TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Astro

Fun Facts about the Backstage of the WWE

Guest Coffey

Very true. He knew he's never make it in the business physically, so he found out a way to do it otherwise.

That's assuming he WANTED to be a wrestler however. I assume his ultimate goal would be to be some sort of writer or booker.

Guest Astro

I thought the census belief was that he sucked up hard to the WWF in the Early 00's and hoped to find a spot as a writer, and ended up not even being considered

Dude, my book would be one page.

Chapter 1:

"Vince McMahon is stupid and did stupid things and surrounded himself with yes men who never told him he was stupid."

The End.

But according to the WWE Unscripted book, Vince McMahon is a genius!

I have no doubts that given the opportunity and the right motivation, I, or RavishingRickRudo, or Hunter's Torn Quad, or Nikjohns, or Sass, just from these boards alone could write a better, more informative, more interesting and (cross your fingers) better selling book about the downfall of WWE.

<_<

"How could you spend all our money on a book written by Coffey?!

We'll never sell these... Birds won't even use them in their nests."

Guest INXS

The book also contains a LOT of info on the Austin saga - stuff that I haven't read anywhere else. If anyone wants a copy of the book PM me...

I have no doubts that given the opportunity and the right motivation, I, or RavishingRickRudo, or Hunter's Torn Quad, or Nikjohns, or Sass, just from these boards alone could write a better, more informative, more interesting and (cross your fingers) better selling book about the downfall of WWE.

:cheers:

I think the interest in books like this, covering the WWE from an partial insiders perspective, stems from wanting to see things from the point of view of someone who was closer to the situation than the reader, and thus would be privy to information the reader isn't. The only problem with that is that people who would know about SK would know most, if not all, of the information he has, so the only lure of the book then would be hearing about things from the view of someone who is/was following things more closely, and maybe seeing things differently.

As for books of this type, I think the one that would have most appeal to people like us, or any fan in general, would be a book that is mostly written by someone like Meltzer or Alvarez, who follow wrestling closely from the inside, but with input from an intelligent and well informed 'insider' fan, who would give the perspective of someone looking at wrestling from the outside. That way, you'd be getting a balance of both worlds; someone in wrestling who is a fan, and someone outside of wrestling, but who is also a fan. I think that would be the best way to write any book about wrestling, when at all possible.

Guest GreatOne
I don't agree with a lot of what Keith says, but before anybody makes fun of him, think of this: he's an author.  With several books published.  On wrestling, no less.  To say that's not an easy thing to do is a massive understatement.

Keith found a way to turn it into a business.  The rest of us are just pulling our puds on a message board.

Well hell, using that logic:

'I don't agree with a lot of what Moore says, but before anybody makes fun of him, think of this: he's an author. With several books published. On political topics, no less. To say that's not an easy thing to do is a massive understatement.

Moore found a way to turn it into a business. The rest of us are just pulling our puds on a message board.'

Well hell I guess we should just surrender to the ALMIGHTY AUTHOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Valcourt
Well hell I guess we should just surrender to the ALMIGHTY AUTHOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I have to contriute is this: HAHAHAHAHA

yup :lol:

Guest krazykat72

As for books of this type, I think the one that would have most appeal to people like us, or any fan in general, would be a book that is mostly written by someone like Meltzer or Alvarez, who follow wrestling closely from the inside, but with input from an intelligent and well informed 'insider' fan, who would give the perspective of someone looking at wrestling from the outside. That way, you'd be getting a balance of both worlds; someone in wrestling who is a fan, and someone outside of wrestling, but who is also a fan. I think that would be the best way to write any book about wrestling, when at all possible.

I'm actually really looking forward to The Death of WCW book coming out soon as well as Tributes II.

-Paul Jacobi-

Guest Valcourt

I really feel like I "understand" all the crap that led to the "fall" of both companies. What I mean is I WAS watching the shows at that time and well before it, so I was there for it. Do marks really want the insider news like we do, and for that matter, do they even care?

And WWF/E didn't fall, they are still in buisness and Mcmahon makes money... So i din't really get the title.....

And WWF/E didn't fall, they are still in buisness and Mcmahon makes money... So i din't really get the title.....

Because they went from making/grossing around $450m in 2000, to about a third of that for 2003/4. Yes, they are making money, and probably always will, but when their profits/gross fall by 60% or so in three years, something is really wrong. They might always be around, but so will someone in a PVS unless someone pulls the plug on them.

Guest GreatOne

I wouldn't necessarily call that falling though, in the OMGBUSINESSISDYING!~ sense, cause let's face it 450m gross isn't exactly the norm for a wrestling company.

