TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheOriginalOrangeGoblin

OaO Fantasy Football Advice Thread

Guest El Satanico

I'm stuck with Jerome Bettis and I want to get rid of him, but there's no FA RB that stands out.

Out of these top 10 FA RBs(based on fantasy points) are any worth picking up?

R. Lee (Dal - RB)

D. Rhodes (Ind - RB)

K. Watson (Cin - RB)

B. Hoover (Car - RB)

J. Scobey (Ari - RB)

R. Smart (Car - RB)

T. Jackson (SF - RB)

M. Strong (Sea - RB)

C. Morton (Was - RB)

T. Fisher (GB - RB)

Does anyone have a good secret RB that most people wouldn't look at twice at this point in the season?

Guest El Satanico
Does your league count return yds. for points?

Yes, 30 return yards per point and 6 points for return TD.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Dominic Rhodes might be worth your time if you're really hurting for a guy for your bench.

In that case, I'd consider Chad Morton (WAS) or Dominic Rhodes (IND) as a pickup. Morton returns kicks and punts and usually grabs about anywhere from 75 to 150 yards a game off of returns. Rhodes also returns kicks, but he's also the primary backup behind Edgerrin James and he does have the track record (1104 yards in 2001) to be a capable fill-in if something happens to Edge.

Guest El Satanico

So Chad Morton gets points consistantly, but Rhodes has more upside. I have Edge as one of my starting RBs, so that gives Rhodes another point.

Whoever replaces Bettis will join Julius Jones as my backup RBs. Since there's no telling what if any value Jones will have, who would be the better bye week starter barring injury to James.

A lot of it depends on the matchups on that given bye week. If Washington is playing a super-high-powered offense like Minnesota, you can figure that Morton's going to return a lot of kicks. It also depends on who your other starting RB is; obviously, Rhodes can't fill in for James on a bye week (since they're on the same team).

All things considered, I think I'd grab Rhodes as a handcuff to James and just ride out Julius Jones - even though the RB situation in Dallas is currently a disaster, Jones should eventually emerge and at least be capable as a bye-week starter. On top of that, Rhodes may still yet get an occasional goal-line carry or touch throughout the game to spell James, which could give him even more value on top of his return skills.

I have come to the conclusion that all WRs from the teams in California are not good fantasy football players. The Raiders spread the ball the same way the Pats do and you never know who will get the 100 yard game. The Chargers only give the ball to LT or Gates. The 49ers has everybody on the Brandon Lloyd bandwagon but he has not lived up to his hype yet.

Well, the QB disaster in San Diego essentially ruined the potential upside (if there was any to begin with) of the Chargers receivers. The Raiders have three wide receivers that they can hit on a consistent basis (Porter, Gabriel, Rice), so I'm still holding onto hope that some semblance of consistency will emerge from Norv Turner's brain. As for San Francisco...er...well, the Giants are still in the wild card race!

Guest goatfish

Quick Question, I play in a league where there is a 2 QB starter requirement. I have Vick and Trent Green. My backup is Bledsoe, and I want to dump him because I think he's going to die on the field this year. The only QB's on the waiver wire are Miami's duo, Rex Grossman, the Giants duo, Chris Simms, and Drew Brees. Should I stick with Bledsoe, or dump him and grab one of the QB's mentioned above? Thanks in advance to any advice I get.

Guest Crazy Dan

I agree, stay with Bledsoe as your backup. It appears your league is fairly picked clean. And with Bledsoe you have a replacement when your QB's have bye... not that is saying much, but he will have to do for the time being.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Priest Holmes is a cap hit for me after this season so I'm going to try and get Shaun Alexander for him.

Edit: The managers in the other league where I really ripped the one guy off are quite pissed since the balance of power has completely shifted to my team since I gave away nothing and got Brady, Roy Williams and the New England defense.

So Chad Morton gets points consistantly, but Rhodes has more upside. I have Edge as one of my starting RBs, so that gives Rhodes another point.

Whoever replaces Bettis will join Julius Jones as my backup RBs. Since there's no telling what if any value Jones will have, who would be the better bye week starter barring injury to James.

