TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

Benitez is a very good reliever when he keeps the ball in the park. Pac Bell is a good place for him to pitch, and considering the Giants' bullpen last season, they needed to make this move.

Quote of the day...

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Esteban Loaiza is looking for a multiyear deal. In other news, I am looking for at least two liberal-minded lingerie models to spend some time with me on my birthday. I'm pretty sure both Loaiza and I will get our wish. We both have so much to offer.

http://www.yesnetwork.com/yankees/news.asp?news_id=739

Didn't see this posted anywhere:

Houston Chronicle says that the Astros are preparing/have made an initial offer to Beltran for 6 years, $81 million. The Astros are denying this.

The Astros have also supposedly offered Jeff Kent a 1-year deal for $5-6 mil; Kent is demanding a guaranteed second year, which the Astros are so far refusing because they're thinking Chris Burke will play in '06.

Guess who else is eyeing Randy Johnson in a trade?

Yep, the Red Sox. Today's Providence Journal has a story that says the Sox and Diamondbacks have "held numerous discussions involving Johnson in the last five days." The Sox would likely give up Bronson Arroyo, pitching prospect Jon Lester and at least one other prospect. No one knows if Johnson would wave his no-trade to play in Boston, though.

Personally, I don't think this should go through. Arroyo's going to be a pretty good 4th or 5th starter next year, and now that the Sox have won a title, that sense of urgency isn't there and they can make more calculated, long-term moves to make the team younger and better.

On the Pedro front, the Sox aren't totally ruling out guaranteeing the 3rd year in their offer, but there is no way in hell he'll get four years from them, like the Mets have offered. Nor should they, because of his age and injury concerns.

I agree with Al. When the Marlins signed Benitez, I thought they threw their money away. But after watching him pitch around 50 times this year, I have to say he's the best closer the Marlins had since Robb Nen. Granted, with the likes of Antonio Alfonseca, Vlad Nunez, Michael Tejera, and ugh...Braden Looper all taking shots at it, that doesn't really say much.

He and Pavano are both gone. In the new ESPN the magazine, Pavano pretty much flat out states he's not coming back to Florida. Oh well.

He's not going to perform as well next year as he did this year - especially if he goes to an American League park.

I think it would be a mistake for the Red Sox to acquire Johnson. They shouldn't think short-term at this point, and Fenway is not a good park for lefties anyway.

On an unrelated note, I was surprised to find that Tim Wakefield can jump to #3 on the Red Sox all time wins list with just a 10 win season.

Wake's a hoss. He's been in the league, what, 13 years now? He's also done everything for the Sox (starting, closing, middle relief, long relief), so he's had more chances for wins than if he just started.

I am surprised that 124 wins gets you #3 though; I'm guessing Cy Young is #1 and Clemens is #2, but I thought someone like Tiant would have more.

EDIT: Heh, so Clemens and Cy are tied for 1st, with Mel Parnell at 123 and Tiant at 122. Pedro's only 6 away from passing them both.

I'd just like to take credit for calling Benitez-->Giants in that pick em thing. He seems like such a natural fit in that uniform and a bullpen upgrade was a must for them.

From rotoworld.com

ESPN's Peter Gammons is reporting that a deal sending Randy Johnson to the Yankees for Javier Vazquez could be completed next week.

Boston Dirt Dogs is reporting that the Diamondbacks will receive Vazquez, Eric Duncan, another player (possibly Tom Gordon) and about $4 million for each of the next three seasons to cover Vazquez's contract. The Diamondbacks may then look to move Vazquez to another team since they believe he would demand a trade next winter.

From rotoworld.com

ESPN's Peter Gammons is reporting that a deal sending Randy Johnson to the Yankees for Javier Vazquez could be completed next week.

Boston Dirt Dogs is reporting that the Diamondbacks will receive Vazquez, Eric Duncan, another player (possibly Tom Gordon) and about $4 million for each of the next three seasons to cover Vazquez's contract. The Diamondbacks may then look to move Vazquez to another team since they believe he would demand a trade next winter.

