TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

Wade Miller signs a 1 year deal with Boston.

Thank you Theo :)

Base salary of $1.5 Million, and Miller can earn up to $3 Million more via incentives. This is a reasonable risk for the Red Sox.

We've built a very solid rotation.

Schilling

Clement

Wells

Miller(Assuming healthy, he could be our #4 SP)

Arroyo

Wakefield(If Miller's healthy and Schill returns, could return to pen/spot start)

Count me in on the praise for the Miller signing, but that now makes THREE guys on the team whose name sounds the same but is spelled differently (Miller, Mueller, Millar). Can we find another spelling?

Oh, and those who have NESN: The Red Sox movie is on. I watched it Thanksgiving night. Pretty crappy, actually. I wanted to duct tape Angry Bill's and those two annoying ugly broads' mouths shut.

Count me in on the praise for the Miller signing, but that now makes THREE guys on the team whose name sounds the same but is spelled differently (Miller, Mueller, Millar). Can we find another spelling?

The Phillies have both Lieber and Lieberthal. Almost makes me wish we had Travis Lee back.

We've built a very solid rotation.

Schilling

Clement

Wells

Miller(Assuming healthy, he could be our #4 SP)

Arroyo

Wakefield(If Miller's healthy and Schill returns, could return to pen/spot start)

Why would you waste a knuckleballer in the bullpen? Wade Miller will injure himself soon enough anyway.

And also, I hate hate hate six-man rotations.

Actually, I'd keep Wake in there and put Miller in the pen until it is clear that he can stay in the rotation instead of yanking Wake around (he's fine at the 4 or 5 spot, IMO).

Seriously.

There was a period from when El Duque came back, until Moose got hot near the end of the season, when none of the starting pitchers could do anything right.

I think the Giants were the obvious candidates to snag Alou, since Father Alou is the manager and all. Still, picking up a guy who causes problems, is on the decline, did poorly away from a hitter's ballpark last year, to play in a PITCHER'S park is a big risk. Especially when they've already got that Bonds guy in left.

Guest Failed Mascot
Base salary of $1.5 Million, and Miller can earn up to $3 Million more via incentives. This is a reasonable risk for the Red Sox.

I think this is an exceptional signing. Wade Miller has 20 game winner stuff, its just his health that raises question marks.

I think the Giants were the obvious candidates to snag Alou, since Father Alou is the manager and all. Still, picking up a guy who causes problems, is on the decline, did poorly away from a hitter's ballpark last year, to play in a PITCHER'S park is a big risk. Especially when they've already got that Bonds guy in left.

Maybe they won't have that Bonds guy in left. Still wouldn't rule out him retiring after the BALCO fall out.

Anyways Alou will give new meaning to "splash hits."

"That's not water kids!"

Guest Failed Mascot

Barry can put a little cup underneathe Moises' hands and catch whatever doesn't hit when its time for testing.

I would have liked to keep El Duque out of sentimental reasons, but his "dead arm" near the end of last year was not a good sign, especially considering that he didn't even pitch half the year in the bigs for us, and there's *still* a mystery over how old he really is.....

I love the guy, and I have a ton of respect for what he can do in a Yankees uniform, but I think he's a huge bust for the White Sox, just like he was for Montreal.

Guest Wart

"Sources told the Houston Chronicle that the Astros made Carlos Beltran a new offer -- possibly topping $96 million over six years -- during Wednesday's meeting."

I also agree that the Wade Miller signing was great by the Sox. Stupid Astro's :(

Astros had to non-tender Miller. They couldn't risk having to pay him $4mil+ guaranteed via arbitration when they don't know if he's going to be able to pitch or not. It's just too much money to risk.

Now if you want to call them stupid for not locking him into an incentive-laden deal with a low guarantee like the Red Sox wisely did, fine, they probably deserve it.

You shouldn't worry too much, though. They still have Tim Redding.

And if that offer to Beltran is real, I'll say that that will be enough and he'll be back in Houston next year.

Credit my source that I always use...

New York Mets have reportedly signed C Ramon Castro(.135/.231/.260 in 32 games with Florida) and OF Kerry Robinson(.293/.330/.337 in 80 games for San Diego) to MLCs.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays signed 1B Josh Phelps(.270/.317/.498 in 103 games between Cleveland and Toronto) to a 1 year contract.

Florida Marlins have reached a preliminary agreement with MR John Riedling(5.10 ERA in 70 games with Cincinnati) to a 1 year, $750K contract.

San Diego Padres signed OF Mark Sweeney(.266/.377/.508 in 122 games with Colorado) to a 1 year, $550K contract.

St. Louis Cardinals re-signed OF So Taguchi(.291/.337/.419 in 109 games) to a 1 year, $550K contract.

St. Louis Cardinals signed MR Mike Myers(4.54 ERA in 75 games between Seattle and Boston) to a 1 year, $600K contract.

Washington Nationals re-signed C Brian Schneider(.257/.325/.399 in 135 games) to a 1 year, $2 Million contract.

San Diego Padres signed OF Dave Roberts(.255/.335/.399 in 113 games between Los Angeles and Boston) to a 1 year, $1.35 Million contract.

Cleveland Indians re-signed SP Billy Traber(5.24 ERA in 33 games, 18 starts) to an MLC and invited him to spring training.

Guest Failed Mascot

he still crushes lefties though. Having Phelps as a power hitting right handed bat to come off the bench or to DH against lefty starters isn't a bad thing at all.

Yeah, he should pan out to be a good platoon player, his stats picked up once he went to Cleveland, but Toronto was expecting him to be a star. He'll fit in nice in Tampa Bay. He's making 800,000 with 200,000 in possible incentives, so it's low risk.

- Yankees have broken off talks with Eric Milton (THANK GOD). Apparently the Marlins and Dodgers are the top suitors.

- Yankees have resigned Tanyon Sturtze as a long reliever for a guaranteed $1 million (THANK GOD! This guy was great down the stretch last season and I thought he might get lost in the shuffle).

- White Sox and Devil Rays have talked to David Eckstein

- Esteban Loiza has some interest from Cleveland, LA and Washington but has semi-steep demands

- Cleveland may be looking at Kevin Millwood

- Boston looking to move Byung-Hyun Kim, Brewers and Rockies have interest

Indeed...

He has a career .302/.366/.523 line vs lefties in 354 career AB's. However his line vs righties is awful. .252/.323/.459 in 691 career AB's and he K's 4 times as much as he walks vs right handers compared to 3 times as much vs lefties which still isn't comforting.

Milwaukee or Colorado? Screw players, just send them enough beer to drop the price at the park a few bucks and/or provide a constant beer IV for David Wells every fifth day.

I don't know if that was a good or bad trade, since Kim really didn't do much, but it opened the door for Bill Mueller and David Ortiz to get more playing time.