TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

What DVD Player brand...

After reading the thread Youth started about VHS, and Exslade was saying how he owns a TV with a DVD player built in. So I was wondering what brand DVD players does everyone have? And when did you get it?

I have a GE Digital and I love it. I got it for my high school graduation present three years ago and it's still going strong. The only problem with it is that it sometimes freezes up on me. The motor does something funky and stops, but that doesn't happen to often.

Guest Staravenger

I've had the same RCA DVD Player for about three years, and use my PS2 and Xbox for my bedroom and den.

I'm glad some one made this topic. The DVD lens in my PS2 is burnt out, but I can still play games. Yes, there's actually two different lenses, and I didn't know that. However, this leaves me without a DVD player at all, so I've been considering my options...

1. Get the PS2 fixed--which is financially the stupidest decision since I'd have to send it back to Sony, and with shipping and repair costs factored in, it's more sensible to trade it in and get a working one.

2. Get a stand-alone DVD player. Fairly decent prices are available on the stand alones. I'm interested in the best value. I don't care about playing MP3s, DVD-Rs or VCDs or anything like that. I just want to play DVDs. I don't have a high-def TV, I don't need special stereo features. I just want a machine that plays DVDs and won't crap out after the warranty expires. That's all.

3. Get a DVD/VHS combo. Since I still own and use a VCR, this would be a good idea. Plus, I could give my sis the old VCR, which still works fine. Since I just have enough space for all my current consoles and VCR to be hooked up, that's a practical idea. However, it's going to cost more than a regular DVD player.

4. Get an X-Box DVD playback kit. One thing about the X-Box that pisses me off (okay, with the controller and size, 3 things) is that it *has* a DVD player that works, but it only works with a remote. "DVD Playback Kit" just is a nice name for "DVD remote and connector you HAVE to use to play DVDs, sucker!" If it didn't cost 30 dollars, I'd go for it. However, I hear that unlike the PS2, it doesn't have a separate lense for DVDs, so I don't know if this is the wisest option, since that could mean I'd burn out the console sooner. Are there 3rd party ones available? I haven't seen them anywhere. For something like 20 bucks I'd go for it at least for a temporary solution. I guess I could see if anyone is offering them online used on Ebay or something.

So if anyone has advice, personal experiences, etc they can add to help me out, it'd be appreciated.

Scroby: Like you. :) I've had the PS2 for 3 years and the DVD lens lasted pretty long. Since you've played games and DVDs on the Box, how long has it been so far that you've had it like that?

I got a Coby, I got it at Wal-Mart for like $40. Its thin as hell, its region free, and it'll play copies. Haven't had a problem with it so far.

Guest KJ Brackish
The DVD lens in my PS2 is burnt out, but I can still play games. Yes, there's actually two different lenses, and I didn't know that.

First and foremost, I'm not here to argue, I'm just stating what I do know, so don't flame me.

I had to personally rip everything out of my PS2 so that i could repair my lens (got the infamous Disk Read Error message whenever I put anything into my ps2). Long story short...... there is only one lens inside of the ps2 console. It *has* to be the same lens as the ps2 plays cd and dvd games so thus couldn't determine which type and alternate lenses. That's is all that I know, but I could be wrong. I didn't totally dismantle my ps2 lens so I don't know what was inside.

As for the solution to your problem and to add to this thread. I suggest you scour eBay for a DVD player. My mom picked one up on eBay for a whopping $1.00 + $10.00 S&H. It was an APEX DVD player and she's had it for about 3 years now, so talk about a good buy..... just look for the deals like that one. (Just be sure to do your research on the brand and the model).

If you have a Game Crazy in your town, go there and re-check the price on the DVD Playback Kit for the xbox. I just got a flyer in the mail for all Game Crazy's (In Utah and California at least..... I checked with my old boss to see if it was only utah.) and the new price for the kit is 19.99. so it's gone down and it should be a good buy. There are some 3rd party DVD playback kits, but ya just gotta keep your eyes open. (NOTE: If you use a 3rd party playback kit, it DOES void your warrenty (suck eh?)).

KJ

I have Emerson in both my living room and my den. I haven't used my PS2 to play DVD's yet, since I don't want it to burn out or break.

Emerson is a cheap, good brand, I've found. Both DVD players are about 60 bucks each. I have yet to have a problem with them.

PS2 in my bedroom and Panasonic in the living room. The panasonic one is pretty great, if huge.

I've had a Panasonic A300 model since late 99 or early 2000, and aside from not having progressive scan and not liking VCDs or bootleg DVDs, it's been really good to me.

At the same time though, my VCR's slowly but surely dying on me so I'll probably get a DVD/VCR combo to compensate for what the old DVD player doesn't do...

I also have a DVD-Rom on my PC and (of course) the PS2, for which I also got the "disc read error" last November...

I use my PS2 most of the time, but I do have a Philips DVD player that I bought a few years ago for a little over $100. It often just freezes, so I barely use it.

