TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

This Week in Baseball

Gather around y'all it's time for this week in Baseball.

A huge series in Comiskey. The Twins and White Sox do battle

Good pitching matchups Monday and Tuesday. Radke vs Buerhle, and Santana vs Garcia.

This starts a tough 13 game stretch for the Twins. White Sox, Red Sox, A's and Angels luckily 10 of the 13 are at home.

Guest FrigidSoul

Pedro against the Orioles tonight at Camden. I'm afraid to watch.

Saturday is also the first trade-deadline. Players can be traded up to that point freely, afterwards though they must pass through waivers unclaimed if they are to be traded.

Will Randy Johnson still be a Diamondback?

Who will get Kris Benson?

Will a blockbuster deal emerge from out of nowhere?

Will AngleSault go a whole week without finding something negative?

STAY TUNED!

For some reason, the Orioles have a tendency to hit Pedro pretty hard. I know we drubbed him badly at least once this season. Of course, the O's also used to own Randy Johnson, but that's because then-manager Davey Johnson would put 9 RH in his lineup.

I get the feeling the Astros are going to remain buyers. They're back at .500 with their win yesterday and with a four-game set against the worst team in baseball, this week, they've got a good shot to get back in the WC hunt. Can't forget that despite their horrible record since June, this is still a talented club; there's really no reason they shouldn't be able to make at least one run at it.

Guest FrigidSoul

For some reason, the Orioles have a tendency to hit Pedro pretty hard. I know we drubbed him badly at least once this season.

Tom my friend, that's an understatement. Pedro is 0-2 this season against Baltimore with an ERA over 8.00

The Red Sox as a team I believe are 2-10 against the Orioles this season. Baltimore has basically and single handidly put the Red Sox where they are in the standings.

Kent and or Beltran will be dealt by the Astros.

They aren't trading either guy. It's not gonna happen.

They shouldn't either trade them either. They have a break in the schedule and, like Bruiser said, have a shot at making a run. It isn't as if they're 10 back or something. Their biggest problem, which I think will kill them in the end, is that they are chasing too many teams.

Guest FrigidSoul

Something tells me that if they lose 3 or 4 games this week while the Wild Card front runners win their games then they will become sellers.

They can't justify renting Beltran for the rest of the season for absolutely nothing and they could get a couple good prospects from Oakland for Kent.

For some reason, the Orioles have a tendency to hit Pedro pretty hard. I know we drubbed him badly at least once this season.

Tom my friend, that's an understatement. Pedro is 0-2 this season against Baltimore with an ERA over 8.00

The Red Sox as a team I believe are 2-10 against the Orioles this season. Baltimore has basically and single handidly put the Red Sox where they are in the standings.

The Orioles are just 5-3 vs the Red Sox this year.

2-2 at Camden Yards

3-1 at Fenway (including 2 makeup games from rainouts back in April)

As for the Orioles vs Pedro Martinez, he has pretty good career numbers vs the Orioles, but over the last two years the Os have hit him pretty hard, but only at Fenway: (These were @ Fenway)

Last start vs Os - 6.2 IP 8 ER 9 H (L)

April 15th, 2004 - 5 IP 7 ER 8 H (ND)

April 12th, 2003 - 4.1 IP 10 ER 9 H (L)

But in the other 2 games at Camden he pitched much better:

April 4th, 2004 - 6 IP 2 ER 7 H (L)

April 5th, 2003 - 8 IP 1 ER 4 H (ND)

And for his career hes 5-2 at Camden Yards with a 1.23 ERA in 9 Starts including 2 complete games and a Shutout.

Fan-friendly Carlos Delgado just smacked a foul ball out of the glove of a fan's hand, obviously upset with him, as he thought he had a chance to catch it until the fan got in the way.

Guest FrigidSoul

David Wright with his first Major League homer and it comes off of Montreal pitcher John Patterson in the second inning.

Guest FrigidSoul

Andy Pettite has already given up 2 homers in the first. If Arizona sweeps Houston this week, then expect Astros fans to be placed on suicide watch.

Guest Anglesault
Mets getting blown out in Montreal, the slide is here. They will be 4 under and falling after tonight.

And the scary thing is that at 5 (or 6) games back, they're not totally out.

Skydome is creepy quiet.

If Arizona sweeps Houston this week, then expect Astros fans to be placed on suicide watch.

Nah, no suicide. They'll just jump off the bandwagon and start harping for the Texans even more than they already are. ;)

Guest FrigidSoul

Anybody notice the Mets have Todd Zeile pitching mop-up? He's given up 5 runs so far.

Again?

Pettitte leaves game with sore elbow

Associated Press

Astros starter Andy Pettitte's troublesome left elbow forced him to leave his outing tonight against the Arizona Diamondbacks after the fifth inning.

Pettitte has been on the disabled list twice this season with left arm injuries. He was on the DL April 7-29 with a left elbow strain and again from May 27 to June 28 with a left forearm strain.

The left-hander gave up two runs -- both on homers -- and three hits while striking out four.

Injuries have limited Pettitte to just 13 starts since signing with Houston in the offseason. Entering Monday, he was 6-3 with a 4.14 ERA.

Guest Anglesault
Mariano Rivera blows the save as the Blue Jays tie the game in the 9th.

Eh, there was no reason for Rivera to even be in this game. It had 8-1 written all over it. The Yankees offense disagreed.

And this Pettitte situation has gone from satisfying, to mildly funny, to kind of sad.

Guest Anglesault

By the way, it's nice to see that Jason Varitek felt good enough to play on Monday. Must have been one of those 24 hour hand related injuries.