TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest SP-1

REBIRTH

Hal's GL genocide run is in Trade Paper Back and can probably be found at a Barnes bookstore or your local comic shop.

It's probably best you read the books for yourself rather than have people give you their opinions on how you should feel going into the book. The story changed Green Lantern forever. That's all you really need to know.

Green Lantern Emerald Twilight New Dawn tp

Writer: Ron Marz Artist: Various. Reprints:

GREEN LANTERN #148-155. Witness Hal Jordan's last stand, as he collapsed into insanity and became Parallax, an unstoppable force...until freelance artist Kyle Rayner was awarded the last power ring, and a new Green Lantern was born!

Is it safe to assume that this is the one I'm looking for?

Also, I know that the thing is started by the destruction of Coast City; would that be included in there as well, or should I be looking for a few other issues as well? I don't like starting stories right in the middle.

Guest SP-1

Without going too much into the story (because I agree with Sass that you need to read it yourself), I think one major gripe from the Hal fans is that it all happens so suddenly and with no real warning at the time.

Also, I know that the thing is started by the destruction of Coast City; would that be included in there as well, or should I be looking for a few other issues as well? I don't like starting stories right in the middle.

That's actually from the "Reign of the Supermen" storyline, so I don't think it's in Emerald Twilight. THAT TPB is called "The Return of Superman", but the relevant issues are:

Superman #80 (Coast City actually destroyed)

Superman: The Man of Steel #26 (GL comes back to Earth and finds Coast City destroyed)

Green Lantern #46 (GL fights Mongul)

I'm probably leaving out a lot, but use this page to help to determine whether you should get the TPB or just back issues...

Ok, I just finished Rebirth #3 and I have to say WTF?

Apparently, Jordan isn't really responsible for any of his actions, it was the impurity Parallax that made him do it. Daemon ex Machina, as was previously said.

So, I've been reading these comincs, and they kick some lotta ass.

However, I don't read comics often, and thus must ask: How are the comics in which Hal first goes crazy? I've never read them, but now I want to. It seems many don't like them, but is that due to their quality, or the way Hal Jordan was treated?

So basically: Are those good comics too, and how hard would it be (probably) to get my hands on them? I'm not a collector, so I'm not gonna hunt down a bunch of rare comics in mint condition, but I had heard they were out in trade paperback (which I assume means that they're bound together, like a book) so something like that would be fine. Or if they're not that rare, I could see if my local comic shops have them.

So...how are they?

To be fair, there are not that many evil Hal stories mainly do to DC pussying out with regards to Hal going evil. When the backlash hit, DC sort of pulled Hal out of circulation with him only making ultra-rare appearances before his death in Final Night.

Evil Hal appearance guide:

Green Lantern #48-50

Guy Gardner Warrior #19-20

Zero Hour #1 and #0

Green Lantern #0

Green Lantern #63-64

TECHNICKALLY you could toss in Final Night/Parallax: Emerald Night but Hal is portrayed as a good guy in these last living appearance books....

As for the writing of Hal, he is written like a low rent post-Claremont Magneto. I have to believe that this was done on purpose by Ron Marz, who wanted to salvage SOME dignity/sympathy for Hal since he's written just about every single evil Hal appearance not counting the GG: W and Zero Hour issues.

#48-50 and Zero Hour are in print; GL #0 and #63-64 was collected but the TPB with them are out of print. GG: W #19-20 are not available in any TPB. They should be easy to find and cost about $3-5 bucks......