TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shanghai Kid

Dean Malenko/Chris Jericho

Just an example of an undercard feud so well developed that the fans cared more about it than the main event feuds. At one time I really liked WCW's attention and detail it gave it to it's midcard.

The feud did go on a little bit longer than it should of. The climax and high point was at Slamboree at 98, Malenko wins the battle royal, takes off the mask, and procceeds to kick Jerichos ass and emotionally win the title. The crowd was really into it. What was great about the whole story was Jerichos heel character. He was the ultimate whiner, but the thing is, he literally beat the whole cruiserweight division fair and square with the Lion Tamer. When it was all said and done, they were tapping to the Lion Tamer, that gave him more credibility than the normal heel should have. Combine the good matches with some hilarious promos, and Jerichos 1998 WCW heel character ranks as the best character work Jericho has ever done. WWF heel Jericho never really is that creative or funny.

This was definetly the high point of Malenkos career.

Guest Choken One

This was because Jericho had complete control and Bischoff didn't want to bother with it and didn't even LOOK at it.

My favorite wrestling character of all time is WCW Chris Jericho (1998-99). The guy never had a boring interview/segment. Everything he did was gold. Plus, he added the charm of rarely, if ever, cussing, which would have made him just like every other wrestler on the planet at the time. And he still made everyone boo the hell out of him.

Let us not forget what became of him losing the title. First, he begged Dillon for his title back. He said no. Then, CJ went to Washington DC and found a NWA rulebook. Malenko clonked him w/ the belt. So CJ got a letter from Uncle Ted Turner which stated that Jericho is a whiner and was NOT the rightful CW Champ which caused the Paragon of Virtue to tearfully weep for his belt back. Finally, Malenko gives in and forfeits the belt just to get another shot at Jericho. With the title vacant, CJ wins by DQ and becomes the CW Champ once again.

Chris Jericho --------- Master of Loopholes!!!

Slamboree is still one of my favorite WCW moments. The place went APESHIT went it turned out to be Malenko!

This is what made Jericho a star. Although I think everyone and their mother knew Malenko would turn out to be Ciclope, that place still exploded. I remember them fighting in the streets with Jericho literally almost getting run over.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I always got a kick out of when Jericho went with the man of 1,004 holds....you know....four more than Malenko baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hardcore Jericho fans.

Do you remember a WCW Television Title defense Jericho made in Summer 1998 against Jim Neidhart on WCW Monday Nitro? It may have been on the same episode as when Bischoff did the "nWo Tonight Show" ripoff of Leno.

Anyway, Neidhart wouldn't let Jericho get the Lion Tamer on.

Something was really screwy at the end, as Neidhart was refusing to turn and go into the submission. The referee just called for the bell finally, ala Montreal SSeries 98. Anyone know about this?

I think it was just the fact that Neidhart was probably the biggest guy who Jericho had put the Lion Tamer on at that time, it was obvious that Neidhart wouldn't take the Liontamer in the same way that Juvi did.

Edit: Jim might also have been reluctant to job clean by submission to a guy who was 50 pounds lighter than him.

Guest Choken One

It might be that Jim was a fucking cokehead who only got a gig because of his famous Brother in Law.

Anybody have a media clip of Slamboree '98?

At the time, I was the world's biggest Malenko fan but I didn't order the pay-per-view. That was a mistake.

Chris Jericho 98 was probably my favorite heel ever. The whole Slamboree thing was great. Jericho as the ring announcer was some of his best mic work. Some other great Jericho moments:

- 1004 holds reading

- Harrassing Prince Iaukea about his weight

- Collecting trophies from defeated opponents

- Making up names for everyone

- Trying to do Goldberg's entrance, only to get lost backstage

Ron Mysterio, Jr.

Shima Nobawangadingdong.

Prince Nakamaki.

Stinko Malenko's deceased father "Bore"-"Us" Malenko.

"Hoot and Toot" Guerrera. "Quasi (modo) Juice".

Jericho's always been the shit.

I wonder if Lenny Lany ever returned his Loverboy album. (Cassette, of course).

Chris Jericho's "Bill Goldberg" entrance was always funny, he would end up in the kitchen or get locked outside and right before the camera cut away he would yell out "this is all a conspiracy!" Slamboree stands out as the shining moment in their whole feud, the crowd was so into it and it was pretty unexpected. The only thing about the feud I didn't like was that they never had a definitive match against each other that was all that memorable. Most of their matches ended quickly by count out or something like that.

Ron Mysterio, Jr.

Shima Nobawangadingdong.

Prince Nakamaki.

Stinko Malenko's deceased father "Bore"-"Us" Malenko.

"Hoot and Toot" Guerrera. "Quasi (modo) Juice".

Jericho's always been the shit.

I wonder if Lenny Lany ever returned his Loverboy album. (Cassette, of course).

Didn't Jericho bring in some guy called the Little dragon, who was trained by Ultimo Dragon I guess, tell the crowd about how this guy was a great wrestler in Japan, then beat the utter shit out of the guy?

Little Dragon was a legitimate athlete who wrestled in a few WCW matches. I don't remember Jericho's interaction with him, if any.

