TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gatornibs

Joe Schmoe 2 Premiers Tuesday June 15th on Spike!

There's a new SchmoBlog entry:

The Lost Scene

The funniest thing on ‘Joe Schmo 2’ that did not make air was Derek playing pocket pool.

The second funniest thing was a cheated version of the scene in which Ingrid was told about the death of her grandfather.

Here’s how the cheated version played once we cut it together…

Derek read what was written on the falcon’s parchment and announced, ‘This is less of a twist and more of just… really terrible news. It seems that one of your grandfathers has passed away.’

Then he took a deep pause, stared down the contestants, and said, ‘Tim, it’s not you.’ And then, ‘Amanda, it’s not you.’ Derek proceeded to go from cast member to cast member, announcing ‘it’s not you,’ until only Ingrid and Gerald remained.

Then Derek said, ‘That leaves Ingrid… and Gerald. There are two of you… and only one dead grandfather.’ He paused, turned to camera, and announced, with all the gravity of a minister at a funeral, ‘When we return.’ And we tossed to a commercial.

After the commercial, Derek welcomed the audience back and finally announced that it was in fact Ingrid’s grandfather who had passed. Upon hearing this, Gerald brightened up and said ‘Yes!’, only to realize his bad manners, frown consolingly, and pat Ingrid on the shoulder: ‘I’m sorry for your loss.’ At last, a distraught Ingrid marched inside.

The scene was ridiculously sick and just as ridiculously funny, a jab at how exploitative and trashy many reality shows have become. Only one problem… we faked the whole thing! Originally, we wanted the scene to be shot just as I just described it above. Suddenly, we snapped out of it and decided that it would have been too cruel to Tim and Amanda. So we junked the concept.

Then John Moore (our writer/producer who came up with the idea) decided that we could probably manufacture a fake version of the entire scene. We decided to do just that. First, we shot the scene that you watched in the episode. Then, we sneaked Gerald, Ingrid, and Derek alone onto the patio to shoot the more outrageous version. Finally, we pieced the faux footage together with the actual moment.

Voila! It suddenly appeared as if Tim and Amanda had anxiously awaited word as to whose grandfather had died. I’ve never seen a piece of television much funnier.

Our biggest misgiving about airing the fake version was that it would undermine our credibility as producers. It’s ironic, considering that ‘Joe Schmo 2’ is a fake show, but we take pride in the fact that we don’t fake stuff. What I mean by that is, we don’t show the audience scenes that Joe and Jane were not privy to and pretend that they were. The whole point of the show is to put on a ridiculous stage-play in front of two real people, not off-stage somewhere. We felt queasy trying to trick our audience into thinking we’d tricked our marks. Am I explaining that alright?

We ultimately solved the problem by putting together an episode in which the false version played out first, followed immediately by an explanation by Derek Newcastle that we’d actually faked the entire thing. Derek finished this explanation by saying, ‘Let’s go back and watch what really happened…’

And we skipped back and showed the true scene.

Only one problem. The network decided that the entire business was too confusing and convoluted. We simply didn’t have the time or luxury to walk the audience through the process (the way I just did). And so, at long last, we went back to the true scene. We sacrificed comedy for clarity.

Someone on the internet pointed out that on the pre-commercial tease before the grandfather scene, we actually showed the moment where Derek says, ‘This is less of a twist and more of just really terrible news.’ That line was a remnant from the faux scene. We forgot to remove the tease!

If there is ever a DVD for 'Joe Schmo 2,' I will make sure the faked version ends up in the bonus materials. Trust me, it will be worth the wait!

Once again, how ironic is it that the most deceitful producers in television ended up telling the truth?! ;)

Rhett

Teasing whose grandfather kicked the bucket would be so tasteless, yet absolutely hilarious since you know it's fake...

I loved how they built to this big, shocking death, and then the producer just casually mentions it. Eleanor going totally over the top with her crying, Cammy using her coupon, Eleanor ripping on Austin, still using the whole dramatic music while handing out the obvious necklaces, and cutting to the sex dolls. Awesome episode.

Another SchmoBlog entry...

Miscellaneous Thoughts

I don’t really have a larger story to tell tonight, so I’ll give you some random thoughts…

We added Derek’s ‘fanfare’ musical theme in post-production, so our Schmos never heard the trumpets blaring upon Derek’s various entrances. When our resident-genius editor/producer Paul Coyne stumbled on Amanda singing the SAME EXACT TUNE in the raw footage, it created pandemonium in the offices. She even sang it in the right key! Totally amazing!

