TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Epic Reine

Benoit DVD Discussion Thread

Man, I got swerved twice in two days. Yesterday there was a knock on the door and a package left in the door, and I thought when I opened the door it would be my DVD... but it was a shirt someone else had ordered.

Then today, the same thing happens... for SURE it has to be my DVD. Nope, it's the "WrestleRadio USA" book ECW Press wanted me to review in a column.

I want my damn Benoit DVD! (However, skimming the book so far, it's pretty interesting).

I found it at Future Shop two days ago and then I tried to go back to buy it yesterday. It seems they've pulled it off the shelves and won't let me purchase it now because they put the DVD out too early (it should be out Aug. 10). So now I'm on the reserve list.

Assholes.

So where have the rest of you Canucks found it? Help is appreciated.

Guest TigerDriver91

I went to several stores without any luck, but someone told me Sunrise Records on Yonge St. in Toronto had the DVD and that's where I bought my copy. B-)

I went to several stores without any luck, but someone told me Sunrise Records on Yonge St. in Toronto had the DVD and that's where I bought my copy. B-)

Ditto. Sunrise is the place to go.

That Future Shop deal sounds like bullshit to me. They're notorious for holding onto DVD releases for longer then nescessary in order to make dumbass "reserve" lists so that when they finally do release the DVD you'll be first in line to buy it. Hence, why I don't buy DVD's from them anymore.

Guest SoZe

I am still trying to figure out why I can never buy Jericho merchandise at live WWE events. :angry:

Now THAT seems very strange. What the hell is up with that?? Does he have stuff available on ShopZone??

Guest TigerDriver91

I am still trying to figure out why I can never buy Jericho merchandise at live WWE events.  :angry:

Now THAT seems very strange. What the hell is up with that?? Does he have stuff available on ShopZone??

Yes. There is a bunch of Jericho stuff that's been available through ShopZone, but I have never seen any Jericho t-shirts on sale at WWE live events I have attended in Toronto.

Hell, I went to the SD taping not long ago, and you could get HHH & Evolution shirts but *nothing* for Kurt Angle. At least I was able to buy Eddie's cool Latino Heat shirt.

I don't have a credit card so it means I can't buy stuff from ShopZone

:angry:

Enjoyed the main feature, watched the beginning of matches to see how they messed with the music. A werid practice, but I'm used to it by now. I was planning to watch some of the disc 1 extra matches tonight at a friend's house, but plans have since changed to hang out with more non-fan friends, so that's out. I'll still bring it with me anyway (multiple TVs, the other two people don't totally hate wrestling and at one point were even casual fans, so it's not out of the question completey that it oculd be viewed tonight).

Thanks for the tip, I got mine today from Sunrise.

Just a spectacular main feature, and Benoit is someone all wrestling fans can look up to.

Well, except for the 6 feet tall ones. ;)

I didn't expect to get as emotionally involved as I did with the feature and I found myself fighting back tears when I saw Benoits eyes well up talking about how he owes everything to Stu. I couldn't fight them a second time when Benoit looked at the camera with tears in his eyes and said "I miss him. I miss Owen".  Ditto for when Malenko talks about what Benoit said to him after he came through the curtain at MSG.

Definately agreed man. There were so many parts of the main feature that made me feel, for the first time in a while, the passion that I have for wrestling again. Watching Benoit winning the IC title at Wrestlemania 16 seems just like yesterday and I was so damn happy that he was finally going somewhere in the company that mattered.

Just an amazing main feature, and the One Thing video at the end just caps it off. And that production music is so awesome in the first chapter of the DVD feature when Benoit is talking about Edmonton...I think it would of smoothed out a lot better if they had used it for when he was talking about Owen or Stu, though.

Thanks for the DVD Extras, by the way. The "I am Chris Benoit" promo is awesome.

I didn't expect to get as emotionally involved as I did with the feature and I found myself fighting back tears when I saw Benoits eyes well up talking about how he owes everything to Stu. I couldn't fight them a second time when Benoit looked at the camera with tears in his eyes and said "I miss him. I miss Owen". Ditto for when Malenko talks about what Benoit said to him after he came through the curtain at MSG.

Yes when Eddy and Dean were talking about WM XX and what Benoit's win meant, it was very emotional. I was busy cutting onions and getting pepper sprayed.........

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
I bought the Benoit DVD today, and I have seen a little bit of it already. I love it.

