TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nogoodnick

Most dissapointing games ever

Capcom vs. SNK is a massive disappointment. What SHOULD have been one the most monumental releases in 2D fighter history turned out to be just another Capcom fighter with Alpha sprites. *Yawn*.

Guest cellardoor

Wow. Some of the aforementioned games astonish me.

I was very pleased with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3. I had never played the first 2 because my brother convinced me that I would suck, but I was watching two of my guy friends play it one day and decided to give it a shot. I fell in love instantly. Granted, I really fucking sucked in the beginning, but now I can pretty much beat anyone who takes me on. BEATEN BY A GIRL. Such an ego booster. ;) I was actually kinda disappointed by THPS4. I just didn't think it was as fun as 3.

And FFIII? Wow. Just wow, kid. I can't believe someone added FFIII to the list. I think it has one of the best storylines out of the FF series. It's definitely not my favorite, but I'd never add it to my list of disappointments.

As for FFX, I can see why some people might be disappointed by this game. I, on the other hand, absolutely loved it. Probably because I'm a girl, and I (naturally) enjoy all that sappy shit. I tried to span it out over a long period of time, but only lasted a week. I couldn't get enough.

For me, FFVIII was a huge disappointment. I probably would've liked the storyline, but I couldn't get over how much I hated the battle system. It was a huge turn off. I didn't even bother playing past the Cave Trial or whatever. Big bummer.

I was also kinda disappointed by Super Monkey Ball 2. I know, I know. What can you really expect from a sequel like that? I dunno, but it was a let down. I was so stoked for its release because I LOVED the first one, but I just couldn't get into the second one as much.

I'm having a hard time coming up with games that have disappointed me. Oh well. I guess that's a good thing. I'm not as much of a gamer these days because my attention span is wearing thin. :(

FFX's story is soooo good. Best love story in games second only to VIII.

Guest Olympic Slam

Roller Coaster Tycoon II. Should have been called RCT 1.5 as it wasn't even a sequel; just a glorified expansion pack. I still broke down and bought it, but I've touched it like once in the past year.

Wrestlemania X8 was supposed to take over the world and make us all forget about No Mercy. Instead it only added to the love of No Mercy. Oh, and Wrestlemania X9 might be even worse simply because they had a year to make it even better and it STILL sucked.

As for FFX, I can see why some people might be disappointed by this game. I, on the other hand, absolutely loved it. Probably because I'm a girl, and I (naturally) enjoy all that sappy shit. I tried to span it out over a long period of time, but only lasted a week. I couldn't get enough.

Bah...women. I'll still make fun of anyone owning a pair of testicles that admits to liking those games anymore. :P At least you have an excuse...

FFX's story is soooo good. Best love story in games second only to VIII.

So, what exactly are all the competition that it beats out? Dating sims and hentai games? I'm curious, throw me a bone here. Although at least it sounds more plausible than most of your "Final Fantasy....best" assertions. :P

Capcom vs. SNK is a massive disappointment. What SHOULD have been one the most monumental releases in 2D fighter history turned out to be just another Capcom fighter with Alpha sprites. *Yawn*.

I more or less agree, but if we could only get Match of the Millenium's gameplay (with a touch of CvS2's), the backgrounds of Cv.S with the quality of the remixed music tracks found in the home versions of CvS...that'd be awesome. Capcom can choke on their polygonal backgrounds. They look like ass.

Wrestlemania X8 was supposed to take over the world and make us all forget about No Mercy. Instead it only added to the love of No Mercy. Oh, and Wrestlemania X9 might be even worse simply because they had a year to make it even better and it STILL sucked.

Bah. VPW2 > No Mercy. :)

And yeah, there still is yet to be a 3D wrestling game to really top the cream of the crop that Aki brought us (NM/VPW2), except for possibly that Fire Pro that I don't know anything about. Certainly none that have come Stateside.

Yukes: We've increased the poly count 25%! The gameplay IS GETTING WORSE, THOUGH!

And X9 also contained WWE Betrayal 2 aka Revenge mode, as a free crappy bonus at the exchange of a decent career mode!

WWF Attitude.