I think that all the outrageousness we’ve gotten away with in the past three episodes helps justify our decision to tell Ingrid the truth. Can you imagine Ingrid-the-Schmo’s reaction to Bryce’s banner-flying? Or Cammy’s ‘Porked and Beans’ video? Or Austin’s father? Or Everett’s death? Or Eleanor’s grandmother’s death (it would have been Eleanor falsely accused of inventing the dead grandparent)? And the plot only gets crazier! I can barely stand to picture Ingrid, as suspicious as she already was, watching all those scenes. It makes me cringe.

I can’t remember who thought of showing close-ups of the Real Dolls in the eviction ceremony, but it gets me every time! =)

People have been talking about how much they liked the actors winking to the camera in the most recent episode. There wasn’t much of that in the first few episodes. Why? Ingrid. The mood was much more relaxed after Ingrid joined the cast. Finally, the actors felt free to let down their proverbial hair.

The ‘There’s no drama!’ moment on the double date seems too good to be true, but it was not faked in the edit bay. That was exactly how Amanda and Tim spit out those lines. We set up a bank of monitors outside the restaurant (no more than fifteen feet from where Amanda was sitting) so that Peilin Chou (our network executive), Sean Travis (our director), and I could watch the action. When Amanda was desperately repeating, ‘There’s no drama!’ as if trying to will that hope into existence, we were going nuts.

A cool moment on the date that didn’t make the show: Tim did a shot of liquor up his nose! He had demonstrated this talent on his original audition tape. I passed him a note during dinner to see if he’d be willing to do it again for the cameras, and he obliged with a wink. Next thing we knew, up went the shot! Gross, but very funny. We ended up cutting out the moment because it derailed the scene. It’s a little known (although probably widely assumed) fact that reality television producers often coax contestants to act crazy. We probably own the distinction of being the only producers to ask a man to suck tequila up his nose.

How great was Jessica Makinson in that crying fit?! Her talent blows me away!

People have lamented the fact that Austin and Piper haven’t been given the chance to do anything too crazy. They’re not to blame; we planned it that way. Given the insanity swirling around our Schmos, we wanted Austin and Piper to be relatively normal - a straight man and woman to the likes of Eleanor and Bryce. Valerie Azlynn and Tim Herzog did a superb job anchoring the show.

I’ll quiet one storm: Everett didn’t die.

And I’ll forecast another storm: Hurricane Bryce.

Stay tuned! =P

Rhett

Now that the board is working let's comment on tonight's show.

They skirted a close call there with Tim walking in. I wonder if it made him leary of it all.

Haha...the guys get pearl necklaces from Austin...how gay.

Now that the board is working let's comment on tonight's show.

They skirted a close call there with Tim walking in. I wonder if it made him leary of it all.

Haha...the guys get pearl necklaces from Austin...how gay.

They might think that..

Because Tim's gone!?! :o That was a shock. But maybe he will be back...because Piper is so upset.

SWERVE AGAIN!

And is Bryce killing the falcoln next week? Man ,this is great.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Tim quoted that line about Good morning, good afternoon, and good night from THE TRUMAN SHOW! Coincidence?!

Guest bort

I thought that was the best episode of ethier seasons. Byce is Gold, at this point I really like all of the charectors minus the New Jane.

I'm impressed with how they're trying to keep a coherent storyline, while injecting all the silliness into the show.

And it's funny how, now that 2 people have come back, we're not only thinking Tim will be back, but EXPECTING it. The fact that he's one of the "stars" notwithstanding.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Tim quoted that line about Good morning, good afternoon, and good night from THE TRUMAN SHOW! Coincidence?!

It could be. Or it could just be because he's been living in a vacuum, where cameras are trained on him all the time.

Anyways, I think that we all agree that Tim is no MKG, but I think that they did well in casting him, as you really do care about what happens to him.

Amanda, not so much. But I'd still hit it...

I'm impressed with how they're trying to keep a coherent storyline, while injecting all the silliness into the show.

I disagree. If anything the show's writers have given up any semblence of a coherent storyline with the way that they've brought almost everyone back and the fact that they've been focusing too heavily on characters who are pretty much one-dimensional (most notably TJ and Cammy).

And it's funny how, now that 2 people have come back, we're not only thinking Tim will be back, but EXPECTING it. The fact that he's one of the "stars" notwithstanding.

Which is why I think they shouldn't bring him back. The show has pretty much lost it's way in terms of mocking the reality show genre so why not do something as unexpected and shocking as to eliminate Tim?

Anyways, I think that we all agree that Tim is no MKG, but I think that they did well in casting him, as you really do care about what happens to him.

I disagree, if only because Tim has stayed pretty much low-key while the writers have had to dedicate most of their time and energy towards Ingrid that we haven't seen much of him to care about what happens to him. If anything, the producers seem to be going out of their way to paint Tim as an ass in regards to Bryce, who the writers seem to be hesitant towards pushing as being a total psycho (though that may change with next week's episode).

