TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JMA

The One and Only JLU Season 1 Thread

I wonder if they'll acknowledge Supes' death at the hands of Doomsday, since that is a major event in Booster's history.

How so?

Booster Gold is the person that named the monster "Doomsday" and his best friend the Blue Beetle went into a coma after Doomsday destroyed him.

Guest JMA

Did anyone else catch "Fearful Symmetry" tonight?

Supergirl: What - do you go through my trash?

The Question: Please. I go through everyone's trash.

This was definitely the best line in this episode.

I loved The Question in this episode. He almost seemed to have Rorschach's paranoia, though. Having him be a conspiracy nut was an awesome idea.

I also liked how continuity from previous episodes of Batman Beyond, The Zeta Project, Superman, and Justice League were woven into the story.

Guest CronoT
Did anyone else catch "Fearful Symmetry" tonight?

Supergirl: What - do you go through my trash?

The Question: Please. I go through everyone's trash.

This was definitely the best line in this episode.

I loved The Question in this episode. He almost seemed to have Rorschach's paranoia, though. Having him be a conspiracy nut was an awesome idea.

I also liked how continuity from previous episodes of Batman Beyond, The Zeta Project, Superman, and Justice League were woven into the story.

Don't forget Static Shock. They mentioned meta-humans.

Also, The Question kicked ass. Kind of like a cross between Fox Mulder and Rod Serling.

Guest CronoT
Where exactly did the Superman gone renegade come from?

Superman once got brainwashed by Darkseid into thinking he landed on Apokolips instead of Earth. Then, Darkseid convinced him to go conquer Earth. Supes almost killed him for that.

Powergirl in a coma--I guess Starr Labs haven't quite completely cracked that Kryptonian DNA problem yet.

I'm not at all familiar with Powergirl, but I remember the clone Super"man" that appeared during the Death and Return era wasn't completely invulnerable, and seemed to have a weakness to fire.

Guest CronoT
You mean Bizzaro?

I can't believe I hadn't heard of The Question before tonight. Damn, he's a cool motherfucker.

I was hoping someone would ask me who Rod Serling was by now, but, oh well.

Yeah, The Question most definitely kicked ass. I can't wait to see him and/or Green Arrow again. The Supergirl cloning was really messed up. "The Conspiracy" that The Question was talking about reminded me of S.H.I.E.L.D., only evil.

Guest JMA
I'm not at all familiar with Powergirl, but I remember the clone Super"man" that appeared during the Death and Return era wasn't completely invulnerable, and seemed to have a weakness to fire.

You're thinking of Superboy AKA Kon-El/Conner Kent.

Edit: Looks like you already knew.

Guest JMA

For anyone who wants to know more about The Question...

The Question was originally a character created by Steve Ditko at Charlton Comics who first appeared in Blue Beetle vol. 1 #1 (June 1967) as a back-up character. He didn't last very long, given that Charlton shut down its superhero line fairly soon thereafter. Eventually DC got the rights to the Charlton stable of characters. He first appeared (briefly) in Crisis where it was revealed that the Charlton "universe" was another of the multiple Earths. That Earth was destroyed and/or merged with all the others (don't ask) and he got an all-new origin in The Question #1. In the comics, more or less in both versions, he is crusading reporter Vic Sage, who aided scientist Aristotle Roder. In return, Roder gave him the one-way "faceless" face mask, chemically treated clothing, and a gas that bonded the mask to his face and changed the color of his clothing and hair. As a reporter, he sought out the "truth" above all else, and at least at DC never really adopted the name of "The Question" so much as people called him that because they had nothing else to refer to him by. Under Ditko, the Question was a black-and-white "My way or no way," kinda guy based on Ditko's own embracing of Ayn Rand's objectivism philosophy. At DC, under famed writer Dennis O'Neil (and artist Denys Cowan), he became a philosopher & martial artist and fought mostly human opponents while rooting out corruption. The Question is the character upon which Rorschach of the Watchman graphic novel is based upon (see also below), and the conspiracy-obsession angle we see here seems to come from that character. This is his first appearance in the WB animated universe.

