TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

LOST

I've been seeing that I-Ching Stuff alot. The producer said that a book, The Third Policeman, was important.

I'm pretty damn sure about Hurley and the joke. I'll try and source it tonight or tomorrow

Guest ShinyThings

I know there are a lot of wild theories out there that have to do with the numbers and this one probably makes little (if any) sense but I’m curious to see if people think it’s possible.

Right, so – determinism has to do with a branch philosophy which states that (in theory) everything in life can be predicted. Here’s a bit from Wikipedia:

The "billiard ball" hypothesis, a product of Newtonian physics, argues that once the initial conditions of the universe have been established the rest of the history of the universe follows inevitably. If it were actually possible to have complete knowledge of physical matter and the laws governing that matter at any one time, then it would be theoretically possible to compute the time and place of every event that will ever occur. In this sense, the basic particles of the universe operate in the same fashion as the rolling balls on a billiard table, moving and striking each other in predictable ways to produce predictable results.

So what if Hurley is the initial billiard ball that set everything else in motion? What if those numbers are part of an equation that can actually calculate the physical matter and the laws governing that matter at any one time? It would at least explain how all the characters are connected.

I mean there are plenty of times on that show when you think ‘what are the odds?’ What are the odds of Sawyer running into Jack’s father? What are the odds that Jack is technically responsible for Shannon’s father’s death? Maybe in the case of this group of people, the odds are all 100 percent.

I have a theory... What if the magnetic disturbances have something to do with a meteor that hit the island many eons ago?

I just have this funny feeling that all this bizarre stuff ties into somehow with a meteor/meteorite that hit the island long ago that's causing all this weird stuff to happen?

Maybe a rare un-earthly mineral that could be used as an energy source? Hence why Dharma is there?

I have a theory... What if the magnetic disturbances have something to do with a meteor that hit the island many eons ago?

I just have this funny feeling that all this bizarre stuff ties into somehow with a meteor/meteorite that hit the island long ago that's causing all this weird stuff to happen?

Maybe a rare un-earthly mineral that could be used as an energy source? Hence why Dharma is there?

Hurley did say his chicken shack job got hit by a meteor ... meteorite.

Ok, been thinking about the number countdown/monster noise, in relation to the "deadman's switch" thing. Maybe, since the monster seems to be some kind of cloud, the numbers thing is to contain the monster somehow.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm almost POSITIVE the "monster" is really a machine of some sort, some sort of industrial, clanky one too by the sounds of it (just observe the sounds it made in its last significant appearance during "Exodus"). So that theory might very well be true.

Guest Evolution

Locke III means that tonight's episode will be the third episode to feature flashbacks of Locke.

The first was Walkabout and the second was Deus Ex Machina.

I'm pretty pumped. I'm just hoping that my puppy goes to sleep around 10 pm when I usually start watching Lost (the magic of DVR) so that I can watch it in peace.

Tonight ought to be a pretty important episode. Last week indicated that we're getting to a point where flashbacks for our core crew are less important, and actual progress on the island is going to be a lot more vital to this being a satisfying story. Hopefully this week will give us some answers and some directions for the characters to take rather than a bunch of people standing around looking confused.

Guest Fishyswa

I wouldn't mind a lot of flashbacks right now, it's at a point where everything is happening so quickly in real time, you can go through 5 huge peices of information in a matter of 5 minutes on the Island. Adding the flashbacks gives us backstory and something to fill the time between holy shit revelations.

Tonight ought to be a pretty important episode.  Last week indicated that we're getting to a point where flashbacks for our core crew are less important, and actual progress on the island is going to be a lot more vital to this being a satisfying story.  Hopefully this week will give us some answers and some directions for the characters to take rather than a bunch of people standing around looking confused.

I thought last week just indicated that Michael had kindof a comparitively uninteresting life before the island

Guest Fishyswa

Was I the only person interested in his back story? I didn't catch a lot of season 1 so I don't know how exciting everyone else's was, but the "deadbeat dad" tale always connects with me, and I really wonder about the circumstances of how he got Walt back.

The circumstances of how he got Walt back are spelled out quite clearly in his season 1 flashback episode, if you can find that. I think it's called "Special."

My thing with the flashbacks, which last week drove home for me, is that I really don't think we need a lot more of them. These people are on the island and we have basic snapshots of how everyone got there and what their lives were like beforehand. Really, aside from one more Jack (what happened to his marriage) and perhaps tonight's Locke (how'd he get paralyzed?), I can't think of anyone else who really needs one. Maybe Hurley can get another since his was so condensed, but I don't think anybody else has additional backstory that means a whole lot at this point. With all the new characters seemingly coming into things this week, I think time on the island is going to be a lot more important than time before the island.

Guest Fishyswa

Once Desmond relaxes I think answers are gonna start flowing.

And I'm gonna have to get the Season 1 DVD. I thought I could peice things together but I've just missed too much.

I think tonight's the episode everyone's been waiting for. It's going to give us a lot of answers, I believe.

Yeah, except for every answer Lost gives us, they give us 5 new questions.

Helen wasn't a phone sex lady....I was sure that's what she was.

Guest Fishyswa

Well it's certainly an question answering, 5 more making episode. Why are the other's so paranoid and so primitive compared to the survivors?

I don't think those are Danielle's Others. I think all of those people are Flight 815 survivors. Would real there-16-years Others be wearing pencil skirts? We'll see.

Much better episode. Well done in giving us a bit about the research program, but making it very clear that weird shit was going on at the island before they arrived, presumably in 1980.

Sign in to follow this