TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Hopkins Vs. De La Hoya

Possibly the biggest fight since Lewis/Tyson.

I'm sorry but things werent looking good for Oscar De La Hoya. Espically after his middleweight fight againest Felix Strum, where most people had Strum winning the fight.

Some people compare this fight to Leonard-Hagler, saying De La Hoya has a chance because of Leonard's upset. I think thats just stupid.

As said by the man Sugar Ray Leonard himself...

"I saw that John "The Beast" Mugabi, a guy who was a great slugger and great puncher, was outboxing Marvin," Leonard said. "I knew I was a better boxer than John Mugabi. I felt if he could outbox him, so could I. Marvin was one dimensional in the sense that he could never really deal with boxers. All guys who could box gave him fits.

"(Roberto) Duran boxed him and Marvin had a hell of a time with him. Even when he fought Tommy (Hearns), once Tommy got hurt and he started to box, he was winning. Boxers were Marvin's weakness."

Leonard said the same is not true of Hopkins. Leonard said Hopkins hasn't displayed the problems with boxers that Hagler did.

Hopkins should be able to adjust if De La Hoya tries to use his speed and quickness to confuse him, Leonard said.

"Bernard is a totally different type of fighter than Marvin," Leonard said. "Hopkins can box or punch, slug or counter. He can do a lot of things. He's tall, he's a big, strong man and he understands the game very well."

www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2004/Sep-14-Tue-2004/sports/24759924.html

I think Hopkins will give De La Hoya a bad beating.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

De La Hoya looked like crap against Felix Strum. The only reason why he was GIVEN the fight was because it would lead to this fight with Hopkins.

My prediction: Benard Hopkins by TKO in the 11th.

De La Hoya doesn't have enough power at middleweight. He didn't even hurt Felix Strum.

He wont even stun Hopkins. If Roy Jones couldn't even stun Hopkins at middleweight, De La Hoya wont.

Guest Staravenger
Man that opening round fight was over quick. White guy (possilbly Latino) got knocked the fuck out. Didn't catch names.

This isn't unusual. Unknown fighters who just started their professional career usually lose in the first round or two (to each other usually). A Few weeks ago I saw a fight that ended in 8 SECONDS on some crappy CSS channel.

Juan Manuel Marquez w12 Orlando Salido...retains WBA/IBF featherweight championship...

It would be awesome to see Marquez rematch with Manny Pacquiao, right around the time of the Barrera-Morales rubbermatch. Im pretty sure Erik and PacMan would win those fights...and a fight between those two would be absolutely epic.

It's over.

Hopkins "Knocked him out"

Yeah, it was a clean body shot ;) Weird...

What sucks is that he stopped both Trinidad and De La Hoya, yet people still won't give him the respect he deserves.

A rematch with Roy is possible, and still very lucrative...

Also, if Trinidad beats Mayorga in his comeback in a couple weeks, a Tito-Hopkins rematch would draw.

For the Canadians that missed it, TSN is showing the fight along with a Roy Jones fight on Saturday at 10:15 pm est.

HBO is doing the same thing, of course...

With this win, I am now seriously considering including Bernard Hopkins in the short list of the best fighters of all time...any other opinions here on Bernard's all-time status?

How far apart are Bernard Hopkins and Antonio Tarver in weight? I would much rather see that then Hopkins/Jones Jr. They could bill it against the best pound for pound fighter vs. The man who knocked out Roy Jones Jr with one perfect punch.

As far as De La Hoya, he made 30 million to move up drastically in weight and take a fight he probably had no business fighting. Methinks boxing fans were duped.

With this win, I am now seriously considering including Bernard Hopkins in the short list of the best fighters of all time...any other opinions here on Bernard's all-time status?

I'd place him in the top 5 of middleweights, all time. He's certainly better than Carlos Monzon, and he just might be better than Marvin Hagler.

As far as De La Hoya, he made 30 million to move up drastically in weight and take a fight he probably had no business fighting. Methinks boxing fans were duped.

Not at all. I didn't shell out for the fight, but if I had, it wouldn't be in the hopes of seeing a competitive fight. It would be to watch a Philly boy beat the crap out of that pretty boy. And while I didn't get the broken nose I was hoping for, this works.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

A liver shot like that would hurt way worse than a broken nose. Great look of agony.

What will be the next big fight for Hopkins?  Is there any big money fights for him?

According to what he said on Cold Pizza this morning, Hopkins made a promise to a dying relative(?) that he won't fight past the age of 40. With the remaining time he has left, the two opponents he's requested are Trinidad and Jones.