TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNope

RAW Rating

http://www.prowrestling.com/news.php?id=11861/articles/news

The 'season premiere' of WWE RAW scored a 3.7 rating, up from last week's 3.6, according to Nielsen Media Research. Considering the post-PPV audience last Monday was exposed to the tease for Vince's big announcement, as well as the Lita-Kane-Snitsky incident, most critics do not feel this rating was successful.

In WWE's favor, however, CBS launched its new season of Monday night shows, which all performed well.

Nontheless, Vince's announcements have traditionally sparked ratings, at least to a certain extent, so the tiny increase was not desirable, nor what WWE was expecting.

Not too shabby.

When was the last time they hit 4.0 or above?

Guest Evolution
In WWE's favor, however, CBS launched its new season of Monday night shows, which all performed well.

I don't understand.

How does this benefit the WWE?

Guest Brian

He's done better since they took the title off him, since it's given a motivation to him that he can't really have with the title and he has a level of credibility now, having beat Benoit and almost Triple H.

Is Randy Orton still a draw? :P

He's still top face.

...to WWE anyway.

He seem to be getting good pops to me.

Yes, but I'd say Orton's pops are, at the very least, behind HBK and Jericho.

Guest Sylvan Grenier

Orton gets Jeff Hardy heat, anyway. People with cocks don't cheer for Randy.

Guest Tjhe CyNick

I believe I read somwhere (pwinsider maybe) that the show did hours of 3.8 and 3.6, so if anything that shows that the fans really dont care about Orton as the top babyface, since the show lost viewers.

As for pops, they can only go so far. Hogan will get the biggest pop on any show, but that doesn't mean he can draw in terms of ratings or PPV buys.

I would throw Benoit and Eugene (depending on the city) on the list of guys who get bigger pops than Randal.

I believe I read somwhere (pwinsider maybe) that the show did hours of 3.8 and 3.6, so if anything that shows that the fans really dont care about Orton as the top babyface, since the show lost viewers. 

As for pops, they can only go so far.  Hogan will get the biggest pop on any show, but that doesn't mean he can draw in terms of ratings or PPV buys. 

I would throw Benoit and Eugene (depending on the city) on the list of guys who get bigger pops than Randal.

Benoit's pops were VERY selective...although his half-hearted push during the actual shows probably had a lot to do with it. Plus Eugene's pops have died down. He still gets cheered quite a bit, but I don't know about more than Randy...

It's hard to tell if you're not actually at the arena.

Orton gets Jeff Hardy heat, anyway. People with cocks don't cheer for Randy.

That's not true. :P I'm sure Patterson is a big fan of Randy...

Guest Super Pissed Smark

The ratings are actually interesting in that they haven't dropped with the start of MNF. Does this mean that the WWE is so far out of the mainstream now that there aren't any casual viewers left? If a 3.6 rating is around 5 million viewers in the cable universe today, and that's about a third of what the combined ratings for RAW and Nitro were back during their peak, so WWE has lost two thirds of the wrestling audience from a few years ago, but does anybody know how many million viewers they had ten years ago? I can find the ratings easy, but I'm not sure if a 2.2 rating back then is the same number of viewers as it would be now. In ten years you'd think that penetration of the cable networks would have grown and you might not be able to compare numbers directly, like you can't really do with PPV buyrates from way back and today. Just curious what the real base of viewers is today as compared to ten years ago and if the WWE is getting close to being right back where it started, before the Monday night wars and the wrestling boom.

And just who is this Randy Orton you're talkings about? Should I know him?

Guest Coffey

I actually think there should be a rule about rating threads being made. If it's mentioned in a news thread, that's great...but it's own thread? C'mon, it's not like it matters. The "Monday Night Wars" are over! The ratings don't mean SHIT anymore. The difference of .1 - .4 each week IS NOTHING TO CONVERSE OVER.

How does it affect us, as fans...at all? It doesn't, nor has it ever. If WWE panics because the ratings are low...it'll play out on camera anyway.

"Does this mean that the WWE is so far out of the mainstream now that there aren't any casual viewers left?"

I don't believe that is true. However, I've argued in the past that WWE is mainly being supported by the core audience and little else. Nothing they've been doing is either drawing in a lot of new viewers or driving them away.

It's curious that the times you'd expect ratings to drop are when they're picking up a little. I guess with fall starting more people are actually staying in and watching TV, which would perhaps offset casuals picking other things to watch.

However--it's also possible that Nielson just switched around some of their families, and perhaps that somehow is resulting in the slight differences, or part of it.

"People [ie: not WWE staff or networks] still care about ratings?"

In the long run, yes; it's interesting to see how a current direction for Raw is panning out as far as the viewership's interest. Week-by-week is kind of negligible, though.

Full ratings:

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=5396&p=1

This week's edition of Raw did a 3.7 cable rating, with a 5 share, according to Nielsen Media Research.  That is up from last week's 3.6.  In an occurrence that can't be encouraging to WWE, the show's peak quarter hour was a 4.0, and it occurred in the first segment.  On the whole, the show did hours of 3.8 and 3.6.  This clearly shows that Raw lost viewers as the show went on.

In other ratings news, Heat did a 0.9 cable rating, with a 1.5 share.

In its new time slot, Velocity did a 0.6 cable rating, with a 1.3 share.  It should be noted that it lost viewers from a "World's Wildest Police Videos" show that preceded it and did a 1.0.

The WWE Experience did a 0.5 cable rating, with a 1.3 share.

Guest TheLastBoyscout
Is Randy Orton still a draw? :P

He's still top face.

...to WWE anyway.

He seem to be getting good pops to me.

Yes, but I'd say Orton's pops are, at the very least, behind HBK and Jericho.

HBK, maybe. Jericho? That's debateble.

Big deal sid and eugene both got pops, but were ratings killers because they turned off the general fan. Pops mean nothing, hell Hogan got great pops in his comeback but the ratings sucked. Give me someone who brings in ratings over meaningless pops from an increasingly dorky, older and out of touch fan base any day.

The real rating to watch is SMACKDOWN.

PRAY it doesn't get a good rating. Else Hogan and Austin will have leverage and may RETURN!

The last thing we need is Stone Cold running out, hitting 10 stunners, yelling WHAT 20 times and then riding out on a unicycle.

Guest fanofcoils

Randy Orton is not over at all. This is easily seen when he walks down to the ring during his entrance where the crowd just sits with no reaction unlike other wrestlers such as Jericho, Cena, etc. This is also easily seen based on the rating for the final segment of last week's Raw when it was a handicap match. If Jericho, or Rockwas in a handicap match against Evolution for example, people would watch the math just to see them, even though they have no chance, this is not the case for Orton.

It is pathetic how after a week of realizing that Orton is not over, a few people come here and say Orton is or somewhat or whatever. Once again when Orton encounters HHH/Evolution, in a match with HHH/Evolution, or is in a promo about HHH/Evolution it will get a reaction because he is interacting with them. But when it is just Randy Orton there is no reaction as the uncharasmatic face Randy Orton.

Guest fanofcoils

Hmm, which main event entrance of Raw was more dead last week or this week, hmmm. Overall I say last week because it got no reaction whatsoever, this week you heard girls scream when the music sounded but after that no reaction at all.

So far I just don't like how Orton is being booked like Stone Cold against Evolution. It's the hardpush for him, and all it does is make Evolution look like fools who can't take out a guy they should know every detail about.

Guest fanofcoils

I think a petition should be started for Orton to not main event/face HHH at Wrestlemania