TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lil' Bitch

The Great American Bash Thread

What were your favorite and least favorite moments about GAB?

Favorites:

Luger losing the match due to excessive bleeding

Vader debuting

Sting's first world title win against Ric Flair in 1990

Sting / Vader in 92

I liked both Sting / Meng & Flair / Savage from 95

Least Favorites:

The entireties of GAB 99 and 2000

Bash 87 Wargames. I didn't have pay per view back in the day so I had to have my mom send a check and wait 6-8 weeks for the video to come. I still have that video and its one of my favorites to watch.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
Bash 87 Wargames. I didn't have pay per view back in the day so I had to have my mom send a check and wait 6-8 weeks for the video to come. I still have that video and its one of my favorites to watch.

Cool...considering the first NWA/WCW PPV was Starrcade 87 (shakes head in shame)

Least Favorite:

Great American Bash 1999. Period.

Favorite:

Sting winning the World Title (FINALLY!) at the 1990 version from Ric Flair. He even had the RW&B outfit to go along with the Bash emphasis.

Faves

Flair / Funk and Sting / Muta from 89

The 87 Bash video

The tag tourney from 92

The 1990 version ... from Sting / Flair to Doom / RnR to Southern Boys / ME

The crowd collectively shitting on the 1991 show since Flair had been fired

"Deys gots ta get some relief in daeh! Tony, he's gonna put his head in da toilet!" ... 96 was pretty solid as an overall, same with 97 IMO

Not so much faves

The actual PPV of Bash 91 ... it might be worthy of a drinking game but you would pass out a half hour into the show

Bash 95 in Pillman's backyard and he puts over Alex FREAKING Wright ... even after Wright had lost the undefeated streak

Benoit loses to Booker in 98 and kills the crowd in the process

The labotomy that was GAB 99. Pop the tape in and 3 hours later you come out looking like the non Charleton Heston astronauts from Planet of the Apes.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Who broke Alex Wright's undefeated streak? I'd guess either Flair or Arn Anderson, but I'm not sure (I know he had matches against both of them, and don't see him going over)

I'm guessing NO ONE likes 1999...(hides dubbed copy of the event)

Who broke Alex Wright's undefeated streak? I'd guess either Flair or Arn Anderson, but I'm not sure (I know he had matches against both of them, and don't see him going over)

Officially Arn ended it at Slamboree 95 but Wright had lost his fair share of house show matches (mostly before his TV debut from what I gather) and TV taping bouts prior to then.

Guest ian.

Great American Bash 97 came off better live than it did on tape really. I still liked DDP-Savage 2.

Benoit-Sullivan is one of my favorite matches, the aftermath and when the crowd exploded along with it was awesome.

Now I MUST see 99 and 00, if only to say that I've seen them. I'm watching 2000 WCW and enjoying it much more the 2nd time around.

1999 Great American Bash is a cure for insomnia. Not one memorable match, period. I can't even remember the main event, something like Randy Savage Vs Kevin Nash. I think this is the PPV where Sting gets "mauled" by dogs.

IIRC, it did have a pretty solid Benoit / Saturn vs. DDP / Kanyon ... or was it Bam Bam.

Whoever was running WCW at the time sure got off on splitting up good tag teams and switching the partners around.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
1999 Great American Bash is a cure for insomnia. Not one memorable match, period. I can't even remember the main event, something like Randy Savage Vs Kevin Nash. I think this is the PPV where Sting gets "mauled" by dogs.

Thanks for the reminder. It was like some horrible B-Movie scene. Sting is suddenly wearing a towel (definitely covering a padding) wrapped around most of his wrist and forearm, and thats the only place the dog bites.

Then we cut away and you hear someone being murdered.

Let's not forget the match of the year: Horace Hogan vs. Ernest Miller. If that doesn't sell tickets, nothing will. Somebody call my mama!

Couldn't they have just gave Scotty a pipe and told him to go ape shit in order for Rick to get the win instead of hiring the jobless kennel in a cell dogs?

Let's not forget the match of the year: Horace Hogan vs. Ernest Miller. If that doesn't sell tickets, nothing will. Somebody call my mama!

