TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest keelebasa

A Poem I Wrote About The Storming Of Fallujah

Guest keelebasa

Hi.

This is my first post on any one of these forums. Thanks to my good friend NoCalMike for introducing me to them. I look forward to many future posts.

It's a poem called "I Smell It In The Air; I See It In The Stars." It's my immediate reaction to learning about the news that our troops are storming the Iraqi city of Fallujah. It's emotional, raw and unrestrained.

I editorialize in the form of free verse in this poem. The positions I take are clear: by any definition, war is hell. And like the Christian 'hell' is defined as the absence of God, war's hell is defined as the absence of Justice.

“I Smell It In The Air; I See It In The Stars”

I smell it in the air; I see it in the stars.

The soldiers storm the city of Fallujah,

Capturing bridges once makeshift gallows.

They cross the great river Euphrates.

What if they release the four angels bound at it?

Not otherworldly demons but corporeal higher beings!

Explosions and fireballs transcending the 4th of July

And the toughest fight has yet to come.

There are going to be fireworks in Iraq!

And more innocent people are going to be killed

In the names of freedom and liberty.

Freedom is the freedom to say: Let us end the occupation;

Let us end the war; Let us give peace a chance.

Give me liberty or give me death?

How about two birds with one stone?

Iraq sends its thanks, America,

With every beheading, with every bomb, with every kidnapping,

Democracy in action!

There is a state of emergency declared in New Babylon.

The lions are on the prowl.

They have already tasted blood and they will drink again

Until their cup of jihad overflows with thick crimson.

A poem I wrote that was inspired by a poem wrote about the storming of Fallujah

I smell it in the air

I see it in the stars

But that poem about Fallujah

Looks worse than what comes out of my arse

Look at all the liberal hippies

That declare that war is hell

Why we should have let Hitler run through Europe

Im sure that would have been swell

What many people fail to see

Is that war is a neccesity

To ensure that people all around the world

Are granted the same freedoms as you and me

That's all i can be bothered dong now

Guest Loss

War is death. The liberals I know just want peace, and they're made fun of for it. Sometimes, war is accompanied by a rebuilding process and a nation is better for in the long run, sometimes not. But your point is like saying that if a man beats his wife and she leaves him, that he gets credit because he woke her up and made her do the right thing.

Guest keelebasa

A general comment: LABELING subtracts from the intelligence of public discourse.

I'm not a 'hippie,' a 'liberal' or any other nonsensical term. I go beyond terms.

MrRant,

You assume I'm a liberal.

Agent of Oblivion,

You're welcome.

kkk. . .,

I'm not a hippie.

Can you name one 'good' war in the history of the world? War isn't good. People aren't good. Both are inherently selfish and the former comes from the latter.

Hi to you as well. I know Mike through Internet only, since our teenage years. Bizarre, ain't it?

Prime Time,

I'm not a "liberal hippie." How can you muster the nerve to compare the Iraqi War to World War II? Saddam Hussein was no Adolf Hitler. Do you sincerely believe Saddam could've conquered all of the Middle East? I certainly hope not.

Loss,

Thanks. I'm not a liberal though. I'm not a conservative either. My politics are much more complex than simply choosing 'less' or 'more' on the issues of freedom, government and taxes.

Another general comment:

Read some previous CE threads before commenting. You'll thank me later.

If you're friends with NoCal, you're ok by me...

:cheers:

...hippie. (Didn't he warn you about this folder?...)

Guest Cerebus

I'm going to use this thread as a platform for my own brand of political poetry. Here's a haiku I wrote in college:

I pity the fool

Who ain't got 'nuff smarts ta see

I'm one bad haiku

Thank you. Thank you.

Guest MikeSC

War is death. The liberals I know just want peace, and they're made fun of for it. Sometimes, war is accompanied by a rebuilding process and a nation is better for in the long run, sometimes not. But your point is like saying that if a man beats his wife and she leaves him, that he gets credit because he woke her up and made her do the right thing.

And you're assuming conservatives just LOVE war. We're fighting because the options don't exist. We tried ignoring Islamofascism and suffered for it. We're fighting --- so our kids won't have to.

-=Mike

Guest Cerebus
Cerebus, hurry up and make the inevitable follow-up to "shut your mouth"

Just talkin' about CE!

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Can you name one 'good' war in the history of the world? War isn't good. People aren't good. Both are inherently selfish and the former comes from the latter.

When the Mongols had most of the world held hostage from the back of a horse. That was fuckin' awesome.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I'm sure the Jews living in Europe around WWII would strongly disagree with you. I'm also sure every single American who has half a brain would say differently about the Revolutionary War.

Guest Loss
And you're assuming conservatives just LOVE war.

I don't know that that's true, but when I think of Nixon, I think of Vietnam. When I think of Reagan, I think of the Cold War. When I think of George HW Bush, I think of the Gulf War. When I think of our current President, I think of the war in Iraq. I don't think of war when I think of Bill Clinton or Jimmy Carter.

We're fighting because the options don't exist. We tried ignoring Islamofascism and suffered for it.

Then, let's go where the Islamofascists are. They aren't in Iraq. They're in Afghanistan. We have absolutely no business in Iraq. Iraq had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11. NOTHING.

We're fighting --- so our kids won't have to.

-=Mike

The same thing was said during Vietnam, and their children are fighting in this war. If things keep going the way they are, it's possible that two generations of family could end up serving in Iraq.

Guest Salacious Crumb
I don't know that that's true, but when I think of Nixon, I think of Vietnam. When I think of Reagan, I think of the Cold War. When I think of George HW Bush, I think of the Gulf War. When I think of our current President, I think of the war in Iraq. I don't think of war when I think of Bill Clinton or Jimmy Carter.

Nixon came into office after a Democrat president had started the conflict though. And Reagan never really used the military during the Cold War, it was more getting the Russians to spend themselves to death. Clinton actually used the military a lot. We still have soldiers occupying two countries thanks to him and tensions were very high with China during the last years of his Presidency due to the army hitting one of their buildings by mistake. Things only got better when they got caught flying too close to that plane that crashed during the early days of the Bush presidency.

Guest Loss

I'm well aware of that, and I think Clinton's foreign policy was among the worst there has ever been for any President in this country. Call it a misnomer if you wish, but most of the efforts that happened under his watch were labeled as peacekeeping efforts. We heard very little about Iraq after the Gulf War ended and suddenly it was a hot button issue again when another Bush was in office.