Looks like Edgerrin is doubtful for this week (hamstring). You might want to snatch up Rhodes quick.

Guest El Satanico

Looks like Edgerrin is doubtful for this week (hamstring). You might want to snatch up Rhodes quick.

I picked him shortly after we were talking about it. I don't need to worry about bye weeks until week 6 and if I need Chad Morton he will likely still be a FA.

The bad thing is that I have Jamal Lewis and Edge and both have their byes in week 6. However, this league only requires one RB and the other RB spot is WR/RB, so I still only need to replace one RB.

OK, shitty QB dilemma.

My QB's suck for my cosg.net league, so I need advice on picking my poison.

Rich Gannon

Ben Rothlisburger

Patrick Ramsey

Gannon will probrably be up and down all year, depending on what defense he is up against. Rothlisburger will have the chance to shine in Pitt, but his own linemen are questioning whether he can get the job done. Ramsey has the best potential of all 3 IMO, but is he still shaken by his 3 INT's from last sunday.

Who is the less shittiest of these 3?

OK, shitty QB dilemma.

Rich Gannon

Ben Rothlisburger

Patrick Ramsey

Gannon will probrably be up and down all year, depending on what defense he is up against. Rothlisburger will have the chance to shine in Pitt, but his own linemen are questioning whether he can get the job done. Ramsey has the best potential of all 3 IMO, but is he still shaken by his 3 INT's from last sunday.

Who is the less shittiest of these 3?

All 3 have poor Strength of Schedules for Week 3. I'd start Gannon just because he currently ranks 9th amongst QB's in total FP(using 4 per TD and 1/25 scoring). Ramsey will be facing a tough and blitz heavy Cowboys defense while Roethlisberger will be facing the same from the Dolphins D which is still solid. Either way, you better pray the rest of your team explodes.

Actually I just checked and my team is up against a team that hasn't activated it's roster yet, so free win there, but I still need points from my players.

I've got great news for you - I activated my roster today (just joined) so, unless I missed some deadline, you'll be playing against the full squad this week.

That being said...

Rich Gannon

Ben Rothlisburger

Patrick Ramsey

All right, we can look at this a couple of different ways:

SHORT TERM (this week)

All three QBs are starting, but all three have less than favorable matchups. Ramsey will likely take over for Brunell, but he gets the Cowboys' secondary to deal with and, other than Coles, his options are very mediocre (Portis won't be a factor, I wouldn't bank on Cooley, and Gardner is merely serviceable). Roethlisberger, however, has plenty of guys to throw to in Pittsburgh, but he's a rookie (you can hear Cowher tearing pages out of the playbook) who draws Miami's D as his first start. Gannon has had the best statistical performance of the three, by virtue of actually having playing time, but he faces Tampa Bay, who still have a very intimidating pass defense.

Overall, all three guys are pretty lousy plays this week. But, while Ramsey and Roethlisberger's team will be looking to establish the run, Gannon and the Raiders have no running game to rely on, which means more attempts for Gannon. I'd give him the start this week.

LONG TERM

All three guys are looking at competition for playing time (if Maddox comes back), but Roethlisberger could emerge as your better option for the long haul, just by virtue of having Ward, Burress, Randle El, and Staley to throw to. The odd man out is Patrick Ramsey, who didn't exactly light the world on fire with his quarterback play last week and struggled with turnovers last year (9/8 TD to INT ratio). If anybody's willing to bite on Ramsey, I'd try to move him and attempt to sell based on the future of the Redskins offense...whatever that may be.

Guest Crazy Dan

I need some advice on what three WR I should start.

My WR are TO (which is starting), Jimmy Smith, Caldwell (SD), Javon Walker, Koen Robinson.

I am leaning towards Robinson, who plays a weak pass defense and Walker, but I would like some opinions on who you think might be good to start.

Also, should I start Tiki Barber or Emmit Smith at RB (RB's are my weakness)

Any help will be appreciated.

Guest El Satanico

Javon Walker, Koren Robinson.

Other than TO, those are currently your best WRs and both have favorable matchups.

Tiki Barber

You have a better chance with him.