I wasn't overly thrilled with War Zone the year before, but everything I heard led me to be extremely excited for Attitude. The fact that it got pushed back two or three times just heightened the expectations. Then, I finally got and... :throwup:

I had this reply written out 3 times but my PC keeps locking up so Ill keep it short.

Tidus/Yuna is the best ever and Square's teen angst love stories should be in every game ever made, including games in genres like puzzle and fighters.

Capcom's 3D stages suck bad and everything they've done since MSH has been weaksauce.

PS - Goro's music in MK1 for SNES is cool.

I'll go with WWF Attitude, as far as wrestling games go. WWF War Zone could be forgiven a little, but there was just no excuse for Attitude. Or for that matter, any of Acclaim's wrestling games after that. Hell, cross "wrestling" from that sentence, since Acclaim sucks the meat missle altogether. Aside from the novelty of legends, I don't know why people pinned their hopes on the LoW series.

I don't get why WM X-8 was a disappointment, simply because I didn't think there was that much expectation to begin with. Just because it was on the Gamecube didn't mean it was going to be the successor to the N64's No Mercy. WM 19, on the other hand, could be counted. Gameplay was improved a bit, but that idiotic Revenge Mode broke it.

As far as biggest disappointment ever, I'll go with Piss' mention of Daikatana.

The Knight Rider game was hugely disappointing to me, especially being a huge fan of the TV show.

KITT had only four special functions... Turbo Boost, Ski Mode, Scan Mode, and Super Pursuit. Worse still, KITT had crap handling and the missions were stupid. All driving based, no infiltration with Michael.

Absolute shit.

You can also throw Monkey Island 3 & 4 in this list as well. Without Ron Gilbert the series is nothing.

You can also throw Monkey Island 3 & 4 in this list as well. Without Ron Gilbert the series is nothing.

What was wrong with Monkey Island 3?

Tidus/Yuna is the best ever and Square's teen angst love stories should be in every game ever made, including games in genres like puzzle and fighters.

Yeah, really persuasive there. And no, that'd munch.

Capcom's 3D stages suck bad and everything they've done since MSH has been weaksauce.

Marvel Super Heroes has 3D backgrounds?

Anyway, the backgrounds are even more sad when you consider they looked waaaay better in SNK's DC port of KoF'98 (Dream Match 99). Sure, they looked less than perfect but at least they looked like the characters belonged there.

Any movie license game.

I think if you bank on any of them being good, you deserve what you get. ;)

I don't get why WM X-8 was a disappointment, simply because I didn't think there was that much expectation to begin with. Just because it was on the Gamecube didn't mean it was going to be the successor to the N64's No Mercy.

Some former AKI team members worked on it, hence the high expectations.

I'd like to throw in Lament of Innocence. It's very odd Capcom out-Castlevania'ed Konami with DMC(1).

Guest Staravenger

Every single Simpsons game ever created for NES/GB/SNES/GBC/Geneis/PSone and the Taxi one on the current systems. The most being Simpsons Wrestling. God Damn that was a horrible horrible horrible game.

The only Simpsons games I've enjoyed are...

1. The Arcade Game from way back in the day. DUH!

2. The Treehouse of Horrors on GBC is OK, but still really weak.

3. Hit & Run, but barely. Barely because it's a rip off of GTA, which is a plus I guess.

Mortal Kombat 3 - After the brillance of Part 2.....Part 3 was merely decent.

Any Wrestling game since WCW/NWO Revenge......none have lived up the gameplay of that one.......

The Bouncer - it was fun but too damn short.

Guest Staravenger
Any Wrestling game since WCW/NWO Revenge......none have lived up the gameplay of that one.......

The only wrestling games I think that were dissapointing were the following...

War Zone (I Hate the controls)

Attitude (see WZ)

Smackdown: Just Bring It! (Awful)

RAW (crap, with the same basic matches as Super Wrestlemania)

Wrestlemania X-8 (horrible sound, and very poor gameplay)

Those off the top of my head were pretty bad, and I enjoy pretty much any wrestling game except WCW Backstage Assault.

Chalk that up as one.

Xenogears is the best RPG love story.

Agreed.

Anyways, Street Fighter 3. We waited for years after endless re-releases of the second game, and the final product was pretty blah. Certainly not the revolutionary fighting game it was hyped to be.

