TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iliketurtles

World Series 2004

It actually kinda makes sense if you think about it, because the way he got famous right before the article (if anyone even remembers) is having an absolute lights-out postseason the year before. He was really popular in Atlanta for about 2 and a half months before the SI article that killed his career.

From the Daily Quickie at ESPN.com:

Did you see Tom Hanks at Fenway on Sunday night in a Boston cap?

But ... but ... he's an A's fan!

Red Sox Nation must be driven nuts by this part of Red Sox success.

No group of fans is as insular -- or arrogant -- as RSN. (The results of the sports world's most massive inferiority complex.)

But "fairweather" is a myth in the ESPN Era. Bandwagons are blink-quick to form, national in scope -- and created to be ridden on; no one is handing out badges of honor to stay off them.

This week, every sports fan outside of St. Louis (and New York) has adopted the Sox as their own; Red Sox hat sales are skyrocketing across the country. Almost everyone can identify with team frustration and title anticipation.

If only RSN embraced that with inclusivity: Instead, you get the sense they would like to see this new nationwide Nation locked up in Big Dig traffic.

It won't work: The Red Sox are the new "America's Team" (at least until they win).

It's true- I went to buy a Red Sox hat and I had to go to 4 different stores. They're sold out everywhere in Toronto.

People are rooting for them for finally conquering the Evil Empire.

Since everyone is referencing him, I'll reveal it.  It's John Rocker.

I miss that guy

Today I wore my Manny jersey to school for the first time since Game 2 of the ALCS (we had fall break for Games 5-7) and the response was astounding. People were saying "Go Sox" to me, except for those few people ballsy enough to still sport Yankee caps who strangely averted their eyes when walking past me.

Guest Brian

What does everyone expect out of the Sox defense tonight? I don't see them being "four errors" bad, but with Ortiz at first, you never know.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

I bet Ortiz is great tonight and Pedro throws a gem but Foulke blows a 4-2 lead crushing the morale of the Sox and the fans.

Why do they introduce the batboys and locker room personnel?

"Ladies and gentlemen, the guy that grabs players's bats and balls, JOSH THE BATBOY!!"

Our morale wouldn't be crushed. I'm honestly expecting only one win out of this trip to St. Louis.

Yep, Sox in the Series = great for hat sales, but it just exposes how freaking flimsy people are with some things. Pulling for a team is one thing, but suddenly declaring a team you never gave two shits about, as your own or whatever, just because they're in the Series, is moronic.

I think I'm gonna go watch some NH...damn.

The Cardinals are running the bases like the Cubs in this series. Jesus. That's absolutely ridiculous to get them at second and third with no outs and come up empty.

I've always had a thing for teams from Boston and I've been with Boston everytime I watched baseball. I didn't start reguarly watching until this season and well.....there are a lot of fairweather fans out there. I just don't want to get grouped with them. But for some reason now ANYONE that likes Boston is fairweather.

Boston's always been my favourite AL team (I'm an NL guy so this means I casually root for them to do well but it doesn't affect me unless they play the Yankees)

When they made the LCS v. the Yankees I vowed to buy a Red Sox hat if they beat the Yankees.

As my attempts to look for a hat last week went- apparently I wasn't the only one.

Guest Brian

I think alot of people tend to like Boston or generally sympathize with them, coupled with the Yankee hate.

Boston's always been my favourite AL team (I'm an NL guy so this means I casually root for them to do well but it doesn't affect me unless they play the Yankees)

When they made the LCS v. the Yankees I vowed to buy a Red Sox hat if they beat the Yankees.

As my attempts to look for a hat last week went- apparently I wasn't the only one.

I realized the hat thing wouldn't work so I printed a sticker offline and plastered it to the bill of my OU hat.

Coming back from 3-0, doing it against the Yankees, destroying the Yankees in Game 7 on their own field, Curt and his ankle-

of course a lot of people are gonna get behind this team.

I mean- they conquered the Evil Empire!

Guest Brian

I like ye Olde English. If I bought one, I'd keep it.

Why does McCarver keep going on about moving a runner from second to third, especially on that not-so-deep fly?

And Suppan's coming out.