TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

What are you watching?

Guest wildpegasus

I thought it'd be a good idea to start a "What are you watching?" thread. In this we can discuss matches that we've watched rescently. Write a little description about a match and what you thought about it. This way we can perhaps discover stuff we haven't seen before or just relive some memories. Post away!

HULK HOGAN vs KING KONG BUNDY WRESTLEMANIA II

I enjoyed this one as it had a big feel to it and I'm a mark for the "little" guy against the big guy. Good action throughout with Bundy being the indestructable monstor and Hogan being the superhero like he was back in the day. I marked for the bodyslam story and Bundy's avalanche in the corner. I always felt sorry for Heenan at the end however and this is one of the reasons why I could never become a Hulkamaniac in my youth. Fun match.

Kevin Nash Vs Hollywood Hogan (1-4-99 Nitro)

Just watched this on a Best of Kevin Nash tape I got for $3 or $4. What a god damn disgrace and the event that ultimately marked the end of WCW. 40,000+ fans at the Georgia Dome and they screwed it up in the worst possible way.

I'm going to try pinning this and see what sort of responses we get out of it. I'll pin it as long as people keep posting in it every day or two. My only request is that we try to follow the five year rule if at all possible.

Guest Staravenger

Just watched Big Van Vader vs. Tom Zenk from Great American Bash 1990. Vader beats the crap out of Zenk for about two minutes and allows maybe one spurt of offense before splashing him for a win.

I think this was BVV's WCW Debut, or at least on PPV.

Watching WM7 again for the time in I dont know how long. So far have gotten as far as the classic Warrior/Savage retirement match, which was even better than I remembered. Randy Savage was definately a big match player, and the tension was through the roof. Still got a decent amount of enjoyment from the Savage/Liz reunion ending, and the fact people were crying in the crowd was a testament to overall story that was told.

Also, 5 Big Elbows by Macho. Nobody delivered them better (sorry HBK).

Guest Staravenger

That has to be Warriors greatest match ever. Savage was able to work a smart storyline with him, and Warrior conserved his energy by WALKING to the ring, and didn't really blow up. Not to sound wimpy, but I got emotional for the reunion, but not "wah-wah" emotional.

Guest ally mccoist

Two matches I watched recently:

Masato Tanaka vs Mike Awesome (N2R99)

Its Tanaka vs Awesome, have these guys had a bad match? This was maybe not their best, but still good. White hot ending as well. The spots get a bit predictable after a while, because all their matches are basically recycled versions of the same match. I'm not complaining though, a lot of fun to watch.

Dean Malenko vs Rey Mysterio Jr (GAB96)

A lesson in how to work a body part. Malenko kills Mysterios arm in every possible way. The crowd didn't seem to into it until the end, but thats kind of understandable because it was just Malenko beating the shit out of Mysterio's arm for about 10 mins until the comeback. Good stuff. I believe this was Mysterio's WCW debut, but I don't know.

Everything about it was built to put over the importance of the retirement stipulation. Even the Warriors tights were putting over the occasion as something special, with the words 'means more than this' and a pic of the WWF title.

In fact, the whole story involving Savage from early 91 through to WM8 in 92 was just brilliant.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

RIC FLAIR VS. TERRY FUNK

THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH '89

It's fucking awesome. The HATE is there, and Flair chops like he's out to stop a man's heart. He seriously makes Benoit's chops look like the pale imitations they are. Funk is game to take a great shitkicking and give it back, the entrances are boss, the finish rules, there's blood, I'm done.

Steiners vs. Fire 'n Ice: WCW Great American Bash '96

For some reason, I really enjoy this match. Although, other then Norton's attempt at building a story around Scott's arm, it's a complete spotfest. Fun as hell though. They just beat the crap out of each other. Everything's stiff and a couple of the suplex's are messed up, but they actually help the match's whole feel as in one suplex it looks like Rick caught one of his oppenents in his arms and just threw him over his head. Would have been better if Scott hadn't powerbombed himself on the Frankensteiner.