When, as Foley would say, wrestlers are having trouble paying for their rooms in Red Deer, Alberta (..................CANADA), then we can call it falling.

Guest Loss

But not before then. Because business dropping 60% over three years is nothing to be alarmed about. They're still making a profit by cutting costs, you see.

Guys, the WWE isn't losing 60% of their profits...

Here is WWE financial statistics as reported my Meltzer in an old observer:

1994-95 $87,352,000 $-4,431,000

1995-96 $85,815,000 $3,319,000

1996-97 $81,863,000 $-6,505,000

1997-98 $126,231,000 $8,466,000

1998-99 $251,474,000 $56,030,000

1999-00 $373,100,000 $68,937,000

2000-01 $456,043,000 $15,987,000*

2001-02 $409,622,000 $42,233,000**

2002-03 $374,264,000 $-19,455,000***

2003-04 $374,909,000 $48,192,000

* Wrestling profit was $84,981,000, but WWE's share of 50% of the XFL losses was $68,994,000

** Wrestling profit was $42,498,000; also figured in was a tax break of $4,638,000 for shutting down the XFL; offset by $4,903,000 in losses for the year on The World

*** Wrestling profit was $16,362,000; offset by loses of $35,557,000 through operations and closing of The World

Looking at those stats you can see that the WWE is still doing very well when it comes to revenue and profit. When you compare the WWE now to the mid 90's, this is like an attitude era...

'I don't agree with a lot of what Moore says, but before anybody makes fun of him, think of this: he's an author. With several books published. On political topics, no less. To say that's not an easy thing to do is a massive understatement.

Moore found a way to turn it into a business. The rest of us are just pulling our puds on a message board.'

Uh, well...yes.

Getting a book published on anything is a major accomplishment, be it on puppies, wrestling, coffee, socks, aardvarks... I have a great deal of respect for just about anybody who does this. Doesn't mean I agree with them whole-heartedly, but I respect the drive and persistence it takes to get this done. Trust me, it ain't easy.

As for Moore, put aside his politics for a minute and think about what he did--went from some lard BUTT nobody in a dead American town to becoming a filmmaker, author, activist and in some circles, a respected political critic. That is not an easy thing to do.

Any wanker can post on a message board about anything. Only a handful of people can convince a publisher to cough up money for a book about their opinions. Getting to that point takes *some* degree of talent.

Looking at those stats you can see that the WWE is still doing very well when it comes to revenue and profit.

The WWE is still profitable, but if you look at their annual reports their revenue has continually gone DOWN. Even with more dates and shows, even with going to international markets, they still are _losing_ fans. As Loss said, their success has been in cutting costs. Someone is doing a really good fucking job on that end. The fiscal period of 2001 was, I believe, their most profitable year. The period of 2002 was one of their worst. That is a HUGE fall.

When you compare the WWE now to the mid 90's, this is like an attitude era...

No. Saying something like that is (a)Ignoring how badly they're doing in their traditional revenue streams (Television, PPV, Live Events) and (b)Ignoring how AMAZING they were doing in the Attitude era. The only thing more amazing than how they fell was how they rose. In just 5 years they had huge gains and huge losses, and there's a lot to be learned from it. Sadly, the only one "teaching" this lesson is Scott Keith right now.

I don't agree with a lot of what Keith says, but before anybody makes fun of him, think of this: he's an author.  With several books published.  On wrestling, no less.  To say that's not an easy thing to do is a massive understatement.

Keith found a way to turn it into a business.  The rest of us are just pulling our puds on a message board.

Poor example greatone,

Publishing houses dont just release anything by anybody. Authors have to have some merit and potential.

Moore isnt the best writer, and he does stray from total honesty at time, but his facts do hold up and he has ignited alot of passion in his readers/viewers and sold many copies...

Keith has a style unique to mainstream press and had developed a sizeable following...he has since turned internet rants into a fairly successful mainstream career.

Guest GreatOne

There's that S word again, style.......

But you're right, all hail Scott Keith!

Any wanker can post on a message board about anything. Only a handful of people can convince a publisher to cough up money for a book about their opinions. Getting to that point takes *some* degree of talent.

You've convinced me of his 'talents'. I guess ability to contradict yourself in the same paragraph (Keith) qualifies.....................

There's that S word again, style.......

But you're right, all hail Scott Keith!

Yep, thats what I said...'all hail Keith' ;)

I don't think Scott Keith's so great. Think about all the stories he's missed over the years:

Rey Mysterio decided to start wearing the mask again when he woke up one morning and realized he was still 12.

Stacy Keibler was stuck with the Dudley Boys back in 2001 as punishment for dating Test.

Triple H only grew his beard back because everyone kept mistaking him for Greg "the Hammer" Valentine.