:firing:

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

while we're doing rumors, the DBacks-Sox trade is dead because Zona doesn't want any part of Arroyo.

I agree with Al. When the Marlins signed Benitez, I thought they threw their money away. But after watching him pitch around 50 times this year, I have to say he's the best closer the Marlins had since Robb Nen. Granted, with the likes of Antonio Alfonseca, Vlad Nunez, Michael Tejera, and ugh...Braden Looper all taking shots at it, that doesn't really say much.

He and Pavano are both gone. In the new ESPN the magazine, Pavano pretty much flat out states he's not coming back to Florida. Oh well.

He's not going to perform as well next year as he did this year - especially if he goes to an American League park.

On the plus side, the Marlins will receive several draft picks in return for Pavano and Benitez.

Benitez is a very good reliever when he keeps the ball in the park.

That's like saying Craig Wilson is a good hitter when he manages to avoid striking out or Mike Piazza is a good catcher when he's not trying to throw out a steal at second.

The fact that Benitez can't keep the ball in the park is a MAJOR weakness he has.

I do not think the guy is a good closer. Plain and simple. Yes, he does often get a good number of saves throughout the season - but he does not come through in the clutch at all. He almost always blows the important saves: and if he does that, then what the hell is the point? In 1996, when he was on Baltimore, he blew an important playoff save against the Yankees. Looking past Jeffrey Maier's interference, the ball should have never went that far anyway. In 2000, he botched Game 1 of the World Series against the Yankees. If the Mets would have won that game, the entire outcome of the World Series could have been different. In 2001, when the Mets were making a strong bid for the playoffs in September, who was there to ruin their chances against Atlanta? Why, Benitez, of course -- blowing yet ANOTHER save.

He does not come through at the utmost important times. Playoff games, World Series games, make-or-break season games: Benitez almost always finds a way to fold during those high-pressure situations. To me, that does not spell out a reliable closer - it doesn't even spell out a functional closer. Your worth is cheapened terribly when you manage to win the unimportant games, but break when it comes to the actual important ones.

Might I add I'm almost not impressed when he comes into the game during a save opportunity - gives up a run and three hits - but then finally manages to close it out. That just doesn't spell out a good closer to me.

Let the Giants have him. The Mets suffered with him long enough. And it was only going to be a matter of time until the people in Florida hated him as well.

That's like saying Craig Wilson is a good hitter when he manages to avoid striking out or Mike Piazza is a good catcher when he's not trying to throw out a steal at second.

The fact that Benitez can't keep the ball in the park is a MAJOR weakness he has.

Craig Wilson IS a good hitter. Mike Piazza was a tremendous asset at catcher, and maybe the third best catcher of all time. The home runs are a weakness. That doesn't change the fact that his strikeout rates are tremendous. His career ERA is 52% above the league average. He had a 1.29 ERA last season. He has tremendous numbers. Honestly, how many relievers are better? He's not as good as Rivera or Gagne, but he's above the Percival, Urbina, etc. class of closers.

He does not come through at the utmost important times. Playoff games, World Series games, make-or-break season games: Benitez almost always finds a way to fold during those high-pressure situations. To me, that does not spell out a reliable closer - it doesn't even spell out a functional closer. Your worth is cheapened terribly when you manage to win the unimportant games, but break when it comes to the actual important ones.

Looking past the idea that I don't buy the clutch player phenominon. Of course, every reliever is going to have his hiccups. Benitez was unfortunate to have his worst moments in important games. He's had fantastic series as well. In 1999, he pitched nine postseason innings, allowing only one earned run.

Might I add I'm almost not impressed when he comes into the game during a save opportunity - gives up a run and three hits - but then finally manages to close it out. That just doesn't spell out a good closer to me.

