TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ronixis

OMG? Can a brotha tell me how to save Smackdown?

Guest Ronixis

Uh... (Spoilers)

JBL as champ?

JBL fucking wannabe GWB as champ?

I DONT see this as a way to make that WWE Title any better than it is now?

Remember when Cripple H (now called Smarty H because he knew Smackdown was going nowhere) stated that Smackdown had a Paper Tiger Champ? Well Angle shot back at him.

Nobody did realise that Crips was telling the truth then, and has been proven right now.

I hate to say this, but making a Title that has no history to become just has large and huge as the WWE Title, which history goes back to 1912- is one of the greatest Achivements in Sport Period.

And all Trips had to do was to Tap out at WM20.

Because The Brand dont know, and dont care about "The Rock's" show- in fact- even HE dont care about his own show. He's on Austins show talking to his boys in Miami how they cant win a Super Boul, and gets 4.3 ratings in the process.

And Trips has not lifted a finger.

Because The Brand goes all out for the Great American Bash- a PPV they never made, was apart of the NWA/WCW history and they give it to a "True American", self made man, who money has it all right but morals (dealing with sexuality mostly) is in plight. Oh, and he broke the law, and never apologised. The True Champ- who has changed his life (for the most part) and is walking with the higher power (despite his gimmick) is shafted, 2 months away before getting his chance to ONE up Trips and that "Raw" Title Belt- to face and possibly win over the Undertaker.

That's not gonna happen.

And Trips is laughing.

Because now, Planned or Not- Trips, his boys at Evolution Is A Mystery- and all the rest- will become the BIG GUYS, the place where WWE can place all there hopes apon, Forget that title over there- the title so much pain and blood has been split on. MY TITLE, Given by Uncle Eric, Held by ME for a while and has made Chris Benoit a KING, means much more now!

JBL- is nothing more but the ploy to make Smackdown the bush league show.

If I was TNA- AIM FOR SMACKDOWN. They are so WEAK now- they need something to compete against.

Cause I aint watching that NJPW Reject KNOWN as SMACKDOWN, anymore until they start to CARE.

I'll watch the AJPW Reject Known as RAW...

Thursday's show needs to open with Undertaker (as a biker) waking up and finding Paul Bearer in his shower. It was all a dream.

You seriously think Bradshaw being champion is part of a grand HHH plot to make Smackdown look awful. You also use the retarded "Belt A having more lineage than Belt B so Belt A should be treated better" argument.

Wrong, and wrong.

Bradshaw being champion, to me, appears to be a way to drag on the Eddie/Bradshaw program until Summerslam while some real heels are built to be challengers for Eddie later, and main eventers period. There's no one outside of Eddie and Bradshaw who can conceivably be in a title program right now. They're either busy with other unresolved stuff or had their vendettas with Eddie mysteriously dropped as quick as they appeared or aren't at that level yet.

Fuck belt lineage. Belts are only as important as the intensity and quality of their contention. I could hold a belt dating from 1856, but if I've got ham-n-egger challengers, it means nothing. The lineage argument is just brought up when smarks want to voice their displeasure at something. It never comes up when they're happy.

Bradshaw being champion, to me, appears to be a way to drag on the Eddie/Bradshaw program until Summerslam while some real heels are built to be challengers for Eddie later, and main eventers period. There's no one outside of Eddie and Bradshaw who can conceivably be in a title program right now. They're either busy with other unresolved stuff or had their vendettas with Eddie mysteriously dropped as quick as they appeared or aren't at that level yet.

Dude you are in denial, SD has gone from bad to worse.There're plenty of guys in the SD roster that could do a better job as a #1 heel but WWE refuses to give them a push b/c they are not either loved by management or were famous in WCW/ECW.

This whole brand extension is a failure its about time to chalk it up as a total loss and give fans the match ups they want (i.e eddie vs benoit,cena vs orton) the title scene on both shows is getting to thin and Smackdown is resembling WCW Thunder it is going to take a massive ratings drop or nobody ordering Smackdown exclusive PPV's to get this sham to end and give the fans the matches they deserve and spend their hard earned money on.

Heh, I sometimes wish that I received a channel that showed Smackdown just so that I could see how laughably bad it has become. :P

Guest Wondermouse
Dude you are in denial, SD has gone from bad to worse.There're plenty of guys in the SD roster that could do a better job as a #1 heel but WWE refuses to give them a push b/c they are not either loved by management or were famous in WCW/ECW.

Except that only one person besides JBL can work a main event program with Eddie right now, and it's Taker. I think they're taking an extra month or so right now to try to establish Taker as a heel. That way, if/when they run Taker/Eddie, Taker isn't the one getting cheered.

I think WWE backed themselves into a corner 2 months ago. Extending the feud was probably the smartest thing they could do right now, aside from maybe a face/face program with Eddie/Cena, and, even then, the unexplained overness of Cena could be bad for Eddie.

I think the best thing to do now is just use a No-DQ match for the blowoff, have Eddie do about 80% of the offense, and have Bradshaw bleed like a champ. I'd give the match a million billion stars if JBL takes the ladder powerbomb Edge did.

Guest Wondermouse

Well, WWE just hasn't got a great hold on the whole brand extension thing yet. That's troubling, given how long it's been around. It always seems like one show is good while the other isn't - unless, of course, neither are.

It's a great idea in theory, but I'm wondering if WWE just doesn't have the resources and intelligence to run two seperate rosters. I think that, in the right hands, it could definitely work. I'd say the biggest problem is the fact that RAW has the abundance of midcard singles guys, while SD has the abundance of the tag teams and cruiserweights. Yet, we get the tag champs in a handicap match, one cruiserweight match we've all seen before, and nearly your whole credible midcard in one match.

Now, instead of being content with not having a huge midcard mix, they try to build up three guys (Kenzo, Mordecai, and Luther) by putting more or less 3 squashes on the card. One of them being the most recent tag champ.

And I guess their burial of Charlie Haas is another thing that's wrong with SD. Not necessarily the fact that they did it, but the fact that it's indicative of their inability to think on the fly. Rico's hurt, but for weeks, Rico/Charlie was actually entertaining, and part of, more or less, a general formula to make it a decent show. Some Cena, some Guerreros, from Rico/Charlie, and a viewer might come away not feeling like it was a completely worthless show. But Rico's out of the picture, and Charlie, a legitimately good tag performer, is losing to Horshu on PPV. Like - oh, well, we can't do anything now that Plan A is gone. Here, go get killed.

I think SD has the talent, in general, to put out entertaining stuff. It's just that the way the show's run now can't take advantage of what it does have, and, instead, tries to be RAW or something, and it fails. It won't be a restructuring of the roster that saves SD, it'll be a restructuring of the booking team.

The key is to push the CWs and Tag division with at least a couple feuds going on in each division at a time (title and non-title feud).

Here's what last night's card could have been:

Eddy v.s. RVD (w/ Heyman) --> Ladder match

Cena v.s. Booker T v.s. Dupree

Taker v.s. JBL

Dudleys v.s. Rico/Haas

Gunn/Holly v.s. Bashams

Rey v.s. Chavo

Noble v.s. London

Mordecai/Suzuki/Luther Reigns v.s. Funaki/Spike/Kidman

Torrie v.s. Sable

Here's a card using the same announced uppercard and using all the guys who worked the PPV.

Eddy v.s. JBL bullrope

Cena v.s. RVD v.s. Booker v.s. Dupree

Dudleys v.s. Taker

Rey v.s. Chavo

----------------------------

Gunn/Holly v.s. Bashams (an actual tag team match)

London v.s. Noble (workrate match to get these guys over)

Mordecai/Suzuki/Luther v.s. Funaki/Spike/Haas (gets all these guys over without a straight squash match and hides their limitations)

Torrie v.s. Sable

Heat: Nunzio v.s. Kidman

You could add Akio/Sakoda to Noble's team and Kidman/Moore to London's team, then replace Kidman in the Heat match with Scotty.

The problem is the booking is very poor on the show. The roster isn't in great shape as far as the positioning of guys goes, but it's nothing that's impossible. I've just put on a much stronger undercard and pretty much everyone is going to come out on the undercard better off.

Guest Wondermouse
Thank you Wondermouse.

Hey, I have to stick up for anyone with that awesome an avatar.

Eddy v.s. RVD (w/ Heyman) --> Ladder match

No qualms here.

Cena v.s. Booker T v.s. Dupree

I'd take Dupree out. He's had his chance, let Booker take it alone.

