TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Review of Flair's book

Guest FrigidSoul

I don't believe Marc Mero or Sable were apart of the WWF any longer when Foley's book came out though. Foley is still on the WWE payroll.

Thinking about it Foley is probably hurt that Vince would allow a man who for the most part spent his career helping a rival try to take down the WWF bash Mick, who helped bring the WWF(along with Austin, the Rock, and Triple-H) back into the #1 position amongst North American wrestling feds.

Still, his focus should be reserved for Flair. If you also think Foley did this first you need to go back and read some old wrestling magazines where they interview Flair on his feelings with certain people he worked with. He's always shat on Mick.

Guest Trivia247

Im a Foley fan and all but come on Mick. You had the WWE back every book you written since 1999. You have been given ample opportunity to Plug every single one. Hell your returns to wrestling or at least back on WWE tv has been primarly to promote your books. Thats air time for someone who is not a active wrestler, segments better served going to active wrestlers who actually wrestle. Then again we could say that about the Diva searches and whenever HHH has something to say in private in from of millions so thats nothing new.

Flair seems to not recognize Mick Foley's as a performance wrestler and prefers to say he is just a crappy technical old school wrestler. Well shit fine Mick, you could say that yourself.

But lets not throw stones at the WWE for promoting anothers book just because he bitches about you in the book. Its not the WWE's fault. If you got a problem with Flair, break a barbwire bat across his side and break his hip or something. Or sue him.... or yell at him. either one of those options is acceptable I guess.

Yeah I'd be pist too if that was printed in the magazine but I can see why WWE did it. WWE did it to help sell the book by making people wonder what else Flair has to say bad or good about other wrestlers. It does make Foley look bad but he should be rather pist off that it made the magazine and not only the book. Flair vs Foley would be really intresting now.

Frigid, you missed my point.

Foley is upset that Ric gave him some pretty stinging criticisms in his new autobiography. Yet, a few years ago, Foley actually gave Marc Mero and Sable some pretty stinging criticisms as well in "Have a Nice Day".....but, for some reason, that was okay in his eyes. Putting professional wrestling accomplishments aside, it's still one human being insulting another human being. And if it was okay for Mick to criticize Sable and Mero publically in his book.....and if it was okay at the time for Vince to give his approval.....then it should be perfectly okay for Ric to do the same and receive the same approval from Vince.

Foley only said he was more important to WCW and WWF than Mero was but was paid less by both organizations. It was NOT the hateful indictment of one man's entire career that Flair laid on Foley.

To put this into perspective, not even Mil Mascaras gets it as bad as Foley does in Ric's book.

From page 412 of Foley's book:

"Steve and I had been talking frequently about the contracts we'd recently been offered that, while not embarrassing, were not nearly on the level of Marc Mero. This filled us both with the potent combination of pride and anger, and we vowed to show Vince the error of his contractual ways.............I told him(Vince) that I appreciated the offer but could not, on principle, sign for less money than Marc Mero had.........Then I thought of Mero, his match that same evening, and a match he had with the Undertaker that was so bad it defied belief. And believe me, it wasn't the Undertaker who was at fault."

These are only a few comments from Have a Nice Day, all located on the same page. There were actually a few more comments scattered throughout the book about both Mero and his wife. Mick's comments so far make Marc look absolutely worthless, and they actually paint Mero in a very bad light. But then again.....that was okay, since it wasn't Foley that was being criticized.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Frigid, you missed my point.

Foley is upset that Ric gave him some pretty stinging criticisms in his new autobiography. Yet, a few years ago, Foley actually gave Marc Mero and Sable some pretty stinging criticisms as well in "Have a Nice Day".....but, for some reason, that was okay in his eyes. Putting professional wrestling accomplishments aside, it's still one human being insulting another human being. And if it was okay for Mick to criticize Sable and Mero publically in his book.....and if it was okay at the time for Vince to give his approval.....then it should be perfectly okay for Ric to do the same and receive the same approval from Vince.

Foley only said he was more important to WCW and WWF than Mero was but was paid less by both organizations. It was NOT the hateful indictment of one man's entire career that Flair laid on Foley.

