TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nogoodnick

Most dissapointing games ever

I'll say MGS2. I loved the 1st one, and it was great fun to play around with the guards in this game, too bad you could barely do it, since the game was always rushing you around with a time limit..

Uh, what? There were three or four spots where you had to make it to a certain place on time, which was hardly difficult once you learnt the basics of the game. In between, you had unlimited time to fuck with the heads of the guards using a plethora of tatics.

I don't know what game you were playing, but it wasn't Metal Gear 2.

UYI

Uh, what? There were three or four spots where you had to make it to a certain place on time, which was hardly difficult once you learnt the basics of the game. In between, you had unlimited time to fuck with the heads of the guards using a plethora of tatics.

I don't know what game you were playing, but it wasn't Metal Gear 2.

Too bad he didn't mention the REAL disappointments of the game from what I've read: Cutscenes galore and having to play as that bitch named Raiden instead of Solid Snake (who for some reason was a bad guy later on in MGS2).

Raven Effect: Solid a bad guy?

...didn't finish it, or even come close, huh? Guess I can't blame ya. :P

"I don't know what game you were playing, but it wasn't Metal Gear 2. "

Since Metal Gear 2 is a really old MSX game, probably not. :P Plus, MG2 was bette than MGS2 anyway.* :)

*No idea if that is actually true...but just making a snobby, elitist 0|P 5|<00| comment for the hell of it.

Although I agree I was scratching my head hearing about timed missions, since those make up, what, one or two itty bitty parts in the game?

Killer Instinct home versions.

I loved the arcade game and for some reason assumed THAT would be the game I would be getting when I purchased it for the SNES. No awesome Cinder fire effects, reduced level graphics... same basic game, but all the neat effects I loved from the arcade version were gone. Then the game never came out in any form for the N64, just Killer Instinct Gold (which seems to me was just 2 with a fancy name). I would have much prefered a dual game cartridge. I guess an arcade perfect home version of KI was just not to be.

This is where you can all tell me KI sucks anyway...

Similarily, before I had my PS1, I once again overestimated the power of the SNES and assumed SFA 2 would be a good game. Wow, that may be the worst SF port I've ever played. Cartridge loading times, slow animation... just awful.

The Thing game which came out a couple of years ago sounded like it had real promise, but was far too deterministic. For instance the same people were the thing in every game, so once you knew it was coming, you could prepare to take out that person straight away. Plus the game cheated, because even if you did the blood test a few seconds before the transformation, and it was clear, the change happened anyway. A real dissapointment all round.

I've never played the game. I've just read about it, and I'm glad that I didn't buy it.

So Solid turns into a good guy later, then?

Venk: Yes, Killer Instinct sucks, but I agree with you on that. The arcade machine promised us a home port of KI. Never happened.

Funny thing is, Nintendo knew from the very beginning that they couldn't do it. The backgrounds are basically FMV, and the cartridge format would make that pretty much impossible without making the cart cost as much or more than a Neo Geo one.

Plus, by the time the N64 came out, KI wasn't exactly a new game. The KI game was supposed to be somewhat of an arcade tech demo for the "Ultra 64," but the delay wasn't too kind to the game. Maybe they could have made a double cartridge. Maybe they could have reworked the backgrounds to be 3D...

However, even by the time they got around to KI Gold, the sprites STILL looked like crap, so I don't think they could have done the arcade version justice. The N64 was always a pretty pitiful system unless you're going to make 3D games with rather simplistic polygons. The N64 wasn't even fit to port SF3 to, if Capcom had decided to give it a shot.

If they could have delivered a Killer Instinct near launch that lookedc anyway near the arcade title, I don't know if it would have done much good. At the very least, though, it would have helped, since the N64 really needed fighting games (and RPGs, and basically every other genre but platformers). However, I don't think there's a sane person alive who would take KI over Tekken.

...didn't finish it, or even come close, huh?  Guess I can't blame ya. :P

I've never played the game. I've just read about it, and I'm glad that I didn't buy it.

So Solid turns into a good guy later, then?

No, he never was a "bad guy." In the "Big Shell" mission the main baddy is a guy called Solidus Snake, who is apparently another Big Boss clone like Liquid and Solid, seemingly an older one than SS or LS. He claims to be Solid early in the game, and we don't see him for a while either, so for all Raiden knows he is Solid. However, the real Solid joins you as a NPC and drops hints (and is playable in Substance).

Solidus also has Doc Ock-ish robot tentacles he fights with.

