TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Promoter

Ted Turner and Vince Mcmahon

HollywoodReporter.com is reporting that WWE has had "preliminary discussions" with numerous cable groups about airing WWE programming if WWE leaves Spike TV when it's contract expires next year. The cable groups include former rivals Turner Broadcasting, WWE's former home the USA Network, and FX (whose sister network FSN carries TNA on Friday afternoons).

"We still have a mutually beneficial relationship with Spike TV, and we're looking for a longer-term one with them," he said. "But for us, we think we have an obligation as a public company to our shareholders to seek the best deal out there that we can get."

Says the article: "WWE will find a very different cable landscape than the last time it had programming on the open market. The general entertainment networks that once offered broad programming options have now carefully cultivated their brands in ways that clash with wrestling's smash-mouth sensibility. Its cheeseball charm probably wouldn't mesh with the new high-end drama sheen of FX, nor does it fit the genre-specific thrust of drama-heavy TNT and comedy-themed TBS." Spike TV has a clause that allows them to match any offer made by another network.

-----------------------------------------

I think if Vince Mcmahon goes with TNT the wwe can create a monster storyline and get some mainstream buzz again. Of course, there are problems here, but the possible profits can't be denied. Discuss.

Guest Fook
they put wrestling and sensibility in the same sentence....pure rubbish!

*waits for Orton picture*

Guest W_Hillard

This isn't surprising. In fact, it makes good business sense.

WWE would probably get better ratings on TNT or USA than they are with Spike anyway. The former would probably advertise the shows much better, while Spike rarely advertises any of the WWE shows at all.

TNT and TBS are owned by the same company (AOL Time Warner) that didn't want a thing to do with wrestling once the merger went through, even if it was "only" WCW. And on Ted Turner, he hardly has a thing to do with the company anymore and as of early last year had resigned from his position.

If I remember correctly, the ratings began to slide with Raw's first night on Spike TV (or at the time, TNN). Aside from preempting Raw for that dog show, USA was really good to WWE and I would be happy to see it return.

I was thinking more along the lines what storyline Vince Mcmahon and Ted Turner could cook up and present for TNT and TBS. I know AOL/Time Warner pretty much nailed the coffin shut on wcw being on its channels, but I also think if there is a new person in charge of programming and Vince Mcmahon and Ted Turner were serious about making some cash again what kind of proposal can be done to have wrestling return by next September. I'm thinking of the creative options that would be available. The wwe does OWN wcw and it also does have two separate wrestling brands. I'm sure they can concoct something that can rival what happened in 1995/1996 in terms of a monday night war and the "takeover" storyline. The wwe still does get top ten ratings for all the ragging we do about the show. It's good business sense to at least look at a proposal. I have an idea, but won't get into it yet.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I really don't know how much of this is Ted Turner/Vince MacMahon. From everything I've read, I have been in the understanding that Ted Turner has very little or nothing to do at all with TNT or TBS. So basically even though this may be a story of Vince trying to line up networks for doing potential business with after the Spike deal runs out, but I don't see Turner involved really at all.

PWInsider.com followup

PWInsider's Dave Scherer talked to the writer of The Hollywood Reporter story. The word relayed was that the Turner and Fox groups are "not seriously interested" in a WWE deal. USA is the only outside player of interest at this point.

I don't doubt that the Turner stations have no interest in this. WWE doesn't really fit well in either the TNT drama format or the TBS comedy/reality format.

Guest whitemilesdavis

Have you ever seen any of Vince's other media offerrings outside of his wrestling shows? They are all disasters, as would be his own network.

Guest Dynamite Kido

With all this talk going on, I still don't see them leaving Spike TV. I said before this that if they do leave, the USA Network would be the only other station that would probably even have them. Not to say that other networks wouldn't be interested, but wrestling is dying off on TV faster than ever and I don't see TV executives scrambling to get wrestling programming for their networks. Spike has the demographic for wrestling (especially considering that it's been steadily marketed as the "Network for Men") and they have shown that they are willing to go out of their way for the WWE and their programming (giving them plenty of specials and all the run over time for RAW).

Guest SoZe

Considering the fact that Spike is willing to air CSI at 11:05 says a lot about them wanting RAW on their network. CSI was (and is) the highest rated show on tv, and Spike getting the sydication rights was a big deal. Most networks would have demanded that RAW be of the air by 11:00, sharp, so CSI would start at the normal time, and not 5 after the hour. I think they're going to do their best to keep the show on their network.

Why do you guys keep saying AOL Time Warner...that company doesn't even exist anymore....last year the company renamed itself back to its original name "Time Warner"......

And as far as deals goes....I'm willing to bet...if WWE starts putting out descent numbers in 2005...up until maybe May or June.....FX will probaly be the one to get WWE programming......Fox Broadcasting was in the bid to get WWE programming in 2000 but they were outbid by Viacom.....

Viacom and WWE are PROBALY not in the best relationship right now....Sunday Night Heat was removed from MTV....they have had numerous time slot changes for Saturday and Sunday show....Viacom has canceled WWE shows in the past(one was a diva show...not exactly canceled but was moved to a time slot that WWE didnt' like)...I"m sure Viacom is pissed at WWE numbers when they are not getting the numbers they suspected to get...and probaly isn't worth the 500K plus a week for their programming..... ..with not so great numbers....and with two shows below the 1.0 mark..

Of course it will all come down to negotiations....I however do not suspect WWE to get a big programming contract that they received in 2000.....whoever gets the programming rights...the sum will not be as high as Viacom paid 4 years ago.....

Also...if Viacom does lose WWE programming what happens to Smackdown????? Since UPN is owned by Viacom

Guest Sylvan Grenier

McDevitt_Jerry.jpg

WWE hopes to continue its great relationship with Viacom, and if negotiations are unsuccessful, fans can rest assured that great WWE programming will still be seen on cable and broadcast television. Now if you'll excuse me, somebody posted Repo Man's theme on a Geocities site. I gotta go.

Why do you guys keep saying AOL Time Warner...that company doesn't even exist anymore....last year the company renamed itself back to its original name "Time Warner"......

Gee, Mr. CNBC, some of us don't have to tell our stock broker the proper name of the company so he doesn't get confused because, well, we don't have brokers.

You can go back to watching Kudlow & Kramer now.

I"m sure Viacom is pissed at WWE numbers when they are not getting the numbers they suspected to get...and probaly isn't worth the 500K plus a week for their programming..... ..with not so great numbers....and with two shows below the 1.0 mark..

WWE is probably also not happy that Viacom didn't give them all the TV time in the world with all the options for theme parks and cross-network promotion like they were promising up and down, too.

At the same time, moving your show again after 3 years just seems unlikely. It's so common for people to simply forget and never find the program again.

Have you ever seen any of Vince's other media offerrings outside of his wrestling shows? They are all disasters, as would be his own network.

You got him there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

All this important business stuff and Vince is still a hardhead to fix problems. He's lucky that some tv execs don't truly understand how creative is messing up since 2000. It's funny as many people say things went south as soon as SummerSlam 2000 and the post raw show went off the air with the mishandling of stuff like the love triangle. No big fight for the rights of wwe shows and who can blame them?

You can go back to watching Kudlow & Kramer now.

I think I will :P

I do agree that it wouldn't be the right move for them to move at this time...since they have only been on the network for 4 years......McMahon may have to settle for a lower contract this time around....

Of course Viacom did sell their stock they had in WWE two years ago :)