Guest bort

I think I prefer Tim over MKG, Matt was always too nice everything while Tim is showing a bit of a mean streak when it comes to Bryce

I disagree. If anything the show's writers have given up any semblence of a coherent storyline with the way that they've brought almost everyone back and the fact that they've been focusing too heavily on characters who are pretty much one-dimensional (most notably TJ and Cammy).

I think that yesterday was really the first time that they really focused on TJ. For the most part, Tim, Bryce and Gerald have been in the forefront of the guys.

Cammy is quite obviously their "Molly" for the season, where they try to have her "break out" of her stereotypical shell. They probably should have focused on Elanor more, but well the blonde with the tits will probably garner better ratings.

Anyways, I say it's coherent because you can see what they're trying to build to. Tim gets booted because Austin feels that he's a threat to his reconciling with Piper (which is the logical ending to the show at this point). You throw in the silliness like Bryce coming back and "Porked and Beans" because while making this story they're still trying to spoof other reality shows.

I disagree, if only because Tim has stayed pretty much low-key while the writers have had to dedicate most of their time and energy towards Ingrid that we haven't seen much of him to care about what happens to him.

I gotta disagree with you there. The whole idea of this show is to show things that happen to the marks, so aside from the morning meetings and the occasional asides (like the "post-game interviews" with Gerald and TJ) you get to see things as the Schmos see them. Yes, in the beginning they were more focused on preventing Ingrid from figuring things out, but once that storyline ran it's course there has been a heavy focus on Tim, which has helped us understand the kind of guy he is.

What starvenger said. The point of the show isn't complete parody of reality shows, otherwise they could just eliminate the Schmoes and have it all completely scripted. The point is to tell a story that spoofs reality while playing around with the Schmoes' reaction to it all.

Anyways, great ep. Cammy plays the oblivious dumb girl so well, it's hard to believe she isn't that dumb.And Gerald at the eviction ceremony was gold. So was TJ, for that matter, pretty much telling Austin that he has a tiny penis. Good times/

Guest The Last Free Voice

Great episode, at least what I saw of it. I'll have to catch the replay tonight. Anyway, I hope they bring Tim back, just becuase his reactions to everything are so hilarious. I mean, come on, the guy's just so real it's great.

this show keeps getting better. I was rotfl lasht night. especialyl when they were whispering ideas into tjs and cammys earpiece and tim was liek "hey tj its tim" and tj goes "hey whats up tim? i mean oops uhh" abd bryce attempting to sabotage tj and amanda getting mad. and gerald looking dissapointed cuz he didnt get a kiss from austin.

yea I think that austin is supposed to be wanting piper back so he got rid of the guy she seemed to be connecting most to. besides ralph said it we dont want to break anyones heart here they (tim and amanda) cant get too close to p and a

quote of the week

"Oops I stepped on Everett" Ingrid

I think I prefer Tim over MKG, Matt was always too nice everything while Tim is showing a bit of a mean streak when it comes to Bryce

Are we forgetting about when Matt nearly snapped on David Hornesby as Hutch, The Asshole for the whole pictures incident?

Guest bort

ya I forgot about that, Im really gonna have to pick up the DVD soon to relive the greatness.

Overall I think Season 2 has a stronger Cast, with TJ, Gerald, Cammy and Bryce putting on amazing perfomances

Guest Ram

The "fight" between Bryce and TJ was awesome, as well as the teasing between Bryce and Gerald at the table.

I'm very glad Bryce is coming back. TJ is, I guess, the buddy-type for this show, but I don't think he's necessarily needed.

And the whole evict-someone-off-and-then-bring-them-back-later thing is pretty common on some reality shows. I've gotten stuck watching Outback Jack, and they've been at 4-5 girls for the past like 4-5 shows. One girl got evicted, then they added a girl, then another girl got evicted, and then they brought back a girl. It's the neverending cycle.

I think it's quite clear from seeing next week's teaser that Tim is definitely coming back. I just hope they're a bit more creative with the explanation than what they gave to explain Bryce's return. It is starting to get a bit obvious that all the evict-and-bring-backs are just ploys to end each episode with a big event. Parody of a reality show gimimick or not, I can't help but find it to be a little cheap.

Guest Staravenger

It took a bit longer than the first, but I'm enjoying pretty much everyone on the show right now. I guess they weeded out all the crap.

Guest activeverb

And nobody has mentioned how Tim looks like Deputy Dewey and Ingrid looks like Ellen.

And nobody has mentioned how Tim looks like Deputy Dewey and Ingrid looks like Ellen.

Actually, IMO, Tim looks like a DEAD ringer for Smalls, from the Sandlot.