TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Review of Flair's book

”I had a thousand reasons for never punching out Eric Bischoff in WCW. He was an executive. I had dragged my family through one lawsuit, and didn’t want to get caught up in another – particularly one I would lose. But, when I was alone, I’d think, Why didn’t you just beat the sh-t out of him? And I blamed myself for never doing it.” - Ric Flair on Eric Bischoff, To Be The Man

Ric Flair is among the most beloved performers to ever step inside a professional wrestling ring and with good reason. He has given fans more stellar matches, more memorable interviews, and more nostalgic moments than any one performer in the history of the business. Now, with his new autobiography "To Be The Man". Ric Flair’s legacy will be remembered at an even greater level, as now, it’s in print for all the world to read, and nothing is held back.

The book follows Flair’s life as it begins as the adopted son of a Minnesota couple, then follows him through his trials and tribulations he rises to the top of the professional wrestling industry. From breaking into the AWA under Verne Gagne to Mid-Atlantic Wrestling to Japan to Puerto Rico to becoming the NWA World champion to meltdowns with WCW to his runs in the WWF/WWE.

There is no review that could ever properly convey the greatness of this book. It’s like the greatness that is Ric Flair the performer. You either understand why he’s great or you’ll never get it at all.

Flair explains the differences between being good and being a great performer. He discusses who was great, who could be, and who would have been if not for mitigating circumstances. He explains why someone like Kurt Angle could be great, while someone like Bruno Sammartino in his opinion, wasn’t. It’s fascinating reading from someone 99% of fans believe to be the best of all time.

Flair also delves into his private life, discussing his failed first marriage, which he blames on caring more about being the Ric Flair character than dealing with issues at home. He goes into his deep love for his children and his pride for a WCW segment featuring he, David, and Reid at the same time in the ring. He writes about meeting and pursuing his second wife, Beth. He notes that when he made $5000, he spent $6000 and sometimes ran into trouble with the government over taxes. He writes about how much he loved his parents, and how much he misses them, but also notes that they never understood what a big deal it was to Flair to be a star in the business.

Mick Foley, move over. Your status as the best wrestling author has been challenged. Flair is honest beyond the point of political correctness as only someone of his stature could be. If anyone else had attempted to write this book, they’d likely end up the most hated person behind the scenes of the business. Instead, Flair will become more beloved as for once in his career, he asserted how he really feels about not just himself (Flair is quick to point out his own faults and errors) but all of the major and minor names he has dealt with during his run in the business.

“Bret never regained the fame he’d had in the World Wrestling Federation. Part of it had to do with terrible booking, the other part with Bret’s own deficiencies. What unnerved me the most was the way he used his brother’s death. Through his column in the Calgary Sun, Bret relentlessly bashed Vince McMahon. I sympathize with the emotion – and even the anger – he felt over losing a brother, but I lost respect for him when he made the case into a public spectacle. Why didn’t he take the matter up privately with Vince? It seemed to me that Bret cared more about getting “screwed” in Montreal than he did about Owen’s death, and he used his brother’s death to grind his ax with Vince” - Flair on Bret Hart

Flair pays tribute to many of those he worked with early in his career. He tells crazy stories of working in the Caribbean as NWA champion with Roddy Piper as his backup. He discusses the toughness of Harley Race, including how Race watched his back on Japanese tours. He credits Terry Funk and Wahoo McDaniel for his trademark chops, and goes into loving detail about working with McDaniel. He tells an outrageous story about a night on the town with Funk that left Terry naked in Flair’s front yard and Flair vomiting on his kitchen floor. This is just the tip of the iceberg as Flair discusses partying with Stan Hansen, The Horsemen, and so many others. You can see Flair misses the old way the business used to run and misses many of his old friends. He writes about his regrets of missing funerals for those who have passed on.

”Jim Herd was an idiot. This is not defamation. I’m just telling you history. The man had no right to be anywhere near a wrestling company.” - Flair on former WCW executive Jim Herd, the man who fired him in 1991.

