TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

TNA Impact preview for 10/8/04

tourney.jpg

WORLD TITLE TOURNAMENT SCHEDULED FOR NEXT FRIDAY’S IMPACT!

PLUS, ROWDY RODDY PIPER’S IMPACT DEBUT!

Director of Authority Vince Russo has announced that next Friday on Impact on Fox Sports Net, a tournament will begin to determine who faces Jeff Jarrett at Victory Road for the NWA World Heavyweight Title.

The four superstars that will compete in the two-week tournament are Jeff Hardy, Abyss, Raven an The Alpha Male Monty Brown. The first two matches will take place next Friday (Alpha Male vs. Raven / Jeff Hardy vs. Abyss) with the winners advancing to the finals scheduled for the October 15 Impact broadcast.

In addition to the World Title Tournament, NWA legend “Rowdy” Roddy Piper will make his Impact debut! What will the Rowdy Scottsman have to say? Will it involve Victory Road? Tune in next Friday (October 8) to Impact to see the World Title Tournament and the TNA return of Roddy Piper!

Guest Staravenger

I guess Piper emptied the fridge if he's looking for work in TNA again.

Having a tournament is a good thing. Its nice to see the challengers earn the right to put Jarrett over at the big show. Its still baffling to me that TNA considers Hardy and Jarrett to be real main eventers.

Piper's going to show up and talk about God-knows-what. I'm serious, he's never had anything to say in TNA in the past, why should we care about watching him now? He's just going to do what he always does, which is rant and rave about things no one gives a shit about.

This is good news. Direction and making THE World Title mean something. It also makes people want to watch the show, due to the existence of competition. I also like the brackets, meaning we could have a Brown-Hardy final or a Raven-Hardy final or a Brown-Abyss final or a, heaven forbid a Raven-Abyss final. I think those are matches which would generate interest. Brown & Hardy have issues, I think they could play off the grungy theme of Raven & Hardy, the toughness of Brown & Abyss , or the history of Raven & Abyss. Whoever wins the tourney would be worthy of a title shot at THE World Title.

Shame they couldnt expand the tournament, I really liked the tag team one before Jarrett-Styles in the steel cage. They had a hot PPV the week before that. I think AJ Styles and Ron Killings could have been included, but Styles, Killings, Abyss and Raven (along with Harris) has been done before. TNA were doing well around that time, with Americas X Cup (although why Team UK couldnt be Jonny Storm, Burchill, Tighe and Fleisch is beyond me), the tag tourney, the road to the cage (which was anti-climatic, since the winner, Harris, was replaced byStyles, but a lot of intrigue) and a watchable X Division. This created interest.

Maybe I am nitpicking, but I would like the idea of the finals opening Road to Victory, then going on to face Jarrett. This makes it mean more, especially if its Raven (after having gone through Brown and then Abyss on the day). The losers, in my example being Brown and Hardy could duel it out for the Number One Contendership at Victory Road. This would mean 3 matches of 6-8 booked.

I dont mind Rowdy Roddy Piper, he generates interest.

But the focus of his appearance shouldnt be on him or just him making a major announcement. Nor should he wreslte if its a one night only thing. It should be to put somebody else over.

Imagine, he could bring Sean O'Haire with him, and manage him & Kenney in a team called Gaelic Pride! :lol: (Ken Shamrock could be a future member too!)

Guest Marty2Hotty

Sounds like a good show. I wish Impact was cleared here up north. TNA Impact would probably be the only "can't-miss" show. I mean, I don't even watch Smackdown or Raw at all now. I saw Big Show deliver a pretty good promo about No mercy where the camera zooms in on his face in the dark. I then saw JBL wrestle for about a minute before changing the channel and never going back.

Smells like shit to me.

Wow.

Of course, I'd probably buy it as well. If I had cable, that is. I'll do like I've always done with TNA, buy it hoping that it will live up to it's potential and then bitch and moan when it doesn't live up to it.