TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

LOST

When a show gets me full of energy yelling out "YES! YES~! YES! YEEEEEES!!! OH DEAR GOD YES!!" (which, like, maybe 2 have) it is a GREAT FUCKING SHOW.

I hope you took a cold shower...

can't wait for next week, was hyped for the premier but since already saw the full pilot not that long ago I wasn't quite as into it...but now next week will be new stuff and I can't bloody wait, especially after that preview :D

Yeah, well, YOU should hang around in bars.

Well, I do. Just not in women's clothing...

I think he has a split personality. One light. One Dark.

Split personality sounds about right.

Guest Vitamin X

I only watched today's episode. I love Dominic Monaghan's character, and I was as pleasantly surprised by the fat guy's acting as everyone else in this thread. I haven't watched any kind of network drama in years.. possibly ever (With the exception of Las Vegas on NBC though, because it was so ridiculously cheesy and it had an interesting concept.. okay and because it had Nikki Cox :wub:). And hey if you're worried about what a show can accomplish being in a closed environment, I don't know if any of you watched it, but I particularly enjoyed Star Trek: Voyager, and that whole show's concept revolved around them trying to find their way back to planet Earth and continously failing... So this'll probably be them trying to get off the island and continously failing. I have to think that whatever the show has in store for the "thing on the island" is probably what's going to keep the show going for longevity.

Which means it's going to be either aliens or dinosaurs.

Here are some neat points about the show, the one that I spoiler tagged isn't really a spoiler, but it gives you an idea of what's to come time-frame wise. (1 season will equal ___ days).

- The 2-hour pilot episode of Lost cost approximately $10 million to make, one of the highest pilots produced in television history.

-Before being picked up for the fall season ABC had already order six additional scripts beyond the pilot episode of Lost.

-It cost $250,000 just to ship the wrecked plane pieces to Hawaii.

The first season will depict their first 40 days on the island, with each

episode covering roughly 48 hours (except the 2-hour pilot which only covers their first 24 hours). The Biblical reference (40 days) is no accident.

-Many of the writing team have a Minor in Sociology, which is going to help in writing character interactions.

-When Jack, Kate, and Charlie find the cockpit, you'll notice that the name of the airline is OCEANIC. This name has been widely used for an airline in many TV shows and films such as Executive Decision and also on an episode of J.A.G. The logo and the name have been used alot even though the airline doesn't exist.

-On its original airing this episode scored 18.65 million viewers while winning its timeslot against the other networks.

I only watched today's episode. I love Dominic Monaghan's character, and I was as pleasantly surprised by the fat guy's acting as everyone else in this thread. I haven't watched any kind of network drama in years.. possibly ever (With the exception of Las Vegas on NBC though, because it was so ridiculously cheesy and it had an interesting concept.. okay and because it had Nikki Cox :wub:). And hey if you're worried about what a show can accomplish being in a closed environment, I don't know if any of you watched it, but I particularly enjoyed Star Trek: Voyager, and that whole show's concept revolved around them trying to find their way back to planet Earth and continously failing... So this'll probably be them trying to get off the island and continously failing. I have to think that whatever the show has in store for the "thing on the island" is probably what's going to keep the show going for longevity.

Which means it's going to be either aliens or dinosaurs.

You know, I was just saying to myself, "Self? You know what this show needs? The Kazon. Or Nikki Cox as a Betazed or something."

...also, I should really stop joking around about shows I'm enjoying. Then again, ABC cancelled Karen Sisco last year, and I AM still a bit bitter about that...

I am one of the few people who really enjoyed Voyager, as well. The thing here is, though, LOST has left A LOT open in terms of storylines and character development, and Voyager didn't really have that (well, the Maquis/Federation thing, but they blew that over pretty quickly and focused more on the Kazon... eugh...), so it took them a while to find their groove. The best episodes IMO were when Voyager had its back against the wall and was really feeling the strain of being alone - which is what LOST brings in spades. Daniel Dae Kim (the Asian guy) guested on one of Voyagers better episodes, the Old Guy with a Secret (locke) was also on Next Gen.

I think the only 'questionable' thing about the show is the Big Monster, because if you were to say to someone what the show was about, you'd get this reaction...

"Uh huh... They get trapped on an island, lots of people, lots of different people, they all have a history, nothing is as it seems, tropical island and a polar bear? That's intersting.... sounds cool... a giant what??"

But for me, it is a wonderful plot device as it gives them a problem and could potentially devide them. Conflict~!

Guest Vitamin X

I forgot completely what the hell the Kazon were all about, though if they are who I think they were, good lord they were lame. That show should have always been focused around the Borg. Oh, and I actually enjoyed Voyager more than any other Star Trek I ever saw. Janeway had more balls than Kirk and Picard *feels the wrath from online Trekkies*

Anyways, I felt that Voyager had an escapism in that since they were traveling in a vast sci-fi frontier, it was simple to make up planets and aliens and continue with plot development while each show had some kind of problem to solve on a planet and onboard... And I felt the characters were pretty well developed, but it's different with Lost since of course we're dealing with more realistic characters and most important, there's that closed atmosphere. You can't just make up new monsters that could potentially divide them, and how long can you keep up being stranded on an island before it becomes unrealistic in how they continue to survive?

What I'm also afraid of is only getting one season of this show which has been magnificent so far.

While the borg were able to add a nice shot into Voyagers storylines, they got kinda silly and out-of-hand with them after a while. I thought the Herogin (sp?) were a pretty fun foil, maybe their best.

Err..

Everyone has a dark secret on the island... what do you think the fat guys is? Or the Pregnant Chick? Or the Hick (I never fully appreciated his character until tonight)?

The Hick is going full-blown babyface soon, I'm calling that one. The scene with him reading the letter gave him a sense of lonliness and he looked kinda sad. I think also the paper could've had something to do with Kate and he knows about her.