My endorsement of Benitez has NOTHING to do with the save statistic. I abhor it. I simply think Benitez at his best is a sominating closer. I don't buy into the proven closer theory. A good pitcher is a good pitcher. You take a guy who can strike batters out without issuing too many walks, and I'll stick him in the closer role any day. Benitez blew only four saves last year, and two of those came without allowing an earned run.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

The Angels sign Kendry Morales, a Cuban defective who promises big things:

ANAHEIM -- Everyone expected the Angels, under owner Arte Moreno, to be one of the major players this offseason, be it signing an elite free agent such as Carlos Beltran, trading for an All-Star like Randy Johnson or even signing their top draft pick, Jered Weaver.

All that could still happen. But the club's first big splash of the Hot Stove season came from an entirely different source.

The Angels and Cuban defector Kendry Morales, a power-hitting youngster described by some baseball observers as the best position player to come out of his country in decades, agreed Wednesday to terms on a six-year Major League contract.

Morales is a 21-year-old switch-hitting corner infielder/outfielder currently stationed in the Dominican Republic. The Angels think Morales is ready for the Majors right now.

"In my opinion, he is," Angels scouting director Eddie Bane, who has watched Morales for years, said in a conference call.

Bane added that "we've chased Kendry since he was 16 because we knew what a good hitter he was."

When he was 19, Morales not only was the first teenager to play for Cuba's potent national team since third baseman Omar Linares in the 1980s, he was its cleaup hitter.

Morales, who was set to begin play for Estrella Del Oriente in the Dominican Winter League on Wednesday night, was "elated and ecstatic" when told of the deal, his agent, David Valdes, said by telephone from South Florida.

The Angels said in a news release that "the agreement is conditional upon Morales, as a Cuban national, receiving clearance to enter into a contract with the Angels from the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control."

But Valdes stressed that he has gone through this process before with other Cuban athletes, and that Morales' clearance should come quickly. "It won't take very long," Valdes said.

Morales has already passed his Angels physical (taken in the Dominican Republic), general manager Bill Stoneman said, so soon they'll be able to focus their full attention on where he will play.

The Angels already appear set at the corner infield and outfield positions next season. "Well, we also have a DH spot open," said Stoneman, who admitted he has not seen a whole lot of Morales. "Anything can happen."

Stoneman said Morales' deal will be only a part of what the Angels plan to do in preparing for the 2005 season and that they will attempt to add other players via free agency or otherwise. He previously stated that their priorities are starting pitching and center field.

"We operate under a budget, and certainly we've allocated some of it to Kendry Morales," Stoneman said.

He also said the Angels will still try to sign Weaver, their highly touted No. 1 pick in the 2004 First-Year Player Draft who reportedly is seeking a lucrative contract under the direction of agent Scott Boras.

Financial details of Morales' aggrement were not disclosed, although a source with knowledge of the deal said it included a signing bonus of several million dollars.

Morales was suspended by Cuban authorities last December after they suspected he was planning to defect. He did so in early June, arriving in Miami by boat. Major League Baseball declared him a free agent late in the 2004 season, setting the wheels in motion for a number of teams to bid on his services. Among the clubs with reported interested were New York's Mets and Yankees.

Because of his problems in Cuba, Morales has not played much organized ball of late, though Stoneman said completing the Winter League season should leave him in good stead heading into Spring Training. Two years ago, in his last full season in the Cuban League, Morales hit .324 with 21 homers and 82 RBIs for Havana's Industrialists, setting seven rookie records along the way.

He hadn't played Winter Ball before Wednesday because of fear of injury. Now, "he's getting at-bats, facing great competition," Valdes said. "The next step is to get in shape, compete in Spring Training."

One of Estrella's coaches is Charlie Romero, who runs the Angels' academy in San Pedro in the Dominican Republic, Stoneman said. That should help him learn more about the club. But apparently Morales already is familiar with the Angels.

"He knew who was on our club," said Bane, part of the Angels' contingent that recently spent a week with Morales in the Dominican Republic. "He knew about Vladimir [Guerrero]. He knew about Mr. Moreno. And it wasn't from his agent or adviser. He knew the parameters here, and it was important to him."

The Angels have a large group of Latinos in their organization, including Moreno. And while Valdes said that played a part in Morales' decision, "it's only a part of it," he said. Valdes added that Morales also knows that Moreno is committed to winning.

