TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anglesault

The Wave

Guest Anglesault

Figured I'd throw out a question that in all honesty, shouldn't lead to screaming and yelling and cursing, but in reality, will.

What does everyone think of The Wave? You know, the trend at sporting events (for the most part) where groups of people stand up and throw there arms in the air and yell and whatever?

Personally, I've always felt that if you get so bored at a sporting event that you feel the need to do that, you should just leave.

But I'm sure there are Wave supporters here to give their side of thes story.

Pros: watching the good looking girls in attendance stand up and show their wares every few seconds.

Cons: everything else.

/hates the wave, has since childhood

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I feel it's ok to participate in a wave, but starting one probably involves very calculated timing. You can't just start doing the wave on your own.

I think social dynamics like that are interesting. I have no problems with the wave.

Watching 104,000+ at Neyland Stadium do it is a sight. Almost starts to alarm you when it's coming back your way. Then the seond wave started and they managed to keep them from overlapping. That was good.

Wave = Good.

Guest Anglesault

Good, I have some supporters to ask an honest question to.

If you're bored, why not just leave?

Anytime I've been somewhere that did it, it wasn't a product of boredom. It was done between innings or during a time-out or whatever. Just a way to pass the time while the folks on ESPN tell the TV audience what game is next for them.

Guest Choken One

exactly, i have never seen a WAVE conducted during the actual game...usually during in between innings/halfs or whatnot.

I'm not a wave supporter but if I was and I was bored, I'm not going to waste over 40 bucks so I could leave.... and I don't think others would.

exactly, i have never seen a WAVE conducted during the actual game...usually during in between innings/halfs or whatnot.

Seen it? I've been in the middle of more than one. Very annoying when you're trying to watch the game.

Wavers should be strung up by their nipples.

People that mess up the wave or don't join in piss me off. There's always that specific group of people who are too lazy to get it done right. But when it's done right, it's beautiful. So yes I am a supporter of the Wave.

I HATE the wave. It is awful, and when it is done during actual play, it is 100x's worse.

That being said, during inning breaks, pitching changes, or that sort of stuff, it's harmless fun. I still refuse to participate though.

People that mess up the wave or don't join in piss me off. There's always that specific group of people who are too lazy to get it done right. But when it's done right, it's beautiful. So yes I am a supporter of the Wave.

I am the complete opposite of this viewpoint. I don't mind the wave. If people want to do it, go right ahead. But when you get the one or two drunk guys in every section who are the cheerleaders for it and won't shut up until you join in, that pisses me the hell off. Just because you are bored with the game or have the attention span of a 6 year old, doesn't mean I am the same way.

I don't mind participating in the wave once it is going, but being in the section trying to get the wave started is horrible because it will start with about 1-5 people doing it over and over, at least 10 times, before the group climbs to 10, then 20 and so on. It's just like I wish people would notice the wave starting and just be like, "alright time for the wave, lets do it and get it over with"

Guest Anglesault
People that mess up the wave or don't join in piss me off. There's always that specific group of people who are too lazy to get it done right.

It's not laziness.

Not all of us have $200 million hometown teams. :P

Never really cared about the wave -- I don't usually participate in it myself, but if fans want to get up every now and then more power to them. They paid their admission -- at least they're not running out onto the field...

Guest Anglesault
The Wave is harmless, you quickly stand up, wave your arms, sit back down. It takes no more than 5 seconds out of your life.

I'm not one to waste my five seconds.

I need my five seconds to have some kind of purpose.

I think the Wave thing has kind of died off the last couple years, at least in baseball. They used to have one or two at every Brewers game I'd go to...I don't think I've seen a real wave yet this year, and I've been to six games already.

I think the Wave thing has kind of died off the last couple years, at least in baseball. They used to have one or two at every Brewers game I'd go to...I don't think I've seen a real wave yet this year, and I've been to six games already.

Could that be because you're going to Brewers games?

Anyhow, I'm ok with the wave, as kids have lots of fun with it. As for myself, I'll participate only in between innings or during pitching changes.

I had the indignity of sitting through a wave that caught on as Oakland was batting in the top of the 6th inning during last night's As-Indians game.

I find it more than coincidental that the Indians immediately gave up seven runs.

The wave is cursed.

Guest Anglesault
I need my five seconds to have some kind of purpose.

Anglesault

Riiiiight.

But this is something I enjoy, so it serves a purpose for me.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I don't mind it but I never do it because my knees are in such bad shape I can't stand up and down over and over.

The Wave is pretty harmless. It's better than streakers or other idiots charging the field. And it gets more people involved than a beachball...

That said I don't participate. I'm just not much for standing up, waving my hands in the air and waiting for the wave to come around again.

I had the indignity of sitting through a wave that caught on as Oakland was batting in the top of the 6th inning during last night's As-Indians game.

I find it more than coincidental that the Indians immediately gave up seven runs.

The wave is cursed.

Were Indains relievers in the game at the time though, because under normal circumstances the wave may be cursed, but this years Indians bullpen defies logic.

Guest Anglesault

The wave is cursed.

The wave has been started before catastrophes here as well.

Hmmm.