TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeSC

A Good Point from NRO

Guest MikeSC

I'll paraphrase here, but if you watched Bush's speech to the UN, you'd have noticed a lukewarm reception. Even Annan's wife barely applauded. Especially shocking considering what all Bush said, including an admission that the US sided with thugs and dictators in the past for the sake of stability and that Israel should stop the humiliation of Palestiniana (a belief I oppose heavily). Despite this, the body clearly didn't care (it didn't quite touch when P.M Begin of Israel spoke and the ONLY country in attendance was the US).

Why?

Because MANY of the states in the UN openly and actively oppose democratization.

So, the question asked is: Why would anybody boast of having the support of the world, considering how exceptionally illiberal and undemocratic a great deal of the world is? And, again, what is the point of the UN is freedom is rather low on the totem pole of what they care about?

-=Mike

Guest SideFXs

And Kerry is the man that would get us in bed with the U.N.

Anan recently spoke again of a world tax. Frightening. Can you imagine a time when America looses its sovereignty and bows to the whims of the U.N.?

There is no concern for person freedom, only a world ruled by a few elites.

The U.N. simply needs less seats, particularly on it's Security Council. If you really want shit to happen, make no seats permanent, go back to no vetos, watch shit get done.

As it is, nothing can get done without somebody else cancelling anyone out.

A world government isn't a bad idea, but the current U.N. is basically a very pretty podium with some seats.

Guest SP-1
A world government isn't a bad idea,

It's an incredibly bad idea. Instead of smaller countries with smaller dictatorships, you have one very large dictatorship eventually.

Individual Sovereignty, while it has it's inherent problems, is much the lesser enemy of freedom.

Guest Loss

I hate it, hate it, hate it, but I'm liking Bush more and more every day. I still don't know if I can bring myself to vote for him, but I'm slowly realizing that most of the allegations against him are unabashed crap.

Guest GreatOne

I don't know that I'm with Bush on the "Israel should stop the humilation of Palestine" bit either. I mean let's not cry Argentina for Palestine too much here.

Think the PLO is a peaceful organization? Try convincing Steve Kerr of that.

(For those that don't know, Malcolm Kerr (Steve's dad) was assassinated by the PLO in January 1984)

It's nice to see President Bush trying to make nice to the scumbags in the UN, by telling them things they want to hear like how admitting the US made mistakes and actually pandering to the Palestinians, but it's for naught because they don't want anything to do with him.

One problem with the UN General Assembly is that each nation gets a vote. It's pretty much a Senate.

Now, if you get proportional, you'd get the bigger nations and they could block some of the more blatant crap. Granted, they'd have to find a big room for such gatherings.

I'm sure the "UN is filled by evil dictatorships" line doesn't contradict the Bush ads hailing all the democracies in the world.

I can't see the veto being taken away though.

And, it's probably undercutting to speculate on how many people Ayad Allawi has killed, while in the Baath Party and afterwards.

I hate it, hate it, hate it, but I'm liking Bush more and more every day. I still don't know if I can bring myself to vote for him, but I'm slowly realizing that most of the allegations against him are unabashed crap.

If it's any consolation, I'm not voting for him either, but I generally like him and the job he's done, and I also realize the allegations against him are garbage. Everyday, my concerns about a very close election fall away a little more.

Now just don't tell W you're gay and it's all good... :P

This is the place for you.