Can't find a screenshot that works, so here's a look at the action figure:

http://www.spawntoys.com/Metalgear/mgs2_solidus_snake.jpg

Guest Kageho

Thousand Arms was also so bad taht it was great. Combine a dating sim with a crafting system for an RPG, and you get a really messed up game.

Doesn't make up for the fact that it was a bad game.

Well, keep in mind I played MGS2 when it first came out, and never since. So perhaps my least favourite parts are the ones that stand out most in my mind.

I figured people had already mentioned that Raiden was a lousy replacement for the mullet-y grizzled goodness of Snake.

Did I mentioned that MGS2 had horrible, horrible bosses next to the often pretty brilliant bosses of MGS?

I would say that I also remember that after the tanker, the good places to screw with the guards were often few and far between. Tons of corridors and the like.

It's like they spent more time on easter eggs than on the game as a whole.

No, he never was a "bad guy." In the "Big Shell" mission the main baddy is a guy called Solidus Snake, who is apparently another Big Boss clone like Liquid and Solid, seemingly an older one than SS or LS. He claims to be Solid early in the game, and we don't see him for a while either, so for all Raiden knows he is Solid. However, the real Solid joins you as a NPC and drops hints (and is playable in Substance).

Oh. I already read about Solidus being one of the bosses in MGS2, but thanks for clearing that up anyway.

Everyone that knows me knows that I think Xenogears has the best storyline of any rpg, ever. With FFT a very close second.

The love story in FF8 however, was a huge let down for me. I never got any vibes from Squall as to why he would be head over heels for Rinoa. It's probably the only game in the FF series that shouldn't be considered part of the series.

"I don't know what game you were playing, but it wasn't Metal Gear 2. "

Since Metal Gear 2 is a really old MSX game, probably not. :P Plus, MG2 was bette than MGS2 anyway.* :)

*No idea if that is actually true...but just making a snobby, elitist 0|P 5|<00| comment for the hell of it.

Although I agree I was scratching my head hearing about timed missions, since those make up, what, one or two itty bitty parts in the game?

Much love, Andrew.

Fatman is a BRILLIANT 'first-level' (for want of a better term) boss. Such a unique character. It is a shame he was taken out of action so fast, never to return. However, the tendency for most Metal Gear bosses to just NOT DIE (such as Vamp, who is seen in the end sequence after being 'killed' several times)

Solidus and the Metal Gears are admirable final bosses, as well. I'm also a huge Spidey fan, so I loved the design of Soldius, even if it was entirely based on another character.

UYI

The Solidus fight is really good. Both gameplay wise and cinematically.

I would take KI over Tekken 1. So would millions of others. Tekken 1 is kind of weaksauce. Tekken 2 vs. KI is a tough one.

Killer Instinct is awesome. It's always depressing to hear of people who's only experience with KI is the SNES port. It's like, they don't know what they're missing. KI 2 is better than the first though and KI Gold is just nasty.

Much love, Andrew.

Fatman is a BRILLIANT 'first-level' (for want of a better term) boss. Such a unique character. It is a shame he was taken out of action so fast, never to return. However, the tendency for most Metal Gear bosses to just NOT DIE (such as Vamp, who is seen in the end sequence after being 'killed' several times)

While I found the actual fight tedious (not hard, just tedious), at least Fatman represented an attempt by the team to take themselves too seriously. Although I think the first boss should have been way earlier.

Solidus and the Metal Gears are admirable final bosses, as well. I'm also a huge Spidey fan, so I loved the design of Soldius, even if it was entirely based on another character.

UYI

Considering the tentacles don't look all that much like Ock's,don't actually come out of his back, and the game did come out in Japan, maybe they didn't actually set out to rip off Ock.

The Solidus fight is really good. Both gameplay wise and cinematically.

Pity about the ending that follows.

I would take KI over Tekken 1. So would millions of others.  Tekken 1 is kind of weaksauce. Tekken 2 vs. KI is a tough one.

You're a funny lady, Anya. :lol:

I really hated who the "Patriots" turned out to be.

I'd think, if anything, they'd go with the much more likely secret society conspiracy theory. Come on, it's much more believable to imagine Kerry and Bush laughing it up in some secret hideaway over some goblets of goats' blood.

Olga is the first boss......

What's funny about KI being better than Tekken 1? Please explain.

Speaking of games that will -not- suck, I can't wait for MGS 3, and there will clearly be a MGS 4, judging from the ending of MGS 2.

Trailer

Just click the E3 menu, and pick one of the trailers. I want this game.

