TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

Cashman just took a cheap shot at A-Rod, without actually saying his name.

"We sacrifice bunted with Jeter a couple times, but we couldn't get it done. Guess we won't we doing that anymore."

And atleast Cashman is admiting his faults.

"We tried getting younger and better with Vazquez instead of somebody old like Schilling, and it didn't work out. Things don't always go right."

And he also said the players might have thought the Red Sox were going to lay down and die after game 3, and they didn't bring it 100% psychologically.

Guest Anglesault
"We tried getting younger and better with Vazquez instead of somebody old like Schilling, and it didn't work out. Things don't always go right."

This idea that younger is automatically better is one of the most asinine mentalities going around baseball these days.

I don't give a damn how much older Curt Schilling or Randy Johnson are. Javier Vazquez just simply isn't as good. In five years, maybe. Not now. And this team, at this point, is not in the position to wait five years to let the guy pull his head out of his ass, only to find out that he'll never become as good as Schilling or Johnson.

"But he's younger!"

::smacks head into wall repeatedly.::

This idea that younger is automatically better is one of the most asinine mentalities going around baseball these days.

I don't give a damn how much older Curt Schilling or Randy Johnson are. Javier Vazquez just simply isn't as good. In five years, maybe. Not now. And this team, at this point, is not in the position to wait five years to let the guy pull his head out of his ass, only to find out that he'll never become as good as Schilling or Johnson.

"But he's younger!"

::smacks head into wall repeatedly.::

I don't agree with the specific example, because we didn't know that Vazquez would perform so horribly before the season. But I agree with the overall point. I think those in the sabermetric community are too quick to criticize a team signing a veteran, when he takes the playing time of a younger player. Sometimes, this is valid, when the veteran is not as good as people think, and the young player has proven his ability (for example, the Pirates signing Randall Simon and Raul Mondesi when they had Craig Wilson). But sometimes, a young player might not develop as you expect, and a veteran saves your season simply by plugging that hole in your lineup.

The problem with veterans is that signing baseball players is a risk/reward venture. You will always have risk when you sign players. The key is to minimize that risk. Veteran players have a habit of suffering more frequent injuries, and suffering declines in performances. So you need to factor that stuff into your decision making. But a smart club never entirely excludes a player based on a single factor (in this case age).

Guest Anglesault
I don't agree with the specific example, because we didn't know that Vazquez would perform so horribly before the season.

We knew he wasn't going to be Schilling or Johnson. I think that's pretty safe. They tried to convince us that we were getting a ten-year-younger Curt Schilling. Instead, we got Curt Schilling ten years ago.

TSN.ca Staff

10/29/2004

With free agency on the horizon, big names are being bandied about in the Hot Stove League.  Ace pitchers and slugging outfielders could be on the move, while the Braves might be making a retro move in their rotation, all in this week's edition of Between The Lines.

AROUND THE MAJORS

- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the Braves are considering moving John Smoltz back into the starting rotation.  The 37 year-old hasn't been a starter since having elbow surgery in 1999, but he won the Cy Young Award in 1996 after posting a 24-8 record.  The Braves have three starters -- Russ Ortiz, Jaret Wright and Paul Byrd -- eligible for free agency.

- New York Newsday reports that new Mets GM Omar Minaya is looking to make a splash in the off-season, and deals that are being talked about include Magglio Ordonez, Sammy Sosa and even World Series MVP Manny Ramirez.  Shortstop Jose Reyes is also being mentioned as possible tradebait.

- Not to be outdone, the Yankees are in a pitching frame of mind, according to the New York Post, talking about deals for Randy Johnson or Tim Hudson, signing the likes of Carl Pavano, Eric Milton and Pedro Martinez with marquee CF Carlos Beltran also oft-mentioned as a possible Yankee.

- After the World Series collapse, the Cardinals are looking at acquiring pitchers, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, including free agent Carl Pavano and/or star lefty Randy Johnson.  The paper mentions the possibility of sending Jason Marquis as part of a package to Arizona.

- The Chicago Sun-Times reports that the Cubs might be interested in bringing back SS Nomar Garciaparra, if the deal is in the neighbourhood of three years at $7-million to $8-million per season.

- 3B Vinny Castilla and the Colorado Rockies are having difficulty coming to an agreement, according to the Denver Post, increasing the likelihood that the free agent could end up elsewhere.

- Following a dismal finish to his year in pinstripes, Kevin Brown is likely headedout of town, according to the New York Daily News.  Brown, a Georgia native, could be offered to the Braves, with the Yankees picking up a large portion, if not all, of Brown's $15-million salary.

- The Los Angeles Times reports that Angels closer Troy Percival has already been contacted by four or five teams, but one of them is not the Angels.

- The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Austin Kearns is working at third base in an attempt to fill a hole that has plagued the Reds for some time.  If Kearns moved from right field, it would likely open up a regular spot for Wily Mo Pena as well.  At the same time, the Toronto Sun mentions that the Blue Jays have offered 3B Eric Hinske in a trade to the Reds.

