TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kahran Ramsus

Protestor ruins Olympic Marathon

I don't know if anybody just got done watching the marathon, but one of the worst incidents in Olympic event history occurred when a protestor attacked the lead runner from Brazil when he was dominating the race and basically cost him the gold. This is a terrible way to end the Games.

They can't. In a sprint sure, but a marathon is too tough to run twice in succession. It takes a couple of weeks to recover from one.

They should just give him a second gold. Only way I can see them solving this.

They can't. In a sprint sure, but a marathon is too tough to run twice in succession. It takes a couple of weeks to recover from one.

They should just give him a second gold. Only way I can see them solving this.

I was just kidding. :)

They wouldn't even start the hurdles over when a hurdler got knocked down by someone in the other lane.

Guest D'Lo White

Damn, that protester has some nasty legs.

The runner didn't seem to care that much when he entered the stadium for the final lap he looked pretty happy to get third place. It probably didn't cost him the race.

I'm not sure it was necessarily a protestor or just some nut case.

capt.olyrun80308291734.greece_olympics_marathon_olyrun803.jpg

What do the Scottish have against Brazil?

It was both. After the race, they stated it was in fact a protestor and they read the sign that he had on his back. Something about Israeli..

But I doubt it cost him the race, as they just said...he was already being gained on very quickly, and that just helped. But the point remains..the two guys behind him were speeding up, whereas he was losing speed already, and blown up. (But who wouldn't be)

And he was happy, so I guess it's all good.

I bet if the Brit had passed him to get the bronze, then there'd be more controversy than there currently is. As it is, he got a medal thankfully. I also think he'd have been passed anyway, without the protestor...if not by both then by at least one.

Too bad this wasn't Beijing. The Chinese would know how to deal with him.

Indeed.

Guest Evolution

He was pushed out of the race for about 10 seconds, but he'll get a sportsmanship medal even though this retarded white guy pushed him out of the race.

Guest Vitamin X

I sympathize greatly for the Brazilian guy, I think it's at 22 miles when your body burns all available sugar and marathoners "hit the wall" and run the last 4 miles on basically guts and determination. Notice how the Brazilian wasn't even able to step aside and make the guy miss or shove him away?

I heard that in the Grand Prix he jumped onto the track making a similar statement on the back of his shirt, but with cars racing around him at 230 mph. If I were racing there I probably would have taken a good lick at him. Fucking moron.

Guest Evolution
I heard that in the Grand Prix he jumped onto the track making a similar statement on the back of his shirt, but with cars racing around him at 230 mph. If I were racing there I probably would have taken a good lick at him. Fucking moron.

Yeah, they showed footage of that when NBC when they talked about him, describing him as a "mentally impared" Irish priest/former priest.

What a weirdo.

It was lucky the old guy int he blue shirt jumped in to save him, because the police were nowhere to be seen. Well, they were actually. They were on their bikes a good way away, watching.

So anyway, technically, would this count as an assault or what? There must be some sort of term and punishment for physically disrupting a sporting event.

Guest Nanks

If this guy had attacked an American there would be fucking uproar. The guy probably would've been shot then and there. It's odd though, this guy could just as easily been some kind of terrorist/suicide bomber but no sign of the much talked about "anti-terrorism" security forces.

Guest Anglesault
It's odd though, this guy could just as easily been some kind of terrorist/suicide bomber but no sign of the much talked about "anti-terrorism" security forces.

That's what I was thinking. Didn't a Canadian jump into a pool a couple weeks ago or something? Nothing awful has happened, but the crowd control really kind of sucks.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5867717/

Brazil to appeal men's marathon results

Attack on de Lima at end of race prompts officials to cry foul

Brazil runner Vanderlei de Lima was attacked during the final stretch of the men's marathon on Sunday, prompting Brazil officials to plan an appeal on the result.

ATHENS, Greece - Brazilian sports officials blamed inadequate course security for a defrocked priest’s bizarre attack on the Olympic marathon leader, and said Monday they will appeal to world track authorities for a duplicate gold medal.

The criticism of Athens Olympic organizers, who have been praised for their overall security, came as former priest Cornelius Horan was given a one-year suspended sentence. Horan also was fined $3,600 and warned to stay out of trouble in Greece for the next three years.

Carlos Arthur Nuzman, president of the Brazilian Olympic Committee, said marathoner Vanderlei de Lima should have been better guarded as he ran ahead of the field with about three miles to go Sunday night on the closing day of the Olympics. Horan jumped from the crowd and grabbed de Lima, knocking him into roadside spectators. De Lima continued running, but soon lost his lead and finished third.

“It’s a big mistake. The moment you have a leader, you need to have two motorcycles together protecting him,” Nuzman said. “The athlete cannot pay for such a mistake.”

Athens Olympic organizers could not immediately be reached for comment.

Roberto Gesta de Melo, head of the Brazilian track federation, said an appeal will be filed in about a week with the International Association of Athletics Federations seeking a gold medal for de Lima. An IAAF race jury rejected a similar appeal Sunday night, saying it sympathized with the Brazilian but could not change the result.

“It’s something not usual, of course, but some decisions have been done like that before,” de Melo said, referring to the request for a duplicate gold medal. “I think it would be a gesture of fair play.”

Brazilian officials emphasized they have no intention of taking medals away from champion Stefano Baldini of Italy or runner-up Meb Keflezighi of the United States. They said they will appeal to the Swiss-based Court of Arbitration for Sport if the IAAF does not agree to the second gold medal.

Horan has a history of disrupting sports events and was convicted by a three-member misdemeanor court of violating Greece’s laws on extracurricular sports, which usually are used for soccer hooligans. He was expected to return home to London.

Horan, 57, was wearing a green beret, red kilt and knee-high green socks when he pushed de Lima. The former priest had a piece of paper attached to his back bearing the message: “The Grand Prix Priest Israel Fulfillment of Prophecy Says the Bible.”

Horan, in a costume similar to Sunday’s, ran onto the track at the British Grand Prix last year and stayed there for more than 20 seconds, forcing Formula One racers traveling at more than 200 mph to swerve around him. He was carrying a sign that said: “Read the Bible — the Bible is always right.”

British authorities said Horan also attempted a protest on Wimbledon’s center court during a rain break, and tried to disrupt cricket and rugby matches.

De Lima said he might have won the gold medal if Horan hadn’t grabbed him. Though the Brazilian harbors no resentment toward Horan, he said the suspended sentence may not be enough to deter the former priest from future antics.

“This means he will probably do this again and get killed, as in Formula One, or kill someone,” de Lima said.

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Guest SP-1

I wonder what that sign says in full.

Somehow I have a feeling it's inaccurate or stupid. :(

I wonder what that sign says in full.

Somehow I have a feeling it's inaccurate or stupid. :(

Are you expecting accuracy from a moron who runs onto the track during an F1 race?

Guest Staravenger
Are you expecting accuracy from a moron who runs onto the track during an F1 race?

Can you get arrested for beating up the retarded?