TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

As an aside, the nonsense with Sosa et al. is reason number one Dusty Baker needs to go. The first responsibility of a manager is to keep his players in line. Baker clearly failed in that regard.

I laughed when the Mets starting showing interest in Sosa.

Why? They've got money to blow and Sosa's still capable of putting the asses in the seats. He's not the big name in Chicago anymore, but he'd be a draw in New York.

Big names get you in truoble like that. Bring in a player to your big market team who can produce, and he will become a star. Besides, why should the Mets target Ramirez or Sosa when J.D. Drew is available, for less? Drew has had injury problems, but he can't be more injury prone than an aging Sosa.

I would take Drew over Sosa too, but you can't seriously be suggesting that he is a better player than Ramirez.

I laughed when the Mets starting showing interest in Sosa.

Why? They've got money to blow and Sosa's still capable of putting the asses in the seats. He's not the big name in Chicago anymore, but he'd be a draw in New York.

Big names get you in truoble like that. Bring in a player to your big market team who can produce, and he will become a star. Besides, why should the Mets target Ramirez or Sosa when J.D. Drew is available, for less? Drew has had injury problems, but he can't be more injury prone than an aging Sosa.

I would take Drew over Sosa too, but you can't seriously be suggesting that he is a better player than Ramirez.

I'm not. But Drew would cost millions less, which you can use elsewhere. Plus, you don't have to surrender players in trade.

As an aside, the nonsense with Sosa et al. is reason number one Dusty Baker needs to go. The first responsibility of a manager is to keep his players in line. Baker clearly failed in that regard.

Agreed. I'm not convinced that being a "players' manager" is a good way to win. I know it's a poor example to use in light of the World Series collapse, but in St. Louis, everyone knew that Tony La Russa was in charge of the team; not Pujols, not Walker, not Rolen. When the crap went down with Steve Kline, the matter was handled and it became an afterthought. When things went wrong in the Cubs clubhouse, it festered and became an ongoing presence in the whole team and, I'm sure, had something to do with their collapse.

On a semi-related note, if the rumors are true that Kent Mercker was the one that made physical threats to Steve Stone leading to his resignation, give me one good reason why that piece of shit should still be employed. In fact, with the crap we DO know about over the course of the season, I'm still not sold on him sticking around.

Agreed, but this has ALWAYS been a knock against Sosa. Since he became a star, what he said went. He used his captain status, not as a method of mentoring and leading others, but for getting his way. He's always had problems with whomever the manager of the Cubs have been. That's why I say he needs to go, too. Baker going would be great, but as long as Sosa's around, there's always going to be this power struggle going on, since he believes that his broken English is gospel.

As an aside, the nonsense with Sosa et al. is reason number one Dusty Baker needs to go.  The first responsibility of a manager is to keep his players in line.  Baker clearly failed in that regard.

Agreed, but this has ALWAYS been a knock against Sosa. Since he became a star, what he said went. He used his captain status, not as a method of mentoring and leading others, but for getting his way. He's always had problems with whomever the manager of the Cubs have been. That's why I say he needs to go, too. Baker going would be great, but as long as Sosa's around, there's always going to be this power struggle going on, since he believes that his broken English is gospel.

He'd fit in just great with the Mets with politicians like Al Leiter, Tom Glavine, and John Franco, who got their buddies (Joe McEwing, Todd Zeile,) cushy deals. The only reason Joe McEwing is still employed in the major leagues is because he is close friends with Al Leiter and John Franco, THE ONLY REASON. Can Sosa top that? Hell, he'd be about as upity as John Olerud on this Met squad.

The reds and Paul Wilson almost have an agreement. On the market it is reported he could get 2 years at 5 million a year. He said he will sign with cincy for 2 years at 4 million a year, the reds are offering a 2 year deal with 7 million, no raise from what he earned last season. The reds are very very cheap.

Guest Anglesault
I think they believe marquee players will draw more fans than winning games will.

They know better than that. While I agree that Mets fans are strange screatures by definition (Some of the most absurd trade proposals you'll ever hear come from them.), they aren't going to get star struck out there. They very much want to win, and the mere fact that he is Sammy Sosa isn't going to cloud them to what Sosa's become.

The Red Sox traded Nomar and won the World Series because he was a distraction, could the same happen to the cubs if they got rid of Sosa?.

If the cubs traded Sosa to the mets, would they have enough money to go after maggs and beltran. I wouldn't go after normar at shortstop though.

The reds and Paul Wilson almost have an agreement. On the market it is reported he could get 2 years at 5 million a year. He said he will sign with cincy for 2 years at 4 million a year, the reds are offering a 2 year deal with 7 million, no raise from what he earned last season. The reds are very very cheap.

Quite frankly, 2 years, $7 Million is more than Paul Wilson is worth. He's a below average starter.

The Red Sox traded Nomar and won the World Series because he was a distraction, could the same happen to the cubs if they got rid of Sosa?.

If the cubs traded Sosa to the mets, would they have enough money to go after maggs and beltran. I wouldn't go after normar at shortstop though.

I'd rather have Nomar than Ordonez. I think Ordonez is even MORE of an injury liability than Nomar, if you can believe that. Todd Hollandsworth could fill in at right, I guess. If we have Patterson, Walker, Beltran, Garciaparra, Lee, Ramirez, and Barrett, what's one less bat?

Guest Salacious Crumb
The reds and Paul Wilson almost have an agreement.  On the market it is reported he could get 2 years at 5 million a year.  He said he will sign with cincy for 2 years at 4 million a year, the reds are offering a 2 year deal with 7 million, no raise from what he earned last season.  The reds are very very cheap.

