TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball

Guest Anglesault
How strange, just 2 days after the team was announced this decision just popped into his head.  Evil genius or asshole you decide.

I call it Clemensian. ;)

Edited by Anglesault

The Rockies have added two in the ninth and now lead the Giants 8-6. Wow. Schmidt goes out there, delivers seven of his usual brilliance and has nothing to show for it except a bullpen can piss away something you spent a couple of hours piecing together.

And with tonight's loss, the Astros are now nine games out of first. They're just one game over .500. It's clear that Beltran isn't going to turn things around on his own. Any thoughts on when they'll start panicing, if they should or if they will?

And with tonight's loss, the Astros are now nine games out of first. They're just one game over .500. It's clear that Beltran isn't going to turn things around on his own. Any thoughts on when they'll start panicing, if they should or if they will?

They shouldn't. They're better than their record indicates, and they're only four games back in the Wild Card race.

Guest Anglesault
, and they're only four games back in the Wild Card race.

Ugh, are they really?

It's pretty sad when even teams with crappy records* can still consider themselves contenders for a playoff spot.

The NL East is the worst.

* No, I don't subscribe to the .500=Good theory.

Zito not turning the corner by now is kind of troublesome. Considering he isn't getting ANY BETTER with his location.......dammit.

Guest Anglesault
Zito not turning the corner by now is kind of troublesome. Considering he isn't getting ANY BETTER with his location.......dammit.

Eh, look at the bright side.

Guest Choken One

Maybe Barry figured "Hey, I can still play better then 90% of the ss's today, why retire now"

Guest Anglesault

The way you act most of the time, you must not subscribe to the ".630 = Good" theory, either.

I operate on a game by game basis with my Yankees.

Maybe Barry figured "Hey, I can still play better then 90% of the ss's today, why retire now"

Plus, he hasn't quite reached the point where too many of his teammates can blather about how they watched him while they were growing up.

Guest Choken One

Aside from Junior...I believe everyone of his primary team-mates had to at least been in their early childhood watching Larkin play.

I think, Injuries bared...Larkin could play another 2 years at this rate.

He got screwed really....stuck behind Ozzie's Shadow during his prime and at his peak...it was the emergence of the Jeters, A-Rods, TeJadas and all the others.

HOFer. No question, anyone that debates that is a idiot.

Zito not turning the corner by now is kind of troublesome.  Considering he isn't getting ANY BETTER with his location.......dammit.

Eh, look at the bright side.

yeah yer right. With the A's farm system, he can be replaced pretty much with the snap of a finger. Beane will convince some struggling club how much of an asset Zito will be, and just like that, he will put together another great trade.

Thanks Anglesault, that helped.

NL RotY thus far certainly is Bay. Crosby probably takes it from the AL with his recognition from being hyped as the next big thing to SS

Lew Ford deserves consideration.

Too bad Joe Mauer missed the first two months or he'd be the ROY.

, and they're only four games back in the Wild Card race.

Ugh, are they really?

It's pretty sad when even teams with crappy records* can still consider themselves contenders for a playoff spot.

The NL East is the worst.

Right now the Cubs lead the Wild Card race, with a .554 Winning Percentage. That puts them on pace for 89 wins. That sounds reasonable for a playoff team.

I think part of the problem is that the NL is so competitive that its hard for any team to pull away. Twelve out of the sixteen teams are currently above .500. Its not that the teams are especially mediocre, its just that the talent is so evenly distributed that teams drift towards .500.

NL RotY thus far certainly is Bay. Crosby probably takes it from the AL with his recognition from being hyped as the next big thing to SS

Lew Ford deserves consideration.

Too bad Joe Mauer missed the first two months or he'd be the ROY.

Ford isn't eligible. He missed the eligibily requirements by a few days I believe.

Guest Evolution

I browsed through this thread and didn't see this reported, so--here goes: As seen on Sportscenter.

"LOUD BASEBALL FANS NOT NEEDED

July 6, 2004 - 5:17 PM

by: Northeast League

by: The Associated Press

The Brockton Rox may be making some noise on the baseball diamond tonight, but it will be a different story in the stands.

Management is hoping Campanelli Stadium will sound like a library.

The minor league team is hoping to break what it claims is a record for the quietest baseball game ever. The promotion is called "Silent Night."

Fans will be given placards reading "yeah" and "boo". They will be told to hold them up instead of verbally cheering.

For the night, ushers will be replaced by librarians, who will scold people for talking.