Wasn't horace a replacement for Scott Norton?

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Yup. Otherwise, we would've had a match of the decade candidate.

Any reasons for the substitution? Norton wrestled Cat on Nitro shortly after(he lost after getting hit with a crowbar) so I doubt he was injured.

Guest Dark Pegasus
Whoever was running WCW at the time sure got off on splitting up good tag teams and switching the partners around.

If I remember my backstage stuff right, they pretty much turned the tag division over to Raven for the first half of the year until they saw that it was the only thing getting over and DDP lobbied to put himself and Kanyon in there.

Any reasons for the substitution? Norton wrestled Cat on Nitro shortly after(he lost after getting hit with a crowbar) so I doubt he was injured.

He had a heart problem or something the day of the show, so he was in the hospital.

Guest Samurai Johnny Frankenstein

Can I play devil's advocate, and say I liked 99.

Sid showing up, considering his past, is a true "wtf" moment that stayed with me,and still has.

But, yeah, other than that and the Tag title match, the show blew

Can anybody post a link, or the results of this show? Yes GAB 99 was definetely an event when we looked at each other at the end and could not believe we spent 30 bucks on it.

The History of The Great American Bash PPVs

The Great American Bash 1988

"The Price of Freedom"

July 10, 1988 in Baltimore, MD

Baltimore Arena drawing 14,000 ($208,000)

Shown live on PPV (2.2)

Rick Steiner & Dick Murdoch beat Tim Horner & Kendall Windham.

NWA Tag Champs Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard drew Sting & Nikita Koloff (20:00).

The Midnight Express (Eaton & Lane) beat The Fantastics (Fulton & Rogers) (16:23) to win the NWA U.S. Tag Title when Eaton pinned Fulton.

The Road Warriors, Steve Williams, Jimmy & Ronnie Garvin beat Kevin Sullivan, Mike Rotunda, Al Perez, The Russian Assassin, & Ivan Koloff (19:55) in a "tower of doom" match.

NWA U.S. Champ Barry Windham pinned Dusty Rhodes (15:55).

NWA World Champ Ric Flair beat Lex Luger (23:13) when the match was stopped due to Luger's excessive bleeding.

The Great American Bash 1989

July 23, 1989 in Baltimore, MD

Baltimore Arena drawing 12,500 ($188,000)

Shown live on PPV (1.5)

Sid Vicious and Danny Spivey won a "two-ring king of the hill battle royal." Also in the match were: Eddie Gilbert, Terry Gordy, Scott Hall, Bill Irwin, Brian Pillman, Ranger Ross, Mike Rotunda, Ron Simmons, Rick Steiner, Scott Steiner, and Kevin Sullivan.

Brian Pillman pinned Bill Irwin (10:18).

The Skyscrapers (Spivey & Vicious) beat Johnny Ace & Shane Douglas (9:14) when Spivey pinned Ace.

Jim Cornette beat Paul E Dangerously (6:22) in a "tuxedo" match.

Rick & Scott Steiner beat Mike Rotunda & Kevin Sullivan (4:22) in a "Texas tornado" match when both Steiners pinned Sullivan.

NWA TV Champ Sting pinned The Great Muta (8:40).

NWA U.S. Champ Lex Luger beat Ricky Steamboat (10:26) via DQ.

The Road Warriors, The Midnight Express (Eaton & Lane), & Steve Williams beat The Freebirds (Garvin, Hayes, & Gordy) & The Samoan Swat Team (22:18) in a "wargames" match when Hawk forced Garvin to submit.

NWA World Champ Ric Flair pinned Terry Funk (17:23).

The Great American Bash 1990

"The New Revolution"

July 7, 1990 in Baltimore, MD

Baltimore Arena drawing 10,000 ($150,000)

Shown live on PPV (1.7)

David Sierra pinned Mr X (10:06).

Doug Furnas pinned Dutch Mantel (11:18).

Mike Rotunda pinned The Iron Sheik (6:46).

Brian Pillman pinned Buddy Landell (9:29).

