TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

They're probably busy showing different travel brochures to Sammy Sosa.

The real beneficiaries of the Benson deal are the actual good pitchers on the market, as guys like Radke, Clement, and Perez can all point to Benson's contract and grin.

I got worried today thinking to myself what a dumbass we had for a GM, and that would handcuff the Phillies. Then I remembered we play in a division with Jim Bowden and Omar Minaya, and I smiled.

I'm reversing opinions on the Guzman/Castilla signings. I don't like the general direction of this franchise at all. Bowden seems good at adding names, but he's clueless at adding talent. Here are the OPS+ figures from Guillen and Rivera last season...

Guillen 119

Rivera 118

On top of that, Guillen is quickly gaining a bad reputation. And for that, Bowden not only traded Rivera, but he traded a player who could hit every bit as well (if not better) than Christian Guzman. Here's my favorite Bowden quote...

"What I especially like about Guillen is that, at the age of 28, his best days are clearly ahead of him."

I have a feeling a certain general manager is going to be sadly mistaken. Perhaps if he studied sabermetrics instead of blindly bashing them, he would find that players reach their peak around age 27. Guillen could maintain his current level of production, but he is unlikely to get any better. And his poor BB/K ratio would indicate a step in the opposite direction is more likely. But no. Bowden will wonder why his star outfielder couldn't reach 100 RBIs despite having OBP wunderkinds Christian Guzman, Vinny Castilla, and Endy Chavez in the lineup. And when the Expos lose 90 games again, he'll blame it on the lack of productive outs.

Apparently Matt Clement is the Blue Jays #1 free agent target this year and he wants to play in Toronto, too. Not sure if they'll be able to afford him based on what players are signing for so far, though.

The Benson signing appears official. $22.5 Million over three years for a pitcher who hasn't cracked the league average since before Tommy John surgery. Meanwhile, the Cubs signed Glendon Rusch for two years, $4 Million.

The Benson signing appears official. $22.5 Million over three years for a pitcher who hasn't cracked the league average since before Tommy John surgery. Meanwhile, the Cubs signed Glendon Rusch for two years, $4 Million.

They gave up 2 prospects and Ty Wiggington for him. They had to overpay.

Yep, it's official

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Kris Benson and the New York Mets completed more than three months of negotiations, agreeing Saturday to a $22.5 million, three-year contract.

Benson's deal includes a $2.5 million signing bonus and a $7.5 million club option for 2008 with a $500,000 buyout. If the option is exercised, the contract would be worth $29.5 million over four seasons.

The deal is subject to Benson completing a physical, which is scheduled for New York on Monday.

New York wouldn't confirm the agreement, only that it asked Benson to have a physical. Contract details were provided by a person with knowledge of the negotiations who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

"We look forward to providing future information following the completion of the physical," the Mets said in a statement.

Benson, a 30-year-old right-hander, was scheduled to be in New York on Tuesday for a "Benson's Battalion" charity event.

He was acquired by New York from Pittsburgh on July 30 along with infielder Jeff Keppinger for infielder Ty Wigginton, right-fielder Matt Peterson and infielder Jose Bautista. Benson went 4-4 with a 4.50 ERA in 11 starts with the Mets, leaving his record at 12-12 with a 4.31 ERA.

New York next turns its attention to finalizing a contract with Al Leiter. A baseball official, also speaking on the condition of anonymity, said Friday that New York and the 39-year-old left-hander were nearing agreement on a one-year contract worth $4 million to $5 million plus performance bonuses.

Guest Anglesault

Fucking shit, Yankee fans are repeating the 80s mantra again.

Just shoot me now.

Guest Anglesault

Fans I know are justifying not making an serious (and positive) changes to the pitching staff because "We won one hundred and whatever games last year!" and "Since 2001, we're the best team in baseball!"

I've heard this song before.

Charley Steiner agrees with Anglesault. He says enough of this, and became the new announcer of the Dodgers today.

(Charle Steiner may or may not have actually made these statements. Although he IS the Dodgers new announcer.)

The Marlins offer Al Leiter a one year deal worth 7 Million. The Mets offered only 1 year/4 Million. We'll see if Al is legit, does he take the better deal or give the Mets a break because he's a "Met for life" and wants to "retire a Met"? (and all that other hyperbole)

Leiter lives in florida, the salary would not be taxable, he pitched a no hitter and won the World Series with the Marlins and they also offered him a broadcast slot when his career is over.

It's a sweetheart deal if I ever saw one. I'm hoping he takes it. Good enough #4 starter for me.

I don't mind if Leiter takes the deal, in fact I think he will. It's just that for all these years he's waxed poetic about the Mets organization, talking about being a Met for life and retiring in a Met uniform and being a Mets fan growing up. Now whem the chips are down and money on the table, do these things matter? I bet not, not that I begrudge him for taking more money

I got worried today thinking to myself what a dumbass we had for a GM, and that would handcuff the Phillies. Then I remembered we play in a division with Jim Bowden and Omar Minaya, and I smiled.

I don't know Al, the overpowering suckititude of Ed Wade may override the garbage that Bowden and Minaya can churn out.

Maybe the NL East should just be called "Schulerholz, Beinfest, and Dumb(Minaya), Dumber(Bowden), and Dumbest(Wade)."

I don't know Al, the overpowering suckititude of Ed Wade may override the garbage that Bowden and Minaya can churn out.

Maybe the NL East should just be called "Schulerholz, Beinfest, and Dumb(Minaya), Dumber(Bowden), and Dumbest(Wade)."

At least Wade got Abreu for Kevin Stocker. What did Jim Bowden ever do? Wade's problem is that he overvalues pitchers (relative to the market). It is troublesome, but it is something that the team can overcome. Wade does have his bright spots. Minaya and Bowden have less of them.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA THE METS SUCK AT LIFE

Al, what would you say are Minaya's biggest problems?

Kris Benson. In seriousness, Minaya traded away farm players while receiving little in return. Except for the Livan Hernandez trade, he's done little to inspire any sort of confidence.