To put this into perspective, not even Mil Mascaras gets it as bad as Foley does in Ric's book.

From page 412 of Foley's book:

"Steve and I had been talking frequently about the contracts we'd recently been offered that, while not embarrassing, were not nearly on the level of Marc Mero. This filled us both with the potent combination of pride and anger, and we vowed to show Vince the error of his contractual ways.............I told him(Vince) that I appreciated the offer but could not, on principle, sign for less money than Marc Mero had.........Then I thought of Mero, his match that same evening, and a match he had with the Undertaker that was so bad it defied belief. And believe me, it wasn't the Undertaker who was at fault."

These are only a few comments from Have a Nice Day, all located on the same page. There were actually a few more comments scattered throughout the book about both Mero and his wife. Mick's comments so far make Marc look absolutely worthless, and they actually paint Mero in a very bad light. But then again.....that was okay, since it wasn't Foley that was being criticized.

Again, saying that you are a better performer than someone else is a lot better then calling another performer's career a joke.

Or this whole story could be bullshit.

Be kind of funny if Foley was on vacation with his family in Hawaii and hasn't even read the book yet.

Or someone made a sarcastic joke backstage, "Foley's so pissed he isn't even calling Vince back!" Then jobber #3 picked up his lap top and reported it as fact.

I think Foley is more upset for the political reasons that we cited in Flair's praise of HHH and bashing of those not with the company. Foley is still with the company and on good terms, so he might feel as if this is a gesture by WWE to tell him he isn't wanted, because remember, these aren't Flair's words. These are WWE's ghostwriter's words.

Guest Ray
Meh, I bet this just turns into Flair vs Foley at WM 21.

If only we had 1996 Foley and 1987 Flair.... ;)

Guest Trivia247
Or someone made a sarcastic joke backstage, "Foley's so pissed he isn't even calling Vince back!" Then jobber #3 picked up his lap top and reported it as fact.

I wouldn't presume to know the innerworkings of the WWE. But I find the image kinda funny of Vince calling Mick every day just to...chat. Or Calling Austin for that matter or anyone else. Im not basing it on anything a character does on TV but just seems odd. We would hear reports of Vince on the phone with Bret Hart or Austin or who ever and its all OOOOOhs and Ahhhhhhhhhs they are talking. Then nothing comes of it. Just Vince asking hows the Ice fishing in Calgary or some other nonsense. Like the companies Phone conversations is something that must be reported.

Whats next, a Report that someone caught Stephane calling HHH saying she ran out of Tampax and could he go and get them for her at the corner store?

Guest combat_rock

I wouldn't presume to know the innerworkings of the WWE. But I find the image kinda funny of Vince calling Mick every day just to...chat. Or Calling Austin for that matter or anyone else. Im not basing it on anything a character does on TV but just seems odd. We would hear reports of Vince on the phone with Bret Hart or Austin or who ever and its all OOOOOhs and Ahhhhhhhhhs they are talking. Then nothing comes of it. Just Vince asking hows the Ice fishing in Calgary or some other nonsense. Like the companies Phone conversations is something that must be reported.

Whats next, a Report that someone caught Stephane calling HHH saying she ran out of Tampax and could he go and get them for her at the corner store?

Imagine all the fan signs at the next Raw then: "Triple H buys Tampons!" :D

Guest Your Olympic Hero
Meh, I bet this just turns into Flair vs Foley at WM 21.

Mark the fuck out.

Who thinks if Mick Foley was Bill Goldberg people would be calling him a whining bitch?

If the story's true, I'll be glad to call him one. :)

Didn't the WWF tell Foley to go easy on the bashing of other wrestlers for "Foley is Good"? I remember he referred to his bashing of Mero as "some things I had to say about a certain former colleague in my first book" or something like that.

So I can see why he's a little upset that Flair got free reign.

Guest JMA
Who thinks if Mick Foley was Bill Goldberg people would be calling him a whining bitch?

Mick Foley deserves much more respect than Goldberg. Goldberg basically admitted he was just in wrestling "for the money." Foley, on the other hand, is a lifelong fan who loves the business. That alone entitles him to more respect than Goldberg.