Owen Hart, British Bulldog, The New Rockers vs. The Hogwinns, Doug Furnas, and Phil Lafon: Survivor Series '96

This starts off really bad as it's basically the Rockers vs. The Hogwinns... in which Jannetty and ____ look really bad. It gets good, though, after the Hogwinns and Jannetty leave. Lafon hits Snow with his awesome reverse superplex for the pin. Then, a sunset flip on Bulldog for the pin. Bulldog clips him before he leaves and Owen works to the sharpshooter. Furnas break it up, gets the tag, and tries to murder Owen with suplexes--getting the pin.

Andre the Giant v Big John Studd from the HOF DVD( 4/25/83; New York City, NY; Madison Square Garden)

Certainly not a good match, but it brought back memories of my childhood when I would have been marking out like crazy seeing them in the ring together. I will say this, they actually try to incorporate psychology as Studd works over Andre's arm, and Andre sells it A LOT better than some (maybe most) of the guys in the WWE today.

1992 Royal Rumble

Just finished watching it and it holds up today. People like Scott Keith have complained that there were too many jobbers clogging up the middle of the match. IMO, it didn't hurt the match at all as Gorilla and Bobby put over every wrestler that entered and tried to convince the audience that anyone could win. Obviously it was far fetched, but they did their job trying to create suspense. Every fresh wrestler attacks Flair immediatley and Flair bumps for EVERYONE, not just the top guys. Undertaker's performance is pretty bad, as he constantly trips over other guys in the ring and chokes WAY too much. They did a good job of weaving the Jake/Savage storyline into the match as Jake looks to the entrance way every time the buzzer goes off. Couple of missed spots as Shawn's superkick to Flair misses by a mile and Flair sells it anyway, and Big Bossman essentially has to eliminate himself as he was supposed to jump over the ropes after missing a splash, but he falls short and has to hang on the ropes and push himself out of the ring (really ugly spot). Great Rumble and Heenan is gold on commentary.

Guest Ray

Bob Backlund vs. Tatsumi Fujinami - 1/1/82

Yeahhhhhh~! Backlund is God alright. This is a great one. A test of wits, as each man grabs and claws for any advantage they can get. I especially love the staredowns they have after blocking or escaping a move (and they block/escape moves dozens of times all in different ways). It's as if they're staring into each others mind, scouting for any sign of weakness. I also love the way the high-end moves are treated. A simple move such as a double arm suplex is fought over desperately. Backlund wins after a neat reversal after 15 minutes or so. But there's controversy~! The pin came quite fast and they're unsure what happened. Instant replay shows it was a clean pin. Backlund won't let the ref raise his hand though! I love when Bob does that, when he feels his victory was tainted. It's late and I don't feel like describing everything that happened, but needless to say I LOVED this one to death. :)

Guest Contentious C
This starts off really bad as it's basically the Rockers vs. The Hogwinns... in which Jannetty and ____ look really bad.

Underlined b/c you don't know who it is??

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Bob Backlund vs. Tatsumi Fujinami - 1/1/82

Yeahhhhhh~! Backlund is God alright.

Thank God this isn't DVDVR MB.

GRAHAM WAS ROBBED~!

This starts off really bad as it's basically the Rockers vs. The Hogwinns... in which Jannetty and ____ look really bad.

Underlined b/c you don't know who it is??

Bah... I put that there because I couldn't remember his name. I was going to replace it after I looked up which one it was.

Guest bort

Rick and Scott Steiner vs Tatsumi Fujinami and Pink Trunks from WrestleWar 91.

I really liked this match, the Steiners were very stiff with the Pink Trunk guy, Rick killed the dudes face with an Elbow. Scott busts out 2 standing moonsault fallaway slams. a goood hard hitting tag match

Promo Azteca 2/21/97

A really fun little show. Only three matches, but they range from good to watchable to great.

The first match is an eight-man tag in which the only people I know are Super Calo, Halloween, Damien, & Juventud. Fun match, though. Really neat spot as they do a spot where everyone misses a splash on another guy, then everyone runs the ropes, then the technico's all hit dives on the rudos. Halloween takes a really sick bump to the concrete floor at the end of the first fall. One of the technico's starts a fight between Halloween and his partner Damien. Fun, but nothing to write home about.

Second match was Konnan, La Parka, and some guy vs. Misterioso, Psicosis, and Cien Caras. Crowd heat and comdey spots made this watchable.

