who kills people? i can't seem to follow that logic.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
whoa, how does a man who has a crack addiction, which doesn't hurt anyone but himself, somehow equate with a man who kills people? i can't seem to follow that logic.

It doesn't, but Jake deserves no chance. His alcohol & drug abuse have time after time fucked his life over, and bringing him into the wrestling scene (big time, not Indy shows) only makes him worse.

Guest Trivia247

Ok Didn't Jake get into some real trouble fairly recently with him and a under fed Snake he had in a bag which he smacked a wrestler wiith in England?

I thought they were going to charge him with animal cruelity I didn't hear if the snake died or not.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
I thought they were going to charge him with animal cruelity I didn't hear if the snake died or not.

I believe they found the snake dead from, of course, starvation.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Are you asking the British police to use their brains? For shame!

Just kidding. I thought they found it dead, but I guess this changes my opinion on Roberts. Instead of a Snake killing bastard he's just a bastard to the human race.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

they're all criminals. And doesn't hurt anyone else? Bull fucking shit man. Tell that to his family and friends.

Guest netslob

they're all criminals. And doesn't hurt anyone else? Bull fucking shit man. Tell that to his family and friends.

i meant physically...it doesn't hurt anyone else physically. the only one affected physically is Jake himself. yeah, emotionally, it hurts his friends and family. but, that's HIS choice, no one elses. that's what i meant.

Guest INXS

Where was this posted? I used to read his old web commentaries on RAW and Thunder and this doesn't appear to be his style of writing at all...

Guest Loss

I've been watching all the heralded WWF matches from 2001 over the past few days in preparation for something I'm about to start writing for TSM on a semi-regular basis. It changed my opinion of Jericho in some ways. The guy is underrated in many aspects and overrated in many others. There are things he does that he should get chastised for and there are things that he does that no one notices that he does better than almost anyone.

Jericho is one of the worst offenders of the 'let me get this in and this in' line of thinking when planning out a match. He's no worse than Benoit in this regard, who suplexed Rikishi around like it was child's play, but just because others are doing it doesn't make it excusable. Both as a face and as a heel, Jericho is on offense more than he's fighting from underneath. I was very impressed, at No Mercy and at Vengeance, by how much both Rock and Austin 'gave' him in terms of openings and how much he controlled the match and called spots. Jericho typically is allowed to look outstanding and like a world beater throughout the course of the matches, but the booking is what keeps him the underdog, as he's never been given the push he really deserves. There have been far better workers who have done a great job of fighting from underneath and Jericho is better at playing the cocky babyface.

There are a lot of parallels to Jericho and Michaels as workers, in terms of offense and keeping the match spotlight on oneself. Jericho is better in some areas than Shawn is, but Shawn is far better at drawing sympathy and making his opponent look good.

In Jericho's defense, the criticisms of his offense being repetitive are totally invalid, and anyone who has ever said that hasn't watched enough Jericho matches. If anything, a fault of Jericho's is that he tries to incorporate too much new offense on a regular basis, as he's constantly taking a different approach instead of finding one that works and sticking with it. In his 2001 matches, Jericho borrowed liberally from Flair, from Michaels, from Savage and even from his opponents.

Jericho was an enigma in 2001, in that his best performances were better than even Austin's, but he sprinkled that ice cream with cow dung sometimes when he was out there. He was terribly inconsistent that year. That said, he had a better year than Angle, as his offense was more varied, he was a better seller, he was better at performing transitions and he was better at controlling the pace of a match. Angle didn't surpass Jericho until 2002, and then, the difference was only slight.

I look forward to finally posting everything I've written on the main site, because Jericho is just one example of a worker who I looked at in a different light upon rewatching everything. I think it's worth noting, though, that of the top five matches of the year in the WWF, Jericho was involved in three of them.