Recently for in the WDI league, I got Suggs and R. Johnson joining my team for running backs. They'll be joining Brian Westbrook, so now I've got depth at runningback. Hopefully.

You also have a bye week problem.

Rudi Johnson and Brian Westbrook have the same bye week.

*finds that to be true*

AW FUCKER...

I totally forget to check for bye weeks. FUCK.

:) I just noticed something about my TSM Keeper League Team.

I have only two weeks to worry about. Week 4 coming up and week 10 (or was it 9?). Other than that, I'm bye week free (with the exception of ONE player).

So I get to play a full team between Week 4-17, for 14 weeks (if you take out week 15-17 as they are playoff weeks, then 11 weeks).

:headbang: I have to say, I think I love how that works out for me.

Oh and if you had the choice of starting Caldwell vs. Lelie, Keyshawn and Rod Smith, who would you take out? I'm expecting Caldwell to produce another 60 + TD which is on par with everyone else.

Edited by Lightning Flik

Javon Walker, Koren Robinson.

Other than TO, those are currently your best WRs and both have favorable matchups.

Tiki Barber

You have a better chance with him.

What he said.

Emmitt draws a revitalized Falcons run D with no passing attack to keep them honest, Caldwell gets to dance with Champ Bailey this week, and the Jacksonville offense still hasn't picked it up, leaving Jimmy Smith on the outside as well. The only concern with Barber is the possibility of Dayne snatching up the goal-line carries.

Oh and if you had the choice of starting Caldwell vs. Lelie, Keyshawn and Rod Smith, who would you take out? I'm expecting Caldwell to produce another 60 + TD which is on par with everyone else.

Pass on Caldwell - Brees fell back to earth last week and he'll be on a short leash anyway. Plus that Champ Bailey guy, who'll be smothering Caldwell because there's virtually no other WR threat on the squad.

Smith & Lelie draw a nice matchup against the Chargers and either of them would make a better play than Caldwell, provided Plummer throws all of his passes with the correct arm this week. I'd personally lean toward Smith if I had to pick one, especially if the league scored return yards to the player, rather than the team.

Johnson may not be a bad play in a league that counts receptions, but I'm not sure I'd expect anything more than yardage out of Keyshawn this week.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT start Ben Roethlisberger this weekend.

Not only is it his first career start against a solid defense, he's also going to be throwing straight into a fucking hurricane (the NFL didn't reschedule the game). That doesn't bode well for the rook.

You gotta give me some form of optimism man. He's the only backup QB I have with Brady out for the week. I mean, I still have Peyton Manning alongside him, but he shouldn't be TOO bad. Every other starting QB is taken.

Guest El Satanico

Well no one in their right mind would start him in his first full game, unless they were desperate.

For those desperate people, I don't think all hope is lost for him, but keep your expectations low.

Pass on Caldwell - Brees fell back to earth last week and he'll be on a short leash anyway. Plus that Champ Bailey guy, who'll be smothering Caldwell because there's virtually no other WR threat on the squad.

Smith & Lelie draw a nice matchup against the Chargers and either of them would make a better play than Caldwell, provided Plummer throws all of his passes with the correct arm this week. I'd personally lean toward Smith if I had to pick one, especially if the league scored return yards to the player, rather than the team.

Johnson may not be a bad play in a league that counts receptions, but I'm not sure I'd expect anything more than yardage out of Keyshawn this week.

Actually, reason why I was asking abuot Caldwell vs. everyone else, is because that is my wideouts currently.

Yes, I know that for a core group sucks mightly, but they are who I depend on currently. Hence why I wished to know if Caldwell was worth replacing Lelie, Smith or Johnson.

:) Hopefully they'll make some magic happen. I'd like to be 2-1 after this week in TSM Keeper League (God I'm wishing there).

Also after week 4, I've got all three of my running backs playing, although, it'll still be Griffin and Martin as my primaries in week 5, till I see what Bennett does.

But since Martin, Bennett and Griffin are on full schedule with me for the remainder of the fantasy season, should I at some point see if I can make a deal down the road for a more capable receiver?