Third match is awesome. Rey Misterio Jr. vs. El Hijo del Santo. First fall is all about the beautiful lucha matwork, in the second fall they start flying and hitting big moves, and in the third fall they prentend they're in All Japan as Santo tries to slap on the la de a caballo (Camel Clutch) while Rey does everything he can to avoid it. Good, good stuff. One of my favorite matches every.

Guest ally mccoist
Scott busts out 2 standing moonsault fallaway slams

What the fuck are they!?!

Guest wildpegasus

One of the most amazing moves in wrestling that only someone like Scott Steiner could do. In fact I don't think anyone else has ever done it (be pretty impressive if they did) and if they did I doubt it was with an opponent the size Steiner was throwing around.

Pick up your opponent with two hands like you were going to do a backbreaker (Not Benoit/Dynamite style but the Great Muta style) and hold him there. Than "throw" your opponent backwards without releasing him. At the same time rotate your body backwards and land on your stomach/chest while still holding your opponent. That is the finish position which would be the same as a normal pinning predicament. Yes, I know that sounds impossable but Scott Steiner actually did it!!!! He did a lot of "impossable" stuff back in the day. In the Wrestlewar match he actually screws up the first time and lands around his head area but manages to full rotate the second time.

Guest Staravenger

Only one problem...The Steiners were in the Wargames match at the 1991 edition. :D

I had a good idea what the move was though. I just imagined Scott Hall's fallaway slam but with a moonsault type move added to it where you land on the person. I've never seen it done though.

Guest Ray

Bret Hart vs. Hakushi - In Your House One 1995

I liked this, but I think Hakushi's poor work sticks out like a sore thumb. He doesn't seem to know how to work Bret's match at all. One example is Hakushi just stopping during a rope running sequence. Bret isn't expecting him to stop and he has to cover up the mistake with an elbow to the head. Lot of poor timing and mistakes like that in this match. Another example is the turnbuckle bumps Bret always takes. The first one is always chest first, and his opponent dominates a bit to show Bret's in trouble. Then his opponent will try the whip again, but Bret will slow himself and take it back first, usually leading to a brief hope comeback to show Bret's still in the match. Instead of charging or doing something Bret can dodge/counter, Hakushi just stands there and does nothing. He also fills his segements poorly, with a lot of choking and standing around. And he takes too much time setting up his spots, which means Bret has to stand there and wait for it or be distracted by Haskushi's manager, which doesn't fit well with Bret's character. It's not all bad. There are some fun moves and the end is quite hot, but Hakushi's mistakes clearly hold this one back. It seemed to me like Bret was putting the match in Hakushi's hands and he dropped the ball.

Guest ally mccoist

One of the most amazing moves in wrestling that only someone like Scott Steiner could do. In fact I don't think anyone else has ever done it (be pretty impressive if they did) and if they did I doubt it was with an opponent the size Steiner was throwing around.

Pick up your opponent with two hands like you were going to do a backbreaker (Not Benoit/Dynamite style but the Great Muta style) and hold him there. Than "throw" your opponent backwards without releasing him. At the same time rotate your body backwards and land on your stomach/chest while still holding your opponent. That is the finish position which would be the same as a normal pinning predicament. Yes, I know that sounds impossable but Scott Steiner actually did it!!!! He did a lot of "impossable" stuff back in the day. In the Wrestlewar match he actually screws up the first time and lands around his head area but manages to full rotate the second time.

That is insane. So essentially its Scott Steiner doing a standing moonsault, while holding his opponent in the fallaway slam position. That is just crazy. I have gotta find a clip of this. Thanks for explaining it.

SilverVision rules. 3 DVDs, six old school events. Of which I most recently watched...

Shawn Michaels w/Diesel vs. Crush - King Of The Ring 1993

Pretty bleh, really. Shawn isn't the worker he becomes a couple of years later and Crush is Crush. Still, it does it's job. Power versus speed, only Crush gets to show off his leapfrogs and dropkicks. Crazy to think of the lumbering slug he became. Crush gets smashed into the post repeatedly to KO him, but Shawn doesn't settle for a countout and it almost costs him. But here come the Two Doinks, smoking cigars. They do they whole 'is it an illusion' crap which distracts Crush. Superkick to the back of the head, lame looking turnbuckle bump and the three count for Shawn. Really only noteable for Diesel's white sequined line-dancer jacket and cowboy boots.

