TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Precious Roy

Tim Brown Released

NAPA, Calif. -- Tim Brown is leaving the Oakland Raiders after 16 prolific seasons.

Tim Brown

Wide Receiver

Oakland Raiders 

2003 SEASON STATISTICS

Rec  Yds  TD  Avg  Long  YAC

52  567  2  10.9  36  198

Unwilling to accept the prospect of reduced playing time, the 38-year-old receiver accepted owner Al Davis' decision to part ways with the last former member of the Los Angeles Raiders. Davis announced his intentions in a news conference with Brown on Wednesday at the Raiders' training camp headquarters.

Oakland plans to release Brown on Thursday. The self-proclaimed "Mr. Raider" holds most of the club's receiving records, and his 240 games in Silver and Black are the most in franchise history. He has caught at least one pass in 173 consecutive games -- the second-longest streak in NFL history behind Jerry Rice's 273.

"I didn't want to be a distraction," Brown said. "I think those guys have great respect for me, and I think you lose some of that if you accept a role where you're not playing. ... When you've played at the level I've played at, it's tough to be on the sidelines waving a towel."

Brown ranks second in NFL history with 14,734 yards receiving and third with 1,070 catches. His 99 touchdown receptions are tied with Don Hutson for fourth, and his 14,734 all-purpose yards are fifth.

"It's emotionally difficult. It's a part of your life," Davis said. "Other than your family, this is your family. We've had many great players, but there are certain players you fall for. It's tough to lose him."

“  This won't be the end of Tim Brown. I'll surface somewhere else, probably. ”

— Tim Brown

Brown won the Heisman Trophy at Notre Dame before the Raiders drafted him in 1988. He soon established himself as an elite receiver, appearing in nine Pro Bowls and going nine straight seasons with at least 1,000 yards receiving from 1993-2001.

Brown had 52 catches for 567 yards and two touchdowns last season, but his streak of 175 starts ended in December.

He fell out of favor with former coach Bill Callahan, and also didn't fit into the plans of new coach Norv Turner. Jerry Porter and the 41-year-old Rice will be the Raiders' top receivers this season, and Turner expects big things from Ronald Curry and Alvis Whitted.

"Coming into training camp, you always think you've got a little bit left in the tank," Brown said.

Though Brown's quiet style sometimes seemed at odds with the Raiders' brash image, he was one of the team's most popular players even during the franchise's dismal seasons after returning to Oakland.

Brown also was a key member of the Raiders' AFC championship team in 2002, when he finally reached the Super Bowl for the first time in his career. Oakland lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Brown knew he would have a reduced role this season, though he still entered training camp planning to be the Raiders' third receiver. But Turner and his staff intend to give their younger receivers the chance to play complementary roles to Rice and Porter -- and Brown didn't want to be a part-time player.

"I certainly think the Raiders are going to be a very good football team this year," Brown said. "That's another reason why it's so disappointing.

"This won't be the end of Tim Brown. I'll surface somewhere else, probably."

Brown plans to spend a few days with his family in the Bay Area before flying home to Dallas and pondering the next stage of his career. He would love to play for his hometown Cowboys, but concedes it's unlikely.

It's difficult to tell how many teams will be interested in a veteran whose play has slipped from its peak. If he can't find a new team, Brown plans to retire with the Raiders -- perhaps as soon as this month -- and seek a job in broadcasting or player personnel.

"Our relationship will continue," Davis said. "It always does."

I'd like to see the Patriots take a flyer on him, he'd be a good fit in their multi dimensional attack. Brady is probably the best QB at spreading the wealth and using all his options and Brown would be a good situational recieiver in that scheme.

He would love to play for his hometown Cowboys, but concedes it's unlikely

Brown would make a decent 3rd receiver. And would fit in well with the other recent older free agents of Vinny and Eddie. The Cowboys is the new retirement home for skillful players.....can you imagine the 2 minute drill featuring Vinny handing off the ball to Eddie or the long pass to Tim for the TD?

I'd love to see him in a RAVENS~! uniform. We have some young receivers who could learn a lot from an old reliable pro like Tim Brown. And we could do a lot worse than lining Brown up in the slot as the third receiver. He can still run the routes and catch the ball, which might make him the best receiver on the team.

You were one of the few bright spots for me on the field to watch during the 90's Tim. TB was always cool whenever I had the pleasure of talking with him after games and it will be odd not seeing him play with the Raiders.

On that note, I hope you retire or are forced into it by the end of this summer. Seeing TB play with someone else would be the equivalent of seeing Emmit Smith with the Cardinals (funny too how their situations mirror one another as well).

"Just win baby!"

I wanna see Tim Brown go to a team where he can win a ring before he retires.

He deverses it. Problay the 2nd best WR to not win a ring(1st going to Cris Carter).

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Who are we kidding here, folks? Tim Brown was a 3rd string receiver on an abysmal offensive team. He isn't fast, and dropped many easy passes. If the Raiders were passing on him, OBVIOUSLY, he just can't compete. I'm sure they were going to do everything to keep him, but he just doesn't have anything left in the tank.

