TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

The Marlins have offered Carlos Delgado the richest contract in team history. 3 years, 35 million. It's also been reported that is the best offer he has received yet.

If he wants to play for a winner, it's time for him to prove it. If he signs with the Marlins it would be huge.

More recruiting visits by the Mets (Carlos Delgado)

Now that the Mets have reeled in Carlos Beltran, they're turning their attention to Carlos Delgado.

The Mets and Delgado's camp are working to put together a meeting late this week, a source told ESPN.com.

The meeting is expected to include Delgado, agent David Sloane, Mets GM Omar Minaya and Mets owner Fred Wilpon.

The session also is an indication that even though the Mets have committed $172 million to Beltran and Pedro Martinez this winter, they're not through -- and haven't even reached their budget limit. They still haven't ruled out trading for Sammy Sosa, in fact.

Delgado also has received offers from the Orioles, Rangers and Marlins. And the Tigers, A's, Giants and Red Sox could have interest under certain circumstances, or if they're able to make other moves to free up money, a lineup spot or both.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1963769

Given that the Dodgers just got a portion of Shawn Green's salary off of the books, I can imagine them making a run at Delgado. The Mets will somehow be in there too, as I can't imagine them moving forward with Cliff Floyd at 1B and Victor Diaz in LF.

Ace pitcher Randy Johnson was in New York on Monday morning to take his physical examination before formally signing with the Yankees, but he wasn't quite in "start spreadin' the news" mode.

Here's the article/video from CBS 2...(video plays only in IE)

http://cbsnewyork.com/topstories/topstorie..._010111516.html

He's FUGLY without the mustache.

Guest Failed Mascot

Remember when the Yankees were supposedly the "class" of baseball? Now they're all roided up, cheating, over paid assholes with anger issues. Some of which are nearing the end of their careers.

So apparently all that stands between Derek Lowe and a 4-year, $36M contract with the Dodgers is a physical, which Lowe is heading to LA for.

Pitching in the NL should help him, as well as pitching in Dodger Stadium, but the guy is wildly inconsistent during the season.

Remember when the Yankees were supposedly the "class" of baseball? Now they're all roided up, cheating, over paid assholes with anger issues. Some of which are nearing the end of their careers.

Way to make a first impression Randy. You pretty much showed the New York media how thin skinned on you are.

And reliever Billy Koch has returned to the team's bullpen, after stints with the A's, White Sox, and Marlins:

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?id=110749

Oh, goody. Just what they needed.

Man, this team is going to suck this season.

I've got a more substantial write-up of the Blue Jays in the works. For now I'll say I really think this team will finish above the .500 mark.

Given that the Dodgers just got a portion of Shawn Green's salary off of the books, I can imagine them making a run at Delgado. The Mets will somehow be in there too, as I can't imagine them moving forward with Cliff Floyd at 1B and Victor Diaz in LF.

I think the Dodgers have essentially spent the $16 Million on Odalis Perez and Derek Lowe. A lot of analysts downgrade Hee Seop Choi, but I think he should become an acceptable first baseman.

And reliever Billy Koch has returned to the team's bullpen, after stints with the A's, White Sox, and Marlins:

I've got a more substantial write-up of the Blue Jays in the works. For now I'll say I really think this team will finish above the .500 mark.

I'll be interested to see it. Right now, they don't have a whole lot more than the Ewing Theory going for them, from what I've seen.

Guest Failed Mascot
Who is the Bluejays manager?

John Gibbons according to the Blue Jays page on ESPN.com

I'll be interested to see it. Right now, they don't have a whole lot more than the Ewing Theory going for them, from what I've seen.

The Blue Jays have several substantial prospects entering as soon as this year, including David Bush, Russ Adams, Alexis Rios, Brandon League, and Guillermo Quiroz. In addition, they solidified their bullpen, they should get a full season of Roy Halladay, and their starting lineup should perform better. Nearly every player on the Jays last season performed at the low end of their ability. A few will doubtlessly rebound.

I would also add that given Billy Kock's previous success, taking a flier on him is not a bad idea. He could pay off like Benitez did for the Marlins, and if not its just a $900,000 loss.

Guest Failed Mascot
I would also add that given Billy Kock's previous success

I can't tell if Al is insulting Billy Koch or if he made a genuine typo.

No typo. Koch was dominant in previous years, before he sputtered in 2003. He struck out over a batter an inning last season. If he can harness his control, he can be an effective reliever again.

EDIT: Ok, I see it now. Yes, that is a genuine typo.

Guest Failed Mascot

I had to ask. While I've never seen Al make quirky nicknames out of players' names to make fun of them, he hasn't spoken well of Koch in the past either. So ya never know.

All that aside though I'm surprised the Mets didn't go after him. He would once again be pitching in a pitcher's haven and would be working with Rick Peterson; the man that helped him turn things around in Oakland.

If Toronto was in the Central, with the prospects that they have, they could be the dominant team in the division for years. Alas, they are in the East behind Boston & New York, so it would take a miracle to get into the playoffs under the current system.

If Toronto was in the Central, with the prospects that they have, they could be the dominant team in the division for years. Alas, they are in the East behind Boston & New York, so it would take a miracle to get into the playoffs under the current system.

Their chances look bleak, but no one knows what the future might bring. I have the feeling the Yankee dynasty will crumble within a few years. Remember the Blue Jays fared well in the AL East for a number of years.

If Toronto was in the Central, with the prospects that they have, they could be the dominant team in the division for years.  Alas, they are in the East behind Boston & New York, so it would take a miracle to get into the playoffs under the current system.

Their chances look bleak, but no one knows what the future might bring. I have the feeling the Yankee dynasty will crumble within a few years. Remember the Blue Jays fared well in the AL East for a number of years.

You mean it hasn't already? I'm aware that as a Cubs fan, I have little room to speak, but I'd say that for all intentive purposes, the Yankees' dynsasty at this time is non-existent. Kudos for getting to the postseason each year, but just because you do that and shill out millions for over-hyped players doesn't qualify as a dynasty.

Guest Failed Mascot

Well Jarid Wright and Carl Pavano are a start.

Wright will spend significant time on the DL and Pavano won't make the transition over to the AL well IMO.

Also Randy Johnson's knee has no more cartilage...seeing as how he's going to need to throw alot more pitches because of AL line-ups being stronger I could see him have a 16 win this year and then next year start to decline.

Guest jonstreich
3. The Brewers had an excellent offseason, and have good prospects coming down the pike. With the Astros weakened by the loss of Kent, Beltran and possibly Clemens, it would not shock me to see the Brewers finish in the first division.

That's all I needed to hear.

Also, I don't know if you've seen this yet Al, Baseball America has a round table on stats vs scouts. It makes for a good, if not long read.

intentive purposes

intents and purposes

intestines and porpoises

BTW, the Beltran press conference is at 11AM ET, and Randy "HAY" Johnson's is at 2PM.

And the D-Backs will win it all because they signed Shawn "I missed Clemens' big fat ass" Estes... :lol: