TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Red Sox-Yankees Series

Since it is a big series which will generate alot of discussion on its own, I am starting a new thread to discuss the upcoming Red Sox/Yankees series. The Red Sox are 5.5 games back. If the Yankees manage a sweep, the lead widens to 8.5 games, and at that point I don't think George & Co. will worry much about midseason trades. If the Sox sweep however, it is the opposite scenario.

Tuesday: Lowe vs. Vazquez

Wednesday: Wakefield vs. Lieber

Thursday: Martinez vs. Halsey

Guest Salacious Crumb

Even if they wanted to, I don't see how the Yankees can manage more than one trade. Everyone talks about George buying who he wants midseason but they all seem to forget that the Yankees only have 1 maybe 2 good prospects left. So how are they going to take a team's payroll when all they have is crap in the minors and a bunch of big contracts on the actual team. Don't see them making a huge move.

I hope Ortiz can keep on his fiery pace. He's been on a roll lately, as has Manny.

Also hope Lowe pitches well, he's 3-1 in his last few starts, but some of those have been rocky, outside of his excellent start against the Dodgers.

I'm glad that I'm not in Long Island anymore, so I don't have to deal with all of the damn Yankee fans.

And go Sox. I think I might just stay in tonight so I can watch the game.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

Gonna be fun as hell, we'll get to see if the early series were flukes and in terms of standings this is definetly one of the more important pre-AS series.

Go Yankees!

I always enjoy watching these two teams play each other. The Red Sox need at least 2 games this series to make the race interesting for the next few weeks at least. Today's pitching matchup favors the Yankees, tomorrow's could go either way, and Thursday favors the Red Sox. Looks to be a good series.

Hey, there's only 90 games left in this season! This series means so much, and has such postseason implications.

/wake me in September when the games actually mean something. Either team could get swept this week and still win the division by 10 games.

My prediction for tonight's game, Red Sox 6 Yankees 4. Ramirez comes up with some key hits and the bullpen shuts the Yankees down. I predicted last year's NBA finals correctly so now I'm just making predictions on everything. Now if anyone needs help placing bets for tonight's WNBA games....

Guest Anglesault
Hey, there's only 90 games left in this season! This series means so much, and has such postseason implications.

Should the Red Sox get swept, they should start thinking Wild Card.

Now if anyone needs help placing bets for tonight's WNBA games....

The WNBA still exists?

Hey, there's only 90 games left in this season!  This series means so much, and has such postseason implications.

You mean they still think they have a chance at the division title?

Guest Anglesault
Hey, there's only 90 games left in this season!  This series means so much, and has such postseason implications.

You mean they still think they have a chance at the division title?

five and a half is doable. eight and a half, not so much.

That Kid Rock picture is awesome :D

This is going to be a hell of a series. Both teams are rolling offensively and all three pitching matchups have the possibility to go either way (the Yankees can and probably will hit Pedro and the Sox have never seen Halsey). I think the bullpens are the key and I doubt we'll see any 2-1 or 3-2 games.

LET'S PLAY BALL! :firing:

Guest FrigidSoul

Old man Gammons said that the Red Sox may actually be shopping Nomar around to the Cubs. My only guess would be for Matt Clement since both players are in their walk years.

Still, if that deal went down and the Red Sox had a regular rotation of

Pedro

Wakes

Schilling

Clement

Lowe

you don't think they would have a chance at over throwing the Yankees?

There are also talks that the Red Sox are looking for a first baseman and if they could shed payroll they would go after Mike Sweeney. Nomar for Clement sheds about $5mill.

Guest Anglesault
That Kid Rock picture is awesome :D

This is going to be a hell of a series. Both teams are rolling offensively and all three pitching matchups have the possibility to go either way (the Yankees can and probably will hit Pedro

The Yanks can *beat* Pedro. They don't exactly hit him.

And I have a feeling the Admiral is sunk.

I like that deal.

I like Matt Clement and his demeanor. He's a rough pitcher.

Nomar seems uninspired, Pokey has been awesome in the games he's played, Bellhorn is capable of playing second, and Mueller will be back soon.

Pedro was dominant the last time out against the Yanks in the Stadium, too. I don't expect him to repeat it, since his curve was flat-out UNHITTABLE. My only big question mark for the series is Derek Lowe. His starts have been inconsistant in the last few months. Wakefield is hit-or-miss, but Lieber doesn't really scare me.

Guest Anglesault
Nomar seems uninspired,

I wonder why.

Perhaps the loud "They don't want you" chant he's gonna get will give you clues.

Guest Anglesault
True, but he should be over it by now. He sulked on the DL at the beginning of the season.

Maybe now he's upset about the Fenway Faithful heckling his wife, if Gammons os to be believed.

He's one of them sensitive folk.

I'm not going to use the games early in the season to say how this series'll go. The Yankees didn't really get going until May.

To be fair, the Sox didn't play good baseball (offensively) in those April series either. They just sucked a little less than the Yanks.

And don't you live in North Carolina or somewhere like that? how'd you get into this rivalry? I like hearing stories of how people outside of this area view the rivalry.

Edited by Anglesault

I have been calling for a trade for Matt Clement for a long time now. That rotation would be killer. Not to mention they could definitely re-sign him long term with Lowe leaving.

Guest Anglesault
I have been calling for a trade for Matt Clement for a long time now. That rotation would be killer.

And just make it all the more heartbreaking when something inevitably happens at the end.

The Yanks can *beat* Pedro. They don't exactly hit him.

I consider scoring 3-4 runs in 5-6 innings off of Pedro the equivalent of 6-8 runs off a normal pitcher, that's the closest Pedro gets to being hit hard :P

Old man Gammons said that the Red Sox may actually be shopping Nomar around to the Cubs. My only guess would be for Matt Clement since both players are in their walk years.

Still, if that deal went down and the Red Sox had a regular rotation of

Pedro

Wakes

Schilling

Clement

Lowe

you don't think they would have a chance at over throwing the Yankees?

There are also talks that the Red Sox are looking for a first baseman and if they could shed payroll they would go after Mike Sweeney. Nomar for Clement sheds about $5mill.

Cubs fan here, and I would definetely take that trade. We have a real hole at short, and it still seems up in the air when Gonzalez will be back, and he'll still need a long time to recover and his hitting sucked even before he got hurt. I think by trading Clement we'll also have the resources to sign Nomar to a long-term deal.

I have been calling for a trade for Matt Clement for a long time now. That rotation would be killer.

And just make it all the more heartbreaking when something inevitably happens at the end.

And if Nomar goes to the Cubs, guess who drives in the winning run in game 7 of the WS?