- It's undetermined, at this point, just what position Craig Biggio will play for the Houston Astros in 2005, after the club picked up his option.  After Jeff Kent's option wasn't picked up, there is the possibility that Biggio could return to second base if prospect Chris Burke isn't capable of handling the position.  The Astros may also bring Kent back, if they can negotiate a more reasonable price than his $9-million option.

- The Dayton Daily News proposes the Reds bringing back Pokey Reese to step in for departing legendary shortstop Barry Larkin next season.

- The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Indians maintain interest in Cuban free agent switch-hitter Kendry Morales.

A's Free Agents:

Jermaine Dye - they had a mutual option of $14 million on him and no shock at all they didn't pick it up. With Nick Swisher waiting in the wings there's little chance the A's would bring him back. I expect him to end up with the Giants.

Damian Miller - I think the A's were really happy with him last year and would like to bring him back. But they have to rest him more early in the season as he just hit a wall the last two months of the season. I expect him to be back.

Chris Hammond - Had an okay year as a two to three inning guy. No real idea if the A's will bring him back.

Jim Mecir, Mark McLemore - both retiring.

Arb Eligible

Erubial Durazo - there is little doubt in my mind Beane will try to ink him to a long term deal. He was the A's best offensive player over the entire season last year. He hasn't provided the power they expected when they traded for him but he is a very good hitter. On a related note I think they will trade Scott Hatteberg and have Dan Johnson take over first.

Octavio Dotel - not expecting a long term deal here, or necesarrily wanting one, but I think he'll be back unless Beane has another idea at closer. After the Arthur Rhodes debacle I think Beane will be less likely to take a chance at closer and just bring Dotel back on a one-year deal.

Chad Bradford - really struggled this year and has become a ROOGY. Macha and A's fans were deathly afraid to see him against lefties the last two years. He'll be cheap so he might be back unless they think he's declined too much to be useful anymore.

I think Eric Byrnes might be arb eligible but don't officially know if that's true.

Possible contract extension

Tim Hudson - This is really the A's #1 priority this offseason as he's a free agent after next year. With the struggles of Zito and now the huge questions about Mark Mulder after his collapse at the end of the season Hudson seems to be the one of the TAFKA Big Three that the A's will make a real effort to keep. Problem is of course, as always, is ownership. Steve Schott might use not making the playoffs as a reason to be even cheaper than normal as he lost out on a chance to gouge his fans on ALDS tickets and get his precious postseason revenue. Really it all is in his hands if Beane can sign Hudson to a long term deal unless Hudson makes some outrageous demands. I think $12-13 million a year is likely.

I don't agree with the specific example, because we didn't know that Vazquez would perform so horribly before the season.

We knew he wasn't going to be Schilling or Johnson. I think that's pretty safe. They tried to convince us that we were getting a ten-year-younger Curt Schilling. Instead, we got Curt Schilling ten years ago.

Again, its easy to say that in hindsight. There were very real concerns about Johnson's ability to pitch effectively, due to his knee injury last year. I got him in the TSM fantasy draft in the third or fourth round.

Since no one's said it yet, Palmeiro re-signed with the O's for one year.

EDIT - I see now that Raffy was resigned to be a DH and also to ensure that he gets 3,000 hits in an Os uniform (he needs 78 hits). Gibbons still plays RF and they are making a run after Delgado to play first, which would be the bat that they need.

The O's had no major losses due to FA, in fact they finally are going to get rid of Segui and Cordova...time to Celebrate that.

The Orioles need another bat and at least 1, if not 2 starting pitchers. I've got a feeling that they will make a run at Lowe, which might work out but probably not. I also wouldn't mind them going after Clement, which would be a better move than Lowe. They have the money to spend so hopefully they will make some moves..

Guest Anglesault

Again, its easy to say that in hindsight. There were very real concerns about Johnson's ability to pitch effectively, due to his knee injury last year. I got him in the TSM fantasy draft in the third or fourth round.

The Vazquez vs. Johnson thing actually became more of an issue in the middle of the season, when it looked like they might be traded for each other.

Guest Anglesault
Since no one's said it yet, Palmeiro re-signed with the O's for one year.

EDIT - I see now that Raffy was resigned to be a DH and also to ensure that he gets 3,000 hits in an Os uniform (he needs 78 hits). Gibbons still plays RF and they are making a run after Delgado to play first, which would be the bat that they need.

I don't think a bat was exactly their pressing need.

