TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

This (Half) Week in Baseball

Guest FrigidSoul
Ok, I'll take into account what else you have to say......

It's bullshit. Players don't make personnel decisions based on whatever mid-season trades teams made last season.

They don't? So players are going to be willing to sign on for contracts or stay with a team for less than what the market would have offered because they like it there after seeing a team trade somebody who was contributing positively and wanted to be there? That will turn on FAs

Its ok Al :comfort:

They don't? So players are going to be willing to sign on for contracts or stay with a team for less than what the market would have offered because they like it there after seeing a team trade somebody who was contributing positively and wanted to be there?

Yes. The Twins somehow kept Shannon Stewart after trading Matt Lawton midway through the 2001 season. Teams trade players all the time, and I have NEVER heard of a player refusing to sign with a team because that team traded a player midseason.

It also needs to be remembered that this is all based on idle speculation, of a trade rumor not involving any other team, or any other player. We get hundreds of trade rumors ever year, of which about 1% go through. Its utterly stupid to make assumptions of organizations based on trade rumors.

Guest FrigidSoul

Little different though. The Twins were playoff contenders and needed another starter due to injuries. They traded Matt Lawton for Rick Reed because they had alot of OF depth(still do). Montreal doesn't have pitching depth and is going to trade their workhorse after he signed an extension for minimal? Its not 100% he's available, but if we are going to discuss it then we'll disect the situation.

Also, Twins kept Shannon Stewart because teams were reluctant to give up a first round pick for him. Only teams interested in him seriously during the off-season were Minn and San Fran.

Montreal doesn't have pitching depth and is going to trade their workhorse after he signed an extension for minimal?

I wouldn't call that contract minimal. It runs for three years, at $21 million total. For a pitcher who's consistantly among the most overworked in baseball, its somewhat of a risk.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

Web Gem special on ESPN. Watch that shit bitches.

Web Gem special on ESPN. Watch that shit bitches.

No thanks. I'm watching pure baseball on ESPN2. After the shameful presentation that Fox displayed last night, its nice to see a game that's short on hype and long on the actual game.

Guest Anglesault
I cant believe ESPN has the D-Rays/Orioles game tomorrow.

How could they pass up that ratings bonanza?

Guest Anglesault

I thought I was just totally misreading your previous post.

I was trying to convince myself that i was wrong and "hoops" made sense.

There was a baseball game? I must have missed it between all the crap I was subjected to last night. Here's an idea for Fox. If you want kids to watch baseball, don't show them a talking baseball. Show them the actual game. Baseball is a terrific sport, if its left alone. There were so many stops, gaps, and breaks in the action last night that it got very tedious and boring. I was sick of the cross-promotion before the game even started.

There was a baseball game? I must have missed it between all the crap I was subjected to last night. Here's an idea for Fox. If you want kids to watch baseball, don't show them a talking baseball. Show them the actual game. Baseball is a terrific sport, if its left alone. There were so many stops, gaps, and breaks in the action last night that it got very tedious and boring. I was sick of the cross-promotion before the game even started.

It wouldnt have been as bad if the game were a bit closer from the start.

Guest FrigidSoul

I stopped watching after the 3rd inning. You could tell Fox was milking it for all the advertisment and endorsement time they could. For a game that supposedly mattered it didn't seem like one. Absolutely terrible.

MLB Extra Innings has a free preview on digital cable this weeked, starting tomorrow and running through Monday. Don't know if anyone else cares, but I'm excited.

Do you also have a problem with ESPN turning the HR Derby into a 3 hour fiasco with way, way, way too many commercials? That sure pissed me off.

Guest Anglesault
There was a baseball game? I must have missed it between all the crap I was subjected to last night. Here's an idea for Fox. If you want kids to watch baseball, don't show them a talking baseball. Show them the actual game. Baseball is a terrific sport, if its left alone.

I'd like to point out that I was the first to fight the good fight against Scooter.

Do you also have a problem with ESPN turning the HR Derby into a 3 hour fiasco with way, way, way too many commercials? That sure pissed me off.

The Derby itself started way too late into the program. All the pre-game nonsense was bothersome. And I hate people who win contests.

On another note, 2B Adam Morrissey is hitting .315 in AAA Sacramento, and OF Nick Swisher sports a .428 OBP. It'll be interesting to see if and when they show up in Oakland.

I never hear about Morrisey being in the A's future plans for whatever reason and I'd suspect he might be trade bait. Swisher on the other hand will be given a shot to win the right field job next year since the A's obviously won't pick up Dye's $14 million option.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!
There was a baseball game?  I must have missed it between all the crap I was subjected to last night.  Here's an idea for Fox.  If you want kids to watch baseball, don't show them a talking baseball.  Show them the actual game.  Baseball is a terrific sport, if its left alone.

I'd like to point out that I was the first to fight the good fight against Scooter.

oh shit they brought back Scooter?

Does he still look like Satan?

There was a baseball game?  I must have missed it between all the crap I was subjected to last night.  Here's an idea for Fox.  If you want kids to watch baseball, don't show them a talking baseball.  Show them the actual game.  Baseball is a terrific sport, if its left alone.

Hold on there. All you did was introduce the topic, and state you got flashbacks of Fox's glowing puck. I expressed vehiment hate, before the damn thing even made the air.....

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?...alking+baseball

WILL Al and FS' baseball debates finally pave the way for the steel cage death match we're all hoping for?

I demand blood

Guest Anglesault

Hold on there. All you did was introduce the topic, and state you got flashbacks of Fox's glowing puck. I expressed vehiment hate, before the damn thing even made the air.....

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?...alking+baseball

I made my feelings perfectly clear in the early posts.

I just didn't rant. I prefer not to rant when I don't feel that it's necessary.

So how IS Toolsy McClutch this year? I heard his numbers have been way way down.

His OPS is down by over 30% from last year.

Bud Selig would be foolish not to listen to offers for Hernandez.

Jayson Stark last week reported, the Twins are the likely destination for Kris Benson if he's traded.

And what is with doing fucking awards presentations during the game? I flipped in to get a score, saw Roger Clemens getting some sort of award thingie, and never flipped back in. Didn't get a score until this morning either.

Idiots. If I wanted to watch that shit, I'd watch the ESPYs. Which I won't.

Guest Choken One

The first half of that column was about The BoSox's players not conforming to the leauge's standards. Nomar starting to get Scott Levy syndrome here where he doesn't seem to care about anything these days.

And personally, I love Rameriez's Pants style. He looks better that way.

Guest FrigidSoul

Yes, but it was a source. That was the main point. If I just throw it on up here I get questioned so I placed a source to where it is along with giving people a good read.