I do remember Jericho's "personal security" team comprised of "Ralphus" and "Jerichoholic Ninja".

Can't forget the time Jericho had a TV Title defense against the then-undefeated Wrath (well, undefeated once he became a face and ditched the "Blood Runs Cold" crap) and during Jericho's "backstage Goldberg entrance" he got lost backstage and went out the (locked) doors outside the arena and didn't make the match.

I'm glad that he refused to be a member of nWo hollywood, he would have been leader of the nWo B Team(even though that could have been cool with Jericho bossing Norton around) a few months later.BTW, on Nitro did they ever mention the Giant chokeslamming him on an episode of Saturday Night therfore ending the Jericho/Giant angle?

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Does anyone actually have a site listing his 1,004 moveS? I know armbar appears like 300-400 times.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
He got to move #13 or so, they cut to a break, and next thing you know he's in the 700s.

Damn SK's jokes about Moves between #100-500 being armbars. GAH! (jumps out first floor window)

Does anyone actually have a site listing his 1,004 moveS? I know armbar appears like 300-400 times.

1004 holds

By the way, did Jericho ever have any contact with the NWO after he turned heel? I know that when he turned heel, it was after he lost the title to X-Pac. But outside of that, any interaction?

Guest La Marka

Well, he lost the TV title to Konnan (the whole Black & White vs. WolfPac era), and the next week he explained how Konnan cheated with handy visual aids.

Well, he lost the TV title to Konnan (the whole Black & White vs. WolfPac era), and the next week he explained how Konnan cheated with handy visual aids.

Do you have any details about that segment? I only saw the last clipping of it from what they showed on Starrcade 1998. I for one would much rather see that segment in its entirety than 90% of Starrrcade 1998.

Going from memory, he had a guy dressed as Konnan act out various situations where he pulled out a foreign object (belt, chain, shovel) and how "Konnan" won the title. Of course, he thanked the guy for the demonstration by beating him up and putting him in the Liontamer.

And now, Chris Jericho takes over the announcing duties at Slamboree:

---

DAVE PENZER: "Ladies and Gentlemen, as Slamboree continues, this is the Cruiserweight Battle Royale, the winner to face Chris Jericho tonight. In this contest wrestlers can be eliminated by either pin fall or when their feet touch the ringside floor. And ladies and gentlemen, here are the participants..."

CHRIS JERICHO: "Hold on just one second here, David Penzer you unintelligible moronic high voiced dweeb! You know nothing about the sport of pro wrestling and you know nothing about these fine competitors coming out today. So I'm gonna do all the Jerichoholics a great favor. I'm gonna introduce all of the contestants in the cruiserweight battle royale. Let's face it, one of these fine contestants will get a chance at the cruiserweight belt, (they'll never win it), but tonight you're gonna see a great match from a great competitor. Let's get down to the list here..."

"Coming out first from (?)(Sounds like Sunchimilko) Mexico, you'll notice his hat NEVER comes off, the master of trick-track, the master of Da Funk, he is Super Calo! Look at those moves ladies and gentlemen. You got about a one in ten chance of winning, maybe."

"Next, from El Paso, Mexico, this guy used to be a great bar tender, but it hasn't translated into his wrestling skills, he is the scourge of the illustrious Guerrero family, he is Chavo Guerrero Jr. maybe a two in ten chance of winning."

"Coming out next, from Mexico, this is a rags to riches story, from selling chimichangas on the streets to WCW is Ciclope!"

"Then we got Damien. He can't afford a mask, he's using paint, but sooner or later he's gonna buy a mask, I'm guaranteein' you that."

"Here we go, the winner of the Lou Ferrigno look alike contest, this guy is also from Mexico, El Dandy."

"Coming out next is the (?), feather weight pacer(?) champion, El Grillo."

"Now this guy pulled up in a nice rusted out '68 El Camino Chevy, he's the ugliest man in our sport today, he's the illustrious Quazijuice Skelerra."

"A former champion in many countries, he's gonna rock rock til he drops, rock rock never stop, Marty Jannetty, ladies and gentlemen."

"Coming up next from Allentown, PA. He's a lost and lonely soul, his name is Kidman. And Kidman, I've got some Calamine lotion for you after the show!"

"This guy's the true shooter of WCW, does he have a chance? No, zero chance, no way, he's Evan Courageous, ladies and gents."

"Oh yeah, straight from Minneapolis, Minnesota, I want my Lover Boy tape back, Lenny Lane!"

"And of course we've got Psychosis, he's got a lot of hubcaps in his collection, if you need one, he'll procure one for you after the show."

"This guy is Silver King, if he wins twelve more matches he'll be upgraded to Golden King."

"This guy is Johnny Sinjer? Johnny SSS.... Johnny Swinger? You ever heard of this guy? I haven't. Zero out of ten chance in winning! No chance."

"And last but not least, representing Villanos 1 through 62, from the Villano family, he is Villano IV."

"Those are your contestants in tonight's battle royale, I'm going in the back for a coffee cause none of these guys will ever ever beat me for my belt!"