TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Phillies hire Charlie Manuel

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1915690

The Philadelphia Phillies have decided to hire Charlie Manuel to be their new manager, a baseball source who has spoken with the club told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.

Manuel, who managed the Cleveland Indians in 2000, 2001 and part of the 2002 season, is expected to be officially introduced at a news conference Thursday. A news conference had not been scheduled as of Wednesday night.

The 60-year-old Manuel, Jim Leyland and Jim Fregosi had emerged as the three finalists from a field of eight candidates. However, Manuel's familiarity with the club, after two seasons working as a special advisor to general manager Ed Wade, helped separate him from the field.

Manuel will succeed Larry Bowa, who was fired in the final weekend of the 2004 season after a four-year run as manager. The Phillies had three winning seasons under Bowa but failed to reach the postseason.

Jim Leyland gave some troubling quotes about productive outs, so its probably best that he wasn't hired. Manuel comes from a limited major league managing background, but he experienced success with the Cleveland Indians.

Boo. Leyland's won a title, and experienced great success w/ his Pirates teams. Moreover, he wanted to coach the team. To me, it was a no-brainer. Leyland told the team where their problems were, and I assume that's what lost him the job, which is bullshit.

I guess they saw Schilling pick the manager for the Red Sox, and figured it would work out the same here (letting Thome pick the next guy). Somehow, I don't think it's going to work out as well here.

Boo. Leyland's won a title, and experienced great success w/ his Pirates teams. Moreover, he wanted to coach the team. To me, it was a no-brainer. Leyland told the team where their problems were, and I assume that's what lost him the job, which is bullshit.

From Leyland...

"One of the things we talked about is that they swing and miss too much," he said bluntly. "They didn't really make productive outs. We're talking about situational hitting, putting the ball in play, moving runners.

I ran data for these kind of things. There is NO correlation between productive outs and scoring runs. There is no correlation between striking out and failing to score runs. Situational hitting? The Phillies team OPS was .788. It was .784 in Close and Late situations, and with runners in scoring position. It was .770 with runners in scoring position and 2 outs, and .767 with the bases loaded. Negligible differences. Hell, the Phillies finished third in runs scored. That would indicate the problem was their pitching.

Leyland failed to identify the real problems with the team.

I guess they saw Schilling pick the manager for the Red Sox, and figured it would work out the same here (letting Thome pick the next guy). Somehow, I don't think it's going to work out as well here.

Manuel's been with the organization a few years. Thome's a no-nonsense guy, and I doubt he'll start dictating managerial selection. Especially since no one makes a decision involving Thome like they do with a pitcher.

Charlie Manuel is the Phillies version of Rich Kotite.

They were afraid of hiring Leyland because they didn't want someone to actually, you know, call out Wade, Montgomery, and the rest of the ownership on their absolute shit job they have done.

They wanted a puppet, well now they have one. A heary and sincere "Fuck You" to Ed Wade, David Montgomery, and the rest of the douchebags that own the Phillies.