TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rob E Dangerously

RIP Christopher Reeve

Other forums are bringing up a good point - this is going to have huge political ramifications.

Kerry namedropping him the other night put Reeve back in the public mindset with regards to stem-cell research.

Guest JMA

This is horrible news. I'll always remember Christopher Reeve as THE Superman actor and a man who fought for what he believed in. I'm just shocked that this happened. Thank you for all the moments on the big screen that you gave us, Mr. Reeve.

RIP. :(

c08b.jpg

that just fucking sucks. The guy was only in his early 50's. RIP

Just saddened by this news, he was always optomistic and a fighter

*Inserts Superman DVD*

you will believe a man can fly

*Biting my lip so as not to change the mood of this thread...*

Yeah--Reeves' political ideals deserved all the mocking they got and then some (take a look at the pile of crap that was Superman IV to see how naive he was). Plus that commercial that had him get up and walk rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I'm not heartless though, and it's a huge shame this happened. :(

Kerry namedrops him and Comedy Central played Chris Rock's Bigger and Blacker ("Superman can't walk?! How ****ed up is that ****?!") and then this happens? Creepy.

NOTE: HD has something much less nice about the situation..

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...rman_metropolis

Metropolis, Ill., Holds Vigil for Reeve

Thu Oct 14, 4:03 PM ET

METROPOLIS, Ill. - Residents in the southern Illinois town that shares its name with Superman's adopted city honored the life of Christopher Reeve with a candlelight vigil on Superman Square.

Dozens of people braved the chilly weather Wednesday night to hold the vigil in Reeve's honor. The 52-year-old actor, who died Sunday, had starred in four "Superman" movies.

Those participating in the vigil held candles in front of a Superman statue, which had black gauze draped around its railing. They also made donations to the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation, and signed a huge condolence card for the Reeve family.

Metropolis hosts a festival every year dedicated to the comic-book hero. Organizers started the event 25 years ago to draw more tourists to the area.

Reeve, left a quadriplegic after a May 1995 horse-riding accident, died after complications from an infection caused by a bedsore.

Kitty Polovine of Paducah, Ky., came to the service to honor Reeve's work on behalf of stem-cell and spinal cord research. Her late husband, Dennis Fusaro, lived longer because of stem-cell research, she said.

"Christopher Reeve put a better face on it," Polovine said. "I would have come here for Christopher Reeve, anyway, but I think it's great what he did."

On the Net:

http://www.metropolischamber.com/