Originally the "higher power" was going to be Sunny. (Get it? "Higher" power? **sigh**)

The U.S. Title is actually a belt buckle bought at a soveneir shop in Armarillo, Texas.

The real reason Stephanie hasn't regularly been on TV in a year is because Triple H was afraid she'd become a bigger star than him.

There are lies, lies, and then there are statistics(hope I got that cliche right). The wwe might be making some solid money(yeah with stuff like winning a court civil case about Owen Hart*record breaking DVD sales with Ric Flair), but it can not be denied how much interest has fallen from the business. I mean I read some house show attendance records and I honestly believed the numbers were a joke until I read elsewhere it was true. I went to a smackdown tv tapings a few months back in Toronto and saw how half the arena was tarped off. You got to also consider all the fantastic products from smackdown records and whatnot and I can see there is no need to worry as a shareholder ;) What is the current market value for a stock anyways? You also got to consider how much the internet writing landscape has shrunk from the 96 until the present. How about the fact that Vince Mcmahon basically owns everything and doesn't have wcw competing with him for ratings and attendances. Take everything into account compared with the numbers they were doing under different circumstances where they did not have a monopoly to cash in on.

Guest MikeSC
Keith has a style unique to mainstream press and had developed a sizeable following...he has since turned internet rants into a fairly successful mainstream career.

Umm, fairly successful mainstream career?

Doesn't he do retail as his career?

I'd hate to see a non-successful writing career.

-=Mike

..You thought I'd comment on Moore, didn't ya?

I think that the point here is being missed.

SK's book is called "The Death of the WWE", but, I don't think it should be seen as "Dead" as in going, going, gone, done. But, more, the death of an era when the company was led by hard-working, talented guys driven by good storytelling, and the right economy/enviroment for such success. The boom 90's allowed Americans to spend on such things. It was a different time and era. That era is dead.

The company itself, will always be around. C'mon, how long can Vince sit back and make DVD's and such, books, etc....he's got tons of backlot storage of things like SME(imagine a best of collection of SME's!), and WCW, WWF, ECW,etc.

This company will always make money as long as there are wrestling fans with income to spend. Period. Even if the ratings fall to the 2's. Even if there was no Smackdown. Even if RAW was taken off the air. There is a solid 2-3 million person fanbase in the US alone. If just 7% of that base buys 1/2 of the PPVs you are looking at JUST PPV BUY REVENUES OF ALMOST 43 MILLION IN ONE YEAR! Add the live gate revenues of those 7 ppv's, and your up to 50 million dollars. Just off that. Obviously that's just revenue, not profit, but, add in all 14 PPV's, live shows, DVD's, ad revenue, etc....

The company will never die. The creativity, that's been gone for a long time (paging the Invasion!)

Ryen

Guest reek

Just as an FYI, the subtitle of the book isn't "The death of WWE", it's "The death of the World Wrestling Federation". Of course, it has information that precedes the name switch, so it ends up being a worthless title anyway.

I thought it was just a play on words since there is no longer a wwf. I mean it's kind of safe to say the wwe has not been anywhere close of being the success of the wwf.

As for the wwe being in business forever I point to wcw. I know it's kind of hard to believe, but can anyone honestly say in 1996-1999 that Vince Mcmahon would buy the company after it fell so far? Remember the wwf was in some serious trouble in 1997 financially which helped caused the whole Montreal incident. That is not that long ago. Think back and actually put in the mind that wcw was the powerhouse and do a back to the future to see it no longer exists. In other words, the entertainment business is a strange one and it's easier for a monopoly to fall than an industry with a big 3. This is not like it's music and creative process is always changing with different artists. Everything stops with Vince Mcmahon and if he starts to go awry with no one to stop him who knows? This is a long shot, but look how wrestling has changed in the last decade.

WCW IS NOT/WAS NOT/NEVER WILL BE THE WWE/WWF.

The company has good asset to credit, a sub-par but good enoug P/E ratio, and a decent buy rather than sell standing among investors.

The company stock is stronger and survived better than alot of the bubble companies of the late 90s early aughts.

My point is that, as an entity, it's not going anywhere soon. Vince is a good business man, we all know this. He's no genius, but, he's no Steve Case (look up AOL Time Warner). NOW THAT'S A COMPANY THAT DIED.

A 1000 investment in WWE in Jan 2002 would be worth roughly the same now, meaning the company isn't taking off, but, is slow and steady, and a good buy at times would make a decent, solid investment.

Wheras an investment in TWX, or Time Warner, would be worth less than WWE. In fact, go back 5 years, WWE is a stonger stock, performance wise.

So, the company--GOOD. The writing, absolutely horrible.