TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

The ALCS: New York Yankees vs. Boston Red Sox

Yanks win the "edges" 5 to 4, and they lose the series? And the Red Sox bench is better? Arguable I guess. But the Yanks lose the series because you feel something for the Red Sox? What's up with that?

Sox would also have guys like Doug Mientkiewicz and Trot Nixon on the bench.

Sox Bench = Doug Mirabelli(.893 OPS), Kevin Youkilis(.780 OPS), Pokey Reese(.574 OPS), Doug Mientkiewicz(.603 OPS w/Sox), Gabe Kapler(.700 OPS), Dave Roberts(.772 OPS w/Sox), and Trot Nixon(.887 OPS)

Yankees Bench = John Flaherty(.750 OPS), Tony Clark(.755 OPS), Enrique Wilson(.579 OPS), Bubba Crosby(.498 OPS), Kenny Lofton(.741 OPS), and Ruben Sierra(.752 OPS)

Sox have 7 players on the bench whereas the Yankees have 6. Yankees seem consistent with 4 players around .750 OPS although Bubba and Enrique are awful. Sox definitely have the edge OPS wise thanks to Mirabelli, Dave Roberts, Youkilis and Trot. Pokey and Mientkiewicz are awful but provide great defense and could be used as defensive replacements.

Edge: Red Sox IMO

Guest Crazy Dan
Yanks win the "edges" 5 to 4, and they lose the series? And the Red Sox bench is better? Arguable I guess. But the Yanks lose the series because you feel something for the Red Sox? What's up with that?

I know, the Yankees get the edge, but the Yankees starting pitching is a big concern, as it is not a gaurantee like in years past. And I just think that the Sox have enough to take it from the Yankees. Conventional Wisdom says otherwise, but I just think that it is the Sox's year to beat the Yankees. But as I said, I will not be suprised if the Yankees win and the Yankees should be the favorite. I actually don't really care who wins this, but since I usually pick a team to root for, I am going with the Sox. And one time the stars will allign just right and this is the year. I think the key here is if the Yankees starting pitchers can get to at least the 6th inning w/o giving up too many runs. That is the Yankees X-Factor, IMO. Also, I had no idea whose bench was better, I just had read Bill Simmons, so I got my source from a biased view. But to make it even, the bench could be even for both teams, as I don't follow these two teams much. Being that you must be a Yankees fan, I would be confident, the past indicates that this is not like any other year. By watching the Sox play, I think that they have a real good team, which can beat the Yankees, so I picked them. Either way, this will go 7 games and I think Schilling would pitch Game 7. And as a question to you, who would you want to be the Yankees Game 7 starter?

Actually the Sox bench is down to 5 with the subtraction of Youkilis and the addition of MENDOZA~! to the bullpen.

Nixon WILL start every game in RF too since the Yanks don't have any lefties.

bench: Meintkewicz, Reese, Roberts, Mirabelli, Kapler

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

This is how I see it:

The Red Sox should win, but they won't. Their pitching is infinitly better than the Yankees. The hitting is equal, if not a little bit in the favour of the Yanks based on the fact that any one of 9 batters in their line-up can torch their opposition. Will be very exciting. But if Schilling loses the first game, it'll be demoralizing for the Sox. He HAS to be strong tonight.

Interesting how they play NYY Vs. BOSTON with the Yankees being the "bad guys", despite the Yankees being a much more popular team that is going to win anyway, and Boston having the guys that can't stop being rude and running their mouths (Pedro, Schill, etc.)

Guest The Shadow Behind You

The Yankees are popular? Outside of The City of NYC, they are the most despised team in America.