Quite frankly, 2 years, $7 Million is more than Paul Wilson is worth. He's a below average starter.

Ugh......

They could do so much more with 5 million a year than give it to someone who should be the 3rd or 4th starter in a rotation. Aaron Harrang is about the only Reds starter worth keeping right now.

I thought I posted this last night, but I guess it didn't show.

What do the Mets have that could possibly persade the Red Sox to trade Manny? He's become a darling of Boston, and he's now very comfortable with guys like Ortiz and Millar there. They should have tried this last year, it would have been MUCH easier. Unless other teams get involved, the chances of a trade like that are slim and none, and slim is putting his jacket on and saying his goodbyes.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Especially after they traded away their best pitching and catching prospect to get Kris Benson and Victor Zambrano.

Given how they burned the farm last year, the only trade bait that they really have is Jose Reyes, whose development may have been stunted or even damaged from an early promotion and an inexplicable position move for Kaz Matsui.

Nov. 1 - According to the Chicago Tribune, Ryan Dempster may become the Cubs' closer next season. If he does, he would be one of baseball's best bargains at $2 million. Dempster, who's just 15 months removed from elbow-ligament-replacement surgery, had his contract option for 2005 picked up after going 1-1 with a 3.92 ERA and two saves last season. Despite some control and endurance problems, Dempster held opponents to a .208 batting average in 23 appearances.

Hmm. Since Hawkins was a disaster and Borowski may not be back to 100% again, I'd say we might as well give Dempster the old college try. I wouldn't suggest Remlinger getting the job. I don't think Mercker and Farnsworth should even be employed after the shit they pulled. The only other possibilities from the existing staff are Glendon Rusch for the 8th and 9th (but if he re-signs he'll probably be the #5), or Jon Leicester, who was impressive in some relief appearances.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

if I had to guess I'd say the cubs will go with Rusch at the end of the rotation and Dempster as the "closer", although Hawkins would still pitch the important innings. (and rightly so)

And the annual All-Star, power hitting Mags Ordonez is a little different from the one-legged, no defense Mags Ordonez. Or, to put it bluntly, Mags is basically Sosa now, except a little cheaper and not a raging penis. It would be a very Mets-ish move to give him a 4 or 5 year contract.

I didn't even know Rusch was a free agent this winter. I hope 2004 wasn't an aberration and he'll suck in 05.

His career numbers would imply that to be true.

And Hawkins was NOT a disaster as a closer. We've been through this before. He wasn't great, but his stats on the season were almost identical to that of John Smoltz, the guy you want as a closer for the Cubs next season. LaTroy was much better in the set-up role, no doubt, but his lack of closer mentality was greatly exaggerrated most of the time. He had a few bad breaks and I wouldn't want him as a closer in 2005, but let's not pretend he was Graham Lloyd out there.

Guest baseballguru56

On the issue of J.D. Drew going to Chicago to possibly replace a traded Sosa (who hasn't been traded yet), I think that's probably a best case scenario for the ballclub. With the most liberal of estimates looking at Drew earning $11 mil next year (up from 4.2 this), that would still free up a little over five million for other needs on the ballclub.

On the issue of Dempster, I don't really think that is the answer for the closer role. He did have a k rate of 7.84 per nine last year, however his total K/BB ratio was 18/13. This was a very limited sample size, but history has not proven that Dempster would be any sort of improvement over Latroy Hawkins (whos K rate is about even, but his BB ratio is MUCH better). If I had to choose between the two, I would want Hawkins on the mound in the 9th over Dempster ANY day. (and I dont see Smoltz in a Cubs uniform)

I honestly can't see the Braves NOT re-signing Drew if they're so adamant on finding a viable team to take Andruw Jones off their hands. Drew has always been an injury risk, so it may depend on what the market will spend on him, to make a decision for Schuerholtz.

The team that doesn't strike it rich in the "Beltran Sweepstakes" will be looking for an second option, and that's where Andruw comes in. Andruw and Rafael may have had the best postseasons of the entire lineup, and they've done enough to warrant their contracts, but they're the easiest players to move on the roster.

I think I'm going to do a write-up on the Braves offseason sooner or later, but the gist of it is:

--Re-sign: Jaret Wright, Julio Franco

--Watching: J.D. Drew

--Moving On: Antonio Alfonseca, Russ Ortiz, Paul Byrd

--Tradebait: Andruw Jones, Rafael Furcal (arbitration)

--FA Targets: Middle relief, possible replacements for Jones.

EDIT: If Drew gets offers of more than $12 million, he SHOULD leave.

If Atlanta wants to move Furcal I would love for Cincy to try to get him. We need a good leadoff hitter and a shortstop. However, Uncle Carl would not even be willing to pay for his plane flight to Cincy, much less his contract.

I thought I posted this last night, but I guess it didn't show.

What do the Mets have that could possibly persade the Red Sox to trade Manny? He's become a darling of Boston, and he's now very comfortable with guys like Ortiz and Millar there. They should have tried this last year, it would have been MUCH easier. Unless other teams get involved, the chances of a trade like that are slim and none, and slim is putting his jacket on and saying his goodbyes.

Essentially, Boston unloads the contract, and grabs a J.D. Drew or Carlos Beltran for the money they saved, and maybe a little extra.

Okay, I've seen three mentions (two on here):

What the fuck are these "John Smoltz as a Cub" rumors?

They were circulating earlier this year when Atlanta was in 4th place and Smoltz said he wanted to go to the Cubs if the Braves didn't get it together. They did. But I still want him to close for Chicago.

As for LaTroy sucking, come on. Two blown saves with 2 outs and 2 strikes? Inexcusable, especially because those games cost us the wild card.