TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anakin Flair

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Ok, so I saw a preview for this tonight when I went to see A Shark's Tale. From the looks of it, this seems to be Jim Carrey's Dr. Strangelove (IE, where he plays nearly every adult role). Now, it looks interesting, and I'll probably check it out, but I was hoping someone could tell me what the frell it's about? Apparently it's based off of a series of Chilren's books, but I don't know what they are about. Anybody know anything about this series, and will anybody be checking this out?

Guest Shutterspeed

I know of these books, but haven't read any of them yet. They seem really good though.

Three kids' are sent to Count Orlaf (Jim Carrey) after their parents die. That's pretty much the plot.

It looks AMAZING and I will try to see it opening day

IT kind of reminded me of Harry Potter in a way, being that it's a movie (that looks incredible) based off of a series of Childrens books. The only difference being that I actually HEARD of Harry Potter.

Guest Shutterspeed

A photo in the December Empire makes it look a lot like Harry Potter too - the characters, colours, set. Jim Carrey looks brilliant in the make-up too.

The books are the works of Lemony Snicket. The basic idea is that bad things happen to kids. Repeatedly. I can't wait to see it.

Oddly enough, my college roommate used to get compared to Jim Carrey until he shaved his head. Now that Carrey's bald in this movie, they look even MORE alike.

Guest Shutterspeed

So Lemony Snicket is a real person? I thought he was fictitious.

I'm just going to leave this thread now, because I haven't read the books and thus have no idea what I'm talking about.

When I saw promotional pictures for this movie, I thought it was Bruce Camble (Ash). I didn't even realize it was Carrey untill they repeatedly said it was him (And him, and him, and him, and him...)

Guest El Satanico

Another Harry Potter link is that the child actor playing the boy in the movie was one of the favorites to play Harry during casting.

All I know is that it's the lesser known British Children's book series, and I believe the author writes them under the name of Lemony Snickets who is the narrator.

Many fans of the books are uncertain about Carrey as Orlof. I guess Orlof is comedic in a dark way and based on the trailers they are uncertian about Carrey doing the character properly.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that Carrey in this film resembles a certian other and much more famous Count Orlof.

This movie looks tremendous. I can easily see it being a big hit and will, hopefully, spawn many sequels (there is already 10 books in the series).

For those who haven't read the books, please consider doing so - they're enjoyable and amusing.