Guest cpac

I am not in Yankee denial. The Red Sox unfortunately made a historic comeback against my beloved Yankees. All I was saying is that the Yankees lost the series in Game Five. They had a great chance to end the series right than and there and didn't. They choked. I think as punishment each and every single one who comes back next year should be forced to watch several hours of highlights from games four through seven of boston bitching them. And honestly I am happy that the Yankees open up in Boston for opening day. The way the Yankees sucked the big one they deserve to have it rubbed in their fucking faces that Boston beat the Yankees and ended the curse. Maybe that might motivate the biggest group of losers to actually win. OO and Lieber is welcome back any day of the week by me. Just as long as Vasquez and Kevin dumbass Brown get deported out of the Bronx.

Guest Banders Kennany

I think your Yanks will be in a position to cream those Bosoz on opening day if they make all the offseason moves they want, with Steinbrenner's checvkbook as an afterthought. Beltran and Clement I am almost sure will be Bronx-bound. Now they just need a couple starters or relievers to shore up their pitching.

Guest Banders Kennany

I'm not a Yanks fan mind you, I'm always pulling 100% for my KS Royals. I hope maybe we can get Jermaine Dye on the cheapie. A home run in his first major league at bat you know.

Guest Anglesault
I think your Yanks will be in a position to cream those Bosoz on opening day

Couldn't give a shit what they do on opening day, to be honest with you.

Guest cpac

Jermaine Dye was good with the Royals, I still cant believe the Braves traded him for Michael Tucker. I rather see the Yankees win the last game of the season than the first one.

Guest Anglesault

You know, whoever's been changing the sigs of the Yankee fans, you're honestly, no where near as clever as you think you are. I don't have a problem really (I just think the two times you did it to me, it was lame as hell. "This is gay" and "Everyone can do it") I mean come, on, at least make it witty.

Jermaine Dye was good with the Royals, I still cant believe the Braves traded him for Michael Tucker. I rather see the Yankees win the last game of the season than the first one.

In March 1997, Dye was traded to the Kansas City Royals for the more experienced and popular Michael Tucker and utility infielder Keith Lockhart. Though manager Tony Muser had high hopes for Dye, he spent much of '97 and '98 on the disabled list with various injuries, including torn cartilage in his knee, sustained when he was getting into a car in August 1998.

But 1999 proved to be Dye's coming out party. After Jeff Conine was traded to the Baltimore Orioles, a strong performance in spring training earned Dye the starting job in rightfield, and he responded by slugging six homers and driving in 20 through April. By the end of the year, the outfielder had exploded for 27 home runs and 119 RBIs, quickly losing his unofficial title as "the player traded for Michael Tucker," and he was placed in the cleanup spot behind the powerful Mike Sweeney.

By the time he was worth anything (1999 and 2000) he was already an injury risk (1997, 1998 and later 2003) and painfully average for a player that would later command $11.6 million in his final two years in Oakland.

1997:

Lockhart: .279/.337/.476 in utility role in 96 games played.

Tucker: .283/.347/.445/14 HR/56 RBI in 138 games played.

Dye: .236/.284/.369/7 HR/22 RBI in 75 games played.

1998:

Lockhart: .257/.311/.388 in 109 games played.

Tucker:.244/.327/.418/13 HR/46 RBI in 130 games played.

Dye:.234/.270/.336/5 HR/26 RBI in 60 games played.

Additionally, this is all while the contracts were basically a wash:

1997:

Tucker : 250,000

Dye: 175,000

1998:

Tucker: 370,000

Dye: 230,000

In all fairness, once Clement started getting run support the last month or two of the season, he was getting shelled on a regular basis. I don't know what the hell happened, but I'd be very weary of signing him if I looked at his performances from late August on.

Anglesault, the size of your graphic is really annoying. Can you minimize it?

Or is it proportional to the size of the choke-job the Yankees did...

No, that'd be the BIGGEST CHOKE IN THE HISTORY OF SPORTS.

*Looks surprised* REALLY!? MY GOD!

Guest cpac

Yeah I know Jermaine Dye is an injury plauged player. But I remember him having a decent season in 1996 with the braves in his rookie year. Why trade him for michael tucker. It made zero sense to me and still doesn't. This is when Jermaine was an up and coming decent rookie who wasn't injury plagued.

Yankees Declined the 2005 contract option on first baseman Travis Lee; declined the 2006 contract option on pitcher Paul Quantrill

Red Sox exercise the 2005 option for Bill Mueller

Guest cpac

Manny and his non hussling sorry ass fielding should not be busting on Jeter. Hey Manny when you learn how to run out a grounder or a fly out and actually learn how to catch a fucking baseball maybe than you can bust on Jeter. But until that day happens dont go throwing rocks when you live in a glass house with your faggot haircut.

Guest cpac

AAAAAAA no more QuaGorMo. This is a sad day in Yankee land. Thanks for giving up the homerun to shrek.

Manny and his non hussling sorry ass fielding should not be busting on Jeter. Hey Manny when you learn how to run out a grounder or a fly out and actually learn how to catch a fucking baseball maybe than you can bust on Jeter. But until that day happens dont go throwing rocks when you live in a glass house with your faggot haircut.

Manny Ramirez - Defending World Series Champion.