Credit: TV Tome

Guest JMA

Man, that was an awesome episode! It really was like a super-hero version of "The Zeppo" (a season three episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer).

All the heroes totally no-selling Booster Gold was great. We even had a Plastic Man reference and Elongated Man going on a rant. And who can forget the running "Green Lantern" joke?

What did everyone else think of tonight's episode?

Really enjoyed the episode. Booster Gold and Skeets were great and Tracy was hot.

I also took the time to list all the heroes that had a cameo in the episode.

Martian Manhunter

Wonder Woman

Batman

Superman

Captain Atom

Green Lantern

Hawk

Dove

Stars

STRIPE

Shining Knight

Fire

Ice

Dr Light

Aztek

Huntress

Vigilante

Elongated Man

Vibe

Supergirl

The Ray

Rocket Red

Thunderbolt

Atom Smasher

Crimson Avenger

Blue Devil

Wildcat

Starman

Dr. Mid-Nite

and Plastic Man was mentioned but not shown

Guest CronoT
Really enjoyed the episode. Booster Gold and Skeets were great and Tracy was hot.

I also took the time to list all the heroes that had a cameo in the episode.

Martian Manhunter

Wonder Woman

Batman

Superman

Captain Atom

Green Lantern

Hawk

Dove

Stars

STRIPE

Shining Knight

Fire

Ice

Dr Light

Aztek

Huntress

Vigilante

Elongated Man

Vibe

Supergirl

The Ray

Rocket Red

Thunderbolt

Atom Smasher

Crimson Avenger

Blue Devil

Wildcat

Starman

Dr. Mid-Nite

and Plastic Man was mentioned but not shown

By now we're going to have to start wondering if they're ever going to have Plastic Man on screen. Is there some kind of legal dispute over the character or something? I also remember that rather campy Plastic Man cartoon on TV when I was a kid, but I never really saw it on TV after about age 8 or 9.

Guest goatfish

Have they even had The Flash in an episode yet this season? I know they're trying to incorporate more characters in, seeing as it's unlimited and all, but they've had all the original members in at least oen episode except for him.

Guest JMA

Brilliant episode tonight! The Green Lantern Corps, many of Earth's heroes, and Lex Luthor!

Lex's portrayal was my favorite thing about this episode. He had the nobility that writers like Elliot S! Maggin wrote him as having. But he wasn't afraid to mock those he didn't like. Lex and the Atom also had surprisingly good chemistry together. And it was nice to see the producers didn't just forget about Lex's cancer or his vest.

But is the Red Tornado dead? I mean, Amazo cut him in half with heat vision and he exploded! I really hope he isn't gone for good.

Just an amazing episode!!! It was great to see Kyle Rayner since I have been waiting for him to appear forever. The Atom and Doctor Fate were potrayed beautifully. I wonder what Doctor Fate is up to with him gathering people that need guidance?

It sucks that this was the last new episode till November. However it looks like the next episode will be sweet with Bats, Supes, WW and Aquaman meeting the Ultimen,who as someone at the DC boards mentioned, happen to share a close resemblance to Black Vulcan, Samurai, Apache Chief and The Wonder Twins from "Super Friends"

Here is the heroes that came out this week

Martian Manhunter

Green Lantern

Superman

Wonder Woman

Flash

Supergirl

Steel

Atom

Doctor Fate

Captain Atom

Orion

Doctor Light

STRIPE

Starman

Fire

Red Tornado

Rocket Red

Ice

plus Kyle Rayner and the Green Lantern Corps

I totally marked out for the Kyle cameo and he looked badass, too. This episode was friggin' AWESOME with Amazo whipping 25 different kinds of ass and John Stewart getting all PO'ed and threatening to kill Fate along with Amazo.