TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The Thank GOD the election is over thread

Guest Vitamin X

Thank you rural America, for once again proving my faith in your ignorance.

Why the fuck should I have voted for John Kerry, if not for the "Lesser of Two Evils"?

Because then we're stuck with the greater "evil"?

I'd say that for being a candidate closer to my views.. he flat out surrendered today.

Agreed.

Young people won't vote for someone who has no real spine.

You can register all the god damn people you want, but if you don't give them a choice, they will sit on their asses.

The views of most young people are not adequately met by the current Democratic party

What the hell do most young people seem to have views on anyways besides the decriminalization of marijuana and abortion? And it also seems to me that there's a lot of young Republicans out there, so it's not like things look any better for the left in the future.

Can someone please explain to me why Kerry was nominated over Dean again? My interpretation was that Kerry was seen as a stronger candidate than Dean, but I think I'd disagree with that, especially over the past few months.

I deserve my username changed for not having criticized Kerry enough. Because he was an utterly horrible choice.

Voting against a person < voting for a person.

That's why Clinton won in 1992. People supported him, instead of just hating Bush Sr.

Guest thebigjig
I deserve my username changed for not having criticized Kerry enough. Because he was an utterly horrible choice.

You honestly think DEAN would've faired any better?

I'm proud I voted for Kerry. I grew to like Kerry very much. And now I've accepted that he's lost. Maybe I'm being incredibly optimistic due to an imbalance of some sort, but I feel sorry for Kerry more than anything.

Guest Salacious Crumb
Can someone please explain to me why Kerry was nominated over Dean again? My interpretation was that Kerry was seen as a stronger candidate than Dean, but I think I'd disagree with that, especially over the past few months.

Dean wouldn't have been anywhere near as close as Kerry. This would've been Reagan/Mondale.

Dean wouldn't have been anywhere near as close as Kerry. This would've been Reagan/Mondale.

Speculation, as was my "yes" comment. At least Dean had a fucking spine.

Howard Dean did his best in January, considering that he was fighting against the powers that be in the Democratic party.

Dean wouldn't tell us to wait for the provisionals, and then surrender.

Guest Vitamin X

I also think Dean could've done a better job. Many Democrats and undecideds voted for Bush simply because they didn't like Kerry, he was weak on taking a stand on issues, and seemed to be playing a puppet role for the Democratic party just to get Bush out of office. Now, I'm not turning on Kerry here, but he certainly wasn't my first choice for the Democratic nomination, I would have even put Edwards ahead of him (Dean was my first choice).

Also, historically, when was the last time a senator got elected? Usually the pattern we've been seeing is that voters are seemingly more at ease with electing someone who has had more experience with the executive branch of government, be it state or federal, than Congress.

What scares me most about all this isn't just that Bush won by a larger margin in states that should have been closer or even gone Kerry's way, but that now the majority of Congress is also Republican.

Oh, and please stow away those Obama nominations. No way in hell this country is ready for a woman or black president, even vice president. Let's wait about 2-3 years then we can take a look. Hell, if McCain jumps over to our side for good, that'd be a hell of a candidate to have.

Looking forward to another 4 years of bushisms!!

Bush is going to speak at the Reagan building at 3 p.m. Just three months ago, I worked in the D.C. Council building literally feet away.

Christ, I'd LOVE to be there right about now.

Guest Vitamin X
Hate to break it to you but McCain is never jumping over to the Democratic party

Okay, why?

The best part?

Before John Kerry was nominated, Bush's approval ratings was at his lowest point ever and it seemed he was dead in the water.

The Democrats nominated John Kerry and suddenly Bush's approval ratings went up 10 points.

The Democrats would have been better off not running anyone. They HAD Bush when their candiate was AIR.

Hate to break it to you but McCain is never jumping over to the Democratic party

Okay, why?

He doesn't like the party. He's stated it many many times he will not join the Democratic party to run for President. He MAY go Indy and run, which could be a very good thing since he'd finally give some cred to a third party candiate.

Most McCain will ever do is go Indy and it doesn't appear he even wants to do that.

Okay, why?

Because he's a Republican with Republican values.

He has no reason to become a Democrat.

Guest Vitamin X

Really? I thought McCain frequently broke with his party on a lot of things...

Either way, he's the only candidate I've ever liked on the GOP side in years. Got a lot of respect for the man.

McCain did the bi-partisan horrible campaign bill and he's a free thinker but in the end- he's a Republican.

He will never switch and become a Democrat

Guest thebigjig

McCain endorsed Bush because he had to -- and he made the smart political decision. McCain wants the '08 spot, and if he had endorsed Kerry, even if he had truly wanted to, there's no way the Republican part elite would rally behind him

Guest thebigjig
Just out of curiousity, even though it won't happen.

What do you think McCain's chances would be as a Independent Candiate?

better than Nader's... probably about the same chance as Perot had in 92 before he dropped out.

Guest MikeSC
You honestly think DEAN would've faired any better?

Yes.

As do I, actually. He wouldn't have gotten the kids out to vote (they never will, left. Get over it) --- but people actually wanting to vote FOR a guy might have helped.

But, what do I know? I only said that rage against Bush isn't going to be enough to win the election.

-=Mike

The reason you hear so much of McCain is because Big Media approves of him. Funny how that happens. Yet, Zell, who is way more of a maverick than John could ever be, didn't get a peep from Big Media until he said he supported Bush...