TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

MLS Expansion = New Candidates for Worst Team Name

Sure, its MLS (Major League Soccer for those not aware that there was such a thing in the US) but I think it counts.

Candidate #1 - ReAL Salt Lake

SALT LAKE CITY (October 9, 2004) MLS - Major League Soccer's 12th team unveiled its globally-inspired name -- ReAL SALT LAKE -- as well as its new logo, colors and identity at Rice-Eccles Stadium today, celebrating the international flair and multi-cultural distinction of Utah's newest professional sports organization. "Internationally, the ReAL brand signifies soccer at its highest level -- soccer with excitement, tradition and flair," said David W. Checketts, the team's owner and chairman. "The name symbolizes dignity, history and, quite literally, royalty. It is our mission to establish those attributes for our team."

ReAL SALT LAKE (pronounced RAY-äl) takes the field in Spring, 2005, wearing Claret Red, Cobalt Blue and Real Gold uniforms with a classic shield logo that incorporates an iconic crown, suggestive of the majestic heritage and international spirit of soccer teams around the globe.

"The days of 'traditional mascot names' are numbered, and not only in soccer," said Checketts, who made the announcement as part of a special event held today at Rice-Eccles Stadium on the University of Utah campus, which ReAL SALT LAKE will call home during its inaugural 2005 season. In addition to a press conference introducing the new team identity elements, ReAL SALT LAKE also invited new and existing season-ticket holders the opportunity to select their seats for the 2005 Major League Soccer season. ReAL SALT LAKE's 20-game 2005 season-ticket brochure is attached.

As opposed to the fake Salt Lake that they've been fooling us with for the last million years?

*rimshot*

Alright..I understand that there is a soccer team in Madrid Spain called Real Madrid and that "real" in spanish supposedly means "Royal" but it just doesn't fit as a name for an American sports franchise (in Utah of all places), even if it is Soccer.

Candidate #2: Club Deportivo Chivas USA! (CD Chivas USA for Short)

In seeking to preserve the connection to the tradition and history of its Guadalajara roots, the CD Chivas USA logo keeps several features of the CD Guadalajara logo intact, with the most significant difference between the two coming in the name of the club. The logo design, which dates back to 1908, contains the shield of the city of Guadalajara and the traditional uniform colors of the club in Mexico, which were originally selected based on the red and white striped jerseys of the Brussels-based Belgian club for which the founder of the team once played.

"The name, colors and shield of CD Guadalajara have come to represent pride, honor and passion for millions of the club's fans in Mexico and around the world," said general manager Whit Haskel.

First thing that crossed my mind? What the hell is a chiva? Ok...so its..A KID~! So English speaking soccer fans in Southern California can root for the LA Galaxy (rather cool sounding I suppose) while the Spanish speaking fans can root for the KIDS SPORTS TEAM USA!!!. Oddly enough, they'll both play at the Home Depot Center(when did they start calling soccer stadiums centers?).

I certainly hope that the days of traditional sports team names are not over (as the Owner of the Salt Lake team says they are..

Guest Lawlerm
Alright..I understand that there is a soccer team in Madrid Spain called Real Madrid and that "real" in spanish supposedly means "Royal" but it just doesn't fit as a name for an American sports franchise (in Utah of all places), even if it is Soccer.

I think the point is that soccer clubs aren't really true "American sports franchises" and the owners know that American nationals have little interest in watching it so they are using this as a way to get residents of Latin descent through the gates.

p.s. Chivas is the nickname for the Guadlajara club in Mexico who's fans they are trying to attract.

You know, when I think of cities where a soccer team would help evoke nostalgia over a Spanish football club, I think Salt Lake City.

Anyways, we've got a United and a Real in MLS now... are they trying to confuse Posh Beckham or something?

Why is MLS stealing names from other leagues? I say forget these names and go for New Jersey FC Gigantes , you know you want to hear Chris Berman say that on ESPN. What about AC Memphis or Boca Juniors or better yet be ironic and call a team Mexico FC and have them play in PHX.........If a futbol club can be named America and be based in Mexico then MLS can confuse everybody and do the converse.

Guest Lawlerm
Correction:

Chivas = Goats

Not a correction. Yes it does mean goat - but that has nothing to do with it.

The team is called that because it the nickname of CD Guadlajara. The fact is means goat isn't the issue.

I guess giving teams awful names is the only way Major League Soccer can think of to get people to pay even the slightest amount of attention to them. God knows no one would give a shit otherwise.