Thankfully, we still have the option of listening to the original Japanese commentary. The English alternative was annoying and dull in my opinion.

COME ON!

- Tazz hates Sasuke!

- When wrestlers are knocked out they "think they're at an airport drinking a Slurpee!"

- Sasuke works at Wal-Mart now!

- El Samurai is a member of the Power Rangers!

- All the other guys in the tourney were kneeling around the ring... except Dean, he was standing!

- Tazz hates the Mets MORE than Sasuke!

That commentary was RULE! On the Lyger match they sounded nervous, but they totally hit their stride with that last one.

Tony: I tell ya, you talk about--

Dusty: The'z a lady! The'z a lady in the men's bathroom! Looky there! There is a woman in the men's john right here in Baltimore! Can you believe that?

Tony: (laughs) Yes I can.

Dusty: She has STOPPED OFFFFF--to get some relief hea', baby.

Ah yes, thank God for Dusty Rhodes, that was hilarious.

Dusty: The'z a lady! The'z a lady in the men's bathroom! Looky there! There is a woman in the men's john right here in Baltimore! Can you believe that?

God I never get sick of that line. The way he yells it just randomly is just gold.

Got my copy at Wal-Mart the other day. Personally, I would have added some of his matches against Malenko, DDP, Jericho, Raven and the one against Lesnar, but this is an awesome line-up. Congrats to the WWE for this, I hope another Benoit DVD comes out in years to come.

Guest TigerDriver91

They could easily make a second volume for Benoit, especially if it focuses on his WWE career with his best matches and feuds.

Guest wildpegasus
They could easily make a second volume for Benoit, especially if it focuses on his WWE career with his best matches and feuds.

I think it was Benoit himself who selected the matches. He said he had a hard time narrowing them down on Byte This from a 3 page list (did that show do anything to hurt anyone else's computer?). By the way he talks in interviews he can't exactly pinpoint what match happened at what exact time so that's maybe why we got Benoit vs Guerrero at the J Cup (which is actually a good decision because it starts to show how grueling the tournament was) I think instead of the two 95 BOSJ matches or 96 BOSJ match that some people would like. I'm not complaining or anything; just pointing something out.

God I never get sick of that line. The way he yells it just randomly is just gold.

About a minute later . . .

Tony: Oh, he just hit him . . .

Dusty: HIT EM WIT DA TOILET PAPAH!!!

Guest Kid Kablam

Was anyone else pissed that they deleted Jesse Ventura's commentary for the Scorpio match? Also, why did they do that?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Was anyone else pissed that they deleted Jesse Ventura's commentary for the Scorpio match? Also, why did they do that?

Jesse wants royalties for his commentary.

I was afraid to see how Cole and Tazz would botch the Japanese match commentaries, but this is clearly the best work they have done together. It was like when they first got put together, with Tazz describing his personal experiences and how moves work, but they were really clicking and its even better. It shows just how bad the shill work they're forced to do on Smackdown holds them back. Cole is not the greatest announcer in the world, but he is much, much better on this than he is on Smackdown. I can even forgive them mispronouncing Sasuke because the crowd's chanting sounds like the way they say it.

And that right there is worth the $20 I paid for this DVD. Dusty was never the greatest commentator in the world (UNDERSTATEMENT), but that was the funniest thing I have ever heard.

Was anyone else pissed that they deleted Jesse Ventura's commentary for the Scorpio match?  Also, why did they do that?

Jesse wants royalties for his commentary.

The court settlement from a couple of years back allows the Ventura commentary to remain intact so long as it has previously been released by WWF/E on an earlier home video (he's already been paid for that, so there's no harm done in re-releasing it). All WCW commentary that he did is NOT included, so therefore it's eliminated.

It really sucks - it's somewhat distracting when watching some of the good stuff that WWE is releasing on DVD now.

IIRC, Ventura's commentary is cut from the Jack Foley debut match from WWF Superstars in '86 that's on Mick's "Hits and Misses" collection because it had never actually been released on home video before. But every bit of his commentary is present on the Hulk Still Rules DVD set because all of that had been released on WWF home video at one point or another.

It would really be cool if Vince would just ante up the money to pay Jesse, so that the commentary could stay. But alas, it'll probably never happen.

Question-

With all the overdubbing of Benoit's WWE theme in his matches, why the hell didn't they dub in Bret's signature theme?