Guest Rrrsh

Thats a gar-en-tee

Guest Rrrsh

Mick Foley deserves much more respect than Goldberg. Goldberg basically admitted he was just in wrestling "for the money." Foley, on the other hand, is a lifelong fan who loves the business. That alone entitles him to more respect than Goldberg.

That makes me respect him more as a worker. This has nothinmg to do with him in the ring and everything to do with him a person. And Foley has bein a whining bicth ever since the Screwjob.

We've all been whiny bitches since the screw job what are you talking about. ( :D )

Some of this stuff is quite interesting to say the least, but I agree with those who question some of this because of the ghost writers. This stuff seems very ass-kissing to me. Look at this....Flair rips on Bret Hart who we all know has/had problems with the company. The stuff Flair is saying sounds like he knows by saying what he said he would get on Vince's good side. He is also getting back at Bret for Bret's attacks on him(and you know in some ways Bret was right), That is understandable. He goes off on Randy Savage who is kind of black-balled from the company for whatever reason. Ass-kissing and politics again. The Foley stuff seems like it was done to create a match down the line between the two "authors". Wasn't there a rumour the wwe wanted to create a worked shoot with these two? His little thing on Hogan was a nothing jab(about keeping the belt or something) because when he does interviews he gives Hogan a lot of praise especially when he just returned in 2002. Flair is being a politician here guys. His kissing up to HBK and HHH says it all.

^Flair's hypocricy is well documented.^

All you have to do is look at the "Monday Night Wars" DVD. Compare the speech he gave on the final Nitro to comments he made about WCW years later.

Although, technically, Foley's not really "still" with the company, either.

Mick Foley is apparently furious over the negative comments that Ric Flair has for him in Flair's new book. Foley is also upset that WWE would allow such things to be written in an official WWE publication. Foley is said to feel betrayed by Vince McMahon and is now apparently ignoring all calls from WWE.

I bet Al Snow's sitting at home having a good laugh right now.

Both Foley and Flair in the wrong here.

Flair is a huge hypocrite on the Monday Night War DVD when he specifically names the people responsible for the WWE's boom period in the late 90s. He names Steve Austin (no brainer), The Rock (obviously), HHH (a stretch but I'll go with it), and Shawn Michaels. Where the hell did Flair get that from. You can make the case that when Michaels left, he wasn't able to enjoy the boom period that he helped plant the seeds for. I can accept that argument, even though I hate the son of a bitch. But Flair's hypocrisy shines by saying Bret was not a draw. If Michaels gets credit for the boom period, so does Bret. Bret was really the main guy in 97, despite Taker holding the title. It was the Hart/Austin Feud that really blew WCW out of the water, in terms of creativity and workrate. For him to lick Michaels ass for the 100th time and go off on Bret shows why Flair's credibility has gone down in the last 10 years.

HHH (a stretch but I'll go with it), and Shawn Michaels. Where the hell did Flair get that from. You can make the case that when Michaels left, he wasn't able to enjoy the boom period that he helped plant the seeds for. I can accept that argument, even though I hate the son of a bitch. But Flair's hypocrisy shines by saying Bret was not a draw. If Michaels gets credit for the boom period, so does Bret. Bret was really the main guy in 97, despite Taker holding the title. It was the Hart/Austin Feud that really blew WCW out of the water, in terms of creativity and workrate. For him to lick Michaels ass for the 100th time and go off on Bret shows why Flair's credibility has gone down in the last 10 years.

I agree with you on HBK and HHH who were trying to get fired the entire time to jump ship over to WCW. There was a lot of sucking up going on in that DVD, Brisco (What was up with the close ups?), HBK, HHH, etc... I agree with you also on the Bret hart vs. Austin being what made Austin a star. If it wasn't for that feud Austin probably would have came around a lot later. Bret's the one guy who made Austin a face and it wasn't Vince. Thats why the whole Vince vs Austin thing being called the feud that got WWF on top of the WCW is BS. Yeah it did get huge ratings but if it wasn't for Hart, Austin vs Vince would have happen later down the line, maybe.