Taker v.s. JBL

Taker has to get over as a heel if he's going to be a title contender, and putting him against JBL doesn't help things. Unless there's a SWERVE~! and JBL uses Taker, but I doubt that works. I don't like the killing of Paul Bearer, but Taker needs to be heel, and needs Heyman. Maybe Taker kills JBL to huge face pop, but, in the main, interferes (unsuccessfully) to try to get the title with Heyman.

Dudleys v.s. Rico/Haas

Rico has a bum leg, and is out for 2-3 months. You might be able to pull the "surprise partner subs for injured guy," but who? (As a side note, there could be skits of Haas trying to find a tag partner, but having to resort to Jackie doing, the erm, "talking").

Gunn/Holly v.s. Bashams

Pass.

Rey v.s. Chavo

Noble v.s. London

Throw them all together in an elimination match to start it off.

Mordecai/Suzuki/Luther Reigns v.s. Funaki/Spike/Kidman

Torrie v.s. Sable

No thank you.

So, what I have, I guess.

WWE Title Match: Eddie © vs. RVD (w/Heyman) - Ladder Match (Taker interferes on RVD's part, but Eddie still retains, setting up Taker/Eddie for Summerslam)

US Title Match: Cena © vs. Booker - Booker wins, setting up a rematch, at SummerSlam.

Taker vs. JBL, just to see JBL get killed.

Dudleys vs. Haas/??? - How about Spike? Really the only guy who can fit here... Dudleyz win, I guess.

CW Title: Rey vs. Chavo vs. Noble vs. London, Elimination. Keep it on Rey to make it stronger.

My card seems fine, except it's a bit short, and there's no Kenzo/Mordecai/Luther or Dupree. Mordecai needs some sort of feud, but really, nothing was given except Holly (ugh). You could keep that on there, I guess. Don't know what to do with Dupree, which, I suppose, is why he's been kept in the US Title scene, even after being Cena's bitch about 10 times already. A bit of a clusterfuck, but SD's been giving us nothing lately in the way of feuds, really.

I'd probably pay to see the Title match and the elimination match.

Could, shoulda, woulda.

Face it...all this talk of 'London should face Noble at da PPV coz they is great workrate, yo~!' is beyond pointless until they're actually doing something. The average WWE fan isn't going to buy a PPV to see a possible **** match between two lower-midcarders...they're not trained to.

Obviously no-one is going to accept Bradshaw as champion. They're damned from the start, because you know no-one will give him a chance before his reign even starts, so I won't bother on that.

What difference is RVD as champ or Booker as champ going to make? An extra * here or there?

Saving Smackdown isn't as easy as 'Give London a push' and 'Fire Bradshaw'. Believe it or not, wrestling is more complex than that.

Guest Wondermouse
The average WWE fan isn't going to buy a PPV to see a possible **** match between two lower-midcarders...they're not trained to.

Okay, so, which of the following matches did the average WWE fan buy the PPV for?

Kenzo/Gunn?

Luther/Haas?

Torrie/Sable?

Mordecai/Holly?

Really, no one's gonna buy a PPV for Kenzo Suzuki because no one gives a shit about him.

Oh wait, NO ONE bought the PPV in the first place.

People aren't going to buy a PPV to see a London match. But, it will most likely entertain them more than 3 squash matches will. And that factors into the future, because, a customer will have a better overall experience watching the show, remember that, and be more likely to shell out bucks in the future.

What difference is RVD as champ or Booker as champ going to make? An extra * here or there?

Well, let's take a look at RVD. Most RVD/Eddie situations would have RVD as part of Heyman's "group" (with, I guess, the Dudleyz and Taker). Having Eddie go against, more or less, all 4 of those guys would help bring credibility, and probably a more interesting storyline than what's currently going on.

JBL should've gotten a slower push, perhaps with a US Title feud with Cena, give the fans a little time to get used to him, and give him some credibility. The guy went from jobbing for about 8 years to world champ in two months. I prefer my champions to have to work a little harder than that.

Of course, my card technically undoes some of the stuff they've been doing on Smackdown recently, because they screwed some stuff up after Judgment Day. Given the way they went, I can see why they gave JBL the belt. I'd prefer they have not to, but, if Eddie beats the hell out of Bradshaw at Summerslam, or on a Smackdown soon, it's fine by me.