The New Foundation vs. The Orient Express- Royal Rumble 1992

Now, this I liked. Much like The Rockers/Express which opened 91 (which is on the same DVD but I haven't watched yet), it's a hot opener. Not on the same quality but still a pretty fun match. The crowd are red hot into this surprisingly. Neidhart looks odd in the High Energy style pajama pants, which only takes away from the match slightly. Decent tag-work to start and The New Foundation are very much like the Hart Foundation (obviously) only with a 'lightweight' Bret. The Express, meanwhile, looked good again. Pity they never got the chance to move up the card. Nice spot with Fuji's cane getting hung on the top rope and Owen going shoulder first into it. Usual face fight back and Neidhart knocks the hell out the Express. Beautiful dive through the ropes by Owen onto Kato, and then Tanaka gets the Rocket Launcher. A fun match with a hot crowd...good start to a memorable show.

I finally found a good copy of the Owen Hart tribute match between Bret and Benoit, and that is definitely a classic in every sense of the word. I would give it ***** each and every time. after watching that match I *had* to play my Bret CAW against Benoit in a Three Stages of Hell match. That was good stufff, too.

Another thing I have been getting into is the FMW stuff, which I love just for the sheer brutality of the matches. I just found Combat Toyoda's final match against Megumi Kudo, and all I can say is daaaaamn. The suplex spots that Kudo busts out at the end are just *sick*.

Heh, I have lauding that Vader debut match for a long time... best squash match by far.

Guest wildpegasus
I finally found a good copy of the Owen Hart tribute match between Bret and Benoit, and that is definitely a classic in every sense of the word. I would give it ***** each and every time. after watching that match I *had* to play my Bret CAW against Benoit in a Three Stages of Hell match. That was good stufff, too.

Another thing I have been getting into is the FMW stuff, which I love just for the sheer brutality of the matches. I just found Combat Toyoda's final match against Megumi Kudo, and all I can say is daaaaamn. The suplex spots that Kudo busts out at the end are just *sick*.

Heh, I have lauding that Vader debut match for a long time... best squash match by far.

Some stuff I wrote about the Bret vs Benoit match because I feel since most people haven't seen or don't really remember their first outings they don't have the privilege of knowing how great this match truly is.

The Benoit/Bret tribute match is actually underrated. For anyone who hasn't seen the unedited version of the tribute match, this is what happens during the commercial break. 1st break-Benoit works over Bret's arm

2nd Break-Hart works over Benoit's back most notably irish whipping him into the steel railing.

The action in the breaks only help add to the overall quality of the bout. Now the one thing I wanted to comment about in this match is something most people haven't taken notice of. The tribute match plays off of Benoit and Bret's previous matches big time. It's so beautiful it brings a tear to my eye.

Here are some of the things that I remember:

1)At the end of the 6/22/98 match Benoit counters Bret's attempt at a suplex into the crippler crossface

Tribute Match-At the end of the match Bret counters Benoit's same crossface reversal (once again from Bret's suplex attempt) move midway through Benoit's reversal attempt by using his foot to counter. Bret than proceeds to get Benoit in the sharpshooter ending the bout. This whole sequence is great as not only is it innovative but it comes off as Hart intentionally going for the suplex attempt just to let Benoit counter just so Bret could THAN counter to put Benoit in the sharpshooter. If you want to look even further deeper into this you could easily say that when Bret hit the suplex successfully earlier in the bout he was giving Benoit a false sense of security by showing to Benoit that he wasn't doing anything funny by letting Benoit counter the suplex attempt early on. Later on, as I said before Bret seemingly lets Benoit counter the suplex attempt at the end. Absolutely beautiful! And no, I don't think I'm reaching there at all.

2)6/22/98-Benoit hits the snap suplex, goes up to the top rope for the flying headbutt but misses

Tribute match-Benoit hits 3 consecutive snap suplexes before going up to the top rope to hit the headbutt. He's now successful as he learnt from the first bout that 1 snap suplex might not be enough to keep Bret down for the flying headbutt.

