TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Yankees/Twins ALDS Thread

I loathe playing devil's advocate here, but let's put this all into perspective.

Not to discredit Santana's effort in Game 1, but there are far too many factors that indicate that this was a fluke.

Santana is a fly-ball pitcher, with an 0.93 GB/FB ratio. He "induced" (if you can even use such a term) fifteen double plays through the entire regular season; his stuff (fastball, hard slider, A+ changeup) does not predominantly create ground ball outs. On top of that, Santana didn't even have his best stuff, as he only struck out five in seven innings (compare against his obscene 10.46 K/9 numbers from the regular season).

It's not like the Yankees are a bunch of panty-waists with the sticks: New York was 17th in the major leagues with an offensive GB/FB ratio of 1.21. They were second in the league in runs scored (897), and it's hard to believe that those runs weren't generated by hits with runners on base.

If I were Joe Torre, would I be terribly worried? Not really. The odds of the Yankees grounding into five double plays in this postseason, let alone this series, again are very slim.

Sure, funny things happen in October. Funny things happen in May, too. Don't confuse the issue and say that "this isn't the regular season" and proclaim that we're now into "clutch playoff situations" - the only difference between a fluke in the playoffs and a fluke in the regular season is the sample size.

The Yankees have a legitimate shot with Lieber, who's pitched very well at home (11-3 with a 3.68 ERA at home), going up against another flyball pitcher in Brad Radke (1.13 GB/FB ratio). Radke's probably not going to strike out five in nine innings, let alone seven, so expect a lot of contact...and not as many double plays.

Oh I'll admit the Twins were lucky last night, getting all those double play balls with Santana not really having total command. But if there's indeed a next time, what if Santana does have his A game?

I would like to thank Johan Satana and the Twins. You have made me a HAPPY MAN! :D

All I ask is that the Yankees get destroyed by another small-market team... GO TWINS~!

And really, its not like the GP double plays were hit slowly. Jeter's, Bernies, and Posadas were all hit REALLY hard.

And I have faith in Lieber. I seem him stepping it up tonight.

Guest Anglesault
Santana didn't look unbeatable?

Anglesault, your new annual choking Yankees scored ZERO runs tonight.

Looks like he beat you.

You don't have to be unbeatable to win.

I look at it this way. The Yankees played with fire all year. There's chance they will get burned. And if losing in the first round to a team that's really not even close to their level knocks some sense into Yankee management for next year, some good could come form this.

That being said, the Yankees are the better team. Hopefully that starts to show.

Guest Anglesault

If Matsui isn't batting fourth tonight, I think the Yankees could lose the series. It's THAT important to put him up there right now. That lefty-lefty shit fucked them last night.

Tonights lineup should be:

1. Derek Jeter

2. Alex Rodriguez

3. Gary Sheffield

4. Hideki Matsui

5. Bernie Williams

6. Jorge Posada

7. John Olerud

8. Ruben Sierra

9. Miguel Cairo

Leiber should pitch well, it's a must win, and Matsui better not be batting sixth again. He hit Santana well yesterday.

Guest Anglesault
Tonights lineup should be:

1. Derek Jeter

2. Alex Rodriguez

3. Gary Sheffield

4. Hideki Matsui

5. Bernie Williams

6. Jorge Posada

7. John Olerud

8. Ruben Sierra

9. Miguel Cairo

Leiber should pitch well, it's a must win, and Matsui better not be batting sixth again. He hit Santana well yesterday.

I'd play Lofton over Rubes. Lofton has good numbers against Radke (who knows how old they are, though) plays well in October and plays the nine spot well. And I love Rubes off the bench.

I will be cheering for the Twins. I'm a fan of clubs who haven't won anything in a while (13 yrs), and they were in the second best World Series I have ever seen, behind ARZ/NYY. However, I won't cheer for the Red Sox, because the misery of their fans amuses me. So go Angels and Twins.

Guest Anglesault
I will be cheering for the Twins. I'm a fan of clubs who haven't won anything in a while (13 yrs), and they were in the second best World Series I have ever seen, behind ARZ/NYY. However, I won't cheer for the Red Sox, because the misery of their fans amuses me. So go Angels and Twins.

Be honest. You justw ant a rematch of the uber-boring 2002 ALCS.

I'd play Lofton over Rubes. Lofton has good numbers against Radke (who knows how old they are, though) plays well in October and plays the nine spot well. And I love Rubes off the bench.

If that's the case, about Lofton's numbers...

1. Derek Jeter

2. Alex Rodriguez

3. Gary Sheffield

4. Hidek Matsui

5. Bernie Williams

6. John Olerud

7. Jorge Posada

8. Miguel Cairo

9. Kenny Lofton.

Torre loves to put lefties in between switch hitters, and Lofton batting last would pretty much make him a leadoff man in a couple of innings with Jeter batting second. The lineup, also after the first 3 is left, switch, left, switch, right, left.

My god, did anybody see Steve Phillips on Sunday? He made quite possibilly the most biased and retarded comments of all time. He said that NO ONE beside Jeter scares him on the Yankees, and that they'd get swept.

And am I the only one who thinks Sheff got mad hot a month too early?

And am I the only annoyed Yankee fan who keeps hearing about this amazing Twins bullpen, EVEN THOUGH ESPN FAILS TO REALIZE THAT WE ALWAYS KILL THERE BULLPEN?

Guest Anglesault
My god, did anybody see Steve Phillips on Sunday? He made quite possibilly the most biased and retarded comments of all time. He said that NO ONE beside Jeter scares him on the

Well, objective number one (Scare Steve Phillips) is a bust.

This year has been a disaster. ;)

Guest GreatOne
I will be cheering for the Twins.  I'm a fan of clubs who haven't won anything in a while (13 yrs), and they were in the second best World Series I have ever seen, behind ARZ/NYY.  However, I won't cheer for the Red Sox, because the misery of their fans amuses me.  So go Angels and Twins.

Be honest. You justw ant a rematch of the uber-boring 2002 ALCS.

Oh come on, that was so great to watch the Angels clinch a trip to the World Series.

It was so great that I alternated between Raiders/Rams and Madden 03 :D

Guest Anglesault

Oh My God, Duque ended a bullpen early today. It looks like Vazquez will pitch game four.

yt5rt4u7

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

I'd play Ruban over Lofton. He has that extra pop that the Yanks need to deposit some runs.

Guest Anglesault
I'd play Ruban over Lofton. He has that extra pop that the Yanks need to deposit some runs.

Rubes is an insane PH. He kind of gets exposed by four ABs a game.

Guest GreatOne
I'd play Ruban over Lofton.  He has that extra pop that the Yanks need to deposit some runs.

Rubes is an insane PH. He kind of gets exposed by four ABs a game.

See 2002, anytime from July on...........

MiB stated...

Santana is a fly-ball pitcher, with an 0.93 GB/FB ratio. He "induced" (if you can even use such a term) fifteen double plays through the entire regular season; his stuff (fastball, hard slider, A+ changeup) does not predominantly create ground ball outs.

One quibble with that. Santana allowed the least baserunners in the league, so he also has less double play opportunities than any other pitcher.