TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

Guest OSIcon

According to Harold Reynolds on ESPNews, no Julio as part of the deal.

Just Hariston and two minor leaguers.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3359986

Orioles Triple-A second baseman Mike Fontenot and Double-A right-hander Dave Crouthers — like Hairston, a product of Southern Illinois — are two other players who apparently are under discussion.

Fontenot, 24 years old, Triple-A Ottawa, .279/.346/.420

Just a league average third baseman in the International League so wouldn't expect much of him.

Crouthers, 24 years old, Double-A Bowie, 5.03 ERA/8.6 H9/4.4 W9/8.9 K9/1.45 WHIP

Yikes 24 and still in AA? Second year there for that matter and nothing impressive about him outside the K/9 ratio. Looks like a guy who should have been moved to the bullpen by now.

On the good side, they deal Hairston, who was pretty much in limbo with Roberts playing 2B. I really dont care whether or not they keep Julio..in fact, the Cubs could have him for all I care, I'd rather see BJ Ryan as the closer. Sosa might be able to put up good numbers at Camden..and he's technically still a big name player..

I might like the deal more if they rumor of Farnsworth being included is true, but I doubt it.

And I hope Sosa doesn't dupe them into some rediculous contract extention (suposedly a requirement for him to waive his no trade clause).

2 players chasing 600 homers..

Hmm.

Apparently, whoever the Cubs get will probably be included in the trade for Huff to Tampa Bay which really might be a bad idea. As bad as the O's play vs TB, the last thing they need is to see any of the guys they trade for Sosa haunt them even after Sosa's gone..

So you're saying Hairston could never don a Cubs uniform and go down to Tampa? interesting.

Some things to address:

1)How much of S"O's"a's salary is Baltimore paying?

2)Whither Magglio Ordonez?

Supposedly, from ESPN regarding Sosa's contract..:

The Cubs would pay a substantial part of Sosa's $17 million salary this season, the executives said. Sosa would agree to void his salary in 2006, they also said.

Sosa's contract gives the Cubs an $18 million option in 2006 with a $4.5 million buyout. But the contract says that if he is traded, his 2006 salary would become guaranteed and a 2007 club option would be added at $19 million with a $4.5 million buyout.

I think the $10 million I heard the Cubs are paying is the part of his $17 million this year. Im not sure if they are paying any part of the 2006 contract, and since its now guaranteed at $18 million, if they dont, that would mean the Os would pay him $25 million over the next 2 years. Not really that bad, but now I see why the Cubs are so desperate to trade him, and why there aren't that many teams that are falling over their feet to go after him. And, I really hope that the O's can work something out to where he doesn't get $19 million in 2007...

As far as Ordonez, I would much rather see him as an Oriole than Sosa, but Angelos and company are probably too scared about his injuries to go after him (but the fact they are going after Sosa sorta conflicts with that though..).

Hey how can you beat that 452 OPS+ in 1998?

Okay it was in 10 plate appearances.

Who was Armando Rios traded for in 2001? Don't look it up!

Minnesota Twins manager Ron Gardenhire announced that SP Brad Radke will be the opening day starter. Signed OF Armando Rios to an MLC and invited to ST. Ron Gardenhire said he would start SP Kyle Lohse in the home opener.

Texas Rangers' OF Jason Jones has opted for retirement.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays signed SS Julio Lugo to a 1 year, $3.35 Million contract. They also signed C Toby Hall to a 1 year, $1.95 Million contract.

Arizona Diamondbacks signed MR Kevin Tolar to an MLC and invited to ST.

New York Yankees signed MR Brad Voyles to an MLC and invited to ST. They also signed MR Marc Valdes, MR Aaron Small to MLCs and invited to ST. They re-signed SP Danny Borrell to an MLC and invited to ST. They also signed Cs Joe Depastino, Ryan Hankins, David Parrish, Irwil Rojas, Omar Santos, and Jon-Mark Sprowl to MLCs and invited to ST. They re-signed 2B Homer Bush to an MLC and invited to ST. Signed INF Russ Johnson to an MLC and invited to ST.

Cleveland Indians signed MR Paul Shuey to an MLC and invited to ST.

I think there is going to be a lot fewer people dressed as empty seats in Miami this year.

MIAMI -- The Florida Marlins welcomed fans to Dolphins Stadium today to select their seats for the 2005 season and fans purchased more than $210,000 in season tickets. Today's sales set a Club record, surpassing the previous single-day Select-A-Seat mark of $140,000, set in 2004.

Fans interested in purchasing a season ticket package were invited to walk through the stands as part of the event and choose their vantage point for the upcoming season.

Two more Select-A-Seat events will take place. The next will come on February 12, from 10:00 a.m. -- 4:00 p.m., when the Marlins hold FanFest, a day-long event at the stadium to give fans a behind-the-scenes look and a chance to meet some of the 2005 Marlins. The final Select-A-Seat will come on March 5, from 10:00 a.m. -- 2:00 p.m. For more information, fans can contact the Marlins Season and Group Sales Department at 1.877.MARLINS.

This goes with $150,000 on Wednesday and over $100,000 every day since.

Because of Carlos Delgado?

Hey, what other teams do something similiar to Twinsfest, and a caravan tour where players, and other people involved in the team travel around and visit schools, and other places?

Hey, Czech, it's getting old buddy. You're not half as funny as you think you are. Not in relation to me - in general.

I printed an article that shows he's showing tickets, which is the biggest knock on the Marlins - lack of attendance.

He is the reason. I only pasted half the article.

Hey, what other teams do something similiar to Twinsfest, and a caravan tour where players, and other people involved in the team travel around and visit schools, and other places?

The Mets had the Mets Winter Caravan last week...a few rang the bell for the stock market (I think Beltran, Willie Randolph and Pedro), the players' wives and Mr. Met went to hospitals and helped young women out, a whole bunch were on Mike and the Mad Dog, a few players had free autograph sessions at Mets Clubhouse Shops (David Wright had one at the closest Mets Clubhouse Shop to me - at Roosevelt Field, too bad I couldn't go :(), and whole bunch of other stuff.

Here's an article (with pics)

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb...s_mlb&fext=.jsp

Not trying to be uptight about it. I'm just commenting on the fact that your success rate with jokes is hovering somewhere around 15-20%.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

well that's just cause he doesn't get to do Ye Olde Raw Thread anymore.