I'd think, if anything, they'd go with the much more likely secret society conspiracy theory. Come on, it's much more believable to imagine Kerry and Bush laughing it up in some secret hideaway over some goblets of goats' blood.

I know. They should have stuck to the tired cliche of a secret group of puppet masters instead of what they presented. I did laugh at name of the censorship AI, though. GW indeed.....

Games I found disappointing include:

FF8

- The story was terrible. From the love story, to the SWERvE~! of everyone coming from the same orphanage, the junctioning/drawing magic system, and the terrible final boss, the game just sucked on all cylinders.

FF9

- I don't know why, but the whole story and gameplay were just simply boring. The only good thing was having moogles act as save points.

Sonic Adventure 2

- I don't know how, but the collision detection in SA2 was worse than SA1. Add to that the fact you have to play as a character you might not want to play as, and several freakishly hard stages that require you to take a leap of faith with the collision detection...I just didn't like it very much.

Games I found disappointing include:

FF8

- The story was terrible. From the love story, to the SWERvE~! of everyone coming from the same orphanage, the junctioning/drawing magic system, and the terrible final boss, the game just sucked on all cylinders.

Square stole a plot point from Santa with Muscles!

Sonic Adventure 2

- I don't know how, but the collision detection in SA2 was worse than SA1. Add to that the fact you have to play as a character you might not want to play as, and several freakishly hard stages that require you to take a leap of faith with the collision detection...I just didn't like it very much.

After going back and playing SA1, no, I think SA2 had better collision, at least on Dreamcast.

However, once again they forgot the title was "Sonic Adventure" and not "Sonic and Friends Adventure." However, unlike SA1, which had a variety of gameplay styles with only one I hated (fishing with Big), SA2 had only 3 gameplay styles, and I found the mechs to be far less fun than Gamma was in SA1. Plus, I may be the only one, but I liked the Mario 64-ish main world.

I know. They should have stuck to the tired cliche of a secret group of puppet masters instead of what they presented. I did laugh at name of the censorship AI, though. GW indeed.....

Heh, I don't know if you're sarcastically disagreeing or not, there. However, I was merely pointing out how that wouldn't be *as* laughable. Hell, that's the way Japan is actually run, anyway. :)

Although, if it were a Xenosaga game they would all be named after Biblical and Jewish figures. Like the Magi or something. Wait a minute...that sounds familiar...

Obviously, I was referring to the Plant stage when talking about Fatman being the first boss you face.

UYI

Ditto. It's way too far into Raiden's game before the Fatman fight. Plus Olga's a joke of a boss anyway, since it's just a teaser demo to fuel the propaganda machine.

What's funny about KI being better than Tekken 1? Please explain.

"Millions?" :lol:

Yeah? Where's the funny? Are you forgetting or ignoring how successful KI was? It's one of the best selling SNES games of all time and was the biggest arcade game in 94. At the time KI rivaled Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

And then quickly faded to the obscurity in which it rightfully belongs.

Too bad it took a while longer for MK to join it as well.

MK rose from the ashes with Deadly Alliance, however. Plus the length of the thread for the new MK game doesn't exactly scream "obscurity" even if you take out all the nostalgia-based posts that cover everything MK.

Guest Askewniverse
Obviously, I was referring to the Plant stage when talking about Fatman being the first boss you face.

UYI

Ditto. It's way too far into Raiden's game before the Fatman fight. Plus Olga's a joke of a boss anyway, since it's just a teaser demo to fuel the propaganda machine.

Speaking of "joke" bosses, what about Fortune? Didn't you have to fight her before fighting Fatman?

And then quickly faded to the obscurity in which it rightfully belongs.

MK rose from the ashes with Deadly Alliance, however. Plus the length of the thread for the new MK game doesn't exactly scream "obscurity" even if you take out all the nostalgia-based posts that cover everything MK.

You can thank yours truly and Anya for that.

And you *did* have to face Fortune before Fatman, which I totally forgot about. While she certainly isn't much of a boss (since you can only try to survive instead of kill her), I suppose she is the first real boss-type individual you face on the Plant stage.

I never liked her, actually. How on earth wouldn't she know that a mechanical box was strapped to her belt that prevented bullets from hitting her? However, with some of the plot twists in MGS2, that small stretch of reality seems insignificant.

I should also stop spoiling the game for everyone.

UYI

:lol:

It's always funny to see bitter MK haters refuse to accept the fact that MK is still, 10 years later, one of the biggest franchises in gaming.

MKDA = two million sold. It's the best selling fighting game of this generaton~! GO MK! GO ED! YOU ARE A WINNER!