Morales doesn't speak much English right now, but it's a priority for him," according to Valdes. "He knows he has to jump on that," the agent said.

All parties agree that will only make his acclimation to the United States that much easier -- he has no family here, Bane said -- which in turn will make his transition to the Major Leagues that much smoother.

And that's what he wants to do more than anything -- play baseball.

"It was a tough time for him in Cuba," Valdes said. "He just loves to play the game. They took away his life. And now he is realizing his dream of getting a Major League contract. He is elated."

Pitchers Rolando Arrojo, Danys Baez, Jose Contreras, Adrian Hernandez, Livan Hernandez, Orlando Hernandez, Vladimir Nunez, Eddie Oropesa and Michael Tejera, as well as shortstop Rey Ordonez, are among Major Leaguers who defected from Cuba in the last 15 years.

I think I am happy about this, but how much cash does this take away from getting top class starting pitching, center fielder, and a shortstop?

Oh and breaking news:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi injected himself with human growth hormone in 2003 and also used steroids for at least three seasons, according to his grand jury testimony obtained by the San Francisco Chronicle.

The testimony, given in December 2003 to the federal grand jury investigating the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative (BALCO), contradicts Giambi's public proclamations that he never used performance-enhancing drugs.

According to the transcripts reviewed by the Chronicle, Giambi described how he injected human growth hormone in his stomach and testosterone into his buttocks, rubbed an undetectable steroid known as "the cream" on his body and placed drops of another, called "the clear," under his tongue, the Chronicle reported on its Web site Wednesday night.

Giambi testified that he obtained several different steroids from Barry Bonds' personal trainer, Greg Anderson, who is one of four men indicted by the grand jury investigating BALCO. He said he got the human growth hormone from a gym in Las Vegas.

Anderson's attorney, Tony Serra, declined comment to the Chronicle, citing a court order.

Anderson, BALCO founder Victor Conte, vice president James Valente and track coach Remi Korchemny all have pleaded not guilty to the charges, which include steroid distribution.

On Wednesday, a federal judge said she would not immediately dismiss the charges in response to accusations that prosecutors illegally searched BALCO headquarters and Anderson's house and car. U.S. District Judge Susan Illston said she may conduct hearings on the matter in January.

Giambi was among dozens of elite athletes -- including Bonds, Gary Sheffield and track stars Tim Montgomery and Marion Jones -- who answered the grand jury's questions last year. Bonds, Jones and Montgomery deny using illegal drugs, but Sheffield told Sports Illustrated and ESPN earlier this year that he used "the cream" and "the clear" from BALCO, which he said unknowingly to him contained illegal steroids.

The Chronicle reported in October that, on a nine-minute recording it had obtained, a speaker the paper identified as Anderson is heard saying Bonds used an "undetectable" performance-enhancing drug during the 2003 season.

Giambi met Anderson when the trainer joined Bonds on an All-Star tour in Japan in November 2002. Giambi said he wanted to know what Bonds' secret for success was.

"So I started to ask him: 'Hey, what are the things you're doing with Barry? He's an incredible player. I want to still be able to work out at that age and keep playing,'" Giambi testified, according to the Chronicle. "And that's how the conversation first started."

After returning to the United States, Anderson told Giambi he could provide him with performance-enhancing drugs and suggested Giambi stop taking the steroid Deca Durabolin, which he had obtained from the Las Vegas gym, because it stays in the system too long, the paper reported. Giambi said he started using Deca Durabolin in 2001.

Giambi said Anderson never told him that Bonds used performance-enhancing drugs.

"You know, I assumed because he's Barry's trainer -- you know, Barry -- but he never said one time, 'This is what Barry's taking, this is what Barry's doing,'" Giambi testified. "He never gave up another name that he was dealing with or doing anything with."

Prosecutors confronted Giambi with a calendar seized from Anderson's home that detailed Giambi's schedule of drug use.

Giambi said he didn't notice a "huge difference" in his performance after starting to use illegal drugs.

