TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flyboy

ESPN NFL 2K5 Thread

Guest Flyboy
It has none of that EA Gamer bullshit that I run into whenever I buy an EA game.

Que?

That EA sports profile or whatever it is. I just hate it when I play a game, and it comes up, "You are a level 27 EA Gamer! Would you to save?" or "There are new accomplishments added to your EA Sprots profile!" That just annoys the fuck out of me, for some reason.

Those postgame interviews with Suzy Kolber are a nice idea, but horrible in execution... It's basically Suzy asking a generic question followed by the player spouting off one cliche after another that has nothing to do with the question.

Suzy: What was the key for you guys out there today?

Tyrone Wheatley: That's just how we do. We go out and give it 110 percent and leave it all on the field every game... Yada, yada...

Guest Vitamin X

Then again, that IS how it's done in real life...

I can see that getting annoying as fast as Maddenisms.

I'm surprised noone is talking about the rookies having actual faces now using faces mixed together from the players. I think that is an awesome feature, and a potentially hilarious one when two players that just won't mix, mix.

Anyone imagining a Terrell Owens-Jeff Garcia mixture?

Guest Flyboy
I'm surprised noone is talking about the rookies having actual faces now using faces mixed together from the players.

That's actually one of my favorite features.

Looks better every week. I really like mixing in the injury report and top draft prospects into Sportscenter. Lets me have some idea of what's going on around the league without having to get into that stuff too early in the year.

Then again, that IS how it's done in real life...

I can see that getting annoying as fast as Maddenisms.

It would be fun if you could punch in a code to get "angry athlete after a bad game" sideline interview mode, like Shaq's meltdown this year...

Shaq: This was a fucking joke out here.

Reporter: Um, Shaq, we're on live TV.

Shaq: I don't give a shit.

Without something like that, sideline interviews with players are a waste on a game. Come to think of it, they're a waste in real life too. How often does a sideline reporter actually get an insightful, worthwhile quote from a player from one of these things?

Bumping this as the release date(From EB and Gamestop) has been changed from August 10th to JULY 20TH! and for $19.99, woo!

They're gonna release it on July 20th?

Isn't that jumping the gun a bit?

Guest Flyboy
Bumping this as the release date(From EB and Gamestop) has been changed from August 10th to JULY 20TH! and for $19.99, woo!

Not really. VC/Sega/Take Two wants to get the game into as many homes as they can -- they don't want to BEAT EA in selling (well, they do but that's not their primary goal), they want the all the Madden fanboys to give the game a try. By releasing it on the 20th and for $19.99 -- many Madden fanboys will be willing to give the game a try. They just want their product to be known and played and not written off like most people tend to do because of Madden. Yeah, training camp & depth charts haven't been set but with Action Replay and XBL roster updates, they'll be fine.

I may pick this up just like you said, to give it a try, but the bells and whistles won't impress me until I actually see how good they do with it all.

Sega seem to have made all the right moves up until this point. All that's left is playing the game. I'm pretty sure gameplay won't be a disappointment since I've been a fan since 2k. We just have to see if they've properly executed on all the extras that have been added.

Eh.......I like the EA games better....this year will be no different, I'll get Madden, NCAA2k5, NBA Live 2K5, NCAA Final Four 2K5, and I am still planning on getting MVP Baseball.

I just don't like the ESPN games.

It's kinda annoying not having the depth charts set up, since you can't update the rosters on a ps2 without a network adapter. I'm considering picking one up just for 2K5 though. God, I'm so stoked for this game, it's going to ruin my exams (in a good way though).

Guest Flyboy
Eh.......I like the EA games better....this year will be no different, I'll get Madden, NCAA2k5, NBA Live 2K5, NCAA Final Four 2K5, and I am still planning on getting MVP Baseball.

I just don't like the ESPN games.

And people wonder why VC/Take Two cut the price and is releasing so early..

I mean, seriously. For $20 and an early release, what are you giving up? Like I said, Take Two are plotting their asses off to get their game into the homes of people like you and they just want their game to get a chance. To each their own, but geez.

Guest Flyboy
It's kinda annoying not having the depth charts set up, since you can't update the rosters on a ps2 without a network adapter.