NWA Tag Champs Doom beat The Rock-n-Roll Express (15:40) when Reed pinned Gibson.

Paul Orndorff, Junkyard Dog, & El Gigante beat Sid Vicious, Arn Anderson, & Barry Windham (8:53) via DQ.

Harley Race pinned Tommy Rich (6:32).

Big Van Vader pinned Tom Zenk (2:16).

Rick & Scott Steiner beat The Freebirds (Garvin & Hayes) (13:45) when Scott pinned Hayes.

NWA U.S. Tag Champs The Midnight Express (Eaton & Lane) beat Tracey Smothers & Steve Armstrong (18:14) when Eaton pinned Smothers.

NWA U.S. Champ Lex Luger pinned Mark Callous (12:10).

Sting pinned Ric Flair (16:06) to win the NWA World Title.

The Great American Bash 1991

July 14, 1991 in Baltimore, MD

Baltimore Arena drawing 7,000 ($99,000)

Shown live on PPV (1.0)

Junkyard Dog pinned Black Bart (12:45).

PN News & Bobby Eaton beat Steve Austin & Terrance Taylor (6:19) in a scaffold match when Eaton grabbed the opposing team's flag.

The Yellow Dog beat Johnny B Badd (6:00) via DQ.

Ron Simmons pinned Oz (7:55).

Big Josh pinned Blackblood (5:39).

Dustin Rhodes, Tracey Smothers, & Steve Armstrong beat The Freebirds (Badstreet, Garvin & Hayes) (17:10) in an "elimination" match. Rhodes was the only survivor.

Hayes pinned Armstrong (13:49).

Hayes was DQed (14:04).

Garvin pinned Smothers (15:16).

Rhodes pinned Garvin (15:24).

Rhodes pinned Badstreet (17:10).

The Diamond Stud pinned Tom Zenk (9:00).

El Gigante pinned One Man Gang (6:13).

Ricky Morton pinned Robert Gibson (17:03).

Nikita Koloff beat Sting (11:38) in a "Russian chain" match.

Lex Luger pinned Barry Windham (12:25) in a "steel cage" match to win the vacant WCW World Title.

Rick Steiner & Missy Hyatt beat Arn Anderson & Paul E Dangerously (2:08) in a "steel cage" match when Steiner pinned Dangerously.

The Great American Bash 1992

July 12, 1992 in Albany, GA

Civic Center drawing 8,000 ($45,000)

Shown live on PPV (0.4)

Super Invader pinned Marcus Bagwell.

Nikita Koloff & Ricky Steamboat beat Jushin Liger & Brian Pillman (19:26) when Steamboat pinned Pillman.

Dustin Rhodes & Barry Windham beat Steve Austin & Rick Rude (19:15) when Rhodes pinned Austin.

Hiro Hase & Shinya Hashimoto beat The Freebirds (Garvin & Hayes) (9:16) when Hase pinned Garvin.

Terry Gordy & Steve Williams beat Nikita Koloff & Ricky Steamboat (21:39) when Williams pinned Steamboat.

Dustin Rhodes & Barry Windham beat Hiro Hase & Shinya Hashimoto (14:55) when Windham pinned Hase.

Big Van Vader pinned Sting (17:17) to win the WCW World Title.

Terry Gordy & Steve Williams beat Dustin Rhodes & Barry Windham (21:10) to win the vacant NWA Tag Title when Williams pinned Rhodes.

Can anybody post a link, or the results of this show? Yes GAB 99 was definetely an event when we looked at each other at the end and could not believe we spent 30 bucks on it.