Foley is probably just pissed because he put on the rose coloured glasses when describing the more tricky parts of WWE life ("Steroids?" [puts sack over head] "don't see 'em anywhere!"]) and they didn't extend him the same courtesy.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

"He'll always be known as a glorified stuntman"

Chapter 14.

-----------

This is the kind of shit that I was putting up with - despite the fact that

I was on the booking committee. That's why it pissed me off when Mick Foley

blamed me for not recognizing his full potential during that period. In his

book, Have a Nice Day, Foley wrote, "Ric Flair was every bit as bad on the

booking side of things as he was great on the wrestling side of it."

First of all, I'll never call myself a great booker, because wrestling

always came first. But Foley took a shot at me. Here's the receipt - I'm

taking a shot at him.

When I first started on the booking committee, Foley was working as Cactus

Jack and doing an angle where he was living in a homeless shelter. I admit

it - I didn't know what to do with a 300-pound guy living in a homeless

shelter. It took P.T. Barnum, in the form of Vince McMahon, to take a guy

whose claim to fame was his willingness to get thrown off a cage, to turn

into Mankind, and make him into a champion.

Foley has a cult following because of his contribution to hardcore

wrestling. But hardcore is such a small part of the history of this

business. When I was training, falling off a ladder was not a prerequisite

to make it as a professional wrestler. Being fundamentally sound was.

Occasionally seeing the inside of a gym was. When I trained under Verne

Gagne, we started with 500 free squats, 250 push-ups, 250 sit-ups and a

two-mile run over farm terrain in zero-degree weather. Then we came back to

the barn to be wrestled into submission, stretched into submission - and if

Verne didn't like the way things were going, we'd start all over. He would

have looked at Mick Foley on day one - after Mick failed to do even one

thing Verne required - and said, "Mick, I don't think so."

I don't care how many thumbtacks Mick Foley has fallen on, how many ladders

he's fallen off of, how many continents he's supposedly bled on, he'll

always be known as a glorified stuntman.

Verne Gagne didn't fall off a ladder. Dory Funk, Jr. didn't fall off a

ladder. Neither did Wahoo, Steamboat or Steve Austin. Terry Funk was a great

worker before he started doing that. Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, and Chris

Jericho can do it and maintain their reputations because they're already

respected as athletes. And what about people who never did anything else,

like the Sandman? He's no wrestler. Hardcore became a niche for a lot of

guys who couldn't do fuck-all in the ring.

I'm not saying that Mick Foley wasn't a star, that he wasn't a great

attraction. But in my estimation, Mick Foley was not a great worker. He

couldn't punch. He couldn't kick. In the World Wrestling Federation, he'd

spend half the day before television broadcasts sucking up to the writers -

because he's such a fan of himself.

There's a difference between a great performer and being a guy - like Brutus

Beefcake or the Ultimate Warrior - who became famous because he happened to

be working for Vince. It's the same with Foley. When he hasn't been working

for Vince, there's been no demand for him whatsoever. He's just another guy.

Mick Foley doesn't understand what it was like to be on that booking

committee. Jim Herd humiliated me and made me cut my hair - after I'd won

the NWA championships six times. How much power did I have? When I was going

through all that, how should I have been able to look at Mick Foley, push

everything else aside, and mold him into a superstar?

I'm just glad that Austin/Bret's feud is getting love. I for one think Bret does not get enough credit and Flair doesn't know what the hell he is talking about in terms of Bret Hart. You have Bret jump instead of returning to the wwf in 1996 and the wwf would have been in real trouble. No Bret/Mcmahon before Bret/Mcmahon in Montreal and there goes the whole damn Austin/Mcmahon roots.

I'm not saying that Mick Foley wasn't a star, that he wasn't a great

attraction. But in my estimation, Mick Foley was not a great worker. He

couldn't punch. He couldn't kick.

I think this is Flair's most valid point. The rest is a little extra aimed at Foley for knocking Flair.

'An eye for an eye' is all this is.

I'm loading up my shotgun to respond to what Ric Flair wrote in his book, not just about me, but about several other respected collegues.

Mr. Magoo doesn't know what he's talking about.

Bret Hart

brethart.com

Can't wait to see this response!!!!!!!!!!