TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Game Chatter

Farnsworth, who'd been struggling, threw his glove in the stands as he left the field following the six-run ninth that helped the Astros to a 15-7 victory.

Did the spectator throw it back?

Maybe the fan's blowing and Farnsworth's sucking will create some sort of vortex that sends old Kyle to parts unknown. Or Lansing, Michigan

Is it wrong that I found myself disappointed when Polanco hit a walk off homer, knowing that it would result in there being zero chance of Utley getting the starting job for the rest of the year now?

Yeah because now Larry Blowa will now have that as a reason to keep Utley from starting, the old "veteran leadership" excuse, the same reason why Doug Glanville is still on this team.

Heh, I saw the Farnsworth thing on ESPN as a blip, and I wondered "Maybe him being hurt is why he's been sucking lately." Then I read he just kicked a fan and hurt himself yesterday.

It's just so irritating though....the Braves have been bitchslapping the Giants this weekend, and what do the Cubs do? Job out two in a row to the Assssstros.

To the credit of the Stros, they've been playing much better the last two weeks. Beltran KILLS at Wrigley, Bagwell's been hitting like the Baggy of old since getting his latest cortisone shot, Berkman has been heating it up and Kent seems to have great career numbers against all of the Cub starters. Bad defense will also help out the opposition, too. Were it not for that embarrassing two-error play that scored THREE, the Cubs would've won today. At any rate, they should take the final game tomorrow and split the series.

I actually thought that was pretty funny. And, to be fair, the last out he got in the 8th was when there were 2 men on, so he was facing the potential tying run.

Is it wrong that I found myself disappointed when Polanco hit a walk off homer, knowing that it would result in there being zero chance of Utley getting the starting job for the rest of the year now?

Yeah because now Larry Blowa will now have that as a reason to keep Utley from starting, the old "veteran leadership" excuse, the same reason why Doug Glanville is still on this team.

Polanco is hot right now, hitting 302/340/547 in August. He's not a worthless veteran, like Doug Glanville. He's 28, and fully capable of beating Chase Utley in a fair fight for the starting role. It's amazing that the entire infield group of David Bell, Placido Polanco, Jimmy Rollins, and Chase Utley are all hitting extremely well.

Polanco is likely gone via free agency anyway this offseason. He'd be a useful player for a team looking for a cheap solution at shortstop.

Guest Anglesault
I actually thought that was pretty funny. And, to be fair, the last out he got in the 8th was when there were 2 men on, so he was facing the potential tying run.

Exactly. If they would have brought Proctor in, had him give up his four runs, everything could have changed.

And Tim, I'm reading an article from the TO Globe and Mail. Is that paper considered legitimtate or is it kind of like the NY Post here? Because there is an uncalled for attack on Bernie Williams of all people in their game article.

Guest Anglesault
Can you provide a link?

Here.

In case anyone needed reminding, centre fielder Bernie Williams couldn't throw a scrunched up scrap of paper into a waste paper basket at five paces.

So when Carlos Delgado hit a popup to shallow centre in the first inning, there was no hesitation in sending Orlando Hudson from third.

The sacrifice fly gave Delgado 72 runs batted in for a season that has been far from his best. Yet his RBI total in his 97th game _ he was on the disabled list for more than a month with a rib-cage injury _ is only four RBIs behind the acclaimed shortstop-turned-third baseman Rodriguez has from 124 games.

Hudson was able to score on a throw that was up the third-base line. He singled with one out, stole second and took third on a wild pitch on ball four to Vernon Wells. Delgado lofted the ball to the right person in the outfield.

Reed Johnson's two-out double scored two in the second to put the Blue Jays ahead 3-0. Williams missed the cut-off man on the hit that scored Gregg Zaun who had doubled with one out and Chris Woodward who had walked with two out.

Two walks and a single set up Zaun's sacrifice fly to _ where else? _ centre in the third that gave the Blue Jays a 4-0 lead.