Flair discusses the rigors of the road including a breakdown that sent him fleeing from Japan back to the United States, where he was met by promoter Jim Crockett and taken right back to Japan. He details the plane crash that nearly ended his career and his determination to return to the business. He discusses suggesting Dusty Rhodes as Crockett’s booker after George Scott departs, only to see Rhodes’ ego shoot into the stratosphere and the company collapse. Flair discusses, almost in amazement, the poor management of WCW from day one by Turner Executives. He recounts his feuds with Ricky Steamboat. He remembers his battles with Jim Herd and how he was fired and sent Vince McMahon the gold NWA World championship belt the next day.

”This isn’t kind to say, but fans didn’t care about Randy as much once Elizabeth was no longer part of the package. The company tried reversing this; they gave Randy the “Macho Midget,” and made Randy a color commentator like Bobby Heenan and Jesse “The Body” Ventura. But the departure of Elizabeth had taken away some of his edge as a performer. It’s another reason why I don’t consider Savage great; he just couldn’t carry it on his own.” - Flair on Randy Savage, who he wrestled at Wrestlemania VIII

Flair praises his first run in the WWF, although he rightfully feels his matches with Hulk Hogan should have been the biggest thing ever, but were barely a blip on the business’ Richter scale due to Hogan’s issues with Vince McMahon at the time. He discusses his return to the company, the various incarnations of the Four Horsemen, Eric Bischoff’s rise in power and more.

Flair also goes deeply into his personal agony as WCW tried to destroy his legacy, despite how much he meant to the lineage and tradition of the company. He places the blame without hesitation on Eric Bischoff being awestruck and maneuvered by the likes of Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage, among others.

Flair refuses to forgive Bischoff (and Hogan) even today, especially after he reveals that many of the acquisitions that helped set WCW onto the path of dominance over the WWF (Bobby Heenan, Gene Okerlund, Hogan, Savage) were ones that Flair himself suggested. Like Dusty Rhodes before him, Bischoff ignored Flair after Flair had tried to do nothing more than help the company succeed.

Despite his desire to help the company and initial approval of Bischoff as the head of WCW, Flair found himself on the outs and the target of a jealous group of performers who sought to keep him out of the spotlight, all for ego. They were already making more then Flair, but they couldn’t stop the crowd from loving him.

One can actually feel Flair’s pain as he became the designated fall guy for WCW again and again in an attempt to placate Hogan’s ego and do the best thing for business, despite the business doing nothing in exchange for him. At the same time, according to Flair, Hogan was more obsessed by insider wrestling newsletters then anything else. Flair admits he was just trying to survive by then.

”In 1999, four months after being released from WCW, The Renegade shot himself to death in his kitchen in Marietta, Georgia. The guy obviously had other problems, so I’d never blame Hogan for the suicide. But I do blame both Hogan and Bischoff for inflating the kid’s ego and giving him the impression that he was capable of being a star.” - Flair on the late Renegade Rick Wilson, who held the WCW Television championship.

You can hear the outrage as Flair’s best friend Arn Anderson is disrespected by management and later the disgust in the NWO sketch that mocked Arn’s retirement. Flair also reveals for the first time the person who came up with the sketch, and shockingly, it wasn't Kevin Nash or Hulk Hogan, but Flair's friend Terry Taylor.

Flair tells a hysterical story about Brutus Beefcake trying to explain why he shouldn’t be having a competitive house show match with Eddie Guerrero at the same time Flair was feuding with Hogan. He discusses his lawsuit with WCW over missing a date to attend his son Reid’s amateur wrestling competition and Bischoff burying him to the WCW wrestlers, boasting he would ruin Flair’s life.

”David didn’t say a word. He took it like a man. You had Curt Hennig and Barry Windham, two of the best performers during their primes, and they bounced around for every one of David’s moves. My son couldn’t do anything, and they made him look like a star. And then there was Hogan – with all his experience, and all his celebrity – trying to be cute. He whipped David like a dog. It was sickening, and I’ll never forgive him for it." - Flair on Hulk Hogan taking liberties on David Flair during a Nitro angle, whipping him 15-20 times instead of the discussed 3-4 lashes with a belt.