Saving Smackdown isn't as easy as 'Give London a push' and 'Fire Bradshaw'. Believe it or not, wrestling is more complex than that.

Let's see, I'm looking all up and down this thread, but I don't see anyone saying that's the way to save Smackdown.

LIAR MATCH QUALITY IS ALL THAT MATTERS BOW TO DA SNOWFLAEKZ

It's not a solution per se, but pushing the cruiser division could really help. Now don't get me wrong, it wouldn't be the focus of the show. But SD needs something that makes it unique from Raw. I always liked it in the beginning of the brand split when Tazz and Cole would brag about having the cruiser division. It's a very good supplement to a show. It could be similar to how it was in WCW. NOt necessarly the focus, but an integeral part of the show.

Another thing: for the love of God, progress the damn storylines already! You could have not watched SD from Judgement Day to GAB, and you wouldn't have missed a thing. Make the show can't-miss in terms of storyline if it isn't (which it won't anytime soon) can't-miss wrestling wise.

Let's see, I'm looking all up and down this thread, but I don't see anyone saying that's the way to save Smackdown.

The thread is called 'how to save Smackdown!' You do the math.

People aren't going to buy a PPV to see a London match. But, it will most likely entertain them more than 3 squash matches will. And that factors into the future, because, a customer will have a better overall experience watching the show, remember that, and be more likely to shell out bucks in the future

I agree, but without a reason for it being there, fans aren't going to care. And to be honest, Paul London is like a penguin in the dessert right now. Lost. Alone. And screwed. The WWE isn't going to give him guaranteed storylines. The sooner he realises it and leaves the better for him.

I agree too with the RVD stuff. But an RVD/Eddie feud won't make Smackdown great. RVD isn't the superstar certain posters (humungous whatever his name is) says he is, he's proven to be unproffessional and unmotivated. Better than Bradshaw? Yes. Better candidate for a feud than Booker, Cena or Taker? No. Cena/Taker vs. Eddie after Eddie beats Bradshaw at Summerslam. That's where the possible money lies. Even that may not be enough though.

The only way to save Smackdown is for Vince to give a damn about it, or hire someone competant to give a damn about it.

Getting away from the hire/fire/trade fantasy booking thoughts, Smackdown needs to do a better job of building up who they have, and cannot expect people to get into them right away. The basis of the JBL character is a throwback to Ted DiBiase, one of the most over heels ever. However, it's BRADSHAW. People can be saved by makeovers (re: Jacobs, Glen), but they need to put a little effort into it. Beating Rey Mysterio Jr. and being handed a title shot by the heel GM will not make you a believable, top level villain.

The newbies, like Suzuki and Mordecai, need more TV time for people to get familiar with them. Having matches against dead in the water midcarders like Holly or Gunn should not be taking place on a PPV people are paying $35 for. Save that crap for Velocity, or opening segments on Smackdown. The Luther/Haas match I could see working OK under the circumstances (Angle mad at Haas, surprises him with match), but again, isn't that a segment better suited for normal TV? They should have had Haas vs. Dupree or something to that extent, had Haas lose it, then this Thursday Angle could have done the same exact angle with he and Luther.

The cruiserweights do need a push. So does the tag division. I understand guys like Mordecai, etc. are gonna need ragdolls to toss around to look imposing, but why do it at the expense of the Noble's, Akio's, or Kidman's? Guys like Spike who are great sellers, or guys like Scotty 2 Hotty who can work either cruiser or heavyweight style are good for that. Let the lightweights shine a little bit (God forbid if we do THAT, though). Tag division wise, those same guys can be an asset there. Akio and Sakoda do NOTHING these days. Shannon Moore and Billy Kidman could be a nice cocky dickhead heel tag team with a little tweaking and maybe one of the women doing nothing of note (Dawn Marie, Sable) behind them.

There's a lot that could be done, and while it would take some time, it'd be better than the rush jobs and minimum effort we get now.

A friend of mine feels like John Bradshaw Layfield is more like Colonel Parker than anything else. Can't say I disagree with her.

If Bradshaw is going to become a throwback to Ted, he needs a Virgil. I vote for Orlando Jordan since he can't seem to wrestle and the Billy Blanks looking fool needs something to do.

Guest Justin Competent

There are a couple things that now can be done with the results from GAB.

