TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anakin Flair

Ralph Fiennes cast in Harry Potter 4

Role Of Lord Voldemort Has Been Cast

Posted By Ashish on 08.05.04

He will be played by Ralph Fiennes...

It's been announced that Ralph Fiennes of Maid In Manhattan and Red Dragon will play Lord Voldemort in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Voldemort has appeared in the previous films as a spirit. This will be the first time Voldemort is shown in the flesh. The film is being directed by Mike Newell right now in England, and is slated for a November 2005 release.

Also, Miranda Richardson has been cast as Rita Skeeter, a gossipy journalist.

Credit: Cinecon.com

I loved Fiennes in Red Dragon.. I can't wait to see him play Voldemort. Even if it will only be for 5 minutes or so. As for Richardson, if it's the same girl that was in the last Bond movie, I would have pictured Skeeter as someone a bit older.

Walken would've been a better choice

That would've been nice, but it never would've happened since Rowlings is insistent on British actors

Guest Contentious C
As for Richardson, if it's the same girl that was in the last Bond movie

You're thinking of Rosamund Pike, whose character's name was Miranda Frost.

That would've been nice, but it never would've happened since Rowlings is insistent on British actors

Unfortunately, Rickman and Oldman aside, she's not insistant on GOOD actors

Guest El Satanico

Unfortunately, Rickman and Oldman aside, she's not insistant on GOOD actors

The kids may at times leave something to be desired, but the adult casts have been quite good.

Kids aren't normally great actors at those ages, so you can't really hold it against the films.

Yeah, really...

I'd like to see Tim Roth find his way into one of these also

he was apparently supposed to play Alan Rickman's role.

I don't really like any of the actors aside from the ones I mentioned.

Yes, this is a spoiler. It would be good for a mod to edit this.

As for a bad cast, I completely disagree. Maggie Smith is a great actress, John Hurt is a great actor, Kenneth Branagh is a great actor. Ron and Hermione are both quite good actors, it's just that Radcliffe lets them down.

And you don't know who Miranda Richardson is!? The woman in The Crying Game, amongst other things.

As for a bad cast, I completely disagree. Maggie Smith is a great actress, John Hurt is a great actor, Kenneth Branagh is a great actor. Ron and Hermione are both quite good actors, it's just that Radcliffe lets them down.

And you don't know who Miranda Richardson is!? The woman in The Crying Game, amongst other things.

I was thinking of the other lady from Bond, my mistake.

As for spoilers, it kind of implies it in the article...you know, since they are CASTING for the role, and all...

I never could stand Maggie Smith, Kenneth Branagh was fairly decent in Rabbit-Proof Fence, the only non-Potter thing I've seen John Hurt in is Spaceballs, and all the kids are typical Annoying Movie Kids.

Although the casting is getting better, with Oldman added to this one, and Fiennes and Brendan Gleeson in the next one

I never could stand Maggie Smith, Kenneth Branagh was fairly decent in Rabbit-Proof Fence, the only non-Potter thing I've seen John Hurt in is Spaceballs, and all the kids are typical Annoying Movie Kids.

Although the casting is getting better, with Oldman added to this one, and Fiennes and Brendan Gleeson in the next one

Aha, so when you said 'insistant on good actors' you meant 'insistant on actors that I like or know of'

Oooooooooooooh yeah, he was in Alien. I haven't seen Elephant Man recent enough to form an opinion on it, but I'll give you Alien

Aha, so when you said 'insistant on good actors' you meant 'insistant on actors that I like or know of'

No, I meant what I said. I honestly don't think any of the actors mentioned are good.

Guest Kid Kablam

As much as I enjoy Walken, I think his presence would have been distracting because of the "OMG ITZ WALKEN!" moment which would then be followed by Walken being like he usually is, and kinda hurting the effect. If you want true Walken goodness, just rent "Pennies from Heaven" and Marvel at his dancing and his sheer Walkeneque....Walkenequesence.

As much as I like Walken, I don't really see him in this role. He's much too noticeable on screen. Voldermort has a tendency to lurk around in the shadows much of the time, and is a much more subdued presense than Walken. John Malkovich would be someone who would be more appropriate. I have no problem with Feinnes in the role.

I don't see the need to edit the title since Voldemort appears in the first chapter of the book, and this will be all over the place in the legitimate media by the time the movie comes out. You won't be able to avoid it anyways.

Christopher Walken these days is not a particularly good actor. Aside from Catch Me If You Can, he hasn't really done much of note in the past ten years. Ralph Fiennes is a far better actor than Walken, with his role in Schindler's List being one of the greatest pieces of acting I've ever seen.

Hey, he did Suicide Kings and Pulp Fiction. But having just watched Schindler's List again, I actually agree with you on this. Feinnes doesn't get enough work, so him getting anything of note, especially a villain, is good. Walken at least gets work.

I'd like to see Tim Roth find his way into one of these also

Before the first movie they offered Tim Roth the part of Professor Snape (The guy Alan Rickman plays), but he decided to do "Planet of the Apes" instead.

I disagree (well not about POTA sucking more, but that he should take the role). In POTA he was pretty much the star of the film or at least the most popular character. In Harry Potter he wouldn't have nearly as major a role. Snape does even less in GOF before getting more time in OOTP.

Alan Rickman RULES as Snape. I really can't see anybody else ever playing that role.

And on that thought, I thought that Rowling had Rickamn picked for the Role of Snape from the word go?