The DVD lens in my PS2 is burnt out, but I can still play games.  Yes, there's actually two different lenses, and I didn't know that.

First and foremost, I'm not here to argue, I'm just stating what I do know, so don't flame me.

Why would I? Defensive lately? :P

I had to personally rip everything out of my PS2 so that i could repair my lens (got the infamous Disk Read Error message whenever I put anything into my ps2). Long story short...... there is only one lens inside of the ps2 console. It *has* to be the same lens as the ps2 plays cd and dvd games so thus couldn't determine which type and alternate lenses. That's is all that I know, but I could be wrong. I didn't totally dismantle my ps2 lens so I don't know what was inside.

Hmm--that's very strange, because it plays some fairly scratched up PS2 and PS1 games just fine. Maybe it would be wisest to keep playing the PS2 a bit longer and make sure that it's still working perfectly for games. Also, yeah, maybe it's something inside the lens that causes it to react like that, but just telling what I know from experience. I had heard that it uses a different lens from an EB employee, so maybe he was incorrect or he misunderstood how it worked.

So I won't flame you, because you probably helped me out a lot there. :) Methinks you've had situations like that, though.

As for the solution to your problem and to add to this thread. I suggest you scour eBay for a DVD player. My mom picked one up on eBay for a whopping $1.00 + $10.00 S&H. It was an APEX DVD player and she's had it for about 3 years now, so talk about a good buy..... just look for the deals like that one. (Just be sure to do your research on the brand and the model).

Sure, I'd give that a shot, but it's unlikely. Just checked it out--most prices are substantially higher than that. :P

If you have a Game Crazy in your town, go there and re-check the price on the DVD Playback Kit for the xbox. I just got a flyer in the mail for all Game Crazy's (In Utah and California at least..... I checked with my old boss to see if it was only utah.) and the new price for the kit is 19.99. so it's gone down and it should be a good buy. There are some 3rd party DVD playback kits, but ya just gotta keep your eyes open. (NOTE: If you use a 3rd party playback kit, it DOES void your warrenty (suck eh?)).

KJ

No Game Crazy around here--and all the stores around here have the DVD Playback Kit for $29.99. No third parties either, although maybe I'll check Game Stop next time in I'm in the Pittsburgh area.

It voids my warranty? LOL. Manufacturer's warranty is only 90 days, and I got my X-Box used for 80 bucks up CD Warehouse. However, a decent 3rd party manufacturer usually has a guarantee on their devices that they'll repair or replace anything their accessories damage free of cost. Of course, with almost all of those accessories, they and Microsoft/Sony/etc. know it's bullshit, but it will let them squeak out of liability if some one is stupid enough to say they've used a third party accessory.

Guest KJ Brackish
The DVD lens in my PS2 is burnt out, but I can still play games.  Yes, there's actually two different lenses, and I didn't know that.

Why would I? Defensive lately? :P

Hmm--that's very strange, because it plays some fairly scratched up PS2 and PS1 games just fine. Maybe it would be wisest to keep playing the PS2 a bit longer and make sure that it's still working perfectly for games. Also, yeah, maybe it's something inside the lens that causes it to react like that, but just telling what I know from experience. I had heard that it uses a different lens from an EB employee, so maybe he was incorrect or he misunderstood how it worked.

So I won't flame you, because you probably helped me out a lot there. :) Methinks you've had situations like that, though.

Sure, I'd give that a shot, but it's unlikely. Just checked it out--most prices are substantially higher than that. :P

KJ

No Game Crazy around here--and all the stores around here have the DVD Playback Kit for $29.99. No third parties either, although maybe I'll check Game Stop next time in I'm in the Pittsburgh area.

It voids my warranty? LOL. Manufacturer's warranty is only 90 days, and I got my X-Box used for 80 bucks up CD Warehouse. However, a decent 3rd party manufacturer usually has a guarantee on their devices that they'll repair or replace anything their accessories damage free of cost. Of course, with almost all of those accessories, they and Microsoft/Sony/etc. know it's bullshit, but it will let them squeak out of liability if some one is stupid enough to say they've used a third party accessory.

I couldn't resist telling you that it voids your warrenty. That was the inner-videogame salesman that I used to be coming out and saying that. I've just been flamed in about every thread I post in, so i was hoping not to. I'd take your ps2 somewhere (I'm not sure of where) to get it cleaned or do it yourself. I know you've probably tried one of those cd cleaners, but they don't do shit. Mine was still crapping out after I used a cd cleaner. Thus I took my PS2 apart myself and cleaned the lens (twas a seperate occasion). Hope I could help.

KJ

Guest hockeytown9321

I have a Toshiba that I got 4 years ago for $200. Still works great, even if its twice the size of the newer ones.

HA! I bought an "as is" Toshiba off Ebay for $15 shipped, after doing some quick research to find out that all that was wrong with it was two bad copacitors. The copacitors were at Radio Shack for $.99 each, and I got my stepfather who knows how to solder to take the defective ones out and replace them. Its a really nice DVD player for $17.