3)6/22/98-Benoit hits the dragon suplex

Tribute-Bret counters the dragon suplex

4)3/1/99-Benoit irish whips Bret into the corner, charges in, gets caught by Bret's boot, Benoit stumbels out and is met by a clothesline by Bret

Tribute-Benoit irish whips Bret in to the corner and is once again met with Bret's foot. Again Benoit stumbles back and just like Bret seemingly would set up Benoit at the end o the bout with the suplex attempt Benoit here seemingly sets up Bret by stumbling out almost asking Bret to clothesline him just so Benoit can counter what he learned from their 3/1/99 bout. Benoit of course does counter Bret's clothesline into a dragon suplex which Bret than counters because he learnt how deadly the dragon was in Benoit/Bret's first bout (6/22/98). Benoit than proceeds to hit the rolling germans.

5)3/1/99 Bout-Benoit counters the sharpshooter attempt midway through the match by turning it into the crossface. However, Bret's too close to the ropes so he grabs them.

Tribute Match-Benoit once again manages to counter an attempted suplex attempt into the crossface. Benoit realises though that once again Bret's too close to the ropes and is about to grab them so Benoit decides to "drag" Benoit back from the ropes a little bit while in the ropes. I say this also figures into the end of the match as Bret realises that the sharpshooter is now too dangerous to put on as there's a good chance Benoit will counter so he must find another way to put it on. And as we all know, he does.

Some other things I love about this match(in no paricular order)-

1)Watch the bit where Benoit hits Hart's hand during the 2nd mercy fight. He uses the trust built up from the first mercy fight to get an advantage from the second one

2)Bret's working on Benoit's back which saves him in the end as Benoit goes for his 2nd northern lights suplex but Bret counters by just pounding away on Benoit's exposed back. Man, I loved that spot.

3)Benoit beautifully playing to the fans by looking up at them when they were getting behind Bret. Nice subtle heelness by Benoit here and a change of heel/face in the match right when the crowd really wanted it. The match had Bret as a "heel" but when the fans wanted it differently Bret and Benoit responded well.

5)How the match started up as respectful, got a little brawlish as tempers started to pick up but than turned back into a scientific contest as each wrestler realised what they were truly good at. I liked how the 6/22/98 bout started off as well as their last Thunder bout. Each match started off as different according to situations at the time.

6)All the manuevers which looked great. There were no flaws in the execution of anything which falls into the charactors of both wrestlers. The match also doesn't have any instances where you're saying to yourself "Why the world did they do that?" Nothing looked out of place. Everything went from A to B to C flawlessly. The match also built well to a climax.

7)I liked all the transistions from offence to defence. Nicely done. Particulary stuff like Benoit rolling up Hart after countering his 2nd knee in the match into an innovative submission. Later on Hart in the match would use his own new found counter to elbow Benoit in the face at an important moment in the match. The irish whip into the guardrail was top notch too. Just the way they did it. Benoit nailing the older Hart into the rail getting the advantage only for Hart to counter Benoit big time into the rail because he was getting in trouble. Not only a nice, beautiful counter in a time of need for Hart but it worked on Benoit's back who just did such a great job of selling the back impact here.

8)Bret's facial expressions after Benoit's nip up. Priceless.

9)The struggle at the end when Bret and Benoit were going for their submissions. It just made the match all the more realistic and was an interesting variation of the All Japan struggle that they love to do for Tiger Drivers, powerbombs or whatever.

10) Like the review on deathvalleydriver said I liked Benoit with his "new modern" offence against Bret's "older school" tactics. I also liked the extra emphasis Bret put on his belly to back suplex(kind of like he was modernising), his elbow to Benoit's face and Benoit's modern counter to Bret's 2nd attempt at a knee to the stomach off the ropes by turning Bret's knee into a pinning predicament. Not a normal pinning predicament however as Benoit used Bret's momentum kicking out to put Bret into a wierd upright version of a boston crab. Each wrestler was bringing new stuff to the table in order to beat the other. Absolutely magnificant. I can only imagine how good this match would've been if it actually went the proposed hour. Hours are very tough to do but if anyone could do it these two could.