Concerning the WWE Championship:

1. Have JBL hold the belt for a month and have Eddie win it back to blow-off the fued once and for all.

2. Eddie gets his rematch on SmackDown this week, and wins the belt back. This would makes JBL's win look like nothing more than a fluke (much like when Kane won the title from Austin).

3. Since JBL won the title in a controversial matter, a higher athority shows up and reversed the decision. (Much like when Chris Jericho beat Triple H or when Chris Benoit beat The Rock)

4. Give Bradshaw a lengthy title reign, and watch as the core fan-base slowly stop watching.

As for the Undertaker, I can see a heel Taker take on Eddie at SummerSlam, and I see that as the most logical course.

The Dudley Boyz are slightly more interesting than they were on RAW. It would be good for them to be the so-called 'unstoppable' force in the Tag Divison. Speaking of which, are Kidman and London still a tag-team? If so, I'd love it to see them be the ones to beat the Dudleyz for the belts.

Mordecai, Luther Reigns, Kenzo Suzuki... too many unstoppable monsters at one time. Luther works good as the bodyguard for Kurt, and should wrestle only occationally. Mordecai has potential, so I'd keep developing his character to see if he can be interesting. As for Suzuki, he has to go, as he is worthless.

And the Cruiserweight Division, this is the only reason I'm watching SmackDown! this week. If the I'm hoping that the failed Jaqueline and Chavo Classic pushes will prove that they need to actually get something happening in this division. If nothing else, it would keep the core audience watching if there is at least a **+ match on every show.

If Bradshaw is going to become a throwback to Ted, he needs a Virgil. I vote for Orlando Jordan since he can't seem to wrestle and the Billy Blanks looking fool needs something to do.

Lamont isn't doing anything. At least he makes some mildly amusing facial expression. Orlando Jordan is just...there.

Plus, Bradshaw would need a short guy to play his Virgil, to impose the fact he's tall and Eddie is not.

An underdog tag team, in the vein of London/Kidman (but not necessarily those two guys) should be the ones to defeat The Dudleys, as it would make for good TV. They build up all the time how the Dudley Boyz are the greatest tag team going today due to their numerous reigns, etc. They're playing the role of Heyman's hitmen now, so have them brutalize two of the cruisers (yeah I know, but bear with me, I'm not going insane) like say...Jamie Noble and Paul London. The two cruisers both want revenge, and seeing the best way to go about it is not alone, they join forces, albeit reluctantly at first. No one takes them seriously (kayfabe wise) because they're "lower" than The Dudleys, and can't even get along themselves. After a few weeks of storyline, Noble and London get their shit together and get one over on The Dudleys for the belts, shocking the world. They continue to team and become a full-on tandem, and you could set them up for a feud with the Moore/Kidman heel team I mentioned above, which would produce some good matchups both tag wise and in singles matches to build the feud.

Another idea: pair off the women with wrestlers. It's what they are best at. Put Torrie with the team of London/Kidman if those two stay a team. It gives the fans something to care about intially before they garner interest by themselves.

Put Dawn Marie with Dupree, like they were going to originally. Or put her with any heel that may get pushed soon in the future. She proved to be a fine valet with the Impact Players in ECW. Why not capitalize on that? Instead of only being on TV when the monthly bikini/bra&panties contests occure, take advantage of her bitchy personality. She does that pretty well.

Lamont isn't doing anything. At least he makes some mildly amusing facial expression. Orlando Jordan is just...there.

Plus, Bradshaw would need a short guy to play his Virgil, to impose the fact he's tall and Eddie is not.

Perfect!

Although he needs to lose the hair. The hair will drag Bradshaw down and no way would anyone believe Bradshaw would allow a man with a big fake fro as his lackey. Not bald though cause that would be too obvious, just a nice trim down.

Plus can Lamont even wrestle? Granted neither could Virgil but he was passable and he did win the Million Dollar Belt once.

She proved to be a fine valet with the Impact Players in ECW. Why not capitalize on that? Instead of only being on TV when the monthly bikini/bra&panties contests occure, take advantage of her bitchy personality. She does that pretty well.

What about the Bashams?

Give them a personality and team them with Dawn. They have personality if the WWE will just allow them to use it. Since personality will allow them TV to learn the basic style and give the company another solid heel tag team.

But for goodness sake, give Damaja a better name than DANNY.