A-Rod gets it a little for no real reason either, but I have NO idea why this guy felt the pressing need to make fun of Bernie Williams throwing arm. yes, he's right, but it had zero bearing on the game in the end and is so far away from being the most important part of this game.

He was probably just frustrated since the Jays got mauled. That, or he holds some grudge against Williams, but this is all just speculation. Like I said, I hardly read the Globe. If you want to read some Yankee cock-sucking, though, there'll probably be an article or 2 in tomorrow's Star.

What a waste of space. First off, RBIs are an entirely useless statistic. So Carlos Delgado has almost as many RBIs as Alex Rodriguez? Delgado's hitting .233 with runners in scoring position. It doesn't mean a damned thing. A-Rod has Delgado trashed in just about every offensive category.

Second, Bernie's got a bad arm. The sad state of today's sports journalism is that they tend to focus on what a player CAN'T do, rather than what they CAN do.

Guest Anglesault
Second, Bernie's got a bad arm. The sad state of today's sports journalism is that they tend to focus on what a player CAN'T do, rather than what they CAN do.

If Bernie's bad arm cost them the game, made it close, or even did anything out of the ordinary (someone scoring on a fly ball isn't ground breaking, it's happened to guys with good arms.) it might have some relevant point.

I'll never deny that Bernie has a bad arm. How that was one of the key points of that game is what I don't understand.

The whole article just seems like the guy got pissed that the Jays were killed and decided to make himself feel better by ripping on the Yanks.

Is it official that your bullpen sucks when your second baseman fares better on the mound than your most experienced reliever?

(I know they weren't trying against Menechino, but I'm positive that he'd still have done better than Ligtenberg, Chulk, Frasor, Speier or any of the stiffs the Jays have out there now.)

Mark Mulder today: three strikeouts, six walks.

Last seven starts: 20 strikeouts, 26 walks.

But he's in line for the win (6-4 in the 6th) and he'd improve to 5-1 during those starts. Luckiest pitcher in baseball right now. He has no business even being discussed for the Cy Young but not that those idiot baseball writers notice anything beyond the win column.

On the other side of the coin Eric Chavez is quietly having an amazing year but no one is noticing because of those 33 games missed due to a broken wrist. If he isn't hit by that pitch he might have made a run at the MVP.

Guest Anglesault

If I didn't have faith in the schedule pulling us away from Boston, I'd be irritated right now.

Because the Yankees couldn't be bothered in the Angels and Twins series, they've really lost the luxary of the occasional loss to a bad team. They should have swept both series, and the fact that they didn't is looming lkarge.

Because the Yankees couldn't be bothered in the Angels and Twins series, they've really lost the luxary of the occasional loss to a bad team. They should have swept both series, and the fact that they didn't is looming lkarge.

C'mon now. They should have swept two series against playoff contenders?

Because they're the all powerful YANKEES~! of course!

Seriously, I'd be VERY worried about their starting pitching right now. Their bullpen has been keeping their heads above water, but they can't overuse them and tire them out before the postseason arrives. And they don't have a pitcher like Pettite anymore that you can point to after a loss in the playoffs and say "ok, he's on the hill next game, so I think we'll be ok."

Those upcoming six meetings with Boston have become more meaningful than they did no less than 3 weeks ago.

Guest Anglesault

C'mon now. They should have swept two series against playoff contenders?

Cleveland and Toronto are contenders?

Guest Anglesault

I was saying that the total non effort in the Angel/Twin series, combined with the Red hot Red Sox probably necessitated a sweep to keep pace/gain ground. The Yankees lost two games they had in the bag and lost ground again.

Winning two out of three is just great until the team behind you wins three of three.

Barry Bonds is just ridiculous. I can't stand how much they talk about him, but damned if he isn't amazing. I haven't been watching the game, but I've flipped over twice just in enough time to see Bonds blast a pair of two-run shots. Games like this are just proof of how horrible the Giants would be without Bonds.

Guest Anglesault

Yes, he's up to 696 or something. He'll get 700 by saturday. It's all very exciting. In fact, I just did a cartwheel for the first time in years. I can hardly contain myself.