Next week?

*Load blown*

I mean, this show has potential. More potential then any new show that's come along in years and years.

The fact that the creepy backgammon dude could end up being some kind of psycho bounty hunter is just boss.

Since this is a new show, we're all probably having a lil trouble with names... Here is my character guide...

Naveen Andrews - Sayid (Fought in the Gulf War on the side of... IRAQ~! I think he was in Alive, and I know he was in the Rollerball remake.)

Matthew Fox - Jack (Was a Spinal Surgeon. A DOCTOR. Thus far, squeeky clean, and abnormally heroic)

Jorge Garcia - Hurley (The fat one. Quite possibly, with a heart of gold... which may or may not be chloesterol build up.)

Maggie Grace - Shannon (There may be a criminal on the island, but she's jail bait.)

Josh Holloway - Sawyer (YEAH MOTHERFUCKER. He owned a truck! A black truck! And it had a skull on it somewhere! And he watched Motocross! He may, or may not, have a sensitive side.)

Malcolm David Kelley - Walt (The lil black kid who knows 2 things: how to spell bodies, and the old mans secret)

Yunjin Kim - Sun (Hot Asian who wants to unbutton her shirt. I see great potential here)

Daniel Dae Kim - Jin (A real man. He keeps his woman in check and is scared of Austrailian pregnant ladies... a fear I know all too well.)

Evangeline Lilly - Kate (She likes to cry in the rain, and strip in the sea. We wouldn't last, but then again, we wouldn't have to. Seems a bit clingy, and I think she may be in jail for killing her husband. No, we wouldn't last at all.)

Dominic Monaghan - Charlie (He plays in a Rock and Roll band, but flies Coach. He's a happy coke head... but what happens when he goes through withdrawl???)

Terry O'Quinn - Locke (He has a secret, loves old things, recognizes the light and the dark, and apparently is a hunter. He could be the greatest one of them all.)

Harold Perrineau Jr. - Michael (The father of the kid he doesn't really understand. Perhaps they will get to know each other a little bit better during this time of crisis... Herc from AICN said one of the problems he had was "How did they know there was a criminal from just looking at the handcuffs." Well, I dunno if you guys noticed this about Michael and how he relates to crime, but.... he was on oZ, so I think he' know. HA, I bet you thought I was going to say he associated handcuffs with crime because he was black!)

Emilie de Ravin - Claire (I don't know what dark secret they will give her -cause she's pregnant and harmless, but I can imagine.)

Ian Somerhalder - Boone (Wasn't this guy the gay dude from Rules of Attraction? We know he was a lifeguard but still can't give mouth to mouth to a woman, so he may still be gay here.)

CTV seems to have picked up Lost in Canada, and they'll be airing the pilot on Saturday as well. I kind of hope they'll switch to widescreen, but since they don't do it for anything else, I'm not holding my breath.

I don't know what's going on for future episodes. It's not on the schedule for next week, and they've already got Wife Swap (<_<), Law & Order and CSI: NY on Wednesdays.

Guest Evolution

Next week sounds good, even though I missed the preview like an idiot since I figured, "Hey, I've already seen both episodes, I don't need to watch this until next week!"

D'oh.

Anyway, here's to a prosperous run for Lost. And also to a quick death for life as we know it, which looks awful.

Janeway had more balls than Kirk and Picard *feels the wrath from online Trekkies*

If you had said Sisko, then it'd be on.

Herc from AICN said one of the problems he had was "How did they know there was a criminal from just looking at the handcuffs."

Knowles' site is filled with idiots. And Moriarty. I have nothing left to say.

My presumption/guess was that the guy was a racist of some sort, just because of his whole "light" and "dark" spiel ... but the split personality theory runs circles around mine. The fact that he'd be telling a black kid that he's racist is kind of a bad way to keep a secret. (I blame the vodka dinner for the stupid theory, but that's just me making excuses.)

And, RRR, thanks for the cast-list. I was having a hard time remembering the names, so a cheat sheet was needed. Thanks.

I posted it @ DVDVR but I'll do it for the TSM peeps here. I noticed that Claire is listed as a guest star. I could easily see them killing her off but keeping the baby and having somebody (Maggie and Boone?) assume parental roles.

I posted it @ DVDVR but I'll do it for the TSM peeps here. I noticed that Claire is listed as a guest star. I could easily see them killing her off but keeping the baby and having somebody (Maggie and Boone?) assume parental roles.

I'd actually guess the Korean couple if that were the case.

As for Locke, a thought popped in my head that he could be a child molester. I got a "Diff'rent Strokes" kinda vibe there...

Guest Evolution

From the TV Tome website for the show:

In the pilot episode of Lost actress Emilie de Ravin was listed as a guest star and supposed to be on a recurring basis. After the series was picked up for the fall by ABC she became a regular cast member.

I just got done watching the 2nd episode (I think)...not sure if it's the first one or second one but here's what I saw:

I thought it was really intresting and I'm looking forward to Wednesday night. It may seem like too many twists and turns for some people, but I love it because it kept me on my seat. I didn't expect the girl to be the one who was the convict and I thought when the Iraqi guy said that he served in the Republican Guard when the guy asked him what force he was in was GREAT stuff.

Stuff I'm looking forward to knowing: What's the deal with the girl and her criminal background, what's the deal with the guy who shot the bear, what's the deal with the older guy playing Backgammon, what in the fuck is on that island (16 years of a constant may day call from a French girl???), and why are polar bears there?

I really enjoyed it. This is the only episode I've seen so if this is the 2nd one, could someone please let me know how I can get a hold of the 1st one cause I'm really into it.

I missed the first half hour of it but I have a question:

Where did this flight leave from and where was it going?

Sign in to follow this