BENOIT vs 2 COLD SCORPIO WCW SUPERBRAWL

Well, I finally got the Benoit DVD which is quite a feat considering where I live at. Watched Benoit vs Scorpio for the first time in a long time and enjoyed it throughly. Than I decided to watch it in its original form and was amazed at how much more fun I had. 2 Cold's dancing, Benoit's entrance, Jesse and some extra Schiavone commentary and I think a "hotter" crowd. This was a great match with a great starting that showed how technical the two superstars were (remember they were doing different stuff than other wrestlers on the card) from the get go while still making sure that 2 Cold was the face. I've always liked matches that start like this and Benoit/Scorpio did a great job of keeping things interesting like say for example with 2 Cold's counter to the wristlock along the ropes. Than we got the middle portion of the match with Benoit beating down on 2 Cold with various offence. A few short chinlocks which were interesting because they only seemed to be there as an adaptation of North American wrestling. Benoit hits some high end offence with the powerbomb and the belly to back suplex which was big back than on and put over beautifully by Ventura who is so fun to hear as commentator because he's such a mark for Benoit. Scorpio finally get a comeback at the end and hits some nice offence to try to put away Benoit. (Benoit and Scorp were actually cut short by a mistimed clock during this match) Benoit goes for his finisher at the time - the dragon suplex only for Scorp to counter - only for Benoit to counter - only for Scorp to counter into a pinning predicament right at the 19:59 mark -- one second before time elapses. Although not known by everyone this was actually a cool finish for hardcore fans at the time becasue the house shows were always constantly going to 20 minute draws as seen by the PWI house show reports. Afterwards I believe they went to some draws too but the difference was Scorpio would win bouts here and there after Superbrawl. Overall a great match that Benoit and Scorpio timed perfectly for the finish. There really was 1 second left to go.

BENOIT vs 2 COLD SCORPIO WCW HANDHELD 1/15?/93

Obstructed view in this and it comes in at about the 12 minute mark but man oh man does this rule. This took place before Superbrawl and taking the logical guess that the beginning of this was about the same as Superbrawl I'd say I liked this match more as it had more intriguing counters and more action than the Superbrawl bout. You see a couple of the same sequences here that were in the Superbrawl match but by no means was this the same match as Superbrawl. The one thing Superbrawl had on this was more of an ending but I don't hold it against this match because the purpose of this was to go to the 20 minute mark to display how great these two wrestlers are. Neither could pin the other and it leaves a certain aura around the two after you're finished watching. They actually leave some high end offence in this such as the dragon suplex, top rope belly to back, powerbomb, Scorpio's tumbleweed and his 450 so this is kind of an unfinished match. If they had gone another 2 or 3 minutes and hit some of this stuff complete with an ending this could very well have been my favourite Benoit match of all time. I really wish I could see some of their matches after Superbrawl because they just may have done that since Scorpio was winning at least some of the bouts instead of the matches going to time limit draws. Bottom line here is that we have Benoit and Scorpio wrestling their heart out on a nontelevised show doing tons of fun counters and wrestling sequences. There is no taking a day off because cameras aren't there and when I see wrestlers doing that it makes me love this profession all the more.

I'd just like to mention that Combat Toyoda is my personal goddess and that I love the fuck out of that match. I think I wrote a longish review of that match somewhere. It's definately one of my favorite matches ever.

After watching the Warrior/Savage retirement match about a week ago i decided to watch another retirement match - Hulk Hogan v Kevin Nash from Road Wild 99. There is no comparison between the 2 matches, and the less said about this one the better. I will make a few points however:

Did Nash have any power in this company? He got squashed at the end of this thing with the regular Hulk-up/legdrop routine. I dont normally cringe during a wrestling match but this made me. And why was there not one shot of Nash after the 3 count? All they showed was Hogan celebrating with the belt and there was no focus on the supposedly retired Nash at all. This whole match was just horrible, as was pretty much the whole PPV.

Guest Real F'n Show

Which DVD is this on? I bought the Torn to Shreds DVD looking for this match, but then realized it was a barbed wire match between Kudo and "Shark" instead.

Guest wildpegasus

Sting vs Lord Steven Regal Great American Bash

This was a good, solid little match that was pretty fun. It goes a fair length of time and features Regal pitching and Sting catching for the most part. Nice counter here to the Stinger splash which I don't remember seeing before.