For me personally, Legend of Mana (PS1) ranks way up there. I loved the Secret of Mana series, but this was just terrible. I'm glad I just rented it instead of buying it.

Mortal Kombat 3 is a lot better than MK II.

MSH doesn't have 3D stages but it's the last REALLY good Capcom 2D fighter. Everything after has been halfassed.

Guest MikeSC

Does anything touch Driver 3 or disappointment?

Oh, and Xenosaga and MGS tend to be unmitigated crap.

-=Mike

Guest Dumb Fuck

I'm also female, and I just hated it.

Why does Yuna even like Tidus? He's nothing but a clueless, whiny bitch in the start.. and the whole thing of keeping him along because he reminds him of his dad is weak. Then his screaming of "You won't die, Yuna" x100000, like nobody else even considered that possibililty... I guess that is supposed to make him the knight in shining armor, or something.

Plus, Yuna is incredibly bland.

Clearly the best love story in a video game ever is: Golgo 13

I'll say MGS2. I loved the 1st one, and it was great fun to play around with the guards in this game, too bad you could barely do it, since the game was always rushing you around with a time limit.

FF8, I loathed, and Square was coming off of: FFVI/3, Chrono Trigger, FFVII, and FFT, all tremendous games in my opinion. Square just started churning out crap games. The only games they've put out in a while I dug were FFX (X-2 was pretty bad) and Kindom Hearts, which has some gameplay issues, but was still overall pretty darn good. Speaking of Square, if I had thought Chrono Cross could have come close to Chrono Trigger, I would have been massively dissapointed. But I didn't have that high of expectations.

Street Fighter 3 was pretty whack, too.

MSH doesn't have 3D stages but it's the last REALLY good Capcom 2D fighter. Everything after has been halfassed.

:lol:

My thoughts exactly, but I thought the entire post spoke for itself. :P

I'm also female, and I just hated it.

THERE IS ONE! Thank you, DF. :)

Also, even though I am one of the few who like it--Streets of Rage 3. Completely unnecessary changes were made from the Japanese version, the animation and music took a major hit from the fantastic SoR2, level design isn't nearly as cool, and I missed Max (probably the only one). :P

I don't get this one...because almost every wrestling game on the N64 had the same gameplay...About the only one that seemed any different from the others was No Mercy..and even that was basically the same, but graphically better.

You losers. :P

Legend of Dragoon is TOPS.

Game was in development for FOUR YEARS. So it should be like a great RPG.

Turned into one of the greatest flops ever.

I will remember that game for one reason and one reason only

"He cut my head off! Did you see that? He cut my head off!"

So what has come after MSH that has been a classic? Everything that's come afterwards has either been an upgrade, needed upgrades to get great or been something weak like Jojo. When was the last time Capcom released a project that was just perfect the way it was?

Wario Land 4 sucked, compared to the brilliant WL3.

Eh, I liked Wario Land 4, although it wasn't nearly as good as 2. 3 was confusing and stripped you of all the Wario II skills, making you earn basic skills. Plus, how do you know if you need to play a stage during the day or night?

Maybe I just didn't "get" 3, though.

So what has come after MSH that has been a classic?

Marvel Super Heroes is a classic?

Vampire Savior, 3rd Strike, Alpha 2 are classics to me.

Also, Marvel Super Heroes is a sequel to X-Men CotA, so don't act like it was a completely original game. Hell, even the "new" characters were similar to the old X-Men fighters.

Yeah, actually that should be X-Men COTA was the last capcom game that wasnt all halfassed.

Vampire Savior and 3rd Strike - Wow it only took TWO upgrades to get to a great game!

Alpha 2 is what Alpha 1 should have been.

I like those games too, I even like their earlier incarnations, but it's sad it takes a bunch of upgrades to get them to the point where they're finished. Like CvsS1 was basically a commercial for 2.

My biggest disappointment was Dragonball Z Budokai. The controls were muddy enough as it was, but that was just in practice mode. When you got to actually fighting an opponent, doing a special move of any sort was next to impossible. After waiting years upon years after the show debuted on Cartoon Network, for a game, this was my biggest disappointment ever.