Giambi came to Spring Training this year looking noticeably trimmer as baseball began a steroid-testing program that included punishments for the first time. Asked in February whether he had ever taken performance-enhancing drugs, Giambi said: "Are you talking about steroids? No."

Giambi won the American League Most Valuable Player Award in 2000 with Oakland and signed a $120 million, seven-year free-agent contract with the Yankees after the 2001 season. He hit 155 homers from 1999-2002 and batted over .300 each season, but injuries slowed him down the last two years.

Bothered by a balky knee, Giambi hit just .250 in 2003. Giambi batted .208 and played in only 80 games in 2004, missing time because of a tumor, which the New York Daily News reported was in his pituitary gland. Medical experts told the Chronicle that Clomid, a drug Giambi said he thought Anderson had given him, can exacerbate a tumor of the pituitary gland.

Giambi's younger brother, Jeremy, who spent 2004 in the minors and last played in the Majors with Boston in 2003, also testified that he used performance-enhancing drugs given to him by Anderson, according to the Chronicle.

Guest MentallyNormal

Da Juice! Da Juice! Da Juice! oh man

So Far that's

Ken Caminiti

Jose Canseco

Giambi

They all fessed up. Are there any others that fessed up? Those steroids surely screw up his body. In his buttocks,under his tongue,in his stomach man friggin A man. Damn the guy was pretty good before he said he took steroid,now he is just a walking drug lab with broken beakers and flaming bunsen burners. Was it really worth it?

Did Brady Anderson confess to roids? Was he on them?

On a far lower-profile pitching front than the Johnson sweepstakes, the Yankees are close to bringing back old friend Mike Stanton from the Mets in exchange for fellow lefty reliever Felix Heredia, the Daily News has learned.

Final details of the deal - resolving the $2 million difference between Stanton's and Heredia's contracts - were being worked out yesterday. In addition, the 37-year-old Stanton, who felt betrayed by the Yankees after being cut loose by them in 2002, was said to have requested to talk to Yankee GM Brian Cashman.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...9p-221122c.html

So what if the Yankees and Mets exchange crap for crap?

I would lean towards yes. He'll always be compared to his roided-up self, and will be held under so much scrutiny if he cannot prove that he can play without the juice. If the Yankees find a way to void his contract, he very well could be done.

Yeah, it's not hot stove news, but this has to a little embarrassing for Jose Lima:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2927860

Woman awarded $475,000 in her suit against Lima

Plaintiff said the pitcher never told her he has herpes

By ROBERT CROWE

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

A Harris County jury awarded nearly $500,000 in damages to a Spring woman who said she contracted genital herpes from Los Angeles Dodges pitcher José Lima, a former Astro.

Lawyers for Michelle E. Rudolph, 27, said she learned she was infected in February 2003, about a week after she last had sex with Lima, and said he never warned her that he had the disease.

Lima's lawyers, who plan to appeal, said Lima did not know he was infected until after his relationship with Rudolph ended.

Jurors in the 280th Civil District Court awarded Rudolph $475,000 in damages after hearing closing arguments Wednesday.

Earlier this year, a different jury awarded Rudolph $15,000 but gave her no money for pain and suffering. A judge granted Rudolph a retrial, and she sought damages of about $500,000.

Rudolph's lawyers argued Wednesday that Lima should have told her he was infected with herpes.

"My client is obviously pleased with the verdict," said Chad W. Dunn, Rudolph's lawyer. "She would certainly give up all the money to make the disease go away, but she realizes this is the next best thing."

Lima's lawyers said he did not know he was infected before Rudolph was tested.

"The verdict is not supported by any evidence whatsoever," said Ralphaell Wilkins, Lima's lawyer.

In closing arguments, he said Lima should not be held responsible for transmitting a disease he didn't know he had. Wilkins said most of the millions of people who contract herpes annually never file lawsuits against sexual partners.

"This disease spreads because most people don't know they are infected," he said. "José Lima was a target in this case."

The Astros traded Lima, who won 21 games here in 1999, to the Detroit Tigers in 2001.