Legend has it the quietest baseball game was played on a Sunday in 1909 in Jersey City, New Jersey.

Blue laws were in effect -- and management feared if fans made too much noise, police would break up the game."

Yeah, it's minor league, but it is baseball and this really didn't deserve its own thread. Cool fluff, though.

I browsed through this thread and didn't see this reported, so--here goes: As seen on Sportscenter.

"LOUD BASEBALL FANS NOT NEEDED

July 6, 2004 - 5:17 PM

by: Northeast League

by: The Associated Press

The Brockton Rox may be making some noise on the baseball diamond tonight, but it will be a different story in the stands.

Management is hoping Campanelli Stadium will sound like a library.

The minor league team is hoping to break what it claims is a record for the quietest baseball game ever. The promotion is called "Silent Night."

Fans will be given placards reading "yeah" and "boo". They will be told to hold them up instead of verbally cheering.

For the night, ushers will be replaced by librarians, who will scold people for talking.

Legend has it the quietest baseball game was played on a Sunday in 1909 in Jersey City, New Jersey.

Blue laws were in effect -- and management feared if fans made too much noise, police would break up the game."

Yeah, it's minor league, but it is baseball and this really didn't deserve its own thread. Cool fluff, though.

This is not new. The Expos have been doing Silent Nights forever. :D

That's almost as good as Watergate Night. An indy team held a promotion where the PA Announcer spoke in a deep, monotone voice, and the stadium electronics mysteriously shut off for 18 1/2 minutes.

Guest Anglesault
I'm guessing the Yankees will destroy the Twins again in the first round of the playoffs...

Again?

Like last year.

That wasn't the Yankees destroying the Twins.

You'd know if the Yankees destroyed the Twins.

Guest Real F'n Show

They beat them in 4 games. That's close enough to destroying them. I actually had some hope when they won the first game, but then the Yankees had to go and win 3 in a row. Bastards...

My dream is a Cubs/Twins World Series. Wrigley vs. The Metrodome. Wacky.

Guest FrigidSoul

Sidney Ponson and Bartolo Colon are 1 and 2 in worst ERAs by starters who have logged so and so innings. Each are over 6

It just goes to show that you don't give lardos massive contracts in money and years.

Guest FrigidSoul

I don't agree with throwing out a person in the dugout who's speaking his mind from a place where it doesn't show up an ump.

Of course from all accounts this has been one of the worst ump crews this season. How they just let people throw at batters during blowouts was unacceptable.

Ponson is absolutely the unluckiest pitcher in the American League. His HR rate is decent, and his BB and K ratios are good. He's just allowing too many hits. He isn't allowing an abnormal amount of extra base hits, and considering nearly every other pitcher on the Orioles stinks, other factors could be to blame for Ponson's failures.

Bartolo Colon, however, is for real. 26 home runs is a high number to give up in a full season. Colon has needed just 97.1 innings to log them.

I wouldn't blame the weight however. That is just coincidence. Plenty of fat pitchers have succeeded, notably Mickey Lolich and David Wells.

Looking at Ponson's numbers don't tell any story. Watching the guy pitch tells the story. He is not a number one, hell he is barely a number 4. The rest of the O's pitcher get into an interesting situation. When they pitch good, the team doesn't hit and when the team hits, they don't pitch good.

It's weird but I'm tired of hearing people blaming Mazzili for the problems. The guy is doing about what could be expected with a pitching staff of maybes and no chances.

Schilling is pitching tommorow when I go down to Boston tommorow. I will find scalped tickets for that game! Even if I have to KILL for them.

Who would you guys say is the worser team? The Expos or the Royals? I have to say the Royals, the Expos may have a slightly worse record, but at least have a few small bright sports. The Royals have nothing and I thought after watching the Royals season opener on the free preview of MLB Extra Innings. And I thought they had potential to be the next Florida Marlins or Anaheim Angels but no such luck for them. Yet again they're in the lower tier of the MLB.

Guest FrigidSoul

Stastically the Royals are the worst team in the majors. They're in both the lower tier for pitching and hitting. The Expos last I checked were 13th in the majors in pitching.

Who would you guys say is the worser team? The Expos or the Royals?

Worser? Good gawd. I know petty grammatical things should slide by here, but worser? C'mon.

Anyway, I think the Royals are the more pathetic team. The Expos have Johnson at first and a couple of decent pitchers, unlike the Royals, who've got the likes of Matt Stairs, Juan Gonzalez and Benito Santiago. I guess they were trying to get a senior circuit going in the AL Central.