From the Wrestling Information Archive:

Event: WCW The Great American Bash 1999

Date: June 13, 1999

Arena: Balltimore Arena

Attendence: 11,672

Hardcore Match: Hak pinned Brian Knobbs (5:41) in a "hardcore" match....Van Hammer pinned Mikey Whipwreck (8:35)....Buff Bagwell pinned Disco Inferno (10:33)....No Limit Soldiers (Konnan and Rey Misterio, Jr.) defeated West Texas Rednecks (Curt Hennig and Bobby Duncum, Jr.) (10:44) when Misterio pinned Duncum....Ernest Miller pinned Horace Hogan (5:10)....Ric Flair defeated Roddy Piper (8:16) by Disqualification....World Television Title Match (Falls Count Anywhere Match): Rick Steiner defeated Sting (10:35) in a "falls count anywhere" match to retain the title....World Tag Team Title Match: The Triad (Diamond Dallas Page and Kanyon) defeated Chris Benoit and Perry Saturn (19:13) when Page pinned Benoit to win the tag team titles....World Heavyweight Title Match: Kevin Nash defeated Randy Savage (7:29) by Disqualification.

The Great American Bash 1995

June 18, 1995 in Dayton, OH

Hara Arena drawing 6,000 ($63,000)

Shown live on PPV (0.51)

Harlem Heat beat Fantastics (Fulton & Rogers) (6:46) when Booker T pinned Rogers.

Craig Pittman beat Scott D'Amore (2:16) via submission.

Dick Slater & Bunkhouse Buck beat Frankie Lancaster & Barry Houston (3:52) when Houston was pinned.

Alex Wright pinned Brian Pillman (15:42).

Dave Sullivan beat Diamond Dallas Page in an "arm wrestling" match.

Jim Duggan beat Craig Pittman (8:13) via DQ.

Harlem Heat beat Dick Slater & Bunkhouse Buck (8:39) when Booker T pinned Buck.

Renegade pinned Arn Anderson (9:07) to win the WCW TV Title.

WCW Tag Champs The Nasty Boys beat Bobby Eaton & Steven Regal (15:03) when Knobbs pinned Eaton.

Sting pinned Meng (13:34) to win the vacant WCW U.S. Title.

Ric Flair pinned Randy Savage (14:42).

The Great American Bash 1996

June 16, 1996 in Baltimore, MD

Baltimore Arena drawing 9,000 ($123,406)

Shown live on PPV (0.48)

Rocco Rock pinned Jerry Sags (1:46).

Michael Wallstreet pinned Jim Powers (3:07).

Jim Duggan pinned Disco Inferno (2:09).

Rick & Scott Steiner beat Scott Norton & Ice Train (10:29) when Scott pinned Norton.

WCW U.S. Champ Konnan pinned El Gato (6:03).

Diamond Dallas Page pinned Marcus Bagwell (9:39).

WCW Cruiserweight Champ Dean Malenko pinned Rey Misterio, Jr. (17:50).

John Tenta pinned Big Bubba (5:24).

Chris Benoit pinned Kevin Sullivan (9:58) in a "falls count anywhere" match.

Sting pinned Steven Regal (16:30) via submission.

Ric Flair & Arn Anderson beat Kevin Greene & Steve McMichael (20:51) when Flair pinned Greene.

WCW World Champ The Giant pinned Lex Luger (9:21).

The Great American Bash 1997

"Savage/Page II"

June 15, 1997 in Moline, IL

Mark of the Quad Cities Arena drawing 9,613 ($142,118)

Shown live on PPV (0.60)

Ultimo Dragon beat Psicosis (14:20) via submission.

Harlem Heat beat Rick & Scott Steiner (12:02) via DQ.

Konnan beat Hugh Morris (10:34) via submission.

Glacier pinned Wrath (12:02).

WCW Women's Champ Akira Hokuto pinned Madusa (11:41). Due to the loss, Madusa retired.

Chris Benoit beat Meng (14:59) via submission in a "death" match.

Kevin Greene pinned Steve McMichael (9:21).

WCW Tag Champs Scott Hall & Kevin Nash beat Ric Flair & Roddy Piper (10:02) when Hall pinned Piper.

Randy Savage pinned Diamond Dallas Page (16:56) in a "falls count anywhere" match.

The Great American Bash 1998

June 14, 1998 in Baltimore, MD

Baltimore Arena drawing 12,810 ($289,345)

Shown live on PPV (0.75)

Booker T pinned Chris Benoit (16:20).

Chris Kanyon pinned Perry Saturn (14:46).

Chris Jericho Beat Dean Malenko (13:52) via DQ to win the vacant WCW Cruiserweight Title.

