TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Angels/Red Sox ALDS Thread

Guest Smues

Candidate zero needs to be shot and killed so we never have to see these commercials again.

We're wrapping up Day 2 of the postseason and so far, the two Twins/Yankees games have been the only interesting ones. This one was close for a while, but it's become yet another blowout. Joy.

I don't think the Sox need to go through the Yankees en route to a WS to "put the curse to rest"

I say win it however you f'king can

It's destiny. It shouldn't happen any other way, and you know Yankee fans will just get on the Red Sox about how they didn't beat them to get there.

Sorry to drag this up after a few pages but I have to give my two cents on this, because it's driving me nuts. I'm so freaking sick of people saying "they have to beat the Yankees for it to matter" ... how is everyone losing sight of the fact that if the Sox play the Twins, and win, then they're beating the team that beat the Yankees. The Yankees COULDN'T get it done this year, and the Sox could. Yes, it'd have greater impact to beat the Yankees than the Twins, but it sounds to me like a lot of people would rather see the Sox beat the Yankees than win a World Series.

Priorities, people, get the Series monkey off the Sox back and THEN worry about beating the Yankees in the postseason.

And I wake up to see Boston broke it open after I went to bed, which is good.

I also see someone from Boston (at least I presume, since I've seen Niskie root for the Sox and Bruins) supporting my point, which is also good

The differences in the Red Sox' shortstops is like night and day.

Witness Mr. Hamm going about his business as if he's pissed off to be there. No smile, no charisma, no nothing, even if he has a big game.

Witness Cabrera skipping to his position with a huge grin on his face for the first game in Anaheim. Huge fist pump and smile after his bases-clearing triple last night.

I will fully admit that I was wrong about Cabrera. I was one of the many Red Sox fans that couldn't understand why they traded a former batting champ for two defensive parts, but now I realize that it's all about the attitude.

Nomar treats baseball as his job. Cabrera treats it as fun. There's a huge difference. Cabrera seems to just love playing the game (much like Manny and a horde of others on this team), while Nomar seems to like playing the game, but would rather be doing something else. I'm proud to have Cabrera on my team.

The game last night was very good, IMO. Sure, it turned into a blowout (watching all of the Angel fans practically RUN out of the stadium after the Cabrera triple was funny, but kind of sad at the same time.) It was good to see Pedro pitch a good game and see him get taken out after 7 innings. The pen looked good too. Myers' release point must really be tough for Anderson to pick up, because he wasn't even CLOSE to anything he was throwing.

Game 3 friday night in Boston, Arroyo v. Escobar. I have confidence in Arroyo. He's had some very good games when the pressure is on (matched against Duque in New York on that friday night with the rain delay, he pitched very well.) If the Red Sox can sweep this series and set up their rotation the same way for the next series, I have no problem predicting a World Series berth. Schilling will pitch whenever he's needed. Pedro looked solid last night. Two aces is always a good thing to have.

Another side to the "putting the curse to rest by beating the Yankees en route to WS"

Even if they don't play the Yankees on the way to the WS, what if they play the Cardinals in the WS?

I think that may help put some "ghosts to rest", as the Cardinals denied Teddy Ballgame his one possible WS ring and also ended the Impossible Dream in '67

First of all there ain't no friggin' Curse.

Secondly, if the Yankees somehow don't make it to the ALCS(which would be unfortunate) then they weren't the best team in their series in the first place.

Personally, I would love nothing more than to see the Yanks and Sox play in the ALCS again. I would love it if those two played each other EVERY year in the ALCS, because it's the most watched, most anticipated, and most entertaining series in baseball right now. Those are the best two teams in the league right now, and watching the best play each other is what everyone SHOULD look forward to. it's got nothing to do with curses or any other bullshit the media can throw at us.

If the Sox and yanks do play in the ALCS, and the Sox won it...then lost in the World Series...would anything have been gained? Of course not!

I love when the Red Sox and Yankees play, as every game seems like a life-or-death situation.

The main problem that I have with the series is that the media goes NUTS over it, ESPN and FOX specifically, and overanalyze every little thing that happens.

Other than that, I'd like nothing more than watching the Red Sox go through the Yanks and Cards to take the World Series. But that's me getting ahead of myself. First, a win on friday. Then, we start talking about the LCS.

I still stand by my prediction of the Twins over the Yankees in that series....Red Sox will likely sweep this one now. Remember, there are two things the Red Sox cannot positively ever do:

1. Win the World Series.

2. Beat the Yankees in the playoffs.

Thus, the Sox will take out the Twins in the ALCS and play someone like the Cardinals in the World Series...where they'll lose in 7 epic games. Therefore they will have done as much as humanly possible without fulfilling either of their main goals in life.

I still stand by my prediction of the Twins over the Yankees in that series....Red Sox will likely sweep this one now. Remember, there are two things the Red Sox cannot positively ever do:

1. Win the World Series.

2. Beat the Yankees in the playoffs.

Thus, the Sox will take out the Twins in the ALCS and play someone like the Cardinals in the World Series...where they'll lose in 7 epic games. Therefore they will have done as much as humanly possible without fulfilling either of their main goals in life.

Source PLZ

Guest goatfish

Did anybody else catch in the 8th inning, when Francona went to the mound to pull Timlin and bring in Myers, how the camera cut away to Garret Anderson who mouthed "Damn it" to himself? I guess that explains his now 1 for 15 against Myers, and explains why he just sat with disinterest for the first 2 strikes, and then took one of the worst swings i've ever seen at the third strike.

He had absolutely NO idea what was coming at him from Myers. Myers could be one of the more important pickups made by theo this season...I mean it's under the radar and all but the guy is just MINT versus lefties.

No, Embree pitches to both righties AND lefties. Usually a one innig guy. Myers only usually comes in for a batter or maybe 2 depending on the matchups.

Well, since game 3 is 10 minutes away, might as well bump this one up. 3 more hours of Boomer/Sutcliffe/Fat Tony, I'm in heaven.

Wow, this is only the 4th game since 1918 that the Sox have a shot to end a postseason series at Fenway. I think it's gonna happen.

I was just about to say that.

And Berman's off and running with the movie references. Time to fire up the radio.