Despite his best efforts, the problems continued and little by little; piece by piece, political woes and injuries ate away at Flair. Flair discusses needing to see a sports psychologist and his own loss of faith in himself. While fans have always seen him as the jetflying, limo riding son of a gun of their youth, Flair himself had lost all belief in his talent by then. It was so bad that by the time he returned to WWE in late 2001, his feelings remained.

Flair writes about how he needed to be constantly reminded by the McMahon family (who he obviously loves based on their portrayal in the book) that he was one of the greatest performers in the sport and not someone who time had passed by. One also understands the feeling of relief that went through Flair when WCW finally collapsed, although he admits that if he knew how cheaply Vince McMahon got it for, he would have made a play for the tape library himself. Flair admits that he only wrestled on the last Nitro as a favor to McMahon, who wanted to close the Nitro circle the way it began, with Flair vs. Sting.

”There’s a difference between being a great performer and being a guy – like Brutus Beefcake or the Ultimate Warrior – who became famous because he happened to be working for Vince. It’s the same with Foley. When he hasn’t been working for Vince, there has been no demand for him whatsoever. He’s just another guy.” -Flair on Mick Foley

Despite his dislike of Foley (and he has lots more on that subject), Flair’s biggest issue remains with Bischoff and Hogan for their abuse of him in WCW. One can tell of Flair’s disgust when he was hired by WWE, although Flair notes that Bischoff is on the same level as Flair now. Flair writes about trying to force Bischoff to fight him backstage at a Raw and when being reprimanded by Vince McMahon, being asked who else he wanted to do that to. Flair’s answer was Hogan. Flair even admits that of everyone he met in the business, Bischoff was the worst, noting that at least Vince Russo did his best to insure Flair received money owed to him by WCW.

The book finishes with the impromptu Greenville, South Carolina Ric Flair pep rally that WWE held for Flair after his match with Triple H on Raw. Flair notes that the wrestlers coming out, organized by Tommy Dreamer, was the moment he felt like “The Nature Boy” again. He credits Triple H for that match and for helping him when he returned to WWE. For all the talk of political abuse of power and other Internet complaints about Triple H, if he truly did help Flair find himself, every fan of this business owes him a thank you.

”To Be The Man” features a humble introduction by Triple H. It lists Mark Madden as editor and was co-written by Keith Elliot Greenberg, who authored Freddie Blassie’s biography. With this tremendous book, Greenberg himself takes another step towards his own place in wrestling history, as one of the most important historical writers on the business. He should be proud of this body of work, as should Flair. Madden as well, should be praised for his work on the book. The book is sprinkled with awesome photos taken at different points of Flair’s career.

The book is written from Flair’s point of view, but also features comments from many who impacted his career and life including all of his children, his wife Beth, Ricky Steamboat, David Crockett, Harley Race, Jim Cornette, Earl Hebner, Triple H, Ken Patera, Bobby Heenan, and so many others. While I would have loved a few comments from Sting, this book is as perfect as any ever written about the business.

This book will remind everyone once and for all that, “Diamonds are forever, and so is Ric Flair.” If you are any kind of fan of this business, you need to read this book. If you are a fan who has given up on the business, this book will remind you of what you loved. If you are someone breaking into this business, this book will teach you the very important lesson of knowing when to give in and how hard work will always endear you to the most important people in the business – the fans. No matter who you are, if you are reading this, you want to read this book, as soon as you can.

Link

You Bret Hart fan boys going to jump on Flair's shit now for what he said? I don't agree with what he said about Foley of course. People loved to see him in ECW, WCW, and Japan, he was not a nobody, or "just another guy" to the fans in any of those places.

Guest wildpegasus

Controversial? Yes, but everyone's definitely going to be discussing and reading this book. I wonder how big this thread will get? I say over 10 pages anyway.

The only thing stopping me from running out and getting this book right now is the $40.00 price tag. I only have $35 on me right now. :(

Guest whitemilesdavis
“Bret never regained the fame he’d had in the World Wrestling Federation. Part of it had to do with terrible booking, the other part with Bret’s own deficiencies. What unnerved me the most was the way he used his brother’s death. Through his column in the Calgary Sun, Bret relentlessly bashed Vince McMahon. I sympathize with the emotion – and even the anger – he felt over losing a brother, but I lost respect for him when he made the case into a public spectacle. Why didn’t he take the matter up privately with Vince? It seemed to me that Bret cared more about getting “screwed” in Montreal than he did about Owen’s death, and he used his brother’s death to grind his ax with Vince” - Flair on Bret Hart

Uh-oh, cue Flair hatred from everyone on this board.