Juventud Guerrera pinned Ron Reis (8:45).

Chavo Guerrero, Jr. pinned Eddie Guerrero (14:46).

Booker T pinned Fit Finlay (13:13) to win the WCW TV Title.

WCW U.S. Champ Bill Goldberg pinned Konnan (1:57).

Hulk Hogan & Bret Hart beat Roddy Piper & Randy Savage (11:40) when Bret forced Savage to submit.

Roddy Piper beat Randy Savage (1:37) via submission.

Sting pinned The Giant (6:40). As a result Sting was allowed to choose a partner to become WCW Tag Champs as he and The Giant had joined opposing NWO factions. Sting chose Kevin Nash.

The Great American Bash 1999

June 13, 1999 in Baltimore, MD

Baltimore Arena drawing 11,672 ($298,870)

Shown live on PPV (0.43)

Hak pinned Brian Knobbs (5:41) in a "hardcore" match.

Van Hammer pinned Mikey Whipwreck (8:35).

Buff Bagwell pinned Disco Inferno (10:33).

Konnan & Rey Misterio, Jr. beat Curt Hennig & Bobby Duncum, Jr. (10:44) when Misterio pinned Duncum.

Ernest Miller pinned Horace Hogan (5:10).

Ric Flair beat Roddy Piper (8:16) via DQ.

WCW TV Champ Rick Steiner beat Sting (10:35) in a "falls count anywhere" match.

Diamond Dallas Page & Kanyon beat Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn (19:13) to win the WCW Tag Title when Page pinned Benoit.

WCW World Champ Kevin Nash beat Randy Savage (7:29) via DQ.

Great American Bash 2000

June 11, 2000 in Baltimore, MD

Baltimore Arena drawing 7,031 ($154,445)

Shown live on PPV (0.19)

WCW Cruiserweight Champ Lt. Loco pinned Disco Inferno (4:57).

Bryan Adams & Bryan Clark beat The Mamalukes (9:20) when Johnny the Bull was pinned.

Mike Awesome beat Diamond Dallas Page (9:41) in an "ambulance" match.

GI Bro pinned Sean Stasiak (13:58) in a "boot camp" match.

Shane Douglas beat The Wall (8:12) in a "table" match.

Scott Steiner beat Rick Steiner & Tank Abbot (3:46) in a "handicap asylum" match.

Hulk Hogan pinned Billy Kidman (11:39). If Hogan had lost this match he would have had to retire. Horace Hogan was the guest referee.

Ric Flair beat David Flair (10:16) via submission. If Flair had lost this match he would have had to retire.

Vampiro beat Sting (7:23) in an "inferno" match.

WCW World Champ Jeff Jarrett pinned Kevin Nash (17:22).

Credit: Prowrestlinghistory.com

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I really need to start buying some old NWA/WCW PPV's. Except GAB 91...god damn that show is worse than Heroes of Wrestling and King of the Ring 1995 combined with a mix of Warrior vs. Goldust from IYH7 looping for an hour.

Which GAB 1987 is on the tape? They were like 3 of them in that same year right?

NWA TV Champ Sting pinned The Great Muta (8:40).

Wasn't that a double pin or something? Haven't seen the show in years.

IIRC, Sting was originally awarded the pin with a bridging back suplex, but the replay revealed that Muta's shoulder was up during the pinfall, which led to the TV title being held up for about three months.

Which GAB 1987 is on the tape? They were like 3 of them in that same year right?

More like around 15. It was a several week long tour from 86-87 then became a PPV in 88.

The commercial tapes are a mix of matches from throughout the tour.

Thanks MMann and Deon, truly a horrid card.

Yeah Bash 87 was bits and pieces from the tour.

2 War Games matches

Flair/Garvin steel cage match for the World title

Koloff/Luger steel cage match for the U.S. title

RnR's/Midnights for the World tag titles

I think a terrible Rhodes/Blanchard match

A Freebirds six man tag match

Windham/R. Steiner

I think one other match too, but hell if I remember it. GREAT tape. Very fun.