This one isn't as hard as Rod Woodson's releasing for me to swallow, as Woodson has remained a dominant player at his position. TB hadn't. He should just retire instead of lowering himself to a 3rd, or most likely, 4th string receiving position.

ESPN is reporting Ricky WIlliams could be interested in the Raiders if he ever decides to come back

Don't be so quick to close the book on Ricky Williams' career ... maybe.

Williams, whose world retirement tour stopped in Oakland last weekend to visit twin sister Cassie, told SI.com that he likes Oakland so much he'd consider resuming his career there -- maybe as soon as 2005.

Williams told SI.com "the only way I would" consider a comeback is with the Raiders. "I love Cali," the San Diego native said.

Williams cited the Raiders' strong offensive line as a reason he likes the Raiders, according to SI.com. Also in Oakland is head coach Norv Turner, his former offensive coordinator with the Dolphins.

He also told the Web site his quirky personality would be welcomed by Raider Nation -- "crazy fans who would expect a weirdo," he said.

Of course there are obstacles if Williams does try to play for the Raiders next season -- starting in Miami. Williams' rights belong to the Dolphins for the next two seasons.

Williams officially filed retirement papers with the NFL Management Council, meaning he can't play this season if he decides to return to football.

Williams' use of marijuana played a role in his stunning retirement.

Williams told Dan Le Batard, a reporter for the Miami Herald and for ESPN The Magazine, that he learned he failed a third drug test and faced a suspension just days before making his decision to retire.

The star running back said the developments played a part in his sudden retirement, but that it wasn't the only issue involved in his decision. Williams insisted there were "a hundred reasons" for leaving the NFL.

"I didn't quit football because I failed a drug test," he said. "I failed a drug test because I was ready to quit football." Williams also told Le Batard that he had wanted to quit playing football even before testing positive a second time for marijuana use in May and getting fined $650,000.

Under league rules, if a player in its substance-abuse program files retirement papers, he cannot unretire for a year without penalty. If he unretires in less than a year, it's counted as a positive drug test in the NFL program -- which, in Williams' case, would be his fourth positive test and would result in an indefinite suspension.

If Williams unretires after a year, he still would be facing a four-game suspension. A third positive test brings with it a mandatory four-game suspension.

The former Heisman Trophy winner played three seasons for New Orleans and considered retirement while with the Saints, coach Jim Haslett said.

"In 2001, Ricky came in my office and told me he was going to retire and play baseball," Haslett said. "I don't know if we talked him out of it. We told him he wasn't a very good baseball player -- maybe that did it."

Williams didn't blossom until he was dealt to the Dolphins in 2002 for two first-round draft picks.

At times, Miami's biggest trade since 1970 looked like a steal. Williams led the NFL in 2002 with 1,853 yards rushing and broke nine team records. Last season he ran for 1,372 yards despite little offensive support.

Who are we kidding here, folks? Tim Brown was a 3rd string receiver on an abysmal offensive team.  He isn't fast, and dropped many easy passes.  If the Raiders were passing on him, OBVIOUSLY, he just can't compete.  I'm sure they were going to do everything to keep him, but he just doesn't have anything left in the tank.

This one isn't as hard as Rod Woodson's releasing for me to swallow, as Woodson has remained a dominant player at his position.  TB hadn't.  He should just retire instead of lowering himself to a 3rd, or most likely, 4th string receiving position.

That pretty much sums it up.

I think bringing him into Baltimore to act as a tutor is a tremendous idea, but Tim Brown still feels he's a viable NFL receiver and, the fact is, he wasn't even mediocre last year. Thanks for the memories, Tim, but please hang 'em up before an injury forces a sour end to an underrated NFL career.

Williams, whose world retirement tour stopped in Oakland last weekend to visit twin sister Cassie, told SI.com that he likes Oakland so much he'd consider resuming his career there -- maybe as soon as 2005.

Oh, that's some disgusting bullshit. If Williams is even talking with Oakland representatives at any point through this season, I hope that he's suspended indefinitely and that the Raiders get hammered with some heavy fines.

There must be more going on within the Dolphins hierarchy than meets the eye. Maybe Ricky just wanted to bail on them. As a Raiders fan, I'd love to have Ricky come in. But realistically, taking a year off will definately take away from him being considered a top back.

Not to continue the threadjacking, but Ricky can't just take a year off and then decide to become a Raider. The Dolphins will still own his rights (for the next 2 years, I think) and will be unlikely just to let him walk away without asking for proper compensation, most likely at least one #1 draft pick, most likely two to compensate for the 2 that they gave up to get him.

It'd be smarter for the Raiders to live life without him and keep the picks. But 'smart' and 'the Raiders' don't always go hand-in-hand.

Guest El Satanico

Why are some of you reading too much into the Ricky article? All he said was that he'd consider returning at some point if it was with the Raiders.

I don't think we're reading too much into the article at all - look at the bold text below:

he'd consider resuming his career there -- maybe as soon as 2005.

ACTUALLY, there have been slight rumblings that as soon as possiblw the Raiders will deal their 1st round pick (maybe for 2005) for Williams. AND, after Ricky pays a hefty fine, he could suit up THIS YEAR.

Will it happen? Doubtfull, but it can.