And if that's true, about Hogan beating on David, then Hogan sucks. Taking advantage of a little guy like that is not cool.

Guest BionicRedneck

I love Flair, but let's face it, he's senile. Plus, his book is probably full of him blow-jobbing Helmsley, which is just sad.

Guest Loss

This is gold. Pure comic gold. Let's see just how many bridges you can burn with this book, Ric. Funny thing is that we've only heard a few excerpts -- I'd hate to hear him go really in depth on his feelings on Hogan, Luger, Nash, Bischoff, Herd, Bret and Foley.

Saying Savage couldn't cut it on his own was ridiculous. He was nearing the end of his prime when Liz was factored out of the equation, and still managed to draw money for WCW in 1996 and 1997 after a brief career revival of sorts. It's also worth mentioning that he was considered one of the best in the business LONG before he got his big break.

Greatest review ever.

For no doubt The Greatest Book of All Time.

This Mike Johnson character must be really talented at typing with one hand.

definitely.

TSM needs to hire this man for their main page, now. he is the future of wrestling journalism and commentary.

okay, i was going to go into a long jerkoff grandstanding spiel about how this was one of the best 'net articles ever written, but i'm too tired.

there's good comedy in the idea though. anybody else, feel free to use it.

Guest whitemilesdavis

As rediculous as some of those comments are, I gotta admit, it really makes me wanna read the book.

Guest Goodear

This is gold. Pure comic gold. Let's see just how many bridges you can burn with this book, Ric.

I agree on the comic gold part, but what bridges does Flair have to worry about at this point? He obviously loves him some McMahon and Triple H who are the most powerful figures in wrestling by a large margin, the people he's burying are largely out of the business, and Ric himself can't hang on much longer anyway. What sort of business would he be doing with Mick Foley anyway?

Saying Savage couldn't cut it on his own was ridiculous. He was nearing the end of his prime when Liz was factored out of the equation, and still managed to draw money for WCW in 1996 and 1997 after a brief career revival of sorts.

Not to mention that Elizabeth was largely window dressing for the majority of Savage's intial heel run in the WWF and wasn't with him at all after Wrestlemania V until his 'retirement'. Randy is so underrated its sad.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

His slights on Foley, Savage, and even Hart are completely unwarranted. Flair is just as enamoured with himself as Hogan is. He just can't see that.

1. Hart consistantly bashed McMahon in the media because he was always asked about it. Personally I don't agree with constantly airing one's dirty laundry for public sympathy, but to say Bret cared more about the Montreal screwjob than owen's death is preposterous. Y'know, that argument may hold water if Bret was still bitter at Vince, but he's not. Time heels old wounds, the Montreal screwjob seems to be forgotten, but Owen's death still shakes Bret to this day. Flair's comments here are completelty out of line.

2. Savage was nothing without Elizabeth? Horseshit. He was still over without her in his later WWF years. His Madness heel character in 87 was about him, but her whatsoever. Goodear said it right, he's so underated it hurts.

3. Its amazing how Flair can promote Triple H so much yet piss on Foley. Has he talked to his new messiah at all? It was Foley who MADE Triple H. Everyone knows this, even Triple H. I think the old school wrestlers truly underestimate Foley because of his appearence and past hardcore leanings. Foley has had more great matches with the WWE Main Eventers (Undertaker, Rock, Triple H, Austin, Michaels, Vader) than anyone else. I don't think this is just one entire coincidence.

Flair is a self serving ass. How can I take any of his opinions seriously when he rips on Savage, Hart and Foley and yet will probably praise AA. Nothing against AA, but give me a break. Comparing Foley to Beefcake, just because you sucked so much as a booker that you could not see the star power in austin and Foley does not mean they sucked and were created by Vince. Both of those men put a lot into their own characters.

One more thing Flair did not actually write this book so how can the reviewer even compare it to Foley. The reviewer was obvisously biased.