Here's the best thing I've heard on the rosters so far:

Really the early release will not have any effect on the rosters. Whether the game is realeased 7/20 or 8/20, the rosters are going to be somewhat inaccurate. Camp opens 7/15, and at this point we pretty much know who is going to camp with what teams.

The cutdown dates are 8/31 (65 man) and 9/5 (53 man).

Who wants to wait until 9/5 to have accurate default rosters??

As it has been stated ad nauseum, there will be plenty of rosters available, either online or via AR/sharkport. And let's face it, gamers who do not utilize either method for roster updates likely won't care anyway.

I think it's a great move by VC and I for one am happy about it.

I would pick up a PS2 Action Replay if I were you -- I ordered an Xbox Action Replay yesterday from EBGames.com for NCAA and ESPN this year. And, if you don't know places to get rosters, I could hook you up with that (a place that is). Problem solved.

Not really. VC/Sega/Take Two wants to get the game into as many homes as they can -- they don't want to BEAT EA in selling (well, they do but that's not their primary goal), they want the all the Madden fanboys to give the game a try. By releasing it on the 20th and for $19.99 -- many Madden fanboys will be willing to give the game a try. They just want their product to be known and played and not written off like most people tend to do because of Madden. Yeah, training camp & depth charts haven't been set but with Action Replay and XBL roster updates, they'll be fine.

Fair enough.

Regardless of release date, I'm buying it.

I like what I saw from last year's game, enough to buy this year's game.

And can someone give me a rundown on that Action Replay deal?

I would pick up a PS2 Action Replay if I were you -- I ordered an Xbox Action Replay yesterday from EBGames.com for NCAA and ESPN this year. And, if you don't know places to get rosters, I could hook you up with that (a place that is). Problem solved.

So why would I want a ps2 Action Replay? What makes it good for ESPN?

If you know where to get updated rosters, let me know. I know I'll want them.

Guest Flyboy

Basically with an Action Replay, you can connect a dock to your PC via USB. You place your memory card into the dock (AR comes with a memory card, but a lot of the bigger files will get corrupted -- only bad thing about it and it kinda worries me) and you go find files for roster updates of stuff.

For example, I bought it because I know a messageboard where a NCAA Football 2005 rosters will be updated pretty soon after the game releases (4-5 days after). No naming all the college players for me. It's good for ESPN because people update the rosters of the games for when outdated rosters and such. Another thing I like is midway during the season for both games sometimes the players due to their performance and such. Such I good device to have if you're a hardcore sports gamer as I am.

Guest Vitamin X

I have definitely been leaning towards ESPN a little more this year. Maybe it's all of Flyboy's endless propoganda, but I figured fuck even with the 15 dollars off, I still have to pay $35 for Madden when it comes out as opposed to $20 for an equal or possibly better game. Right now I'm so starved for a football game I'm really quite willing to give both a shot, and since ESPN is coming out first I'll probably buy it first as well.

If I like it enough, then EA can go fuck themselves. Unless I play Madden and it kicks ESPN's ass..again.. this year. But they won't get an immediate sale from me, anyways.

Guest Dumb Fuck

Buy ESPN for $20.

Download Madden for the PC, where it looks better.

A bright football gaming season will be ensuing.

Guest Flyboy
Buy ESPN for $20.

Bingo. With PC, you'll be able to get roster updates, patches, add-ons, and all other kinds of goodies.

I posted this at another board, but here's my thought on people opening their minds to ESPN:

"I'll make it simple for you:

No one will be able to 'convince' you that ESPN is better than Madden. You have to make that decision by yourself and by yourself only. People can run in here and tell you about the superior gameplay, presentation, etc., but you're just going to have to play the game for awhile and realize that you're not playing Madden. Learn the game for what it is -- a superior football SIM. Give it a chance for a few days and don't think about, 'In Madden... blah blah blah would have happened' because it's simply not Madden. The game is bound to have it's flaws, sure, but so does Madden. Hope that helps."

Buy ESPN for $20.

I think I'll have to get a better hard drive before I do that.

Of course, I may go ahead and buy Madden 2005 anyways, but for $20, count me among the many that won't mind giving ESPN 2K5 a chance...

If they really wanted to do that, they'd release it for the Gamecube, but NOOOOOOOOO! they can't do that.