Guest Coffey

I don't see what the problem is. The man is entitled to his opinion. Afterall, it's his book. It he wants to bash people in his book while praising others, so be it.

I agree. But, I think everyone here will agree there are some basic standards which make a good to great wrestler. Someone in Flairs position knows as well. To me, he is not being honest, he is lying in order to further an agenda. Maybe I am just to gullible, but I felt Foley gave his honest opinion, right or wrong.

You have to remember that this is a WWE sanctioned book, and Flair is not going to seriously rip on the guy who signs the paycheques. Or his son in law.

He will rip on the people its safe to rip on, and praise the people who are not safe to rip on. Or at least hold his tongue.

It's safe to criticize Hart, Savage, and Hogan. And even Foley. It's not safe to rip on McMahon or HHH. I don't believe Flair thinks everything those two did was brilliant and fair.

I bet if Hogan were in WWE right now, this book wouldn't be nearly as critical of him.

It looks like an interesting read, but like any wrestling book you need to turn on your BS detector before reading.

Guest whitemilesdavis

You know, I've heard other wrestlers say that Savage was a bad worker. Personally, I think he's one of the best ever. I wonder what's up with that. Dynamite Kid, in his book, said some things about him being hard to work with in the ring. I wonder if maybe Savage was just such a jerk off-camera (i.e. locking Liz in closets) that a lot of wrestlers are biased against him.

Guest Goodear
I don't see what the problem is. The man is entitled to his opinion. Afterall, it's his book. It he wants to bash people in his book while praising others, so be it.

Fair enough, but we also have the option of responding to what he says and disagreeing with it. I actually have the least amount of problem with him talking about Foley the way he is considering the pounding Flair took from Mick in 'Have a Nice Day'.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I really can't wait to read this one. I know that other people and myself included will disagree with things that he says......but with all his experience in the business, I don't understand how anyone that enjoys wrestling wouldn't read this one though.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

I'm only taking Flair to task on his tasteless comments about Bret Hart. He doesn't know anything about the situation, and his assumptions of it all are hurtfull, damaging, and more than likely, grossly untrue. This is Flair's payback for Hart being critical of Flair's legend, repetitive matches, and spotty pshychology. Flair seems more vindictive than anything here.

Guest whitemilesdavis
Maybe I am just to gullible, but I felt Foley gave his honest opinion, right or wrong.

Tom Zenk ranked his(Foley's) book as the most full of crap, and I'd assume he's more of an insider than most of us. Not to say Zenk isn't full of crap, but you get my point. It's all a matter of perspective. If you're a Savage mark, you'll get pissed if someone says something bad about Savage.

And I love that Flair is gonna trash people. I loved when Foley trashed Flair. Dyno trashed, well, a lot of people. Heenan trashed Schiavone. That's what makes the books fun to read. It's our little peak behind the curtain of pro-wrestling. Come on, we already know it's fixed, babyfaces and heels, bookers....we know all that, but we don't know what's inside the minds of the guys we watch.

Guest Dynamite Kido
Is this book out right now?

Nope. Highspots has the release date for June 28th......

Here is a pic of the cover for those who haven't seen it yet.

book_flair_cover.jpg

Guest whitemilesdavis

That cover is ultra-cheezy. He's right about Renegade, if anyone told that guy he could be star, they should be locked up.

Guest Trivia247

I like the part that it was Tommy Dreamer that organized that tribute for flair after his match with HHH.

It proves that he isn't just some Hardcore extreme Freak from ECW but someone who truly respects the business he's in. and hopefully will still be in with the WWE even in a non wrestling compacity.

Even though I did criticize what he said, these are only quotes, I will need to read to the entire book to give a more accurate opinion. Its just that in Foleys book he also pointed out how Flair was one of, if not the best performer of all time, hopefully Flair can point out the positives with the negatives.

Guest Goodear
That cover is ultra-cheezy. He's right about Renegade, if anyone told that guy he could be star, they should be locked up.

So what should happen to the people that fosted David Flair upon the wrestling masses?

Guest whitemilesdavis
So what should happen to the people that fosted David Flair upon the wrestling masses?

Do you believe in capital punishment?